Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

FiveAcres

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by FiveAcres »

I was starting to scrape my driveway free of snow when a guy showed up with his snowblower. I had to convince him that we don't use the third garage or its driveway or he would have cleared the whole thing.

We got a lot of snow. I see official totals for Colorado Springs is 5 to 14 inches (COS is a very large area). I am fairly certain we got the top end of that.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am
zekeb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:25 am It looks dandy outside. 30+ winds blowing wet snow as it falls. I guess today will be a good day to run the snow blower out of fuel for the season.
We have a month more of winter which includes the wettest, heaviest snow! I'll wait until after Apr 15 to run my snowblower out of fuel.

It's just beginning to snow in the Cities. It's funny looking at the radar map - there's a sharp cutoff between folks getting a lot of snow and those getting just a bit. Since it's supposed to be 53° on Thursday and I don't have anywhere to go before then, I may not shovel. We'll see.

I don't know what time they get in, but my nephew and his family are flying into the Cities today from a vacation in Florida. They live 2½ hours south of the Cities, mostly down 35. They may have an interesting drive home.
I scrapped about an inch of snush (snow/slush) off the walk and stairs. I did not bother with the driveway because it won't bother my car and likely, it will melt away by Wednesday.

It was refreshing to not have to lift it 3 feet to throw it on top of the piles we already had. They went away rather quickly.
101010 :towel:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Traveled to the Army Soldier Facility in Natick MA on an IT call and the mini-weapon almost blew out of the MP's hand...as also my driver's license on the way back.

As of 2021/10/01 there will be a REALID requirement for this...6 months too early for me lolol....arrrrrgh
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:41 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am
zekeb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:25 am It looks dandy outside. 30+ winds blowing wet snow as it falls. I guess today will be a good day to run the snow blower out of fuel for the season.
We have a month more of winter which includes the wettest, heaviest snow! I'll wait until after Apr 15 to run my snowblower out of fuel.

It's just beginning to snow in the Cities. It's funny looking at the radar map - there's a sharp cutoff between folks getting a lot of snow and those getting just a bit. Since it's supposed to be 53° on Thursday and I don't have anywhere to go before then, I may not shovel. We'll see.

I don't know what time they get in, but my nephew and his family are flying into the Cities today from a vacation in Florida. They live 2½ hours south of the Cities, mostly down 35. They may have an interesting drive home.
I scrapped about an inch of snush (snow/slush) off the walk and stairs. I did not bother with the driveway because it won't bother my car and likely, it will melt away by Wednesday.

It was refreshing to not have to lift it 3 feet to throw it on top of the piles we already had. They went away rather quickly.
Received six inches of very wet snow here. It snowed very hard and this fell in about four hours, driven by a strong easterly wind. The snow blower grunted and groaned at this one. Five days after the last deep drift had melted and now the cycle repeats.
Il factotum
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0 ... sandstorm/
Biggest sandstorm in decade turns Beijing skies yellow
Updated / Monday, 15 Mar 2021 07:26

Beijing was cloaked in thick yellow smog with pollution levels surging off the charts as the worst sandstorm in a decade descended on China's capital.

City residents used goggles, masks and hairnets to protect themselves from the choking air, with landmarks including the Forbidden City and the distinctive headquarters of state broadcaster CCTV partly obscured behind an apocalyptic-looking haze of dust and sand.

The city government ordered all schools to cancel outside sport and events and advised those with respiratory diseases to stay inside, while some highways were partially closed.

The poor air quality was due to a sandstorm from northern Mongolia, where authorities said it had left several dead and dozens missing, before being carried south by winds and reducing visibility in Beijing to less than 500 metres.

Authorities described it as the worst sandstorm in a decade to hit the city, compounding days of hazardous PM 2.5 pollution in the capital.

Under heavy skies, which draped buildings in an eerie glow, Beijing residents fretted over the health risks.

"I feel every breath will give me lung problems," Beijing resident Zhang Yunya told AFP.

Flight tracker Variflight said more than 350 flights had been cancelled at two airports in the city, with dozens more delayed.

"This sandstorm is very fierce," said Pan Xiaochuan, a Beijing-based environmental health expert.

"I remember the sandstorms ten years ago blew away in less than an hour, but I'm afraid that this one will not have passed through the whole day."

Six people were killed by the sandstorms in neighbouring Mongolia, the country's national emergency management agency said, including a five-year-old boy from a herder family.

