Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

noblepa

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

Uninformed wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 pm
roadscholar wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:52 am That link doesn't work for me. But:...
Thanks. (works for me :confuzzled:)
Works for me too.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, are we sure that wasn't one a them space lasers? :doh:

I reckon we need to show that to Marjorie. :nope:

Yesterday I joined a meeting - the County Convention of the Wake County Democratic Party - at 10:30 a.m.

In the morning.

We finished the meeting and wrapped it up at 11:55 p.m.

You're reading that correctly. The meeting lasted thirteen hours and twenty five minutes. :doh:

When we started, there were 900 people in the Zoom. :shock:

Eleventy seben of them had never Zoomed before.
Chair: At this time we are accepting nominations for chair [it was her last day, we were voting for her replacement]. If you would like to nominate someone, please raise your hand. OK, I see a moron who has his hand raised.

Moron: I have been trying for 3 hours to find out if I am credentialed. Am I credentialed?

Chair: You are, but that's out of order at this point. We're just doing nominations for chair now. Only nominations for chair. I see another moron with her hand raised.

Second moron: I didn't mean to raise my hand. I don't want to nominate anybody. Never mind.

Chair: OK, but does anyone have a name of someone they'd like to nominate? I see a third moron.

Third moron: I can't see any names on my online ballot. How do I vote for anybody if I can't see any names?

Chair: That's because WE STILL DON'T HAVE ANY NOMINATIONS. They're going to add the names when we know who's running!
And in the chat, lots of people saying "How do you use this Zoom thing anyway?"

So, umm ... yeah. Tons of fun. But I agreed to do the job, and we had resolutions that were long and numerous, and we finally elected all the positions by about 7:30 and got started on the resolutions, and right before I signed out at five minutes before midnight, I heard one of the officers in the background say, "Can you believe there are still 200 people here?"

And I was one of the 200.

Did I miss anything? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm excited. I actually have EVENTS on my calendar. For the past year, about the only event on my calendar was a reminder about the Fogbow Zoom meetings.

I had Easter at my brother's. No masks. Tomorrow night I'm attending a college film festival (socially distanced) with my brother's family. My nephew is coming up Thursday to help me recycle some heavy objects. I'm having lunch with a friend IN A RESTAURANT in a week. Ironically, the last time I ate out in a restaurant was with her in March 2020 as things were shutting down. In May my Seattle sister and her wife are coming for a week or two to help me with organizing my house. And on, and on. Just life resuming. Slowly, maybe, but surely. :blissy:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Onomatopoeia
Shouldn’t that be spelled more like it sounds?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Danraft wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 pm Onomatopoeia
That has to be one of the greatest words ever invented. I don't remember the actual moment that I first was introduced to that word, but I remember that I thought it was a great and cool word. :lol: Onomatopoeia, what a happy word.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:40 am
Danraft wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 pm Onomatopoeia
That has to be one of the greatest words ever invented. I don't remember the actual moment that I first was introduced to that word, but I remember that I thought it was a great and cool word. :lol: Onomatopoeia, what a happy word.
That was 8th grade or so for me.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Not to make the last name pronunciation off topic continue in the Antimasker thread, I got one for ya's -

Skryzpk
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:56 pm I'm excited. I actually have EVENTS on my calendar. For the past year, about the only event on my calendar was a reminder about the Fogbow Zoom meetings.

I had Easter at my brother's. No masks. Tomorrow night I'm attending a college film festival (socially distanced) with my brother's family. My nephew is coming up Thursday to help me recycle some heavy objects. I'm having lunch with a friend IN A RESTAURANT in a week. Ironically, the last time I ate out in a restaurant was with her in March 2020 as things were shutting down. In May my Seattle sister and her wife are coming for a week or two to help me with organizing my house. And on, and on. Just life resuming. Slowly, maybe, but surely. :blissy:
:dance: We are visiting grandkids!!!!!!!! First time since July 4.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am Not to make the last name pronunciation off topic continue in the Antimasker thread, I got one for ya's -

Skryzpk
► Show Spoiler
Off Topic
I'd like to buy a vowel, please! :lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RVInit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:40 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am Not to make the last name pronunciation off topic continue in the Antimasker thread, I got one for ya's -

Skryzpk
► Show Spoiler
Off Topic
I'd like to buy a vowel, please! :lol:
My husband who grew up in Iowa but learned Czech as a child taught me a number of Czech words. Krk is neck. Prst is finger. It turns out that r can be a vowel in Czech.
filly

Post by filly »

When I was a young lawyer a client contact had a Czech last name with lots of consonants in a row. His name would appear in my time sheets/billing records. Every month I'd get a phone call from our firm's Managing Partner questioning whether this was a typo. :roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

So...I'm having a nice Monday off, only thing I needed to do was make a run to Fred Meyer for grocery pickup. I have two options from the Redondo location, take a right hand turn and head down the hill on Kent Des Moines Road or take a left and head down an smaller arterial. Six of one, half dozen of the other to get home in the same time.

