Weather Alerts

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:49 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 am Outside temp rose all day peaking at 106F just before dusk. I walked around with my handheld temp probe. The back porch was 95F under the roof, but the painted steps in the sun were 145F. The driveway concrete ranged from 140-160F. The asphalt street as +160F. My black truck had a 200F hood with 165F interior. My wife's maroon Toyota was 145/135F, and my white truck was 135/125F. Ouch.

It did not cool down much after dark though it picked up a light wind from the east. It was still 90F and muggy at 1030pm. The air clung to you. Even my pants were wet from sweat.

Today is supposed to get hotter. Good thing I made two bottles of that.
Move to south Florida. We don't have such problems. 8-)
I grew up in the pain haindul, was outside all day as a kid, and still acclimate quickly when it turns into Orezona around here. But, that usually doesn't happen until late July and August. That weather is a bit early this year. I'll be pulling the garlic today. All the stalks flopped over yesterday. It's something I'll be getting done in a bit while it's still only 85F in the sun.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:21 am
Kendra wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:50 am 2am, it's 79 degrees. got all the windows open to let the *cool* air in.
It's currently a balmy 68 degrees at my place, at 6.19 am. My husband has parked George in the laundry room so that we can open the slider door and actually get some cooler air in here. George is one of those 'I gotta go out' cats, but he's no longer allowed out after having narrowly escaped being lunch for a bald eagle. So now he's desperate to go out and he will claw and claw at the screen on the slider to force his way out. Little bum.
Sadly, we think that's what happened to Lil Gigi. We haven't seen her for almost three weeks. Here Thursday evening, gone Friday morning. Never found fur or anything. Predation happens fast.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Almost 8AM and mid 70s, but pleasant inside with the fans going. Kitty shows little interest in cuddling or body contact. I wish she'd drink more water, but I'm giving her wet food with extra moisture and she's eating that.

I recall decades ago when my father passed away and we all had to go to Phoenix in June. What a shock, yes it's a dry heat and yes they all have AC, but you still have to walk from the car to the store. It doesn't cool down much at night, and thinking I'd get a walk at 5AM and it was still in the 90s.

My cousin in AZ was pooh-pooing me on FB yesterday over my complaints about the temps. She ate her words when I pointed out we didn't have AC.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 am
Sadly, we think that's what happened to Lil Gigi. We haven't seen her for almost three weeks. Here Thursday evening, gone Friday morning. Never found fur or anything. Predation happens fast.
I am really sorry to hear that :crying: .

Veering slightly off-topic, but I have a friend who has lost two Jack Russell terriers to coyotes in the last two years. There's 29 acres of woods/wetland across the road (which joins up with a recognized bog of perhaps 10 acres?), and there's coyotes, bobcats, at least one bear, and possibly a mountain lion living over there. My neighbour has lost a couple of cats to coyotes, and a couple dozen chickens to the various predators. It may be stifling in here, but at least my cats aren't getting eaten!

My spouse went out and purchased a dehumidifier earlier this morning, and it's noticeably more comfortable even after just a few hours of it running, so thanks to Maybenaut for that suggestion.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Its so weird to see Pac NW getting headlines on national news. CNN even mentioned the high snowmelt at MT Rainer.

Heard mention too to remember your mail carrier, they don't have AC in those trucks, and then the poor guys having to hoof it through the neighborhood. Keep cold drinks on hand to keep them hydrated.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I have great sympathy for our PNW FBowers this weekend. I spent 20 minutes pulling weeds in my garden at 88° and felt ill. I cannot imagine.what folks are going through out there.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I had forgotten I owned a handheld fan. Works pretty good, kitty is still flopping on the vinyl. I tried a cool damp towel. It didn't go well.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

It's so hot that my Siamese cat has gone mute. :shock:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

I live 5 blocks from the track.

