Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Memories of Maru/Princess Foofypants/Mata Maru

Whatever4

Memories of Maru/Princess Foofypants/Mata Maru

Post by Whatever4 »

The Princess left her mark on all of us. I’ve been asked to write a “story that reflects her life through the lens of friends that were close to her. A collaborative piece involving many friends would be lovely.” So please contribute your favorite story.

Portrait of a princess, by a friend.
5503204B-BEAB-4089-902E-2C36E6E47749.jpeg
5503204B-BEAB-4089-902E-2C36E6E47749.jpeg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
I first knew her as Maru. We met in person maybe a dozen times. The first time I went to her house the back yard was relatively plain as they hadn’t lived there long. The second time, Realist had built her a garden fit for a princess: meandering borders, plenty of things that bloom, and a bench for contemplating it all.

The house was HUGE, especially to me as I’m a city condo girl. Just like Maru — dramatic, larger than life, gorgeous, kinda quirky. That first visit is a blur. My mom had been hospitalized and I needed to get away for a weekend. Realist and Maru invited me down. I’m pretty sure they didn’t expect me to sleep the whole weekend, but I did. The guest room was that perfect. They even drove me home (!!) a 3-hour trip in rain.

I met their menagerie of cats, including the famous Weeny. Weeny was a perfect match for Maru. Weeny LOVED me. (Weeny loved everyone.) Weeny was maybe 5 lbs, and I’d swear 4 of that was floof. Certainly not brain cells. My favorite story is when Maru came home from work, she’d always find Weeny waiting in the window to welcome her home. One day, she was working from home and discovered Weeny in the window, watching patiently for Maru. Or maybe my favorite was Weeny catching their tail on fire. Or stalking and killing a piece af dry pasta for hours.
32C6766E-44A6-4D2C-817F-0A89CC47EBAC.jpeg
32C6766E-44A6-4D2C-817F-0A89CC47EBAC.jpeg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
582D1316-9E94-44EF-A275-98E013F69849.jpeg
582D1316-9E94-44EF-A275-98E013F69849.jpeg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
My second trip was prime Maru. We museum hopped (Women artists and murder dioramas), ate (artisanal grilled cheese and conveyer belt sushi), and shopped for shoes. (I own maybe a dozen pairs. Maru has a shoe closet.) We walked into Nordstrom and salespeople flocked to her side like pigeons to someone with bread. We had open boxes spread all over sales floor. I bought THREE pairs. Maru was dangerous in a store.

My last story for this post involves a chocolate set from 1868. I was cleaning out my mom’s stuff and posted pictures of various things that were up for grabs. Maru fell in love with the set, which Realist described as “vewy vewy pink.” It’s peak Maru — elegant, impractical, evocative of a rich and tasty life.
04FD7BB1-7B8C-404E-B141-9088CC6E8D3F.jpeg
04FD7BB1-7B8C-404E-B141-9088CC6E8D3F.jpeg (142.85 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Please add your stories.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Whatever4

Re: Memories of Maru/Princess Foofypants/Mata Maru

Post by Whatever4 »

OMG, how could I forget the boots? At the Washington DC meetup, Maru wore an amazing pair of boots because it was pouring rain. Peep toe boots. (I can’t find the actual picture.) that’s how she rolled.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I first met her at the Washington, D.C. meetup at MetoDC’s place on Capitol Hill. In fact, that’s the first time I met anyone from The Fogbow. Also present were Foggy and Wifehorn, Foggy’s Dad, and two of the nicest young men I’ve ever met but whose names I cannot recall at the moment because, like the staircases at Hogwarts, they change.

W4 was there. W2? Can’t recall. Listeme and Verbalobe. Tarrant. Roadscholar and Mrs. Scholar. MetoDC and his wonderful dogs (airedale’s?, and there were two, right?).

Then-regular Maru (before she was President Maru) regaled us with her recent adventures at Ikea, where she took an unexpected tumble which ended with a trip to the ER and stitches on her lovely face. I’m sure it was horrible for her and realist, but her telling of the story a few weeks after it happened was hilarious. And, of course, those boots.

