Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Monster storm to bring several feet of snow and tornadoes this weekend

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/snow-storm ... in-states/
A slow-moving, blockbuster storm is likely to bring the biggest snowfall in decades to parts of the Front Range of the Rockies and western Plains states this weekend, possibly challenging all-time records for some cities. On the warm side of the storm, the first spring season severe weather outbreak threatens Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

The massive, whirling storm system was diving southward from the Pacific Ocean into California on Wednesday, providing some much-needed rain and snow after the fourth-driest 18-month stretch in state history. Heavy downpours will bring an inch or two of rain to many parts of the state and over a foot of snow in the higher elevations.

Once the storm reaches the Rockies it will slow down and intensify, using its atmospheric dynamics to funnel warm, moist air from Mexico northward — slamming the moist conveyor belt right into elevated land in the western Plains and Rocky Mountains. This effect of forcing air to rise due to land elevation is called orographic uplift and is responsible for the biggest snowstorms in cities like Denver and Boulder.

While the first round of snow is falling Wednesday in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and South Dakota, it's the next round, starting later Friday and reaching its apex on Sunday, that will make traveling near impossible, with snowfall rates of 2 to 4 inches per hour. Wind gusts over 45 mph are likely on Saturday, ramping up to 60 mph on Sunday, meaning blizzard conditions will be widespread.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

My state is still under a flood watch until Friday night. Rain continued in my area this morning, but I have blue skies right now! :fiesta: I might be able to drive out tomorrow, pick up mail, maybe a bottle of wine (in case of more storms).

Meanwhile, the only road on the North Shore closed again shortly after reopening. There are ongoing mud slides in at least 3 areas. People are stuck where they are for another day - or days if it rains again (which it will). Just in case, plans are underway to boat or helicopter food and medicine into those areas.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Lani wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 pm maybe a bottle of wine (in case of more storms).
Or a case....just in case :mrgreen:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Lani

Post by Lani »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 pm
Lani wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 pm maybe a bottle of wine (in case of more storms).
Or a case....just in case :mrgreen:
I shoulda planned better about the wine supply. I woke up to a semi-sunny day and thought I'd be able to drive out of here in the afternoon, or more likely tomorrow. Then sudden, massive, heavy rain and wind. So before getting coffee, I closed the windows and watched the ponding around the house. Then LOTS of sirens. Flash flood warning, streets underwater, mudslides, traffic accidents, etc.

The rain has let up, but stream and river gauges continue to rise. We're still under the flood warning. (Not a problem for me as I live on a hill. My problem is dealing with a narrow dirt road that goes up and down a couple of hills before reaching paved roads. Oh, and no wine.)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, no point in trying to get to the store. The town is flooding. I think I'll bake some cookies....

Meanwhile north of me, a houseless community at a beach camping park is being evacuated.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes on both posts. :shock:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

It gets worse by the minute. Just got another warning for people to stay off the roads, as many are closing, closed, or becoming impassable. This is a new storm, and I don't understand why we got NO warning until after the torrential rain and strong wind started.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:47 pm It gets worse by the minute. Just got another warning for people to stay off the roads, as many are closing, closed, or becoming impassable. This is a new storm, and I don't understand why we got NO warning until after the torrential rain and strong wind started.
:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Line of intense thunderstorms now from Midland/Odessa up thru the TX and OK panhandles. Tornados reported. Hope it weakens before it reaches here. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ian Shelton
@IanShelton1997
@NWSLubbock

@NWSAmarillo
Confirmed Tornado near Happy, TX.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Watch area moving closer.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jeff Piotrowski
@Jeff_Piotrowski
Major damage I-27 Norther of Happy TX.
@NWSAmarillo
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kara 🛰Ringed planetRocket
@ka_ruhh
2 MASSIVE TORNADOES SOUTH OF CANYON, TX 3:33pm #txwx
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jeff Piotrowski
@Jeff_Piotrowski
Large 3/4 mile wide hit the Pali Duro Canyon State park buildings all people are ok no injuries.#txwx
@NWSAmarillo
Lani

Post by Lani »

Another flood warning here. :bored:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The line of storm cells came, but as predicted, by the time it got here the wind speeds were much reduced. :biggrin:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Currently under a flash flood watch & wind advisory through Sunday, which is an improvement. I decided to attempt to drive out to get my mail and some treats for my dog and me (including wine - finally) and check out the road situation. I was able to get out and back in to my home. Very slow, in low gear, start and stop. I didn't enter the town below me that was flooded yesterday. I thought it was wiser to stay in my higher elevation.

