Weather Alerts

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 am I'm sorry to hear about this terrible heat. :(

Maybe it's a good time to go NEKKID. :whistle:
:batting:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In a couple of hours, we've gone from a pleasant mid-70s to mid-90s. Kitty perked up this morning, even for lap time, although she took a don't touch me attitude and slapped at my hands trying to play the jigsaw puzzle on the tablet. Cranky miss.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:46 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 am

My spouse agrees with you*. Not outside, though.

Me, I have to keep moving the hoses around for the dahlias, and the horses will be getting hosed off today as well.

*This is so atypical of my spouse that this is how you know it's not just 'hot', it's BLAZING HOT.
I was wondering how everyone's outdoor furbabies were doing. Poor furbabies! And poor parents of furbabies!

I hope your dahlias survive. They're one of my mostest favorite 🌺.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

LM K wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:27 pm
Azastan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:46 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 am
My spouse agrees with you*. Not outside, though.

Me, I have to keep moving the hoses around for the dahlias, and the horses will be getting hosed off today as well.

*This is so atypical of my spouse that this is how you know it's not just 'hot', it's BLAZING HOT.
I was wondering how everyone's outdoor furbabies were doing. Poor furbabies! And poor parents of furbabies!

I hope your dahlias survive. They're one of my mostest favorite 🌺.
Seattle will be getting up to about 110 today. Like two thirds of the households in Puget Sound, we have no real air conditioning. My wife will be bringing our FIV positive cat into my office this afternoon. I do not think he has eaten food since Sunday morning.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thankfully I don't have to work today and can keep an eye on kitty. It's unfortunate our new location doesn't have AC (they had to rebuild the whole unit, so AC expense was dropped). If there was AC there, I'd happily bring kitty in work with me. Would just have to shut the door to keep the boss's puppy out 8-)

Edit: I'm going to give this a try. There's a small size that might suit kitty just fine.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Poor babies, I’m sweating just reading about your temps! We have the usual 90s this week with more humidity than usual but at least it cools off at night. And we’re now in a severe drought so I have to pick which plants to save and which to let sink or swim (so to speak). Save those Dahlias, Azastan! Can you use soaker hoses for those?

Our house was built in the 30s. It sits in a promontory and was built using pre-air conditioning principles - few windows on the south side, each window catches the most possible breeze. And since we’re up above street level there’s not much to block all the breezes.

I’ve been practicing old-fashioned air management. All windows wide open until ~11am , then windows and curtains closed until the temp drops at night. We open them all again before bed. Between that and the thick, stucco walls it remains bearable inside…until about 108. We retreat to our bedrooms when that happens.

We have ac window units in 3 rooms only, bedrooms all. I don’t like window units but will suffer for the good of the mr. Ain’t I a saint? :biggrin:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:52 am
zekeb wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 am In Oregon you could away with that. As long as you don't do something sexual, it's considered protected 1A. Doesn't stop the cops from arresting you. You just won't be charged and prosecuted.
If a man showed arousal for whatever reason or no reason at all, he could be arrested and charged.
So women could go around nekkid and be aroused and nothin happens to them? That hardly seems fair.
That was my thought too when I heard it described that way by a deputy.
Largo al factotum.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'd almost forgotten I had an evaporative cooler, it's so rarely needed around here (works great as a big fan too), but I hauled it out and filled the tank with cold water and the frozen blocks it comes with. Not AC, but does give some relief. Home Depot and Loews has them on their website, but unclear if the stores have them in stock. Amazon has some in stock, but won't come until later this week.

Today will be the ultimate test, but the pleated blinds I got a couple of years ago are making a difference. It's not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The last time we went over 100 sweat was pouring off my body and I was constantly jumping in and out of cold shower. Took one yesterday afternoon and one around 2AM before I opened the windows to the cool air and that's been it.
slq

Post by slq »

My six fans are keeping it somewhat tolerable. In my neck of Seattle, the forecast for this afternoon/evening shows a high of 100. Not ideal, but no worse than yesterday. We're not predicted to get the 108-110 temps (probably because we're closer to the water). My portable evaporative cooler fan and neck fan (with water spray) arrive tomorrow. Until then . . .