I met her a few more times. At the meetup in Philly (and Baltimore ?), then twice more for dinner - once when W4 came to visit realist and Mia, then again right after the Myrtle Beach meetup when W4 returned to Northern Virginia with me and we met them for dinner.

Here’s the thing. You never think of time as finite. I feel bad that I can’t even remember what we talked about, and it was probably something silly like the dumb stuff our pets did. Or the dumb stuff Orly Taitz did. But I know I enjoyed her company immensely, and I am extremely grateful that I got to spend the little bit of time with her that I did.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
realist

Post by realist »

“Whatever4” wrote: The Princess left her mark on all of us. I’ve been asked to write a “story that reflects her life through the lens of friends that were close to her. A collaborative piece involving many friends would be lovely.” So please contribute your favorite story.
It was great of Barb to contact you for the article. I look forward to reading the article you write. :thumbsup: :bighug:
Image X 4
Image X 32
tesibria

Post by tesibria »

Not really a story, but ….

When I first met *Maru* in 2008, I came to know her as a cat-loving, high-fashion shoeaholic. She showed a lightning wit that was brilliantly cutting when appropriate – and always spot on. She never “wasted” a post – her posts always had a point. And a good one. I respected her both for her sharp wit and keen mind.

I first met *Mia* here in Phoenix at our first meetup, where I watched (almost literally) sparks fly between my very good friend and her. My recollection of meeting Mia that hot weekend was that she was a larger-than-life FORCE. So Tall. So striking. Such red hair. She was a princess no doubt – but she was a princess with the hugest heart – so warm, gracious and generous with her friending (i.e., the action of being a friend). I think everyone fell a little in love with her. I know I did.

And for the next several months (which then turned into years), I got to know Mia much better – though the head-over-heels-in-lust-and-love eyes of my utterly besotted friend, with whom I talked all the time at the time. No, I didn’t learn any deep, personal secrets; nor did I get blow-by-blows of dates or anything of the sort. I just had the extraordinary privilege of experiencing her as even smarter, even more generous, even more … everything … than could possibly come through a screen – or even over a single weekend. I saw how she so loved Bob – all of him, including his kids and family. For real. I saw what a kind, giving, loving (as a verb), ... edifying partner she was.

I saw how incredibly happy she made Bob.
That’s how I knew Mia best. Through the happiness her love created.

By our DC meetup, Mia and Bob were officially “together” and … probably not surprisingly, when we had some time to chat for a spell or two, we ended up talking about … Bob. And it was so obvious that she was as besotted with him as he was with her.

And in the ensuing years, I stayed connected with Mia via facebook and the occasional call with both Bob and Mia. And, my strongest memory of those (too few) calls when I got to speak with both of them was how sore my face got from smiling and laughing so much as they giggled through stories of their life together.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

She was also President Mia. She led her HOA, which shows how brave she was.
realist

Post by realist »

tesibria wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 pm Not really a story, but ….

When I first met *Maru* in 2008, I came to know her as a cat-loving, high-fashion shoeaholic. She showed a lightning wit that was brilliantly cutting when appropriate – and always spot on. She never “wasted” a post – her posts always had a point. And a good one. I respected her both for her sharp wit and keen mind.

I first met *Mia* here in Phoenix at our first meetup, where I watched (almost literally) sparks fly between my very good friend and her. My recollection of meeting Mia that hot weekend was that she was a larger-than-life FORCE. So Tall. So striking. Such red hair. She was a princess no doubt – but she was a princess with the hugest heart – so warm, gracious and generous with her friending (i.e., the action of being a friend). I think everyone fell a little in love with her. I know I did.

And for the next several months (which then turned into years), I got to know Mia much better – though the head-over-heels-in-lust-and-love eyes of my utterly besotted friend, with whom I talked all the time at the time. No, I didn’t learn any deep, personal secrets; nor did I get blow-by-blows of dates or anything of the sort. I just had the extraordinary privilege of experiencing her as even smarter, even more generous, even more … everything … than could possibly come through a screen – or even over a single weekend. I saw how she so loved Bob – all of him, including his kids and family. For real. I saw what a kind, giving, loving (as a verb), ... edifying partner she was.

