Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Memorial Day

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Memorial Day

Post by northland10 »

For those who served and died to protect our freedoms in this and all our countries.

101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Memorial Day

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Liz

Post by Liz »

How the times have changed.
Back in my day it was called Decoration Day. It always happened on May 30th and suckers and losers had nothing to do with it.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Liz wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am How the times have changed.
Back in my day it was called Decoration Day. It always happened on May 30th and suckers and losers had nothing to do with it.
Memorial Day was originally celebrated on May 30th until 1971, after the Uniform Monday Holiday Act was passed in 1968. It's been known as Memorial Day since after World War I. It's 'Decoration' Day in the southern US, where it is known as that because it decorates the graves of Confederate veterans.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Attachments
RWNJ.jpg
RWNJ.jpg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
RWNJ2.jpg
RWNJ2.jpg (111.58 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... orial-day/
Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter was midway through his speech at a Memorial Day ceremony in an Ohio cemetery when he started discussing the role that freed Black enslaved people played in an early event honoring Civil War dead.

Suddenly, his microphone cut off. Kemter, 77, tapped it a few times before yelling for assistance, video of the Monday event shows.

“I assumed it was a technical glitch,” Kemter, who carried on with his speech off-mic while he waited for the audio to return, told The Washington Post.

But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... orial-day/
Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter was midway through his speech at a Memorial Day ceremony in an Ohio cemetery when he started discussing the role that freed Black enslaved people played in an early event honoring Civil War dead.

Suddenly, his microphone cut off. Kemter, 77, tapped it a few times before yelling for assistance, video of the Monday event shows.

“I assumed it was a technical glitch,” Kemter, who carried on with his speech off-mic while he waited for the audio to return, told The Washington Post.

But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”
I have declined numerous invitations to join so many veteran groups like the American Legion because of the depth of "stupid" in each one. It takes just one meeting to prove it's not for me. Ugh.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:13 am I have declined numerous invitations to join so many veteran groups like the American Legion because of the depth of "stupid" in each one. It takes just one meeting to prove it's not for me. Ugh.
FWIW, this one had a better outcome in the end. From the racism thread...
northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm This one has a happy ending. The commander of the Ohio America Legion has suspended the charter of the post pending permanent closure and has demanded the post officer resign his membership. The lady from the auxiliary is also out.

https://www.ohiolegion.com/wp-content/u ... 4.2021.pdf
https://www.ohiolegion.com/

The American Legion has reprinted the speaker's speech in full, unedited, with the speaker's permission.

https://www.legion.org/honor/252713/ful ... jf03SvXrPc
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “General Stuff”