Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by LM K »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:26 pm
That's illegal in most of Oregon. 2-3 years ago, the law was changed for some rural areas.
Off Topic
While in Reno last fall, I had to pump my own gas. :faint: It had been at least 25 years since I had done that. I had to ask for instructions. :lol:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

If it was an actual issue, don't you think we'd be hearing stories daily about self-immolations at the gas station? Pumps going up in flames on a regular basis? Exploding gas tanks making the 6 o'clock news every night? And yet, somehow, 48 states full of people (some not so smart) manage to pump gas without winding up on the front page, engulfed in a ball of flames. No training required.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:06 pm If it was an actual issue, don't you think we'd be hearing stories daily about self-immolations at the gas station? Pumps going up in flames on a regular basis? Exploding gas tanks making the 6 o'clock news every night? And yet, somehow, 48 states full of people (some not so smart) manage to pump gas without winding up on the front page, engulfed in a ball of flames. No training required.
The reasoning has always been that it gives employment to those who live in very rural areas.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Azastan wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:06 pm If it was an actual issue, don't you think we'd be hearing stories daily about self-immolations at the gas station? Pumps going up in flames on a regular basis? Exploding gas tanks making the 6 o'clock news every night? And yet, somehow, 48 states full of people (some not so smart) manage to pump gas without winding up on the front page, engulfed in a ball of flames. No training required.
The reasoning has always been that it gives employment to those who live in very rural areas.
I found an article that lists the 17 reasons Oregon put the policy in place...

https://kval.com/news/local/17-reasons- ... -of-oregon
The policy statement spells out 17 reasons for the prohibition of pumping your own gas, including:

FIRE HAZARD: "The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids."

LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL: "Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers."

LAWYERS, GUNS & MONEY: "Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces."

RAIN & SNOW & HIGHWAYMEN: "The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility."

SERVICE TO SENIORS & DISABLED: "The dangers described (...) are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or has a disability, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches (...) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to persons with disabilities, elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases (...) the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to persons with disabilities at retail gasoline stations."

WHAT SENIOR DISCOUNT? "Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and persons with disabilities must pay the higher costs of full service."

AIRBORNE TOXIC PREVENT: "Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids; the hazard (...) is heightened when the customer is pregnant; the exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers."

ECONOMIC JUSTICE: "The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail (...) discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service; (and) discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices."

SAFETY FIRST: The higher price of full-service gas "increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs."

CALL AAA! "The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations."

IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID: "Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers (...) a general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general."

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS: "Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people."

THINK OF THE CHILDREN! "Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation."
slq

Post by slq »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:37 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:30 pm
Say what? There are still places that will pump you gas? :? Haven't seen that in decades.
The entire state of Oregon, except for the last couple days. It's very disorienting the first time you fill up there, and they yell at you to get back in your car.
:yeahthat:
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Azastan wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm
That doesn't make much sense either. Of the two states with that law, Oregon comes in at #33 and NJ comes in at #49 for rural populations. Mississippi lands at #4 and we've been pumping our own gas forever unless we wanted to pay the extra at a full-service station.
https://stacker.com/stories/2779/states ... opulations
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 pm

The policy statement spells out 17 reasons for the prohibition of pumping your own gas, including:
I literally had to go read that link to make sure it wasn't one of David Letterman's lists. If they think people are leaving small children in the car to go pay, or that seniors and the disabled are unable to get gas, they must not have ever left their state.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:51 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 pm

I literally had to go read that link to make sure it wasn't one of David Letterman's lists. If they think people are leaving small children in the car to go pay, or that seniors and the disabled are unable to get gas, they must not have ever left their state.
1951 -- I guess people thought differently then.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I remember my first trip to Oregon and being shocked at not being able to pump my own gas.

LOL, the boss, who was pooh-pooing any concerns last week how hot it would get and could we see what fans/coolers we might be able to get. I didn't have to work yesterday, so missed the worst day, but even with the cooler temps today if one didn't have an office with a window that could open or a door to let outside air in was the most miserable one and had sweat pouring down his face and arms?

Yep, the boss was all over the internet this afternoon trying to find something, anything.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:40 pm
That doesn't make much sense either. Of the two states with that law, Oregon comes in at #33 and NJ comes in at #49 for rural populations. Mississippi lands at #4 and we've been pumping our own gas forever unless we wanted to pay the extra at a full-service station.
https://stacker.com/stories/2779/states ... opulations
What can I say, that really IS one of the reasons.
slq

Post by slq »

My two new special fans I ordered from Amazon are "delayed in transit" even though they both currently show they're in my city. I'm thinking of returning the evap cooper one and getting another Vornado.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

slq wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:18 pm My two new special fans I ordered from Amazon are "delayed in transit" even though they both currently show they're in my city. I'm thinking of returning the evap cooper one and getting another Vornado.
The buckled roads do make it hard to deliver on time!

I'm just glad it's considerably cooler today. I did not have to go out and water all 150 dahlia plants early in the morning, and they are still looking pretty good this evening. My lilies, on the other hand, are toast. That makes me sad, because they are Stargazers, and besides being beautiful, they smell good.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yesterday I walked 3 miles in the 90° heat and 80% humidity. :eek:

On the bright side, I won the wet t-shirt contest, being the only contestant. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

I'm scheduled to drive from SE FL to Charlotte NC, leaving Wednesday morning at 4AM.

:doh:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

A couple of years ago, after Irma, we installed Bahama shutters. This morning, we went out and bolted one down just to make sure we knew how to do it. We sprung for an accordian panel for the bedroom slider and a big Kevlar shade for the lanai so we could bring the patio furniture in. We still have four windows we'll have to bolt up the usual aluminum slats but they're small and won't be much trouble. Might have to spend tomorrow or Sunday putting them up. Luckily, we have a big stash of food and emergency supplies so we don't have to fight the stores, including water in the shed. I'll bring those in, too.

Not happy about this. Not happy at all.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Here it comes ... the alert just got blasted to all cell phones in southern Florida.
alert-elsa.png
alert-elsa.png (129.22 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Y'all stay safe! :cantlook:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14-21-42 TROPICAL STORM ELSA.png
Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 14-21-42 TROPICAL STORM ELSA.png (448.44 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Please hand out the sharpies. And Alabama residents prepare to duck under your tables head down :twisted:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We made it through the night, soggy but mostly intact. I got up about 6:30, went into the bathroom and walked right into a puddle. First thought it was one of the furry kids but when I flipped the light on, I could see water dripping from the ceiling.

Called the insurance company first, and the solar company second. We were scheduled to have solar panels installed Friday. Now that's on hold until the roof can be assessed. Honestly, I'm glad it happened before the panels went on, so it's all good.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sorry to hear about your roof. :(

We are forecast to get Elsa on Friday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thanks! It was nothing compared to what you guys went through. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a new roof. It was 16 years old. Fingers crossed.

Return to “General Stuff”