Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Uninformed

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Uninformed »

“Extinction Rebellion trial delayed as accused glues hand to table”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-57064293
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“It was late on a Wednesday night when the sheriff of Saguache County in Colorado asked Corporal Steven Hansen to investigate a report of a death.
A body, he was told, had been found at a house in a remote cul-de-sac near Moffat, a mountain-flanked town of about 100 people.
Within hours, he executed a warrant to search the house. Inside, he was disturbed by what he saw.
In one of the bedrooms, a shrine had been made for what Mr Hansen described as the mummified remains of what appeared to be a woman.
Placed on the bed, the woman's body was cocooned in a sleeping bag adorned with Christmas lights, while glitter make-up had been applied around her eyes.”
The body is believed to be that of Amy Carlson, the 45-year-old spiritual leader of Love Has Won, a religious group branded a cult by critics and police.

“Love Has Won: Family's grief at death of mummified cult leader”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57017270
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's infuriating and sad at the same time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
duck dodgers
Verified: ✅ Until 23,500

Post by duck dodgers »

I'm not a lawyer, but I saw this section in the new Comcast Terms of Service Agreement:
ACCESS TO YOUR PREMISES

To provide you with the Services, we may need to enter your Premises. We may have our agents enter your Premises on our behalf. You agree that we (or our agents) may enter your Premises at reasonable times to install, configure, maintain, inspect, upgrade, replace, and remove the Services.

You represent and warrant that you own the Premises or have obtained the authority to give us access to the Premises. If you do not own the Premises, you agree to supply the owner’s name, address, and phone number, and evidence that the owner has approved our access, upon request.
To me, agreeing to this would appear to give Comcast or its "agents" permission enter my house whenever they feel like it, whether or not I am home.

Am I missing something?
"You can syndicate any boat you row"
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

duck dodgers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:19 pm I'm not a lawyer, but I saw this section in the new Comcast Terms of Service Agreement:
ACCESS TO YOUR PREMISES

To provide you with the Services, we may need to enter your Premises. We may have our agents enter your Premises on our behalf. You agree that we (or our agents) may enter your Premises at reasonable times to install, configure, maintain, inspect, upgrade, replace, and remove the Services.

You represent and warrant that you own the Premises or have obtained the authority to give us access to the Premises. If you do not own the Premises, you agree to supply the owner’s name, address, and phone number, and evidence that the owner has approved our access, upon request.
To me, agreeing to this would appear to give Comcast or its "agents" permission enter my house whenever they feel like it, whether or not I am home.

Am I missing something?
:shock:

What? No, Comcast/Xfinity is not coming into my home without my express consent. That's some BS. :fuckyou:
tek

Post by tek »

I don't read that as saying they can just waltz in.
duck dodgers

Post by duck dodgers »

tek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm I don't read that as saying they can just waltz in.
Thanks, tek, although if it does not say that, I wonder at the purpose of such a clause. If you deny them access to fix your service, would that not effectively terminate your service.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Uninformed wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm :snippity:
The body is believed to be that of Amy Carlson, the 45-year-old spiritual leader of Love Has Won, a religious group branded a cult by critics and police.

“Love Has Won: Family's grief at death of mummified cult leader”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57017270
This group showed up on Kauai's north shore about 2 years ago. Carlson claimed to be a Hawaiian goddess and included a lot of Hawaiian culture into to her cult. Locals were not happy and set out to make her leave. Shined bright lights into the house during the night, circled the house blowing horns, etc. At some point windows were broken. The police intervened. In short order, the cult decided to move to Maui, and police helped them leave. They did move to Maui, but that didn't last for long.