I saw how incredibly happy she made Bob.
That’s how I knew Mia best. Through the happiness her love created.

By our DC meetup, Mia and Bob were officially “together” and … probably not surprisingly, when we had some time to chat for a spell or two, we ended up talking about … Bob. And it was so obvious that she was as besotted with him as he was with her.

And in the ensuing years, I stayed connected with Mia via facebook and the occasional call with both Bob and Mia. And, my strongest memory of those (too few) calls when I got to speak with both of them was how sore my face got from smiling and laughing so much as they giggled through stories of their life together.
:bighug: :lovestruck:
Image X 4
Image X 32
realist

Post by realist »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 pm She was also President Mia. She led her HOA, which shows how brave she was.
Brave enough to serve for 3 years and "president" for 2. And when she decided not to run again, she had literally hundreds of email and texts and calls virtually begging her to reconsider.

Just like the rest of Mia's life, she presided over the HOA with love and caring for all the residents, but also being firm on the rules and regs and holding contractors to the line. There were no yelling and screaming matches at the meetings, which had been the norm before, things got done, accounts were changed so money was earning interest, etc. She was just being Mia, which worked really well. Always did. :thumbsup:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OK, I've been putting this off, because I wanted to talk to realist first, only I've been putting that off because I knew various members of his family were visiting and I wanted to let him get past the initial flood of grief, and then Tuesday night in the Virtual Meetup W4 asked me to contribute to this thread, and I finally blurted out the truth that I wasn't really acknowledging even to myself, which is that I haven't called realist yet because I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to get through it without crying. We've lost a lot of good people over the years, but this one hit me way harder than most, because as you know, I met Mia so many times and had so much respect, admiration, and affection for her.

Reminder to self: Call realist, and get through it.

Shit. :crying:

So anyway, I've already written about meeting her. Instead of that, on this thread, I thought I'd write about Indonesia.

See, way way back when I first ran across Mia (and back then she was Marina Lincoln online, but then later Maru, Princess Foofypants, etc.) she was one of the original Obots who formed this community, y'all know that much. And at that time, a lady who worked as a paralegal for birther lawyer Phil Berg invented a number of lies about President Obama that all arose from the known fact that he lived in Indonesia for several years, from age 6 to age 10, and his mother, who by then was divorced from the first Barack Obama (our president is named Barack Obama II), had remarried a gentleman from Indonesia named Lolo Soetoro, who became President Obama's stepfather for those years.

There were two lies in particular that were invented and promulgated by Lisa Liberi, the paralegal for Phil Berg.

The first was that President Obama had been adopted by Lolo Soetoro in Indonesia, and had thus become an Indonesian citizen. Of course, since Obama was born in Hawaii, he was a natural born American citizen, and the only way he could lose his American citizenship was to formally renounce it, and he couldn't do that until he was at least 18 years old. His mom could have divorced Lolo and then married and divorced five other guys in five different countries and little Barry would still be an American citizen, being a minor who couldn't renounce. American citizenship is not the fragile thing the birthers always thought it was. I used to tell birthers that if they really thought that Indonesian law could take away American citizenship, they were great Indonesian patriots but as Americans, they sucked.

Of course, there was no real proof that he was ever formally adopted by Lolo Soetoro, either. In fact, if memory serves, there was some problem with being adopted at age 6 under Indonesian law, which tends to confirm that he was never adopted at all. But even if he had been, he would have kept his American citizenship, with which he was born. However, a school record from Indonesia surfaced (more on that below) and he was apparently enrolled as "Barry Soetoro" which PROVED BY GOD that he had been adopted. And the birthers complained vociferously that there was no record of him changing his name back to Barack Hussein Obama II, so how could he be acting as president using the name he was actually born with? :shrug: Of course, they didn't complain too much about Leslie Lynch King, Jr. serving as president under the name Gerald Ford, or William Jefferson Blythe III serving as president under the name Bill Clinton, but whatevs.

