Bill Cosby Allegations

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Lunaluz »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/showbiz/b ... index.html

I was wondering what people are thinking about this. Bill Cosby has been such an entertainment icon in this country. I had never heard about the earlier allegations and settlement. I don't think the ladies coming forward are piling on for $money$, I think they want to be heard as apparently they were not when it happened.

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

It's Cosby's word against hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers.

Yep.

Paul Lentz

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Paul Lentz »

I think the allegations are disturbing. On the one hand, I have this "view" of Bill Cosby (admittedly formed principally on the basis of his TV characters) that is strongly positive. On the other hand, I can't imagine why these women--and so many of them--would make these statements if there was not at least some truth to their recounting of their experiences, some of which seem to been more than 40 years ago. I'm not willing to discard or dismiss all of these women's allegations in my mind in order to prop up the icon in my mind.

And, in the oddest way, I feel as if it's a personal betrayal, even though I've never met the man. That's not really logical thinking, but it's how I feel.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Family Liberty Patriot

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

And, in the oddest way, I feel as if it's a personal betrayal, even though I've never met the man. That's not really logical thinking, but it's how I feel.

For years, Cosby was at or near the top of the list of Q Scores for living celebrities, which explains, for example, why he got so many endorsement gigs while actors like Roseanne didn't. So your feeling of personal betrayal is understandable.

I, too, am disappointed on so many levels, but I am not going to doubt these women, and I am sorry that they were doubted or ignored for so long.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Suranis

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Suranis »

Cosby may have been king of TV but his films were all spectacular flops. Just something to keep in mind.

I really don't know what to think to be honest. A lot of icons private lives were pretty murky. Ray Charles seemingly had a penchant for auditioning backing singers on the casting couch, for example. And you have Rod Stewart who trades in his wife for a younger model every few years yet seemingly everyone bar me loves the guy.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

The stories have been around for a long time. I think they came back when the Jian Ghomeshi stories started coming. At least that's what I noticed.

I was following those for awhile on the twitter machine. Every once in awhile Cosby's name would show up in the Ghomeshi stream I was following.

This reporter just found Cosby creepy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/bill ... he-creeps/

Dead fruit? What a controlling guy.

Family Liberty Patriot

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

Ray Charles seemingly had a penchant for auditioning backing singers on the casting couch, for example. And you have Rod Stewart who trades in his wife for a younger model every few years yet seemingly everyone bar me loves the guy.

Without excusing this behavior (or making any value judgment upon it at all, in fact,) that's categorically different from drugging and raping people.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

esseff44

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by esseff44 »

How does anyone defend themselves against allegations that are 30-40 years old? There are good reasons for a statute of limitations. The same principle applies whether there are legal questions or not.

Suranis

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Suranis »

Without excusing this behavior (or making any value judgment upon it at all, in fact,) that's categorically different from drugging and raping people.

I never said it wasn't. My point really is that regarding someones status as an icon should always be tempered by the realization that they are human beings.

Frankly I was never really a fan of Cosby anyway. I found the other people in the show a lot more funny.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

The stories have been around forever. Buzzfeed asked the author of the new bio of Cosby why he basically ignored them.

“I was aware of the allegations, but ultimately decided not to include them in my book. I didn’t want to print allegations that I couldn’t confirm independently. In the case of the Shawn Berkes/Autumn Jackson scandal, I managed to do that, based on court records and previously unaired interviews, and as a result I not only write about that case at length but advance the ball with fresh reporting. In the case of the other allegations, however, there were no independent witnesses and no definitive court findings, which did not meet my journalistic or legal standard for including in the biography.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/the ... al#1b51xfz

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

The author of this moment is Bill Cosby. In 2004, he gave his "Poundcake Speech," declaring black youth morally unworthy of their very heritage. Cosby followed the speech with a series of call-outs. I observed several of these call-outs. Again, unlike typical black Republicans, Cosby spoke directly to black people. He did not go on Fox News to complain about the threat of the New Black Panther Party. He did not pen columns insisting the black family was better off under slavery. He was not speaking as a man sent to assure a group that racism did not exist, but as a man who sincerely believed that black people, through the ethic of "twice as good," could overcome. That is the core of respectability politics. Its appeal is broad in both black and white America, and everywhere Cosby went he was greeted with rapturous applause.

I published a reported essay in 2008, in this magazine, on these call-outs. In that essay, there is a brief and limp mention of the accusations against Cosby. Despite my opinions on Cosby suffusing the piece, there was no opinion offered on the rape accusations. This is not because I did not have an opinion. I felt at the time that I was taking on Cosby's moralizing and wanted to stand on those things that I could definitively prove. Lacking physical evidence, adjudicating rape accusations is a murky business for journalists. But believing Bill Cosby does not require you to take one person's word over another—it requires you take one person's word over 15 others.