Damn, but I took the arterial and out of nowhere an oncoming vehicle veers into my lane and shows no sign of stopping. I tried to stop and honked and tried to get as far right as I could, but no go. I suspect it's totaled. I couldn't even get out of the front door until they moved some of the twisted metal. I might have some sore muscles in a while, but nothing's broken or bleeding except my car...

The other driver though - minutes before she hit me, she'd hit another driver nearby and left the scene, so lots of confusion over who was who, and who was hurt the worst - which was the driver at fault. They took her away in an ambulance and the lady at the house nearby did get a look at the perp and she'd smashed her head pretty good on the driver wheel.

So, likely a totaled car and will have to shop for a new one, plus a rental in the meantime. The other driver is getting a whole bunch of criminal charges.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 pm Damn, but I took the arterial and out of nowhere an oncoming vehicle veers into my lane and shows no sign of stopping. I tried to stop and honked and tried to get as far right as I could, but no go. I suspect it's totaled. I couldn't even get out of the front door until they moved some of the twisted metal. I might have some sore muscles in a while, but nothing's broken or bleeding except my car...
Well... dang! That’ll put a damper on your day. I’m glad that nothing major happened to your body. :bighug:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:40 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 pm Damn, but I took the arterial and out of nowhere an oncoming vehicle veers into my lane and shows no sign of stopping. I tried to stop and honked and tried to get as far right as I could, but no go. I suspect it's totaled. I couldn't even get out of the front door until they moved some of the twisted metal. I might have some sore muscles in a while, but nothing's broken or bleeding except my car...
Well... dang! That’ll put a damper on your day. I’m glad that nothing major happened to your body. :bighug:
Thanks. Now I don't have to ignore the oil change light, but I did pop for a deluxe car wash right before.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:42 pm ...Thanks. Now I don't have to ignore the oil change light, but I did pop for a deluxe car wash right before.
The car equivalent of clean underwear?

Good that you are relatively unscathed.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Glad to see that you seem to be mostly okay. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 pm Glad to see that you seem to be mostly okay. :bighug:
TY. Trying to think positive thoughts. It just occurred to me the tabs were due this month and I'd ignored taking care of that to, as well as the oil change. :bighug:

I'm glad I was trapped in my car and didn't see the driver of the other vehicle. The lady who lived at the spot did, and she said something was hanging (eek!) off her face and was going to need plastic surgery maybe. I did hear a lot of screaming from her direction immediately afterwards.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 pm Glad to see that you seem to be mostly okay. :bighug:
:yeahthat: and :bighug: :bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Sunrise wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:34 pm
:bighug: :yeahthat: :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 pm
:bighug: :bighug: :yeahthat:

I think I told the story already of how I went through three trucks in three months. Good times. Glad you're okay Kendra.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 pm
I was rear ended on April 15, 2005 while I was at a traffic light waiting for the light to turn green. Totaled my car. The guy had all kinds of tickets, accidents, traffic infractions going back for years. I'm so sorry this happened to you, I know how inconvenient it is, and also can put a big hole in whatever plans you may have for how long you could keep the car without making payments. I'm so glad you are not hurt aside from some possible soreness. :bighug:
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Whoa.

So glad you seem to be OK, Kendra. :towel:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am Whoa.

Ditto that. :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:39 am Whoa.

Ditto that. :bighug:
Indeed. :bighug:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.wtrf.com/news/west-virginia ... ee-passes/
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP/WTRF) — West Virginia is joining the growing list of places recruiting remote workers — with a thrill-seeking twist.

A program launched Monday will try to lure outdoor enthusiasts to live in the rural state with enticements of cash and free passes for recreational destinations.

The goal is to leverage one of West Virginia’s most appealing assets, its natural beauty, to stem a population loss in the only state that has fewer residents now than in 1950.

Program participants will receive $12,000 cash.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”