Hijack This Thread

MsDaisy
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Ho-Lee Crap! I went into our local Bed Bath and Beyond for potholders today and there was commotion just by where I was so I looked over and there was a little 5 y/o man lying on the floor. I walked over to see if they needed help only to discover the 5 y/o had been stabbed in the stomach with a knife by his 3y/o little brother who just picked up the knife off a shelf! :shock:

It wasn’t a very deep wound and his mother was holding pressure. I stayed with them until the first EMS arrived. As I was leaving the store the parking lot was being filled with cop cars more ambulances, and fire trucks!

I’m sure the little man is going to be fine, but beam the poor little fella some good healing energy anyway! AND some for the little brother who I'm sure was just playing and didn't really intend to kill his brother and probably feels pretty awful about it all!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Golly! Good wishes beamed (or zoomed, as I used to say before...y'know).

:grouphug:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Good news story

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-09- ... /100423910

Three years after the Indonesian island of Lombok was devastated by earthquakes, a team of Australian and Indonesian charity organisations have set up Asia's first sustainable and earthquake-resistant school on the island.

Key points:

SDN 4 Taman Sari was built with recycled plastics broken down into granules and mixed with wood fibres
It was built in less than a week could last for more than 100 years
The elasticity of the blocks makes them safer than traditional construction materials in earthquake-prone areas
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I have some work to catch up on today, but that’s ok.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is she thinking of May Day or is she upset some people got a paid day off? Hey lady, it's not just government offices that are closed. So are the banks.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:55 pm Is she thinking of May Day or is she upset some people got a paid day off? Hey lady, it's not just government offices that are closed. So are the banks.
As a political-economist, Marx picked up and ran with Ricardo's Labor Theory of Value. I guess anything honoring "labor" is suspect to some minds - especially those tenuously tethered to reality.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

This is new to me, and needs some fact checking. But, my gut says it is all true. Damnit. :blackeye:

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:03 pm Ho-Lee Crap! I went into our local Bed Bath and Beyond for potholders today and there was commotion just by where I was so I looked over and there was a little 5 y/o man lying on the floor. I walked over to see if they needed help only to discover the 5 y/o had been stabbed in the stomach with a knife by his 3y/o little brother who just picked up the knife off a shelf! :shock:

It wasn’t a very deep wound and his mother was holding pressure. I stayed with them until the first EMS arrived. As I was leaving the store the parking lot was being filled with cop cars more ambulances, and fire trucks!

I’m sure the little man is going to be fine, but beam the poor little fella some good healing energy anyway! AND some for the little brother who I'm sure was just playing and didn't really intend to kill his brother and probably feels pretty awful about it all!
Glad you were there to offer comfort and aid.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:28 pm This is new to me, and needs some fact checking. But, my gut says it is all true. Damnit. :blackeye:

According to Snopes, much, but not all, is true.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/07/29/ ... -rushmore/
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:56 pm
According to Snopes, much, but not all, is true.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/07/29/ ... -rushmore/
Thank you!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

If I can’t reach a website because of ‘rate limiting’, does that mean the site is under attack?

I can’t reach PayPal.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, that's standard for a DDOS attack.
Image Image Image Image
Dave from down under

My first thought was "open window"...

But this the fogbow and so I should not spread falsehoods without knowing the details..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/ ... /100445588

A Russian government minister, who once served in President Vladimir Putin's security detail, has died in the Arctic while trying to save the life of a film director who fell into a river.

Key points:
Yevgeny Zinichev was in the remote city of Norilsk to oversee training exercises in the area
He died after trying to save a filmmaker who stepped on a wet rock and fell from a cliff
Vladimir Putin says the loss is "irreparable" for him
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Internet is out. Only way to waste time is on my phone, using my data.

Sighs.....
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Coming from a science-nerdy family, I appreciated this graphic.

Dave from down under

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... /100448016

If lockdown wasn't incentive enough to grow some facial hair, the hypothesis that humans evolved beards to protect themselves from punches to the face has been tested, and its findings awarded an Ig Nobel Peace Prize.

Key points:
The Ig Nobel Prizes are awarded yearly for unusual scientific achievements
Research into transporting rhinos, bacteria in chewing gum, and breathing was recognised this year
The prizes were presented to the winners by genuine Nobel laureates
The Ig Nobels celebrate science that "first makes people laugh, and then think", and are organised by US publication the Annals of Improbable Research.

Ten prizes are given annually for legitimate research in areas like psychology, acoustics, economics and physics.

This year's winners were awarded a $10,000,000,000,000 bill from Zimbabwe, and a PDF document that can be printed and assembled to make a three-dimensional gear with teeth (the gear teeth are pictures of human teeth).

The Ig Nobel Peace Prize was given to a trio of scientists in America who found that human beards protect vulnerable regions of the facial skeleton from damaging strikes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... de-picnics
Lavish picnics and family feasts might not be the first things that come to mind when you think “cemetery”, but from Pagans holding silent dinners to Victorians dining alfresco among the gravestones, England’s food traditions have long been shaped by death – it’s only modern sensibilities that steer us away from celebration. But, as part of Heritage Open Days, Friends of Wombwell Cemetery in Barnsley, South Yorkshire has revived the tradition.

Established in 1994, Heritage Open Days is England’s largest festival of history and culture, and gives visitors a chance to look around some of England’s most historic places. This year’s theme, Edible England, will feature almost 4,000 events, including picnics, tasting tours and performances. The entire programme, which runs from 10-19 September, is free, including access to many sites that usually charge for admission. And for the second year running, there will be virtual tours and online discussions running in addition to the live events.

CemeTreats & Funeral Feasts at Wombwell Cemetery, which runs on 17 and 18 September, will include a talk on funeral traditions involving food around the world, followed by a chance to take home recipes to try out. There will also be an opportunity to learn about the history of Wombwell, with information provided by the Wombwell Heritage Group.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

As heard at recent Funeral Dinner party - "Is dried coffee creamer usually this chunky and hard to blend?"
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:06 am As heard at recent Funeral Dinner party - "Is dried coffee creamer usually this chunky and hard to blend?"
Uncle Ralph‽
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The world needs a gorilla Covid vaccine
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:clap:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’ve been wondering where Anonymous has been. Did they do anything of note during the Orange Regime?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”