Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 pm Spouse of a Supreme Court Justice:
Thomas is indeed a well-known right-wing organizer and conspiracy theorist. She provided Trump with several memos outlining what she believed to be government officials unfaithful to Trump, lobbied successfully for appointments of Trump loyalists to government posts, and along with other activists met with him in 2019 to discuss “appointments … that they accused the president’s aides of blocking,” for example. In 2016 — as Snopes reported in an October 2020 investigation, she was also part of efforts to promote false talking points regarding illegal voting by immigrants in the 2016 election.
She also organized and funded buses of pootriats to the Jan. 6th insurrection, which she’s tried to step back from.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:38 pm
Thomas is indeed a well-known right-wing organizer and conspiracy theorist. She provided Trump with several memos outlining what she believed to be government officials unfaithful to Trump, lobbied successfully for appointments of Trump loyalists to government posts, and along with other activists met with him in 2019 to discuss “appointments … that they accused the president’s aides of blocking,” for example. In 2016 — as Snopes reported in an October 2020 investigation, she was also part of efforts to promote false talking points regarding illegal voting by immigrants in the 2016 election.
She also organized and funded buses of pootriats to the Jan. 6th insurrection, which she’s tried to step back from.
This is the Snopes article the above came from, which says that’s false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ginni-thomas-buses/
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:38 pm

This is the Snopes article the above came from, which says that’s false.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ginni-thomas-buses/
Interesting rebuttal, basically comes down to Charlie Kirk/tpusa are full of shit. Still, kind of falls in the lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas field to me.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Well done "Freddy" Halloween costume! :clap:

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

it a TV review
Hawking: Can You Hear Me? review – a startling, harrowing look at Stephen’s secret life
This intimate portrait of genius physicist Stephen Hawking shows the true toll of his physical decline on his family, via revealing interviews with his first wife and children

Lucy Mangan
Mon 20 Sep 2021 22.50 BST

The brief history of Stephen Hawking is one we all know. Diagnosed at the age of 21 with motor neurone disease and given three years to live, he went on to marry his sweetheart Jane, have three children and become – despite increasingly severe disability and many health crises – a groundbreaking physicist and cosmologist. He was also a member of the Royal Society, the Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge (a seat once held by Newton) and a world-famous author and lionised public figure after writing the bestselling A Brief History of Time. He died in 2018 at the age of 76.

You could easily fill a documentary with stories of his genius. What Hawking: Can You Hear Me? (Sky Documentaries) did was take on the trickier task of illuminating the man and examining what it took, from him and all those around this hyper-focused, hyper-competitive mind, to accomplish all that he did.

It was as much a portrait – detailed and compassionate – of the effects of severe disability on a marriage and family as anything else. Jane, his wife for 30 years, was interviewed at length and provided quiet insight, all the more harrowing for its understatement, into the psychological toll of caring for an increasingly incapacitated spouse who wouldn’t talk about his illness and who would only accept outside help when it became a matter of survival.

Their children were interviewed extensively, too. “All the time I knew my father he was 24 hours off dying,” said Lucy, born seven years after his diagnosis. The youngest son, Tim, was six when Hawking lost the ability to speak. When his father got the voice synthesiser he recalled it as “a golden era of communication for us”, despite the waits for responses after every childish question. “You never quite knew what to do with yourself!” Robert remembered his father still being able to go upstairs with support, but it being hard to get his attention (“like a lot of fathers, I suppose”) when he was deep in thought about (unlike most fathers) quantum mechanics, general relativity and the prospect – tantalisingly close, to his extraordinary mind – of uniting the two to create a mathematical theory to explain the universe.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ecret-life
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. — For more than eight years in the Senate, Al Franken largely stifled the funny, as though he coexisted with a powerful alter ego in desperate need of submission: Senator Franken and "Saturday Night Live" Al. He had to watch everything he said. He dared to be dull.

No longer. Now, everything is political roadkill for his new comedy tour.

The recovering politician visited this bucolic college town Saturday to launch “The Only Former U.S. Senator Currently on Tour Tour,” which pokes fun at several of Franken’s former colleagues. Actually, make that many.