Another 81 people were still missing as strong winds and duststorms swept the landlocked country, which borders China.

Pollution in the city was at "hazardous" levels, according to air quality monitoring website Aqicn, as the reading soared off the scale for many apps.

Aqicn said levels of PM 10 large particulate matter were nearly 20 times the World Health Organization's recommended daily maximum exposure.

But the state-run Global Times said PM 10 pollution in the six downtown districts was "over 8,100" this morning - a figure which would be 160 times the recommended limit.

Smaller PM 2.5 particles, which seep deep into human lungs and cause respiratory illnesses, were also at a hazardous level of over 560 - more than 20 times the WHO recommended daily limit.

China cut its national average level of airborne PM 2.5 dramatically between 2015 and 2019 and the government has announced an ambitious target to reach carbon neutrality by 2060.

But Li Shuo of Greenpeace China told AFP that "intense" industrial activities have contributed to bad air in Beijing over recent weeks, with the production of steel, cement and aluminium already overtaking pre-pandemic levels.

This was exacerbating the sandstorm conditions, which are "a result of extreme weather conditions and desertification", he said.

Unbelievable. Mother Nature is taking her pound of flesh this year. And whoever took the photo above deserves an award.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/weather/ ... index.html
CNN)An outbreak of severe weather will threaten more than 50 million people this week from the southern Plains through the Southeast.

"A broad area of substantial severe weather potential, including risk for large hail, damaging winds, and several strong tornadoes, is anticipated Wednesday," the Storm Prediction Center (SPC) warns.

Long-track tornadoes are possible given the forecast weather pattern and environmental conditions, according to the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Mobile, Alabama.

These types of tornadoes are ones that consistently remain on the ground for an extended period of time, unlike a typical one that could be on the ground for just minutes.

There is also the risk for overnight tornadoes. Darkness makes it difficult to see a tornado on the ground, and it's these kinds of tornadoes that are more dangerous and deadly.

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/anima ... 210316.mp4
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was an interesting read.

I had a friend named Alyson. Hurricane Alyson was deadly, so they retired it. They replaced it with my name. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Don Murray
@meteodon
Drone shot of the large tornado that impacted Moundville, AL this afternoon where damage has occurred. This shot looking west from HWY 82 just north of Duncanville, AL.. Streaming LIVE sensor and video data with cyclonePORT in
@RadarOmega_WX
app! Dangerous night ahead.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm friends with a lady newscaster in town who reminded us on Twitter that the last time we had a weather prediction like today was 10 years ago, and we had 30+ tornadoes and 24 deaths. 'Course, I told her about the asteroid on Sunday, just to cheer her up. :batting:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
A system of severe thunderstorms that spawned tornadoes in Alabama and Mississippi was moving across the U.S. Southeast, threatening northern Florida, southern Georgia and the Carolinas, according to the National Weather Service https://reut.rs/3vCjqyZ
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
Drone footage shows widespread damage caused by a tornado in Moundville, Alabama, as severe weather battered parts of the South. https://abcn.ws/3s2LkSr
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Damn, they got those tarps up FAST!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We are on the northern edge of that storm, and we received a record rainfall for this date--1.66 inches so far. That's not a lot of rain for a lot of places, but that's a lot for here.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It’s a bit wet here

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:o

Hope you can stay dry.
Dave from down under

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:43 am :o

Hope you can stay dry.
Thanks!

Despite the rain - our creek hasn’t gone across our property... our house is high enough up the hill to be safe.

So no worries..

Just a bit rough on others..
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

After the fires, I'm starting to wonder if Oz is really the wonderful paradise I always thought it was.

Soon there will be nothing left but giant poison sneks! :shock:
Dave from down under

Those are likely to have been eaten by the Spidlies.
;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:eek:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The drop bears will adapt & rule the waters as they rule the land.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 am After the fires, I'm starting to wonder if Oz is really the wonderful paradise I always thought it was.

Until they get eaten by the man-eating crocs.
Dave from down under

One thing you need to be careful of is Bull Sharks that are left behind in “safe” stretches of the rivers..

They can at present swim over the rapids that would otherwise stop them from going that far upstream.
Dave from down under

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 pm
Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 am After the fires, I'm starting to wonder if Oz is really the wonderful paradise I always thought it was.

Until they get eaten by the man-eating crocs.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 7GKi8&s=10

Return to “General Stuff”