Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

At the movies ...

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

At the movies ...

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, for those of you who weren't born in the year 2020, there used to be these things called movies, and they were shown at movie theaters. Didn't see that comin', didja? :shock:

And they're back. The new Marvel Cinematic Universe film video, nobody uses film any more, is the Black Widow movie, which is finally getting released - after several postponements - on Friday.

Out from under. :thumbsup:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: At the movies ...

Post by Luke »

We're still loving Kanopy, which through your library gives you six free movies (or Great Courses) monthly.

PARASITE is on there, along with I, TONYA, and hundreds of other really unique choices. They catalog it beautifully with associated titles. Lots of great documentaries too, the William Castle Tingler docu is really well done. We're watching PURPLE MOON for the first time and really enjoying it.
Purple Noon - The Criterion Collection

Alain Delon was at his most impossibly beautiful when PURPLE NOON was released and made him an instant star. This ripe, colorful adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's vicious novel The Talented Mr. Ripley, directed by the versatile Rene Clement, stars Delon as Tom Ripley, a duplicitous American charmer in Rome on a mission to bring his privileged, devil-may-care acquaintance Philippe Greenleaf (Maurice Ronet) back to the United States. What initially seems a carefree tale of friendship soon morphs into a thrilling saga of seduction, identity theft, and murder.

Featuring gorgeous location photography of coastal Italy, PURPLE NOON is crafted with a light touch that allows it to be at once suspenseful and erotic, and it gave Delon the role of a lifetime.

Made it a double feature with LE SAMOURAI.

Running Time 119 mins
Year 1960
Rating PG-13
Filmmakers René Clément
Features Alain Delon, Marie Laforêt, Maurice Ronet

In a career-defining performance, Alain Delon plays a contract killer with samurai instincts.

A razor-sharp cocktail of 1940s American gangster cinema and 1960s French pop culture--with a liberal dose of Japanese lone-warrior mythology--maverick director Jean-Pierre Melville's masterpiece LE SAMOURAI defines cool.

Running Time 106 mins
Year 1967
Rating GP
Filmmakers Eugène Lépicier, Jean-Pierre Melville, Raymond Borderie
Features Alain Delon, François Périer, Nathalie Delon

Purple Noon | Kanopy https://www.kanopy.com › product › purple-noon
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Shameless plug.

One of my best friends (he's like my big brother) is actor Hiroyuki Sanada, he was in the recent Mortal Combat and has been in tons of films and TV shows (Lost, Westworld, Rush Hour, Last Samurai, tons of action films from Sonny Chiba, Shakepeare on the West End including King Lear with Nigel Hawthorne, etc). I'm so proud of him, a long and noble career. Before filming The Last Samurai, he called and said "Brother, I am going to kick the ass of the Tom Cruise!". I was like what? He did. Ended up spending several weeks on the set, it was great. Flash forward... he called and said "Brother, I am going to kick the ass of the Brad Pitt!". I'm like let me guess. Sure enough he did, thought because of damn COVID couldn't visit the set. The first trailer came out at ComicCon, can't share it but this story gives some details. At first, thought it said Brad Pitt and Bugs Bunny Slap Each Other Around... which would be cool too also. Coming April 2022.
Brad Pitt, Bad Bunny Slap Each Other Around in Sleek First Look at ‘Bullet Train’
By Matt Donnelly

“Bullet Train” went off with a bang at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Monday. The first-ever footage from the Brad Pitt action thriller was screened at the annual convention of movie theater owners during an opening night presentation from Sony Pictures. Directed by “Atomic Blonde” helmer David Leitch, the movie follows five assassins on a high-speed train who realize their assigned targets are related. The footage boasts the aesthetic we’ve come to expect from Leitch: high-contrast glamour with bareknuckle violence.

Anyone thinking this was Pitt’s attempt to slip into a Tom Ford suit and brandish a gun like a typical leading man, rest easy. His character, listed only as “Ladybug,” is a drifter rocking hiking boots and a faded tweed coat on Leitch’s gorgeous and claustrophobic train. While the ensemble boasts stars like Sandra Bullock, the studio chose to bless the exhibitors with a clip of Pitt and global hip-hop star Bad Bunny. In his first substantive feature film role, the artist also known as Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio is a formidable opponent for Pitt.