For everyone feeling the heat, I stumbled upon a very helpful suggestiion. Place yourself in the breeze of a fan (mine is a Vornado and I'm currently sitting on the couch about 6 feet away). Fill a spray bottle with water. Spray into the fan. Feel cooled droplets of water fall on you. Ahhh. (This hack was born out of necessity because at 11:00 last night, it was still 89 degrees in the house. I used it in bed and instantly felt better. When I woke becuase it was too hot, I did it again, which helped for a while.)
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I took one of my reusable cool packs from the freezer and tucked it up next to kitty's belly.I didn't get sassed , nor did she get annoyed and walk away. She's now comfortably sleeping with it.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:11 pm I'd almost forgotten I had an evaporative cooler, it's so rarely needed around here (works great as a big fan too), but I hauled it out and filled the tank with cold water and the frozen blocks it comes with. Not AC, but does give some relief. Home Depot and Loews has them on their website, but unclear if the stores have them in stock. Amazon has some in stock, but won't come until later this week.

Today will be the ultimate test, but the pleated blinds I got a couple of years ago are making a difference. It's not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The last time we went over 100 sweat was pouring off my body and I was constantly jumping in and out of cold shower. Took one yesterday afternoon and one around 2AM before I opened the windows to the cool air and that's been it.
We bought blackout curtains for the livingroom and covered all the other windows with aluminum foil. It's stunning how much better the temperature is in our place once we did all of that.
LM K

Post by LM K »

New discovery. Freeze several bottles of water.

When you're hot, tuck one on your carotid artery; that cools your entire blood supply. It feels really good to tuck one between the boobies, too. :batting:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

LM K wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:35 pm New discovery. Freeze several bottles of water.

When you're hot, tuck one on your carotid artery; that cools your entire blood supply. It feels really good to tuck one between the boobies, too. :batting:
Damn, I just took the empty bottles out to the recycle bin. Will have to wait until I empty another.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm
LM K wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:35 pm New discovery. Freeze several bottles of water.

Damn, I just took the empty bottles out to the recycle bin. Will have to wait until I empty another.
I recommend freezing a few. They melt fast and take time to freeze.

A bag of ice, bag of peas/corn/berries will work well, too. Bottles of water are ideal for boobies.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My brother bought a mister setup for his TX summertime outdoor parties. He paid less than $100 and everyone loved it.

Like this:
Attachments
outdoormist_2000x_af89c5e5-e30a-49e2-b6b4-ebc4f9a19727_720x.jpg
outdoormist_2000x_af89c5e5-e30a-49e2-b6b4-ebc4f9a19727_720x.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Okay, we have officially broken the planet's thermostat when the Pacific Northwest is getting triple digit heat, and in central GA I'm at 86F and 31% humidity and the end of June...[normally we're at upper 90s with 70+% by this time]
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:10 pm My brother bought a mister setup for his TX summertime outdoor parties. He paid less than $100 and everyone loved it.

Like this:
When our daughters were in marching band in high school in Texas they stopped afternoon practices every few minutes to cool them off using mist.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
slq

Post by slq »

I decided to go see a movie during the hottest part of the day, this last day of Hades for the moment. In the Heights (a musical) has a showing at 4 pm. I bought a ticket. :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

slq wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 pm I decided to go see a movie during the hottest part of the day, this last day of Hades for the moment. In the Heights (a musical) has a showing at 4 pm. I bought a ticket. :cheer2: :cheer1: :cheer2:
I just chatted with my Seattle sister and we were remembering how, when we were young, the theaters advertised that they were air conditioned and that's where a lot of folks went to cool off.

Edited to add: Apparently a number of Seattle folks are staying at local hotels which makes a lot of sense when you don't have air conditioning at home.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I just got an email from Coast Guard Mutual Assistance - a charitable foundation that lends money to Coast Guard active duty, reserves, and retirees. They’re offering interest-free loans up to $3K to Coast Guard folks in the PNW who have to get hotel rooms because if the heat.

Might not sound like a big deal, but for some folks that’s huge!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It was not common in the 1950s to have air conditioning, but we did. Dad was a small town doctor back when doctors made house calls in the middle of the night. It was so important that Dad was able to sleep when he could and an air conditioner made that possible. I pity anyone who has to sleep in a too warm house! You end up cranky because you are both hot and sleep deprived.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I had forgotten I owned this. A welcome find.

Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (180.04 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:40 pm
Edited to add: Apparently a number of Seattle folks are staying at local hotels which makes a lot of sense when you don't have air conditioning at home.
Seattle hotel occupancy is at a two year high. Rooms are difficult or impossible to come by.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If kitty has to suffer, I will suffer with her. I have no idea how much time we have left - she had a big operation to remove some growths on her tummy (I forget the proper term for it). Cancer was found in the stuff they removed and the vet said she had two years tops. That was in 2016 and here we are summer 2021 three years later. Now she's got a heart murmur, so it's just day to day for my senior girl. Looking forward to temps dropping overnight and giving her some relief.

Return to “General Stuff”