Hanalei and beyond are still cut off and likely will be for awhile. No one knows yet what will be found when the mudslides and trees and are removed. The storm 3 years ago damage several areas of that road, and for weeks people were reliant on boats to bring supplies. Months before the road returned to normal. (It's a beautiful place. Almost moved there during my early days here. Fortunately, I didn't.)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... -blizzard/
A powerful, record-breaking winter storm plastered Colorado, Wyoming and western Nebraska with heavy snow and howling winds Sunday, generating whiteout conditions and bringing travel to a halt. The same storm was responsible for spawning tornadoes in the Texas Panhandle on Saturday, including two in the same place at the same time.

In Denver, conditions became so bad Sunday afternoon that the National Weather Service issued an emergency alert urging residents to stay off roads.

The snowstorm began gently Saturday before gaining strength Saturday night into Sunday. The National Weather Service upgraded a winter storm warning in effect for Denver, Boulder and Fort Collins in Colorado to a blizzard warning on Sunday afternoon as winds raged and snow intensified. Snowfall totals of 14 to 24 inches were expected in northern Colorado through Sunday night, with 20 to 30 inches in southeastern Wyoming, where a blizzard warning was also in effect.

Heavier amounts, topping three feet, were predicted in some of the highest terrain. Through mid-afternoon Sunday, nearly 33 inches had fallen in Aspen Park, Colorado about 30 miles southwest of Denver, with 19.6 inches falling in just four hours. About 35 inches of snow had fallen about 40 miles west of Cheyenne.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

It looks dandy outside. 30+ winds blowing wet snow as it falls. I guess today will be a good day to run the snow blower out of fuel for the season.
Largo al factotum.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

We spent yesterday watching the wind sculpt interesting shapes out of snow in our tiny back yard. It is impossible to tell how much snow we got from inspection, but here in Colorado Springs we were probably in the eight to twelve inches band. I haven't put on the news yet, but it looks like the major roads between Denver and Colorado Springs are still closed.

Fortunately, it never got so bad that the dogs refused to go out in the yard. We had a storm two years ago that was sufficiently severe that we finally had to leash the dogs and take them out to the front of the house so they could relieve themselves where they were sheltered from the wind a little bit.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -the-scale
massive sandstorm has combined with already high air pollution to turn the skies in Beijing an eerie orange, and send some air quality measurements off the charts.

Air quality indexes recorded a “hazardous” 999 rating on Monday as commuters travelled to work through the thick, dark air across China’s capital and further west.

Chinese meteorological authorities issued its second highest alert level shortly before 7.30am, staying in place until midday. A broader warning for sand and dust blowing in from the western desert regions was put in effect until Tuesday morning.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Oh, you mean like Portland last September.
Attachments
UPS CB ant for UHF radio.jpg
UPS CB ant for UHF radio.jpg (226.13 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Or San Francisco around the same time as Portland.
Estiveoshot_20210315_081115.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

zekeb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:25 am It looks dandy outside. 30+ winds blowing wet snow as it falls. I guess today will be a good day to run the snow blower out of fuel for the season.
We have a month more of winter which includes the wettest, heaviest snow! I'll wait until after Apr 15 to run my snowblower out of fuel.

It's just beginning to snow in the Cities. It's funny looking at the radar map - there's a sharp cutoff between folks getting a lot of snow and those getting just a bit. Since it's supposed to be 53° on Thursday and I don't have anywhere to go before then, I may not shovel. We'll see.

I don't know what time they get in, but my nephew and his family are flying into the Cities today from a vacation in Florida. They live 2½ hours south of the Cities, mostly down 35. They may have an interesting drive home.

Return to “General Stuff”