Sporting a white pinstripe suit, killer boots and an edge weapon, Bunny and Pitt slap each other around a luxury cabin on the speeding train. It’s all fun and tussling over a briefcase until someone gets stabbed. The footage also included actor Hiroyuki Sanada as an ominous passenger.

Additional cast includes Joey King, Andrew Koji, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Brian Tyree Henry, Zazie Beetz, Michael Shannon and Logan Lerman. The project is based on the book “Maria Beetle” by Kōtarō Isaka. “Bullet Train” is produced by Columbia Pictures, 87North Productions and Fuqua Films. Leitch is also taking on a producer role, alongside Antoine Fuqua, Kelly McCormick and Kat Samick. “Bullet Train” will mark the first film that Bullock and Pitt have appeared in together, and is set for release on April 8, 2022.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/bull ... 235047141/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
filly

Post by filly »

A friend went to see Respect.. She is a movie lover and an Aretha lover and couldn't wait to leave and left before the movie was over because it was B-O-R-I-N-G. Sad!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Heard that too, Filly. Definitely a shame. Will wait for Kanopy to see her performance.

Kanopy does have the INCREDIBLE Aretha Amazing Grace concert movie recorded in January 1972 at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles. Sydney Pollack directed it. A beautiful, life-affirming experience.

Aretha Franklin concert doc Amazing Grace is a sweet gospel stunner: https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/03/28 ... cumentary/

Amazing Grace | Kanopyhttps://www.kanopy.com › product › amazing-grace-0
A documentary presenting the live recording of Aretha Franklin's album AMAZING GRACE at The New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:40 am Heard that too, Filly. Definitely a shame. Will wait for Kanopy to see her performance.

Kanopy does have the INCREDIBLE Aretha Amazing Grace concert movie recorded in January 1972 at the New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles. Sydney Pollack directed it. A beautiful, life-affirming experience.

Aretha Franklin concert doc Amazing Grace is a sweet gospel stunner: https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/03/28 ... cumentary/

Amazing Grace | Kanopyhttps://www.kanopy.com › product › amazing-grace-0
A documentary presenting the live recording of Aretha Franklin's album AMAZING GRACE at The New Temple Missionary Baptist Church in Watts, Los Angeles
We saw the "Amazing Grace" doc more or less on impulse. Not sure what we expected, perhaps something more like a big-budget biopic than a documentary. But we thought it was pretty impressive afterwards. It really captured her incredible energy.

Look for the legendary Bernard Purdie on drums... he has done session work on hundreds, if not thousands, of albums. Truly a staggering talent. The almost-as-legendary Chuck Rainey is on bass.

But the best cameos are from Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts, who were in the audience, two of only a handful of white people. They aren't seen until well into the film. The camera pans past them without stopping and you say, "Gee, that guy looks more than a little bit like Mick Jagger." Then you see Charlie and think the same thing. Eventually, they're identified with a subtitle and, IIRC, they say a few words towards the end of the film. Not enough for their star power to overshadow the concert, but just enough to confirm its impact.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The 13 year old boy that lives in my head LOVES Deadpool!

https://screenrant.com/deadpool-3-write ... ney-movie/
Deadpool 3 Writers Confirm Sequel Will Still Be Vulgar Even Under Disney
Deadpool 3 writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick assure fans concerned about Disney toning the character down that “Deadpool is gonna be Deadpool”.

Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, the writers for Deadpool 3, have confirmed that the upcoming threequel will still use its trademark vulgarity despite being made by Disney's Marvel Studios. Played to perfection by Ryan Reynolds, the wisecracking merc with a mouth originally made his less than stellar debut in 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Due to heavy criticism leveled at the character's portrayal in the film, Reese and Wernick were brought on board to help pen a spinoff film more true to the character's comic book origins. Eventually getting the green light from Fox Studios after the enthusiastic public response to leaked test footage, the first Deadpool film was released in 2016 to a great deal of critical and commercial success, grossing over $782 million at the worldwide box office.