The other lie, and this one Lisa Liberi said she got from calling the Indonesian embassy in our nation's capital, was that little Barry could not have attended school in Indonesia unless he was an Indonesian citizen. At that time, the most popular lie that was circulating about President Obama's schooling in Indonesia was that he had attended a madrassa, a Muslim school for Muslims. Of course, that meant (they claimed) that he was trained to be a terrorist or something, because we have about 7 million Muslims in the USA, and more than 7 of them have turned out to be terrorists. So just statistically, he had to be a terrorist who hates America. They also said that once you become a Muslim, you have to be a Muslim forever, because Islam doesn't accept the concept of lapsed or converted Muslims, so there.

Couple problems with all that: One, it turned out that they found an actual school record from the Santo Fransiskus Asisi school in Jakarta, and for those of you who live in caves somewhere Franciscans are CATHOLICS, not really Muslims at all. :lol: And two, there was a lot of yelling and frothing at the time about how Obama went to a church in Chicago where the pastor was Jeremiah Wright, who made a number of controversial statements over the years that were viewed as anti-American, and there was some conflict in people's minds as to whether Mr. Obama was a really, really horrible Muslim terrorist or a really, really horrible America-hating Christian, but it's kind of hard to be both, so ... hey, I didn't make the world, OK? There was a lot of reaction to having the first black president, it was all so very entertaining and scary, but we were there fighting it tooth and claw.

But then Lisa Liberi said she called the embassy of Indonesia in our nation's capital, and they solemnly told her that you had to be an Indonesian citizen in order to go to school there. She didn't say who she talked to, maybe a janitor who picked up the phone after hours or somebody, but there it was - PROOF, if any proof was needed, that Obama lost his American citizenship and was a citizen of Indonesia (and maybe Kenya, where they claimed he was born).

But then here was this lady Marina Lincoln, an Obot if there ever was an Obot, and her father was some kind of diplomat, and she had lived in both Indonesia and Kenya during her childhood, and she reported that she had managed to attend school as a child in Indonesia and yet, miraculously, had never become an Indonesian citizen. :? And she was right there on Phil Berg's blog, ObamaCrimes.com, explaining to the idiot birthers that Lisa Liberi was full of horseshit, and she probably either didn't understand what somebody at the Indonesian embassy told her because of the language barrier, or maybe she just plain made it up, but it certainly wasn't true that President Obama had to be an Indonesian citizen in order to go to Catholic school in Jakarta, end of story.

Which, of course, made Marina Lincoln a great heroine to those of us who were trying to squelch all the lies about our newly elected president. And got her kicked off ObamaCrimes for telling inconvenient truths. We were all kicked off ObamaCrimes.

But then she turned up on another birther website, ObamaHub, which wasn't a blog, it was a forum just like this one (same software even) and us Obots could finally send private messages to each other, which was important because ObamaHub only lasted until the day after the inauguration in January 2009, but by then we had each others' email addresses and kept in touch until Politijab was created three days later. I think we exchanged about 250 emails in those 3 days, it got a little crazy which is why Justin and Brian started a website for Obots, which is what led to Fogbow.

Marina Lincoln was a big part of all of that. When the birther movement dried up and blew away, after all those years, she stopped participating on Fogbow quite as much, like a lot of other people who left and moved on. But since she met realist and they fell in love -- our forum romance, which was super cool and wonderful -- she was always around for meetups here and there, and still a part of this amazing community.

And goddamnit, I miss her. I have said before, it's just wrong. It's just wrong that she's gone. I better take a couple more days before I call realist, or I'll be sobbing like a baby. :crying:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I just read this factoid and thought “forward to Maru.”
Every year since 1850, a basket of roses has been sent to Anne Boleyn’s grave from her descendants in Kent. For the first 150 years, nobody knew who was sending them.
Sad again.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm I just read this factoid and thought “forward to Maru.”
Every year since 1850, a basket of roses has been sent to Anne Boleyn’s grave from her descendants in Kent. For the first 150 years, nobody knew who was sending them.
Sad again.
:bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

:crying: :crying:

She was one of the founding players in our sportsball pick 'ems even.