I didn't know anything about the cult and was surprised by the anger when it showed up on Kauai and Maui. However, apparently it was well known on the mainland for the damage it did to families. From the link: "In a court document, which the BBC has seen, the Saguache County Sheriff's Office said it had "received many complaints from families within the United States saying that the group is brainwashing people and stealing their money".
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.billboard.com
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Reveals Class of 2021

On Wednesday (May 12) morning, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced which of this year's nominees will be inducted at the 2021 ceremony on Oct. 30 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Alt-rock veterans Foo Fighters, new wave pioneers The Go-Go's, East Coast hip-hop icon JAY-Z, singer-songwriter north star Carole King, mercurial rock savant Todd Rundgren and Queen of Rock n' Roll Tina Turner make up the Class of 2021. Of the 2021 performer inductees, Turner, King and Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl are already in the Rock Hall: King as part of the songwriting duo Goffin/King, making her the first person in the Rock Hall as a performer and non-performer; Turner for her incendiary work in the R&B duo Ike & Tina Turner; and Grohl as drummer of grunge legends Nirvana.

But that's not all. Early rap pioneer LL Cool J, keyboard master Billy Preston and hard rock guitar ace Randy Rhoads are also joining the Rock Hall with the "award for musical excellence" (which was originally titled the "sidemen" category when it debuted). And under the "early influence award" category, electronic trailblazers Kraftwerk, spoken-word poet Gil Scott-Heron and Father of the Delta Blues Charley Patton are joining the RRHOF. Music impresario Clarence Avant is the recipient of the Ahmet Ertegun award.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

duck dodgers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm
tek wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 pm I don't read that as saying they can just waltz in.
Thanks, tek, although if it does not say that, I wonder at the purpose of such a clause. If you deny them access to fix your service, would that not effectively terminate your service.
It’s so you can’t deny them access to come in and get their routers and set top boxes if you do terminate. And if you call to complain about an outage, you have to let them in so they can fix it.

And the key is reasonableness.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

While having little affection for Facebook...

“Facebook moderator: ‘Every day was a nightmare’”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57088382
duck dodgers

Post by duck dodgers »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm
duck dodgers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm
It’s so you can’t deny them access to come in and get their routers and set top boxes if you do terminate. And if you call to complain about an outage, you have to let them in so they can fix it.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes some sense now.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... en-charged
Prosecutors have charged seven people after the mummified body of the leader of a spiritual group called Love Has Won was found decorated with Christmas lights and glitter in what appeared to be a shrine in a southern Colorado home.

Amy Carlson, 45, who was known as “Mother God” by her followers, was found dead in a home in the tiny, rural town of Moffat on 28 April, according to arrest affidavits. Each of the defendants is facing charges related to tampering with or abusing a corpse as well as child abuse.

A coroner’s office has not said how or when Carlson died.

One of Carlson’s followers, who has not been charged, told investigators that he took in the group because they needed a place to stay, and he found the body in a back bedroom when he returned home from a trip to Denver. He called police and said he believed the group had brought Carlson’s body to his home from California.

“The mummified remains appeared to be set up in some type of shrine” and “have what appears to be glitter type makeup on around the eyes”, according to the affidavits. Investigators searched an SUV on the property and said the backseat was laid down in a position “consistent with someone transporting the mummified remains”.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Scat (tering) this here for someone to step in on...

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/science/ ... /100131336

A lot has changed for humans over the past 2,000 years.

Key points:

International researchers analysed microbial DNA in 1,000-2,000-year-old human faeces
They compared these microbial genomes to those found in modern samples from Western and developing countries
The gut microbes from the present-day non-industrial population were more similar to those in the ancient samples than they were to the urban samples
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My super organized sister and her wife are visiting here from Seattle. My sweetie always planned on getting all his tools, etc. organized once he retired. Unfortunately, he passed away before that could happen, and what do I know about tools? What am I going to do with two floor jacks, a 32' fiberglass extension ladder, and more funnels than you can shake a stick at? So today my sister (retired carpenter) was tackling the garage while my sister-in-law was trying to find all the model tractors in the basement to give to my Iowa farming relatives (my husband's father was a tractor mechanic).