Following the release of the film's sequel in 2018, Disney completed the process of acquiring Fox Studios and with it, the rights to the Deadpool, X-Men, and Fantastic Four franchises. When the merger concluded in March 2019, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that Deadpool and the other Fox-owned Marvel properties would be integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe under the control of Marvel Studios. Later that year, Reynolds himself would confirm that Deadpool 3 would be moving ahead with Marvel Studios, and this March it was announced that Shawn Levy (Free Guy, The Adam Project) would be helming the film as director.

With many fans wondering how the more family-friendly Marvel Studios would handle Deadpool's offbeat and often vulgar sense of humor, Reese and Wernick have recently sought to set people's minds at ease. Speaking with Den of Geek, the writing duo asserted that "Deadpool is gonna be Deadpool". Reese also went on to suggest that Marvel Studios have "been incredibly supportive of what we're doing" when asked about writing within the confines of the Disney-owned studio. Check out his full comments below:

Don’t worry about that. They’ve been very supportive with regard to that. Now when it comes to a particular joke, if we cross a line, maybe we’ll hear at some point, ‘Maybe not that joke.’ But I think they’ve been incredibly supportive of what we’re doing, because obviously we were doing it separate from them for a long time, and I think they’ve seen the success and they’ve had their own even greater success. So hopefully it’ll be a marriage made in heaven. But we’ve definitely got their support, and that’s a great thing to feel.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s where i fell in love with Ryan Reynolds. Sprout thought I would love it, and i did.
Lani

At the movies ...

Post by Lani »

While playing on the intertubes, I saw a trailer for the movie "Strays." I thought it might be a new family movie. Um... no. The main dog was dumped by his owner, and the dog thought the man was playing with him. Then things got worse when the main dog realized that the owner didn't love him.

Definitely an adult movie, very funny, and lots for cursing. A group of strays help the new dog with learning how to live on the streets. And then they decide to castrate the former owner. Tit for tat.

Not a cartoon. Real dog actors, and they look very talented. Humans include Will Ferrell, Will Forte & Jamie Foxx.

So for the dog people on the forum, here's the trailer.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

At the movies ...

Post by Volkonski »

Haven't seen this yet but think I will.

In ‘The Quiet Girl,’ a history making film for Ireland

https://apnews.com/article/oscars-film- ... 71c35a8ea8
Irish filmmaker Colm Bairéad discovered Claire Keegan’s novella “Foster” a little later than most.

The “long short story,” as Keegan likes to call it, is told through the eyes of a 9-year-old girl in rural Ireland who leaves her overcrowded, neglectful family in the summer of 1981 to live with distant relatives— an older, childless couple. There, she experiences love and care for perhaps the first time in her life.

Irish filmmaker Colm Bairéad discovered Claire Keegan’s novella “Foster” a little later than most.

The “long short story,” as Keegan likes to call it, is told through the eyes of a 9-year-old girl in rural Ireland who leaves her overcrowded, neglectful family in the summer of 1981 to live with distant relatives— an older, childless couple. There, she experiences love and care for perhaps the first time in her life.

Published in The New Yorker in 2010, it won several awards and garnered comparisons to Seamus Heaney’s poetry and William Trevor’s stories.

Bairéad’s adaptation, “ The Quiet Girl,” (now playing in North America) has become no less significant and is proving to be a watershed moment for Irish cinema. Not only has it broken box office records in Ireland and the U.K., but it’s also the first Irish language film to compete for an Oscar.

And it might not have been possible had Bairéad encountered the story any earlier. It was in 2018 when he spotted it on a best of list of works by Irish women. He went out that day, bought it and read it. By the end, he was in tears and dreaming of a way to turn it into a film... in Irish.

“I felt like it was something I had to pursue with great conviction,” he said in a recent interview. “It just really affected me. I fell in love with every aspect from its emotional potency to its formal qualities. And it just felt so compassionate a piece of work. I felt a strong desire almost to shelter this young fictional child at the center of it kind of suffering in silence.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke

At the movies ...

Post by Luke »

Here are tonight's Oscar winners:

'Everything Everywhere All at Once' won best picture; acting nods for Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis; and writing and directing Oscars for Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. Brendan Fraser was named best actor for 'The Whale.'

