Ocean Ramsey: An Interesting Individual.

John Thomas8

Ocean Ramsey: An Interesting Individual.

Post by John Thomas8 »

We watch a show, Deadliest Catch, about Bering Sea crab fishing. There's a spinoff called "Bloodlines", where two of the captains go from the Bering Sea to the waters off of Hawai'i to fish. One of the things they had to learn was how to work around sharks, and last night they aired an episode where the two captains received lessons from Ocean Ramsey.

She's an excellent teacher.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Ocean Ramsey: An Interesting Individual.

Post by Maybenaut »

I couldn’t watch Deadliest Catch for a long, long time. I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska when I was a radio operator in the Coast Guard. When the fishermen called the Coast Guard, it was me and others like me who answered the call. It was stressful.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm I couldn’t watch Deadliest Catch for a long, long time. I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska when I was a radio operator in the Coast Guard. When the fishermen called the Coast Guard, it was me and others like me who answered the call. It was stressful.
Those are the worst of the episodes, when a FV (Fishing Vessel) goes down. Now, it may be a producer-driven fakeness, but from what they show of the boats they film, the captains and crews seem to be genuinely affected by those losses.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

No, that’s real. The community is as close as the show portrays.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:23 pm No, that’s real. The community is as close as the show portrays.
I was hoping so, not for the sinkings, but that the show was telling the truth. Hard to tell with "reality TV" most of the time.

We're kinda invested in these guy, Wild Bill the almost arrested in Russia and Harris/MacManus and Hilstrand and even Keith and Harley. Sig Hansen passing the family business to his daughter. Jake, who's been a drama queen his whole time on the show. But we started and got hooked on Phil Harris.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I usually highly dislike reality shows (I don't consider stuff like Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs to be reality shows as we see them now even though they were only lightly scripted). Deadliest Catch was one I could watch for a bit because there was something that felt more authentic than most of the other ones (especially as other ones became closer to watching motorcycle building on Jerry Springer). I assume they focus on the heavier dramatic stuff even though it may not be quite as often in real life, but hey, they are telling a story they want people to get into.

I did not continue too long with it. One reason is the very real-life events do become hard to take (lost boats, nearly disasters on deck, etc.) Even Mike Rowe's soothing voice cannot always lift me up after that.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”