Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Recipes

MN-Skeptic

Recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Some of the old threads I don't mind losing, but some threads were timeless. The recipes thread was one of those.

Please re-share.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes! I was just trying to remember something I was going to make that was just put up recently. I can't even remember what category of food it was in. :roll:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Ever since my sweetie passed away almost three years ago I've been eating a lot of frozen and deli meals. I've considered getting a small instant pot and making real meals. If anyone has simple recipes that they love for an instant pot, I'd appreciate if you'd share those.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:58 pm Ever since my sweetie passed away almost three years ago I've been eating a lot of frozen and deli meals. I've considered getting a small instant pot and making real meals. If anyone has simple recipes that they love for an instant pot, I'd appreciate if you'd share those.
Boiled eggs. 5 or 6 mins of cook, depending on how well you want your yolk done. 5 minutes of keep warm. 5 mins in ice water. They peel sooo easily. There, you've tapped the extent of my cooking ability. As a slow cooker, it kind of bites. It is indeed slow. Do not pressure cook stews or other gravy-based foods. The gravy will burn and stick to the bottom within 5 minutes. Instant Pot sends a few recipes with the pot. They mostly zero in on cooking vegetables. A quick search on the intertoobs will find oodles of recipes.

Pressure cooking meat goes quickly. It sort of tenderizes tougher meats. I wouldn't ruin a good steak by putting it in an IP.
Il factotum
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

This is my recipe for black beans. I use half and freeze half for later. Makes the best burritos/tacos.

Instant Pot Black Beans

Ingredients:
1 pound dried black beans (about 2 cups), no need to soak
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced (i use a poblano when making burritos)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
(optional – ½ tsp. Epazote, 1 tsp. Chili powder)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water or vegetable stock

Optional for serving: diced avocados, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, etc.

Directions:
1. Rinse and drain the beans and pick out any stones or bad, cracked-looking beans. Set aside.
2. Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the onion and bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften. Stir in the cumin, oregano, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cook until the spices are very fragrant, about 30 seconds. Cancel SAUTE function.
3. Add the water/stock and beans and stir. Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on HIGH pressure for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, allow the steam to release naturally for 20 additional minutes. Remove the lid. Check if beans are tender – if needed reseal and cook another 5 min. on High. Once done, remove the bay leaves and discard them.
Great for burritos, black bean soup, etc.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wonder if the instant pot is similar to the microwave when it first came out. There were lots of cookbooks in the early '80s with recipes for EVERYTHING cooked in a microwave. Needless to say, not everything should be cooked in a microwave! :lol:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

They sell some of the what I consider to be necessary accessories separately. I purchased an egg holder, an insert with handles and a couple of gaskets. The 6 quart model is barely large enough for some meats. The 8 quart model is better, but it takes longer to heat up. You'd be fine with the 6 quart model but I wish it was a little shorter and a larger diameter.
Il factotum
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Recipes

Post by RTH10260 »

Hungry for news, hungry for food...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

not exactly a recipe but I liked the video filming on the fairly new channel. I am not sure if there is some commercial background to it, Google did not offer anything obvious.

Webspoon World --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpTaew ... CuYKmgXneQ

sample (seems the guy likes eggs)

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Akiva Cohen
@AkivaMCohen
What British nonsense is this? There are days when people might question whether American Independence was a wise thing. This is not one of those days.
Quote Tweet
Rate My Takeaway
@RateMyTakeaway
· 18h
15" Chip Inn Meat Box with Curry Sauce
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Oh, my! I read some comments hoping to find out what the meat was. I never really did, but the comments are hilarious. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Barbarians! Who ever wants to eat soggy fries? Who wants that stuff over their clothes when the cardboard turns soft and flops? Really, serve the curry sauce in a plastic comtainer for on the way!

Meat: cut from a Kebab skewer, so it's most likely minced beef. If it's been made at a place with mid-eastern or Indian / Pakistani / Bangladeshi influence (think curry), could also contain lamb. If it's on the nasty side, beef stretched with chicken.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 pm Barbarians! Who ever wants to eat soggy fries? Who wants that stuff over their clothes when the cardboard turns soft and flops? Really, serve the curry sauce in a plastic comtainer for on the way!

Meat: cut from a Kebab skewer, so it's most likely minced beef. If it's been made at a place with mid-eastern or Indian / Pakistani / Bangladeshi influence (think curry), could also contain lamb. If it's on the nasty side, beef stretched with chicken.
That finally became my guess for the meat. I'm not interested in trying it. I was okay (although not with the serving size) with the cheese on the french fries, but it went downhill quickly after that.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Merged the two Recipes threads.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I made chicken shawarma, lemon dill rice pilaf, hummus and yogurt sauce for supper last night but we ate it all before I took a picture. I also made an incredibly easy naan, for the first time ever, and I will definitely be doing that again. Naan is a staple in my fridge and most mornings my breakfast is a fried cheese naan. I had 2 this morning.
Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:29 pm I made chicken shawarma, lemon dill rice pilaf, hummus and yogurt sauce for supper last night but we ate it all before I took a picture. I also made an incredibly easy naan, for the first time ever, and I will definitely be doing that again. Naan is a staple in my fridge and most mornings my breakfast is a fried cheese naan. I had 2 this morning.
Recipe for "incrediably easy naan" please.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:47 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:29 pm I made chicken shawarma, lemon dill rice pilaf, hummus and yogurt sauce for supper last night but we ate it all before I took a picture. I also made an incredibly easy naan, for the first time ever, and I will definitely be doing that again. Naan is a staple in my fridge and most mornings my breakfast is a fried cheese naan. I had 2 this morning.
Recipe for "incrediably easy naan" please.
https://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft ... ead-yeast/
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:19 amThanks!
Just finished the last piece a few minutes ago. Definitely going on my don't-ever-run-out list.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Recipes

Post by Slim Cognito »

My brother, who joined right before the the big crash of 2021, sent me his bbq bean recipe. He hasn't rejoined because he's taking a social media sabbatical but hopes to reengage eventually. He wanted me to make sure you knew the recipe is from a book called The Passion of BBQ published by the Kansas City Barbecue Society.

And they are the best beans I've ever had. I could live on them.

Also, he says to be sure to sauté the onions first and he prefers the bacon be cut into small pieces as large pieces of bacon bother some people.
BBQ Beans.jpg
BBQ Beans.jpg (88.25 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Japan: fried rice and omlette

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Chick Fil Gay - for people who want the taste but don't want to contribute to the hateful ideology and efforts of Chik-Fil-A or whatever that company name is

https://hilahcooking.com/chick-fil-a-copycat/
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

In our Texas kitchen we have an Instant Pot and a sous vide. We use them both quite often.

Here on the North Fork we just bought a newer model Instant Pot which has a built in sous vide function.

I'm looking forward to the availability of a wifi enabled all-in-one microwave/air fryer/pressure cooker/sous vide/toaster convection oven. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o but will it also sweep the kitchen floor :?:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

And, even more important, will it feed the cat?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”