Full List: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235349224/

Everything Everywhere was a really fun movie, took a bit to get into it but then it was a crazy ride. Happy to see Michelle and Jamie Lee win. Top Gun got Best Sound. It was a fun slate of movies, we watched several of them this year.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

At the movies ...

Post by RTH10260 »

Michelle Yeoh: rare footage of Oscar-winner at 1984 Australian beauty pageant unearthed
Yeoh also made first on-screen appearance while in Australia in 1980s – in a Guy Laroche watch advertisement alongside Jackie Chan

Rafqa Touma
Tue 14 Mar 2023 06.10 GMT

Michelle Yeoh on Sunday became the first Asian woman to win best actress at the Academy Awards – but an Australian broadcaster has since unearthed archival footage of the actor at a beauty pageant at a Melbourne community festival in 1984.

more details of early life at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/m ... -unearthed
johnpcapitalist

At the movies ...

orlylicious wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:45 am Here are tonight's Oscar winners:

'Everything Everywhere All at Once' won best picture; acting nods for Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan and Jamie Lee Curtis; and writing and directing Oscars for Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. Brendan Fraser was named best actor for 'The Whale.'
I'm not much on movies and was not familiar with "The Whale" at all before reading about it here. I do remember Brendan Fraser for all those movies where he played a muscular, hapless but well-meaning goofball ("George of the Jungle", "The Mummy," etc.) back in the day. I thought his career had basically faded, because I don't recall hearing ads for him in a movie for many years.

It sounds like quite a reinvention story to be able to go from typecast in those early movies to winning the best actor Oscar.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

At the movies ...

Post by Kriselda Gray »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:11 am I'm not much on movies and was not familiar with "The Whale" at all before reading about it here. I do remember Brendan Fraser for all those movies where he played a muscular, hapless but well-meaning goofball ("George of the Jungle", "The Mummy," etc.) back in the day. I thought his career had basically faded, because I don't recall hearing ads for him in a movie for many years.

It sounds like quite a reinvention story to be able to go from typecast in those early movies to winning the best actor Oscar.
His career didn't really fade away, he pretty much withdrew from Hollywood after being groped at a party several years ago - something he's had a very difficult time coming to terms with. In addition to the~a goofball movies he'd done, he also did some smaller dramatic films during that time that showed his potential as a dramatic actor. I'm really glad he's been able to make this comeback and Realize some,of that potential :). He's always struck me as just a really cool guy.l
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

At the movies ...

Post by RTH10260 »

Barbie movie tops $1bn in global box office ticket sales, breaking record for female directors
Barbie is now the biggest film to be directed by one woman, with director Greta Gerwig supplanting Wonder Woman’s Patty Jenkins

Agencies
Mon 7 Aug 2023 02.01 BST

Barbie has broken the US$1bn mark since its debut more than two weeks ago, with director Greta Gerwig breaking a record for female directors previously held by Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins.

Warner Bros Pictures announced on Sunday that the movie took in $459m from North American theatres and another $572.1m overseas over the weekend, for a total of $1.0315bn (A$1.56bn, £800m). The figure was confirmed by media analytics firm Comscore.

“As distribution chiefs, we’re not often rendered speechless by a film’s performance, but Barbillion has blown even our most optimistic predictions out of the water,” said Jeff Goldstein and Andrew Cripps, who oversee domestic and international distribution for the studio, in a joint statement.

The Margot Robbie-led and produced film has been comfortably seated in first place for three weeks and it’s hardly finished yet. It crossed $400m in the US and $500m internationally faster than any other movie at the studio, including the Harry Potter films.

Directed by Oscar-nominated writer and director Gerwig and starring Robbie and Ryan Gosling as Barbie and Ken, the movie sends the famous toy doll on an adventure into the real world.

Barbie ticket sales now rank second this year to The Super Mario Bros, which raked in a total of $1.357bn at the box office.

