Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

When I lived in Evanston, I survived quite often without AC mainly because of good ventilation in the apartment and the cooler air coming from Lake Michigan (it is always cooler along the shore than inland). For a couple of days, we were hitting 100. As I was doing part-time work for the school during the summer, I decided it was the perfect time to go and do maintenance on the computer lab computers. Running a bunch of scans and updates may be like watching paint dry, but the room had AC.
101010 :towel:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

.85 inches of rain today. It was beauteous. On top of that I applied a good dose of potash on the lawn yesterday. Good timing personified. Let it grow now. The heat and humidity returns later this week. Yes, I have air-conditioning.

Edit add: And a sufficient supply of electricity to keep it running.
Il factotum
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Our official record high temperature here is 118 degrees F.

One of my kitties was seriously heat stressed. I took her into the car for some AC and got a mister set up in the shade for her. That helped, then my spouse suggested that perhaps the tack room was cooler? It is indeed cooler--about 85 degrees--so she's been moved into there where we could let her out of the cat carrier and roam around. She's no longer panting and has calmed down.

Edit: moved all the cats out to the tack room, with food, water, and a litter box. I may wind up sleeping out there, as it is much cooler out there.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm Our official record high temperature here is 118 degrees F.

One of my kitties was seriously heat stressed. I took her into the car for some AC and got a mister set up in the shade for her. That helped, then my spouse suggested that perhaps the tack room was cooler? It is indeed cooler--about 85 degrees--so she's been moved into there where we could let her out of the cat carrier and roam around. She's no longer panting and has calmed down.
I'm glad you were able to get kitty feeling better!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
slq

Post by slq »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm
slq wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 pm I decided to go see a movie during the hottest part of the day, this last day of Hades for the moment. In the Heights (a musical) has a showing at 4 pm. I bought a ticket. :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:
I just chatted with my Seattle sister and we were remembering how, when we were young, the theaters advertised that they were air conditioned and that's where a lot of folks went to cool off.

Edited to add: Apparently a number of Seattle folks are staying at local hotels which makes a lot of sense when you don't have air conditioning at home.
I really enjoyed the movie. I give my local theater a C- in the A/C department. I'm back home and it's currently 92 in my house. I'll be glad to see that in my rear view mirror for the near future. The high tomorrow is forecast for 82!
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
slq

Post by slq »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm Our official record high temperature here is 118 degrees F.

Edit: moved all the cats out to the tack room, with food, water, and a litter box. I may wind up sleeping out there, as it is much cooler out there.
:lovestruck: :koolaid: :lovestruck:
--Yoda
slq

Post by slq »

Ugh. Another hot sleepless night. Although the outside temp has finally fallen to 63 degrees, my house is holding on to the heat from yesterday. The north side of the house is cooler, so I moved from the bedroom to the couch in the living room, opened the front door (I have a screen) and turned on the Vornado fan, which I had turned off when I went to bed. It was 82 degrees when I came out here, and is now 79 degrees. With the fan it feels nice and cool. Maybe I can get some sleep. Hopefully, I can get the place cooled down because the high is supposed to be 88 today. Much better than the 100-106 degrees it was yesterday. Hopefully the evaporative cooling fan that arrives today will help. :waiting: Otherwise, I will probably need to get another Vornado fan because the lesser fans aren't cutting it.
--Yoda
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Just saw a meme on FB. I'm not able to copy it, so this is the text:

For those who follow Solar Anomalies, the Sun just dragged its balls across the Pacific NW.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

slq wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 am Ugh. Another hot sleepless night. Although the outside temp has finally fallen to 63 degrees, my house is holding on to the heat from yesterday. The north side of the house is cooler, so I moved from the bedroom to the couch in the living room, opened the front door (I have a screen) and turned on the Vornado fan, which I had turned off when I went to bed. It was 82 degrees when I came out here, and is now 79 degrees. With the fan it feels nice and cool. Maybe I can get some sleep. Hopefully, I can get the place cooled down because the high is supposed to be 88 today. Much better than the 100-106 degrees it was yesterday. Hopefully the evaporative cooling fan that arrives today will help. :waiting: Otherwise, I will probably need to get another Vornado fan because the lesser fans aren't cutting it.
I had a decent night's sleep out in the tack room LOL. The kitties are still out there because like you, my house is holding onto that heat (and humidity), and George will claw his way out past the screen doors if I were to bring everyone back in. It's 66 degrees right now, projected to get up to only 92 (!). Ugh, just UGH to this nonsense.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

It magically cooled off from over 110F to a mere 80F by 9pm last night, and shed another ten degrees an hour later. I opened the windows to air the place out over night. Woke up to 64F. Nice.

