Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 pm
Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 am After the fires, I'm starting to wonder if Oz is really the wonderful paradise I always thought it was.

Soon there will be nothing left but giant poison sneks! :shock:
Until they get eaten by the man-eating crocs.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 7GKi8&s=10
I've had the great pleasure of being in Oz once; never had to see one of them.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Until they get eaten by the man-eating crocs.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 7GKi8&s=10
I've had the great pleasure of being in Oz once; never had to see one of them.

It’s the ones that you don’t see that get you!

And the ones that you do see that you can’t outrun.. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:21 pm One thing you need to be careful of is Bull Sharks that are left behind in “safe” stretches of the rivers..

They can at present swim over the rapids that would otherwise stop them from going that far upstream.
Darn those diadromous bull sharks. :mad: They have been found in the Mississippi River 700 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico in Illinois. :o
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

:shark2:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nsw-floods
As record-breaking rains batter the NSW coastline and southern Queensland, causing widespread flooding, animals and insects are scrambling to escape the waters.

Shenae and Steve Varley witnessed a similar phenomenon on Sunday, when they visited the Penrith weir in western Sydney. Shenae said spiders covered “the entire length of the railing that’s not under water”.

“There were also skinks, ants, basically every insect, crickets – all just trying to get away from the flood waters. My husband videoed it, because I was not going close to it. When he was standing still he had spiders climbing up his legs. A skink used him as a pole to get away from the water.
:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kate Fotheringham, from the state’s mid-north coast, was almost forced to delay her wedding after the venue was flooded. Instead, she was helicoptered into the site and posted a photo on social media with her new husband surrounded by floodwaters.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... dneys-west
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We are under a Red Flag Warning again. Gusty winds and low humidity.
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Norman OK
1200 PM CDT Mon Mar 29 2021

OKZ004>048-050>052-TXZ083>090-301700-
Harper-Woods-Alfalfa-Grant-Kay-Ellis-Woodward-Major-Garfield-
Noble-Roger Mills-Dewey-Custer-Blaine-Kingfisher-Logan-Payne-
Beckham-Washita-Caddo-Canadian-Oklahoma-Lincoln-Grady-McClain-
Cleveland-Pottawatomie-Seminole-Hughes-Harmon-Greer-Kiowa-Jackson-
Tillman-Comanche-Stephens-Garvin-Murray-Pontotoc-Coal-Cotton-
Jefferson-Carter-Johnston-Atoka-Love-Marshall-Bryan-Hardeman-
Foard-Wilbarger-Wichita-Knox-Baylor-Archer-Clay-
1200 PM CDT Mon Mar 29 2021

This hazardous weather outlook is for portions of northern...
western...central...and southern Oklahoma...and western north
Texas.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight...

.Fire Weather...
Strong gusty south winds combined with low humidity and warm
temperatures will lead to a large area of increased fire weather
conditions. The strongest conditions are expected in parts of
western OK where Critical fire weather conditions will be
possible. A Red Flag Warning is effect for northern, western, and
parts of central Oklahoma and western north Texas for this
afternoon.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

And once again, we are under a flash flood warning. Not raining at my house yet, but the North Shore is scrambling. People have been told to get where they're going and plan to stay there for awhile. The river is rising, and the bridge is expected to close later today.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Lani wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm And once again, we are under a flash flood warning. Not raining at my house yet, but the North Shore is scrambling. People have been told to get where they're going and plan to stay there for awhile. The river is rising, and the bridge is expected to close later today.
HURRY!!!!!

Get a case of wine :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks for the reminder! Heading out soon to get my 2nd shot... and a bottle of wine. The North Shore bridge just closed due to rapidly rising water. Still not raining at my house, tho!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:21 pm One thing you need to be careful of is Bull Sharks that are left behind in “safe” stretches of the rivers..

They can at present swim over the rapids that would otherwise stop them from going that far upstream.
Bull sharks are the sharkification of adapt or die. Their kidneys can process both salt and fresh water.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

I’m just waiting for them to discover hover boards and for their gills not to collapse out of water... then there will be nowhere safe..
Cue oblig. Oboe music..
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:43 pm I’m just waiting for them to discover hover boards and for their gills not to collapse out of water... then there will be nowhere safe..
Cue oblig. Oboe music..
Landshark!

Dave from down under

:hide: :shark1:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Tek needs to be aware of bull sharks at his new digs! :shark1:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Associated Press
@AP
High winds are hampering firefighters battling wildfires in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The wildfires have forced the evacuations of more than 400 homes and closed Mount Rushmore.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:10 pm High winds are hampering firefighters battling wildfires in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The wildfires have forced the evacuations of more than 400 homes and closed Mount Rushmore.
[Q]The fire is a controlled burn to cover the dust from the creation of the full-size Trump sculpture on Mt. Rushmore. They have to do this on an expedited basis so it is up when he re-enters the White House in 2 weeks.

The military has taken all the arrested folks there to use as labor. That's why we have not noticed all the arrests from February and the last year.
[/Q]
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

10-4, N-10!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A new record - 84° in the Twin Cities at 5pm today. :eek: That will probably spur storms tonight, hopefully we won't end up with severe ones. The temperatures drop back to more normal levels tomorrow and it will be rainy. April showers. Well, we do need some rain so I guess I won't complain.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Going up to 89° today, and sunny. My kind of weather!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... re-record/
On Dec. 29, 2018, a weather satellite peering down over the Pacific spotted a cluster of towering thunderheads with extremely cold cloud tops. A recently released study confirms one of the clouds was measured at minus-168 degrees Fahrenheit, establishing a record for the coldest cloud-top temperature reliably measured globally.

For comparison, that’s almost 40 degrees colder than the lowest temperature ever measured on Earth’s surface — minus-129.3 degrees in Antarctica in 1983. The coldest reading obtained in North America was minus-81 degrees, measured in Canada’s Yukon Territory in 1947.

The results offer new insight into exactly how cold the tops of clouds embedded in deep thunderstorm activity can get, as well as highlight the enormous technological strides making these modern-day observations possible.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 am Going up to 89° today, and sunny. My kind of weather!
Eww.... 79 I could handle. but too much further and I become mean and nasty. Too also, my little place has window A/C and I have not put it in yet so it would have been brutal (cross ventilation is not good here in my place). It got up to 79 but my place never got down to the outside temperature later.

After the rain comes through, it will go to the 60s tomorrow. It was amount 79 today but then dropped 8 degrees quickly.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

79 here, too, today. It was thoroughly enjoyable today, but I don't have summer stuff out yet, so it was hot during the night. It will be about the same most of the week. I think winter's over, although we could always get a touch of snow yet. We had 56 inches of snow this winter, more than a foot above normal. It was mostly front-ended, though, and usually disappeared pretty quickly until January, but there hasn't been much since then, so I'm good.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:39 am Going up to 89° today, and sunny. My kind of weather!
always puts me in a better mood
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

The snow blowers have been summerized and stored in the shed for the season. I usually do this on April 15, but it can snow 10 feet of snow now and I won't care.
Il factotum

Return to “General Stuff”