In modern box office history, just 53 movies have made over $1bn, not accounting for inflation, and Barbie is now the biggest to be directed by one woman, supplanting Wonder Woman’s $821.8m global total. Three movies that were co-directed by women are still ahead of Barbie, including Frozen ($1.3bn) and Frozen 2 ($1.45bn), both co-directed by Jennifer Lee, and Captain Marvel ($1.1 bn), co-directed by Anna Boden.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/a ... -directors
johnpcapitalist

At the movies ...

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:37 pm
Barbie movie tops $1bn in global box office ticket sales, breaking record for female directors
Barbie is now the biggest film to be directed by one woman, with director Greta Gerwig supplanting Wonder Woman’s Patty Jenkins
So much for the right wing nutjobs confidently predicting that this would be an example of their newfound boycott power. "Go woke, go broke," indeed.

Incidentally, we actually saw it last week. I was impressed. Outstanding visuals and production design. Great acting. Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling played plastic dolls for part of the movie but dropped into a nuanced performance of the struggle to find one's identity as the movie progressed. Definitely had a big message, but it was woven into the story quite organically and wasn't at all pushy. Recommended.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

At the movies ...

Post by Foggy »

Saw Dune Pt. II yesterday. Zendaya has way more fun being Spider-Man's gf than being Paul Mu'ad Dib's gf. And who decided that the mean guy would look meaner if'n he shaved his eyebrows? I didn't think he looked very mean. :bored:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sterngard friegen

At the movies ...

Post by sterngard friegen »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am Saw Dune Pt. II yesterday. Zendaya has way more fun being Spider-Man's gf than being Paul Mu'ad Dib's gf. And who decided that the mean guy would look meaner if'n he shaved his eyebrows? I didn't think he looked very mean. :bored:
All I can say, Pappy, is your shaved eyebrows comment is a lot better than your shaved armpits comment. (I remember!)
Dr. Ken

At the movies ...

Post by Dr. Ken »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am Saw Dune Pt. II yesterday. Zendaya has way more fun being Spider-Man's gf than being Paul Mu'ad Dib's gf. And who decided that the mean guy would look meaner if'n he shaved his eyebrows? I didn't think he looked very mean. :bored:
Maybe it's because I read the book and watched the syfy miniseries that I feel they changed a lot and it felt like they did a whole this shit feels like it took place over months instead of years
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bob

At the movies ...

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 pm Maybe it's because I read the book and watched the syfy miniseries that I feel they changed a lot and it felt like they did a whole this shit feels like it took place over months instead of years
► Show Spoiler
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

At the movies ...

Post by Dr. Ken »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:57 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 pm Maybe it's because I read the book and watched the syfy miniseries that I feel they changed a lot and it felt like they did a whole this shit feels like it took place over months instead of years
► Show Spoiler
And that's what annoyed me about it.... so much story that went untold about that.
Reddog

At the movies ...

Post by Reddog »

:yeahthat:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

At the movies ...

Post by Frater I*I »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 pm

Maybe it's because I read the book and watched the syfy miniseries that I feel they changed a lot and it felt like they did a whole this shit feels like it took place over months instead of years
If you've never seen the director's cut, splurge on Amazon and get it, the only problem I had with SciFi's job was the poofy Chef Boyardee hats they had the Sardukar wear...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Dr. Ken

At the movies ...

Post by Dr. Ken »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:39 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 pm

If you've never seen the director's cut, splurge on Amazon and get it, the only problem I had with SciFi's job was the poofy Chef Boyardee hats they had the Sardukar wear...
Yes those were the worst. I have the directors cut on DVD. I used to have children of dune but lost it. I reordered it on Blu-ray but I think it's from a different region as us is our of print
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

At the movies ...

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and I caught up on our movie watching as we flew yesterday from Bergen, Norway, to Amsterdam, to Atlanta to Little Rock starting at 2:30 a.m. and reaching home at 11:30 p.m.

He watched Oppenheimer, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and Anatomy of a Fall. (We plan to finish the last one. It is superb.)

I watched Barbie, Asteroid City, The Little Mermaid, and Something’s Gotta Give (a nice repeat).

I was distracted as he watched Oppenheimer cuz Cillian Murphy grabs your eye any time he is on screen. I have loved him since the independent film Intermission.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”