Lots of garden damage. Wilted cukes, burnt tomatoes and beans, dried lawn, etc. I gave everything a good drink of water this morning barefoot in my bathrobe and sunglasses. Stylin at dawn.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:05 am It magically cooled off from over 110F to a mere 80F by 9pm last night, and shed another ten degrees an hour later. I opened the windows to air the place out over night. Woke up to 64F. Nice.

Lots of garden damage. Wilted cukes, burnt tomatoes and beans, dried lawn, etc. I gave everything a good drink of water this morning barefoot in my bathrobe and sunglasses. Stylin at dawn.
77° F in south Florida. Nice breeze off the Gulf. I dunno why ya'll want to live up north in the oven. :whistle:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:13 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:05 am It magically cooled off from over 110F to a mere 80F by 9pm last night, and shed another ten degrees an hour later. I opened the windows to air the place out over night. Woke up to 64F. Nice.

77° F in south Florida. Nice breeze off the Gulf. I dunno why ya'll want to live up north in the oven. :whistle:
Cuz some of us had enough of it as kids. :wink:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Been mid 60s since early morning and opened all the windows (east/west exposure). Cool air coming in and I did get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Kitty is like a big weight off of her shoulders. I'm going in later to work so I can get more cool air in and give kitty some mommy time.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

In our old house, we used to have the AC set at 66 degrees in the bedroom - only way I could get any sleep with the humidity around 70%.

In the new ( :roll: ) house, the humidity in the outside air is still around 70%, but the inside air is around 40% because we have a whole-house dehumidifier in the basement that removes the humidity from the return air, and we have a dehumidifier in the crawl space.

Right now we have the AC set at 78 degrees, and it feels very cool in here because the air is so dry. At night, we set the AC in the bedroom to 72, and it shuts off at 2 am. It’s perfect, or has been so far (but we’e only been in the 90s during the day and 70s at night- we’ll see what it’s like when the temps hit 100 or more).

This house is more than twice the size of the one we moved out of, and I was very worried that it would cost a fortune to cool. The dehumidifier uses slightly less electricity than the heat pump does, and we’re not working the heat pump as hard. We’re having solar installed one of these days, so I’m not that worried about the cost, but until then…
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

An air conditioner dehumidifies the air. Of course the closer the outside air temperature is to the desired inside air temperature, the less the dehumidification. One mistake many contractors made in the past (and IMO some still do) was to oversize the air conditioner. When the evaporator coils were freezing up on humid days, it usually was because the air conditioner was oversized. The longer an air conditioner runs to provide the desired temperature, the more dehumidification it will do.
Il factotum
slq

Post by slq »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:44 am Been mid 60s since early morning and opened all the windows (east/west exposure). Cool air coming in and I did get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Kitty is like a big weight off of her shoulders. I'm going in later to work so I can get more cool air in and give kitty some mommy time.
Once I opened the front door and turned on the vornado fan, it cooled down even in the bedroom, and I was able to get some sleep, too. Thankfully.
--Yoda
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It's warm at the office with no AC there. We've got the side door opened to let in the somewhat cooler air. I heard yesterday was nasty.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Hot weather has reached Long Island. Near NYC the north side of LI may reach 100F tomorrow.

The North Fork will probably not reach 90F. We're swept by ocean breezes you know. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My heart goes out to all in this heat mess. I dont mind the cold at all. I can always bundle up and find warmth organically. But damned if one doesn't have a/c or electric to run a fan, it gets brutally dangerous.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Say what? There are still places that will pump you gas? :? Haven't seen that in decades.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Say what? There are still places that will pump you gas? :? Haven't seen that in decades.
The entire state of Oregon, except for the last couple days. It's very disorienting the first time you fill up there, and they yell at you to get back in your car.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It looks like both Oregon and New Jersey have laws forbidding folks from pumping their own gas. I don't know about any exceptions they have, or if it's only in certain areas.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:40 pm It looks like both Oregon and New Jersey have laws forbidding folks from pumping their own gas. I don't know about any exceptions they have, or if it's only in certain areas.
New Jersey is a little strange, because not only do they pump your gas for you, but they don't bag your groceries for you at the grocery store. That's self service. I prefer the opposite arrangement.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:26 pm
It should have fallen with Covid. That's what I loved about my BMW diesel. Diesel fuel has a flash point well above that of gasoline and the Fire Marshal's rules didn't apply for self service.
Il factotum

Return to “General Stuff”