This is his first extended standup stint since he resigned from the U.S. Senate in January 2018 after several women accused him of groping during photo sessions and inappropriate kissing, allegations he has vigorously denied. If he no longer sits in Congress, if he did not receive the due process that he sorely wishes he had, why, Franken can bite the hands that once amicably slapped his back.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

A rant by Stonekettle; roughly “elect politicians you can trust”.

“You can't trust the government!”:
https://www.stonekettle.com/2021/09/rec ... -2021.html
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Love the costume, neon! Is that your hiking friend?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Magic Circle elects Megan Swann as first female president
Kaya Burgess
Wednesday September 22 2021, 12.00pm BST, The Times

The Magic Circle has elected its first female president in its 116-year history, choosing a 28-year-old magician who has been involved in the society since she was ten.

Megan Swann is the youngest magician to take on the role at the prestigious magic club, which was founded in 1905. She uses her background in wildlife conservation to devise tricks with an environmental theme and teach children about ways to combat climate change.

Swann, whose real name is Megan Knowles-Bacon, said that female magicians were becoming much more common thanks to a growing number of female performers in the limelight and on TV. She added that she was no longer assumed to be a magician’s assistant when she walked on stage.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/magi ... -rmw8lqqs6
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hadn't seen anything about this guy before.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I don't think we want any more of him either.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Not an actual translation, but pretty accurate with how things went down.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Croatian police solve mystery of woman with no memory found on rock
Daniela Adamcova, say police, is a Slovakian who once lived in LA and designed jewellery for Hollywood stars

Jon Henley, Europe correspondent
Wed 22 Sep 2021 16.19 BST

A woman rescued from a Croatian island with no memory of how she got there, where she came from or who she was, has been identified as a Slovakian former designer who had lived in the US and made jewellery for celebrities including Diana Ross.

Croatian police on Wednesday named the woman as Daniela or Dana Adamcova, 57, adding that her identity had been established after friends and acquaintances from Croatia and Slovakia recognised her from a photograph released on Monday.

The news site 24Sata said confirmation of Adamcova’s identity had also come from the US, where she lived on and off until 2015, reportedly selling jewellery to stars including Brigitte Bardot and Barbra Streisand. Her work also featured in the series Friends.

She was discovered on 12 September on the island of Krk, sitting on a jagged rock close to the sea in a remote part of the island. Police said she spoke “perfect English” but had no ID or phone.

Officials on Wednesday described her condition as stable and said she was responding to treatment in the hospital in the town of Rijeka on the Croatian mainland. Social services would take over once she was discharged from hospital care, they said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -no-memory
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

York PA, Southeastern part of the state, conservative*

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... -of-colour
A wide-ranging ban on books in a southern Pennsylvania school district has been reversed following widespread protests and criticism.

The ban, which was implemented last October by the Central York school board, focused almost entirely on titles by or about people of colour, with a lengthy list of works by acclaimed authors including Jacqueline Woodson, Ileoma Oluo and Ibram X Kendi all prohibited. Teachers were informed that titles including Malala Yousafzai’s autobiography and children’s books about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr were also banned, along with articles and videos, including a documentary about the writing of James Baldwin.

While school officials told CNN the educational resources were not banned, rather “frozen” while the board vetted them, the situation continued for almost a year. One teacher, who chose to remain anonymous, described the ban as “disgusting” to local paper the York Dispatch, adding: “Let’s just call it what it is – every author on that list is a Black voice.”
*Description probably not necessary.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

A little bit of gravity might help this situation.

I will join Frater in letting myself out...
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:29 pm A little bit of gravity might help this situation.

I will join Frater in letting myself out...
:rimshot:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I particularly like Popehat’s latest name “ThousandIslandVaccineHat”. :biggrin:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

There are far worse ways you could spend the next five or ten minutes than reading this thread. It’s all about Facebook and privacy and international law and Myanmar and some interesting things and genocide. It’s got it all!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Uninformed wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 pm I particularly like Popehat’s latest name “ThousandIslandVaccineHat”. :biggrin:
Now he’s “Imeachhat.”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I remember the Gold Star Mothers in the Memorial Day parades back in the 50s and 60s. They rode in open convertibles.

Return to “General Stuff”