Anyway, we decided to eat supper at a favorite local buffet restaurant which has a wonderful salad bar and excellent hot entrees. We went there last night and it was just lightly busy - about what you would expect in a waning pandemic. Tonight? Oh my... lots of Muslims celebrating the end of Ramadan. Very busy. Lots of families. Just a cheerful place to be. I'm so glad we went!
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

“Family's grief at death of mummified cult leader” makes it sound like they mummified her first, and then were saddened when she died. :shock:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

roadscholar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 pm “Family's grief at death of mummified cult leader” makes it sound like they mummified her first, and then were saddened when she died. :shock:
:eek:

:sick:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

roadscholar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 pm “Family's grief at death of mummified cult leader” makes it sound like they mummified her first, and then were saddened when she died. :shock:
From the article I read, that’s pretty much what happened. Her family didn’t find out about her death until after she was mummified. I read an article today (can’t recall where, but probably The Washington Post) that said authorities believe she died in California, and the cult members moved her to Denver, where her remains were discovered by the land-owner. The remains had apparently been decorated with glitter and Christmas lights.

It’s horrible.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News
@CBSNews
A massive, full-scale replica of the Titanic is under construction in China. The ship will offer a “five-star cruise service” once opened but will remain stationary, as it's landlocked.
Well, no worries about sinking then. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 pm My super organized sister and her wife are visiting here from Seattle. My sweetie always planned on getting all his tools, etc. organized once he retired. Unfortunately, he passed away before that could happen, and what do I know about tools? What am I going to do with two floor jacks, a 32' fiberglass extension ladder, and more funnels than you can shake a stick at? So today my sister (retired carpenter) was tackling the garage while my sister-in-law was trying to find all the model tractors in the basement to give to my Iowa farming relatives (my husband's father was a tractor mechanic).

Anyway, we decided to eat supper at a favorite local buffet restaurant which has a wonderful salad bar and excellent hot entrees. We went there last night and it was just lightly busy - about what you would expect in a waning pandemic. Tonight? Oh my... lots of Muslims celebrating the end of Ramadan. Very busy. Lots of families. Just a cheerful place to be. I'm so glad we went!
That sounds wonderful. :bighug:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:45 am
CBS News
@CBSNews
A massive, full-scale replica of the Titanic is under construction in China. The ship will offer a “five-star cruise service” once opened but will remain stationary, as it's landlocked.
They could turn it into an action adventure and have it sink everyday. Tip on end, scatter everyone, and then right itself. Good times.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm

Correct. IANAL, but I've put clauses like that in many of our agreements. It's boiler plate. You are agreeing to give consent if access to their equipment is requested. They retain ownership of all equipment used to access their service. Customers are just renting it. By signing up for their service, you are agreeing to allow a representative that asks to be on your property, or to come into your premises, to service that equipment. You are not giving them blanket access to your home or property. Neither are you granting a right of way. Refusing them entry upon request during normal business hours can be grounds for service termination.

The language indemnifies them from providing service. There are customers that want magical repairs. Customers want their cable TV to work, but they don't want to let you inside to figure out the problem. If you refuse them at the door, the cable company can cut service, and not be worried about why your cable isn't working. They have a bazillion of those boxes. They aren't too worried about getting them back. There's a good chance they would just go to e-waste anyway. Somewhere in the agreement is a clause that allows them to charge you the replacement value should you not surrender the equipment.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Happy NRSC Day, peeps!

That's North Raleigh Swim Club, today is opening day. Only a few problems:

1) The pool is not heated and we haven't exactly had any real 90° days yet to heat it up. 2) Today is only going up to about 71°, and It won't be over 80° until next Friday! 3) The lifeguards are all high school students, so the pool doesn't open until 4:00 p.m. on weekdays until school lets out. That may have changed this year - I don't know whether our county is online only or whether the kids are actually in school. And it's not worth checking on that until the water is warm enough to swim in it.

But the pool is open, so that's a good thing. 8-)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Throw in enough chlorine, and you'll be fine.

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:45 am
CBS News
@CBSNews
Someone (an Australian, I think) is trying to build an actual, operating replica, to be called Titanic II. It will be externally very similar to the original, but will have modern mechanicals and passenger amenities. So far, they haven't, to my knowledge, begun construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II

Return to “General Stuff”