What a tragic loss.

:crying: :crying:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:crying:
:grouphug:
verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

:grouphug: :oldman:

Good day, denizens of Marufloofystan.

I have three depictions to share, snapshots of me, more so than of Maru. These are the three distinct doorways that I have to choose from, if I take a stroll into such memories. As I have been doing.

I knew Maru as a fairly prolific poster here. In this she was incisive, kind, funny, curious, and resourceful. Clearly a force to be reckoned with, unforgiving of intentional deceit or cruelty. As time went on, I began to know her here through others' eyes, fogmembers who had met her at meetups. I began to think of her as a princess, or goddess. A being to inspire awe.

Later still, I knew Maru as Realist's betrothed. I had known Realist in much the same way as described above for Maru -- via his presence here on the board, which is omnivorous, irascible, deeply informed, funny, old fashioned, and if I recall correctly, he's an old radio ham, which automatically makes anyone cool. Never mind the guitar. Visualizing the two of them together elevated my conception of Maru's personality from two-dimensional to n-dimensional, where n is a large number that got lost in the fog(bow). (Edit: this is what the kids today call "mind blown," I think.)

Lastly, I met Maru in person only twice -- both at a Washington D.C. meetups. The first evening started (for me) with some confusion -- I vaguely recall running late, getting lost, or both. Words like "Uber" and "Avenue K" flitted about unhelpfully. Finally I was at a restaurant, in time for dessert? It's a blur. Since I was alone and flying the verbie-listeme flag and my schoolboy crush tesibria was there, I think I can be forgiven some lapses in concentration.

The group gradually filtered out onto the street, meetuppers making their decisions about where to go next, whether to head home, et cetera. Some of us decided on continuing on foot. The dark streets of Washington were punctuated by streetlamps. It may have rained earlier. The air was still and not too hot. A car would swish by or an uproar, quickly hushed, would echo from a party on some deck somewhere.

I did that thing when you're walking in a large group, which has had to string out on narrow sidewalks, of managing to look as if you casually know the way, all the while watching those in the lead to assess whether they know the way, and hoping that they do. Surprisingly often in this scenario, in my experience, they do not, and don't realize everyone is following them. (That didn't happen in this instance, as far as I recall.)

Anyway, here is the bit I think of. I'm momentarily alone, enjoying the air. Behind me, Tes has fallen into step with Maru. Was this the night Maru broke a heel? Was that earlier or later? Anyway, I think Tes and she were arm in arm. I could hear their voices but not their words. Based on Tes's post here above mine, they were speaking of "the boyfriend," which wouldn't have surprised me.

These two magnificent humans, magnificent women. From across space and time, they'd collided here, as unlikely as a Higgs-Boson event, and they'd chosen to fall into each other's orbit for an instant. All the magic that is in us, as sapient creatures, as citizens of Earth, was in that moment.

- - -

These were all a matter of very slight acquaintance, in truth. But most of the time, slight acquaintance is all we get. I try to pay attention and not miss the gems that wheel by on their way elsewhere. I feel blessed by Maru.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Verbie! It's margarita time!!
verbalobe

Post by verbalobe »

sterngard friegen wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 pm Verbie! It's margarita time!!
:callonme:
realist

Post by realist »

One month ago today.

Sometimes it seems like it's been but a minute ago.
Sometimes seems like it's been forever.

It always feels empty.
Image X 4
Image X 32
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:( :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:heart: :bighug:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
realist

Post by realist »

As many here know, Mia was quite an animal lover. Following her passing, our community held an event in her honor. It asked for donations for pets, such as food, treats, blankets, et cetera, anything they may need.

The turnout was spectacular. Mia was so loved. The resulting donations filled the bed and the back seat of a full-size pickup. Really filled them. Plus $140 in cash.

Today I received the following letter of thanks. Mia would have been a little embarrassed about her name being mentioned but she would have been ecstatic with the result.
Frederick Letter Mia.pdf
(435.71 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Also, thank all here who made a donation to various pet entities in her name. :bighug:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Return to “General Stuff”