Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Spring has come on the early side here. It's getting pretty green, and the temps have been in the 70s, going to 80 today. There are no night temps lower than the mid 40s for the next week, so I put out a Boston fern that thrived outside in a pot last year, that I brought in for the winter, back out. Last year, spring seemed to take forever to come, so I am thoroughly enjoying this. Yeah, if it snows a little, at this point, who cares? I'll pull the fern back into the airlock.

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

zekeb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:35 am The snow blowers have been summerized and stored in the shed for the season. I usually do this on April 15, but it can snow 10 feet of snow now and I won't care.
A nephew from Iowa is coming up Thursday and I have a list of things for him to help me with including summerizing the snowblower and helping me get my car and the summer tires to the dealership so they can switch out my winter tires. Because of the pandemic, I never put my summer tires on last spring. Fortunately, I didn't drive a whole lot last summer.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

We don't get big dust devils in Morgan Hill very often – it's more of a Central Valley thing – but we had one today, right by the 101.
Estiveoshot_20210415_214456.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cooooooollllll!!! If you travel on the Grand Prairie near Stuttgart, Arkansas, and the soybean farms, you get to see Dust Devils occasionally. If you drive by the rice fields you see helicopter sized mosquitoes in mass quantities.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Anyone know where Hall Lake Dam is located?

NWS Mobile
@NWSMobile
There is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for a breach in Hall Lake Dam. Water is expected to pass through rural areas and affect homes along King Bee Rd. & any neighborhoods in the surrounding area until it drains into Black Creek south of the dam. Seek HIGHER GROUND NOW if in this path
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Stone County, Mississippi.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 pm Stone County, Mississippi.
Thanks!

Hall Lake Dam breached in Stone County amid flooding

https://www.wjtv.com/news/pine-belt/hal ... -flooding/
The National Weather Service (NWS) in Mobile said there has been a breach at a dam in Stone County.

The breach happened at Hall Lake Dam near the Lake-A-Way Camp Grounds. An emergency has been declared for areas near Highway 26 and John Willis Road.

According to the NWS, Stone County has been placed until a flash flood emergency until 9:15 p.m. on Friday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Missed trump's Infrastructure Week by that much.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tornadoes all around. Sirens blaring and the radio says one on the ground "on I-55" but I-55 goes from Memphis to New Orleans (and is less than a mile from our house) and they aren't narrowing it down any more than that. My husband just walked out the door about 30 seconds before the sirens cranked up, on his way to pick up pizza. Fortunately, the pizza place is only a couple of blocks the other direction from the highway. We may be eating supper in the tub tonight.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scott McClellan
@ALWXChase
Calhoun City, MS officials have declared an emergency. Major damage in town, confirmed by local law enforcement. #mswx
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jason Brand
@BestBrandWx
*TORNADO EMERGENCY* Damaging tornado moved right through #Tupelo. Tupelo Fire confirmed the tornado - law enforcement is reporting trees lines and structures hit. Extensive damage. Ongoing tornado to hit near *Natchez Trace Pkwy/State 4 NOW! Get down! #mswx
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Eek. Stay safe, Sugar.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:40 pm Eek. Stay safe, Sugar.
We're fine, it touched down just south and then east of us, but we got the green air. My husband's pizza was perfect. Mine was so bad I sent them a complaint. It was also the first test of the new power lines in our neighborhood and they performed like a champ. Until they were installed we would lose a transformer every time it stormed and be without power for a few hours. Last night, not so much as a flicker. So, all in all, more good than bad.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 am
We're fine, it touched down just south and then east of us, but we got the green air. My husband's pizza was perfect. Mine was so bad I sent them a complaint. It was also the first test of the new power lines in our neighborhood and they performed like a champ. Until they were installed we would lose a transformer every time it stormed and be without power for a few hours. Last night, not so much as a flicker. So, all in all, more good than bad.
Glad to hear it. Sorry the pizza was bad. Serving bad pizza should be a criminal offense. ;)
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 am
Glad to hear it. Sorry the pizza was bad. Serving bad pizza should be a criminal offense. ;)
I apparently had very bad food juju yesterday anyway. Ordered on-line in the morning, paid for it and my husband went to pick it up. They "didn't serve" one thing I ordered, were out of another one and one was the wrong thing. Of course, there were no good substitutes for any of the three things and the store couldn't refund it because it had been ordered and paid for on-line. We ate what they gave us but we didn't like it.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 am
I apparently had very bad food juju yesterday anyway. Ordered on-line in the morning, paid for it and my husband went to pick it up. They "didn't serve" one thing I ordered, were out of another one and one was the wrong thing. Of course, there were no good substitutes for any of the three things and the store couldn't refund it because it had been ordered and paid for on-line. We ate what they gave us but we didn't like it.
How can you order (and pay for) something they “don’t serve”?

I’d be ever so pissed. I have a lot of anxiety about food, and it would be so upsetting to me if they sent the wrong thing. I’m very forgiving about the quality - it doesn’t have to be the best food in the world - but it most definitely has to be the food I was expecting.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 am
How can you order (and pay for) something they “don’t serve”?