Extreme heat leads to health scares, delays at U.S. track and field trials
One athlete fainted in extreme heat Sunday afternoon during the U.S. Olympic track and field trials, which officials suspended for five hours as temperatures climbed well above 100 degrees.

The forecast in Eugene, Ore., called for a high temperature of 112 degrees Sunday — and temperatures on the famed Hayward Field track reportedly had reached 108 degrees when the decision to postpone competition was made around 6:15 Eastern time, with events not set to resume until 11:30 p.m. The final event of the night, featuring Alexandria, Va., product Noah Lyles in the men’s 200 meters, was slated for 12:52 a.m.

Heptathlete Taliyah Brooks fainted before the javelin throw in her event, her agent Tony Campbell said. By Sunday evening, Brooks was coherent and requested to reenter the competition — a request that was granted by the USA Track & Field Games Committee. She was set to compete in the javelin event with three throws beginning at 11:15 p.m. Eastern.
:snippity:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:21 pm I have great sympathy for our PNW FBowers this weekend. I spent 20 minutes pulling weeds in my garden at 88° and felt ill. I cannot imagine.what folks are going through out there.
With enough wine, we can make it through anything. :)

A breeze came through this afternoon. A 106F breeze. It was kinda like standing in front of the oven - a rush of hot air. I'm just getting back from an emergency service call (I've had a few this weekend cuz of heat related equipment outages - how odd), and the breeze has cooled down to 97F. So much better. (ha!)

I seriously considered doing the fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk experiment this afternoon, and didn't want to clean up the mess. Too lazy.

PS - a neighbor said the hot wind reminded her of the Santa Anas they would get in CA that dried everything out making for good fire conditions.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Midnight. It's cooled down to 80.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:

One summer it was still 34C at midnight (93F)
LM K

Post by LM K »

A friend of mine baked cookies on the roof of her car today. :lol:

A friend in Portland lost all power at approx 4:30.

The cat is still mute.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Danger alert!

The CAT is not happy!

you have been warned....
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm sorry to hear about this terrible heat. :(

Maybe it's a good time to go NEKKID. :whistle:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

In Oregon you could away with that. As long as you don't do something sexual, it's considered protected 1A. Doesn't stop the cops from arresting you. You just won't be charged and prosecuted.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 am

Maybe it's a good time to go NEKKID. :whistle:
My spouse agrees with you*. Not outside, though.

Me, I have to keep moving the hoses around for the dahlias, and the horses will be getting hosed off today as well.

*This is so atypical of my spouse that this is how you know it's not just 'hot', it's BLAZING HOT.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 am In Oregon you could away with that. As long as you don't do something sexual, it's considered protected 1A. Doesn't stop the cops from arresting you. You just won't be charged and prosecuted.
Don't let that get out to the Fox nutters. They'll never let that one go. You know *Portland*.

It's been cooler this morning and fresh air coming in. Kitty actually kinda sorta zoomed for three seconds. She's actually wanting pets and laptime.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My FIL would say, "Let's get drunk, get nekkid, and SING!!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 am In Oregon you could away with that. As long as you don't do something sexual, it's considered protected 1A. Doesn't stop the cops from arresting you. You just won't be charged and prosecuted.
If a man showed arousal for whatever reason or no reason at all, he could be arrested and charged.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 am
If a man showed arousal for whatever reason or no reason at all, he could be arrested and charged.
Zactly.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:28 am
Don't let that get out to the Fox nutters. They'll never let that one go. You know *Portland*.

It's been cooler this morning and fresh air coming in. Kitty actually kinda sorta zoomed for three seconds. She's actually wanting pets and laptime.
I think they should try it especially also too because their emperor had no clothes.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 am My FIL would say, "Let's get drunk, get nekkid, and SING!!!!! :biggrin:
Fun!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 am
So women could go around nekkid and be aroused and nothin happens to them? That hardly seems fair.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 am
Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:28 am

I think they should try it especially also too because their emperor had no clothes.
:like:

Return to “General Stuff”