At the time I wrote the piece, it was 13 peoples’ word—and I believed them. Put differently, I believed that Bill Cosby was a rapist..

there's more here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ow/382891/

This is not new stuff

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

While his other appearances are being canceled, the show went on in Melbourne, Florida. This just tweeted:

Javier de Diego @JaviCNN · 5m 5 minutes ago

Show is over. #BillCosby lasted 90 mins on the nose. No disruptions. Crowd enjoyed show. Ended with standing ovation. @CNN

0 replies 14 retweets 12 favorites

Javier de Diego @JaviCNN · 25m 25 minutes ago

Group of women yell out: "We love you #BillCosby !" Crowd cheers. @CNN

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

Javier de Diego @JaviCNN · 35m 35 minutes ago

An hour in... No disruptions at #BillCosby show. Crowd seems to be enjoying it. @CNN

[deleted photo]

View more photos and videos

0 replies 0 retweets 2 favorites

Javier de Diego @JaviCNN · 40m 40 minutes ago

#BillCosby jokes now focused on men vs women relationships. Tips to young husbands. @CNN

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

Javier de Diego @JaviCNN · 56m 56 minutes ago

About 40 mins in. No disruptions. #BillCosby sticking to jokes about childhood, religion, getting old. @CNN

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Orlylicious »

This is sad, he's 77 and these stories are from a long time ago. I was around during this, on the set & with the production... remember the show was the smash hit #1 that turned NBC around & Cosby's deal with Tom Werner and Marcy Carsey was insane, he still gets a lion's share of syndication (they didn't make that mistake again with talent, though Roseanne caught lightning too). He had fleets of private jets. In those days, everybody wanted to ride with him to AC or wherever. He took advantage of his power, no doubt, but everyone knew what they were getting into in Bill's (and tons more like him) world. Not excusing him in the slightest, but I sure saw a lot of ladies who were very interested in pleasing Mr. Cosby.

Reference:

When The Cosby Show went into syndication in 1987, Bill Cosby, as half owner of the show's profits, became a very rich man. According to Forbes, competing independent stations doubled previous records in their bidding for the program. By 1992, total syndication for the show reached $1 billion, of which Cosby received $333 million.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Bill_Cosby.aspx
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

A venue in Tacoma just cancelled out.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Flatpointhigh »

These allegations have been around since 2007. Janice Dickinson has posted pix of Cosby in the patchwork robe he was wearing when he alledegly assaulted her.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

Bill Cosby's Gig at Tacoma's Broadway Center Cancelled

Bill Cosby’s performance, scheduled for April 18, 2015, at the Broadway Center, has been canceled.

“This decision is not intended to pass judgment on Mr. Cosby – that is not the business of the Broadway Center,” said David Fischer, the Broadway Center’s executive director.

Cosby’s been the subject of allegations of sexual assault by a list of women. Those allegations led NBC to cancel plans it had for Cosby to star in a new sitcom, and TVLand has canceled reruns of the 80s sitcom “The Cosby Show.”

“We’ve been deliberate and thoughtful in making this decision, carefully considering our many relationships and legal obligations, including those with Mr. Cosby, with ticket buyers, and with our community. The Broadway Center is a nonprofit organization that works diligently to strengthen our community’s social fabric by building empathy, furthering education, and sharing joy. Ultimately, we were not confident in our ability to meet those objectives by proceeding with Mr. Cosby’s ...

kate520

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by kate520 »

I've been a big fan since I Spy, have seen him at Wolftrap several times and memorized his comedy albums when I was in high school. His 'Oops' sketch was hilarious and timeless. Jeff Goldblum waved it around a little bit in Independence Day, remember? It makes me very sad that this will be how we remember him. This might even kill him. I do remember the prior accusations, but I thought the first was earlier than 2007.

Our celebrity worship is sick. Even politicians have groupies who hang on their every word, toss underwear and room keys at them like they were rock stars. I believe every bit of what these women say, but why would he drug them when he could have had anyone he wanted, just for the asking? Was it to avoid entanglements? Law suits?

I just don't really want to know about this.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Paul Lentz

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Paul Lentz »

Okay, here's a little blatant self-interest:

As some of you know, my Mom has advanced Alzheimer's Dementia. No longer able to read (which was her favorite activity--and we still read to her quite a bit), she spends quite a bit of her time sitting/dozing in her lounge chair in front of the TV. I've felt grateful more times than I can count for cable channels like TVLand, AntennaTV, and MeTV, which air old (60s/70s/80s) shows, such as Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, All in the Family, The Andy Griffith Show and, yes...The Cosby Show. While Mom was not a big TV watcher when these shows were new and in their first run, an exception to that was The Cosby Show, which she made a point to watch each week, and has particularly seemed to enjoy watching on TVLand over the last year or two, where it has been regularly and frequently scheduled--often in blocks of 3 or 4 hours.