I’d be ever so pissed. I have a lot of anxiety about food, and it would be so upsetting to me if they sent the wrong thing. I’m very forgiving about the quality - it doesn’t have to be the best food in the world - but it most definitely has to be the food I was expecting.
We don't actually know the answer to that question. My husband is the absolute least confrontational person in the world and he's the one who picked it up. He called me to let me know what was going on and I was definitely pissed but didn't want to take it out on him so I just changed the order to one of the things they offered as a substitution even though it was something I could have made myself at home. The only thing I did order that didn't need to be substituted was the one thing they got wrong.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Chance of falling rocket-

Glad to see they have narrowed the danger zone. ;) :roll:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:20 pm Chance of falling rocket-

Glad to see they have narrowed the danger zone. ;) :roll:
Remember when Skylab was coming down and people were painting targets on their roofs in a tongue-in-cheek notion that since Nasa couldn’t actually hit a target, you were safer with a target on your house?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pittsburgh set a record yesterday for the most rain in 50 years on that date, 1.17 inches. We had hoped to go out to eat outside yesterday with the whole family, but it was really miserable. It never got above 45 degrees, and it never stopped raining. We just visited here instead. But after the vegan and vegetarian part of the family left, we did takeout. We had surf and turf, which normally I would never have dreamed of ordering for takeout, but since the restaurant is less than five minutes away, we decided to take a chance. I would do it again, but only from this really close restaurant.

Our record rainfall for a single day is somewhere north of 5 inches, maybe 20 years ago. Normally, because of all the trees and the good soil, rain never pools anywhere on our property. Our front yard looked like a swimming pool with trees, and water ran down our driveway for days after. We went from a swimming pool to our own private waterfall.

It's cool today, not 70 degrees where it should be, but close to 60 with beautiful clear sunny skies. What a difference a day makes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/india-health ... 20921c06aa
NEW DELHI (AP) — A powerful cyclone that emerged in the Arabian Sea made landfall on India’s western coast on Monday, hours after authorities evacuated hundreds of thousands of people and suspended COVID-19 vaccinations in one state.

Cyclone Tauktae, the most powerful storm to hit the region in more than two decades, came ashore in Gujarat state with heavy rain, a battering storm surge and sustained winds of up to 165 kilometers (103 miles) per hour, the India Meteorological Department said.

Forecasters warned of possible extensive damage from high winds, heavy rainfall and flooding in low-lying areas.

Twelve people were reported dead before the storm hit land and hundreds of thousands were evacuated, a process complicated by the coronavirus pandemic.

The massive storm came as India is battling a devastating coronavirus surge — and both the storm and the virus could exacerbate the effects of the other. The storm had already led to the suspension of some vaccination efforts and there is greater risk of virus transmission in crowded evacuation shelters.
And so the 2021 cyclone/hurricane season begins.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not an alert, but the horrifying story of the 1957 Ruskin Tornado, an E5, that killed dozens, destroyed an entire Kansas City neighborhood, most of a small town just south, Martin City, not to mention the others who found themselves in its sight, along its 1-1/2 hour, 1/2 mile wide trek through NE Kansas and NW Missouri. It names the victims and tells the story of their last hours, and others who barely escaped with their lives. It struck 64 years ago today. It was ranked the worst tornado ever recorded, damage and deaths, until the Joplin (also Missouri) Tornado about 20 years ago.

This tornado hit the day I was brought home from "The Baby Store" My family lived in south Kansas City and, other than loss of power, our area suffered no damage from the tornado. Our 50s era neighborhood had basements but Ruskin did not. Mom warmed up my bottles by stuffing them down her bosom. Apparently my father, like other men of the era, chose to watch the tornado from the open garage, shouting at other neighbor men also watching from their garage while the women folk hunkered downstairs with the kids. Is that a testosterone thing?

https://newsantafetrailer.blogspot.com/ ... fYn2b7oLUg
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That is a testosterone thing! My dad and my husband do it
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/20 ... ional-0109
California’s deepening drought has worsened into a crisis, as a second dry year in a row has diminished the state’s water supply and another difficult fire season looks inevitable. Nearly three-quarters of the state is in extreme to exceptional drought. With the wet season all but over and a hot, dry summer probably ahead, water shortages and fire danger are poised to intensify.

The past several weeks have shown dramatic change in drought status: Extreme drought has expanded through the northern Sierra’s crucial water region and in the agricultural San Joaquin Valley.

Exceptional drought, the worst category in the federal government’s U.S. Drought Monitor, has descended upon the Bay Area and the nearly snow-free southern Sierra. Moderate drought conditions or worse cover all of California.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

From fire to flood:

https://weather.com/news/news/2021-05-2 ... evacuation
Between 300 and 350 in Iberville Parish were under the evacuation order. A flood barrier called an AquaDam failed. Much of Louisiana has been battered by heavy rainfall this week.

Hundreds of people have been ordered to evacuate from a rural community in southern Louisiana after a flood barrier known as an AquaDam failed and water began pouring over a roadway.

Evacuations were ordered at about 10 a.m. CDT Friday for 300 to 350 homes in an area known as Bayou Pigeon, about 34 miles southwest of Baton Rouge in Iberville Parish.

“Water is coming and if we don’t stop it very quickly it will flood a lot of houses that historically don’t flood," Sheriff Brett Stassi told weather.com in a phone call Friday afternoon.

Return to “General Stuff”