TVLand removed The Cosby Show from its lineup as of today. I'm not about to try to explain all these allegations to my Mom when she asks me to turn on The Cosby Show tomorrow (Saturday and Sunday were the most frequent air days). There is no way she could grasp all of this. All she's going to know is that a show she enjoys isn't on anymore. And with our luck, they'll probably replace it with more reruns of Roseanne--a show she dislikes with characters she finds either disgusting or unsympathetic.

I understand TVLand's actions, and I don't blame them for removing The Cosby Show from their lineup...not one bit. But, dammit.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

Michael Jackson was kinda off a bit too...

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Flatpointhigh »

Holy shit! Carla Ferrigno, Lou Ferrigno's wife?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... /70011214/

She says it occured in 1967.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by Lunaluz »

Thank-you .. I do not jump just like a fish in a pool about this kind of thing... so these ladies that might have been drugged and raped by Cosby.. have come forward and they risk the same stuff ladies have when making an accusation. I think it is true. I am not a judge, I get kind of sick of all the jump on the gravy train for cash and the knee jerk thought by many. We have a long laundry list of people abusing people. On the interwebs this thing is being compared to Cain and Jimmy Savile and even Clinton. There has been a big push on Campus's to stop sexual assaults. I went to University in the 70's any female student that got raped .. it wasn't called rape they mostly just shut up and didn't report.. we just were taught a valuable lesson. I know the majority of men would not rape.. but look at India..a lot of people think it is still acceptable ..even in this country (usa) ladies won't report because they still think it was their fault. We need to get beyond that... and if you still think that students report rapes.. well they don't especially if they knew the guy.

1 figure I saw some years ago 1 out 3 women have been attacked in the USA.. sad

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

Venues Starting to Yield to the Pressure of the Marketplace - Cancelling the accused rapist and serial philanderer's shows.

Men are pigs...

Venues in Washington state and South Carolina are the latest to drop Bill Cosby from their schedules in the wake of more claims that he sexually assaulted women in past decades.

The Broadway Center in Tacoma cancelled Cosby’s April 15 stop as part of his Cosby 77 tour, while the Florence Civic Center "indefinitely postponed" his show — entitled "Far from Finished" — for Feb. 20. At least seven shows across six states — including one scheduled in Las Vegas next week — have been scrapped.

"This decision is not intended to pass judgment on Mr. Cosby — that is not the business of the Broadway Center," David Fischer, the Broadway Center's executive director, said in a statement. "In making this decision, the Broadway Center also took into consideration the financial harm we will suffer by cancelling, and the even greater financial risk of moving forward with the performance," Fischer added. Both venues in Washington and South Carolina are allowing those who have bought tickets to Cosby’s shows to request an exchange or refund.

Women have been speaking out publicly in recent weeks to claim that Cosby — as far back as the 1970s — gave them pills that made them feel groggy before he forced himself on them sexually. Actress Angela Leslie, 52, the latest woman to come forward, said on TODAY that Cosby assaulted her, but she was able to push him off of her and was never "physically hurt." The allegations resurfaced a scandal from 2005 in which Andrea Constand, a staffer with the basketball team at Temple University, sued the comedian for allegedly giving her pills and touching her inappropriately. Cosby settled the case, and has never been charged with any crime. ... moar

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

Another Woman comes forward with a similar story ....

Sorry, but don't one of them have some little blue dress that they stashed? The stories are compelling, however there hasn't been any hard evidence that I know of put forward (old rape kit, old panties, urine tests (for drugs on the victim) and that sort of thing)...

Close friend this time. I'd hate to be disliked by the guy.

Bill Cosby slipped a close friend a Quaalude and hours later she was in bed with one of his buddies ... this according to the woman.Joyce Emmons -- who ran comedy clubs in the '70s and '80s -- tells TMZ she was close to Cosby in the late '70s and often hung with him in Vegas where he performed.

She says although she never saw Bill drink or do drugs, he often had "a drawer full of drugs," including Quaaludes, in his hotel room. She says women were frequently around Bill and would often take the drug knowingly and voluntarily. She also says men partied with the drugs as well. ...

moar

mimi

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by mimi »

EXCLUSIVE: Ex-NBC employee Frank Scotti claims Bill Cosby paid off women, invited young models to dressing room as he stood guard

Veteran NBC employee Frank Scotti says he helped Bill Cosby deliver thousands of dollars to eight different women in 1989-90 - including Shawn Thompson, whose daughter Autumn Jackson claimed the actor was her dad. The ex-aide also tells the Daily News he stood guard whenever Cosby invited young models to his dressing room, which eventually led him to quitting after years on the job.

BY Chelsia Rose Marcius , Brian Niemietz , Larry Mcshane

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, November 23, 2014, 3:00 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2020464

He saved some of the money order receipts. Seems to corroborate the women's stories.

SueDB

Bill Cosby Allegations

Post by SueDB »

Here we go... something familiar and possibly solid that the "jury" can put their hands on.

Thanks

Return to “Current Events”