Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2021 Olympics - Japan. Or maybe not.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: 2021 Olympics - Japan. Or maybe not.

Post by raison de arizona »

somerset wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm That said, mental and physical toughness are hallmarks of world class athletes. To give this a little perspective, what would the sportsball fans here think about a star quarterback "not being mentally up" for the superbowl? Or a star forward "not being mentally up" for the world cup finals? Would they be given the same deference?
If they had been repeatedly sexually abused by their coach with a blind eye turned to it, I'd like to hope I would. There is a lot of background to this.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

somerset wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm That said, mental and physical toughness are hallmarks of world class athletes. To give this a little perspective, what would the sportsball fans here think about a star quarterback "not being mentally up" for the superbowl? Or a star forward "not being mentally up" for the world cup finals? Would they be given the same deference?
I would hope so.
Gotta disagree. She chose to represent the United States at the Olympic Games. She's been entrusted by her team and her country to be the anchor of the team. If you don't owe the people who trust you something, what good is trust?
Well, let us keep in mind what the stakes are for the two parties here. For the spectator, the most they are going to get out of something is entertainment and bragging rights, the worst consequence they are going to get is a little less entertainment and maybe a little ribbing from a foreign coworker about how one team did better than the other.

For the athlete, being off their game can result in life altering injury or death. They also have to evaluate if their current condition will help or hurt a team.

Part of being a professional is having the perspective and experience to say 'no, this is a bad idea and could result in an accident if we move forward'. By virtue of making it that far in their profession they have already demonstrated that they are not some kind of devia who ducks out on a whim.

I do not see this as a violation of trust at all. Trust is all about predictable behavior, and I expect professionals to exercise this kind of veto when they feel it is appropriate. So she was operating well within the range I would expect. Same as if I hired a contractor to do some kind of construction work.. if they come back and say 'no, I couldn't do this safely' or 'my workers are not in a condition to work right now (extreme heat here is a good example of this), there might be some contract issues, some penalties, but not a violation of trust. Hell, if they did the opposite and someone got hurt, THAT would be a violation since I trusted them to be professionals and 'at all costs' idiots.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Many people have rejoiced in Simone Biles ability to win medals and competitions using her, to me, almost super-human athleticism and mental focus. Is it too much to accept, however disappointing, that perhaps she is the person best-placed to evaluate her options?

ETA conclusively ninja’d by neeneko.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

somerset wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:56 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Also its fucking brave to withdraw when the easier option would have been to continue. It's a victory for Gymnastics and Mental Health.

And she owes us fuck all.
Gotta disagree. She chose to represent the United States at the Olympic Games. She's been entrusted by her team and her country to be the anchor of the team. If you don't owe the people who trust you something, what good is trust?
What she owes them is to do her best.

When she saw how she was performing and realized that she was not at the top of her game, she reevaluated her options and chose the best alternative for both her and her team. She realized that she was at real risk of substantial injury to herself. How would that be good for her team? If she dropped out, uninjured, today, she could possibly be a future asset to the team.

Biles did what a good athlete should do. Good for her!
somerset

Post by somerset »

Good perspectives, everyone. Thanks!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Rev. Ted Lasso
@tcburkejr
People are madder at Simone Biles than they ever were at Larry Nassar
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I have only one question for all those people who feel that Simone is a quitter, and should have continued the other night. What would your reaction have been if she did poorly on the remaining exercises and caused her team to lose out on medalling at all? I can almost guarantee that there would be even greater anger and disparagement, claiming that “she should have known better than to compete and ruin her team’s chances”.

After all her years of training, she undoubtedly knows her body, ability, and limitations better than anyone. I completely trust her decision to not attempt something which she felt she wasn’t capable of doing at that moment, and agree that it was a very courageous choice, knowing that she would receive much criticism.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I only have this
Attachments
biles.jpg
biles.jpg (189.84 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sunrise wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm I have only one question for all those people who feel that Simone is a quitter, and should have continued the other night. What would your reaction have been if she did poorly on the remaining exercises and caused her team to lose out on medalling at all? I can almost guarantee that there would be even greater anger and disparagement, claiming that “she should have known better than to compete and ruin her team’s chances”.

After all her years of training, she undoubtedly knows her body, ability, and limitations better than anyone. I completely trust her decision to not attempt something which she felt she wasn’t capable of doing at that moment, and agree that it was a very courageous choice, knowing that she would receive much criticism.
That's how I see it. Excellent post, Sunrise. Ol' Wifehorn agrees 100%.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

In the meantime, the Murdoch media has its pulse on the real issues.

Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I agree Sunrise!!!!!!! I challenge whoever questions her decision to accomplish not even 1/2 of what she has accomplished and with such grace!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Elena Mukhina.
raison de arizona

Here's her statement from 2018, when she first acknowledged the abuse.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

So upthread I made a comment about the danger that Ms. Biles could've become a quadriplegic by soldiering on to please some people. That was just common sense. Then I saw this:

Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Kerri Strug understands:
raison de arizona

It's possible that this is satire from The Onion.
Conservatives Blast Simone Biles For Robbing Them Of Opportunity To Criticize Her Win

NEW YORK—Accusing her of being selfish and unfit to be a gold medal gymnast, conservatives blasted Simone Biles Wednesday for robbing them of the opportunity to criticize her win. “As of today, Ms. Biles has not only betrayed her country and her fans, but denied us the chance to pick apart every single word she would have said while celebrating a victory for team USA,” said Fox News anchor Tucker Carlson, adding that if she really was the Greatest of All Time, she’d have performed and given him plenty of ammunition to call her composure and facial expressions “smug,” “ungrateful,” and “cocky.” “What Simone Biles has done today is a slap in the face, not for just the United States, not just for gymnastics, but for me and all my colleagues, who had dozens of scathing segments attacking her skimpy uniform, her steely composure, and her recent forays into social justice. So, Simone, if you’re watching, I hope you and team USA are happy, because now America will never get to hear us call you a sore winner, and equate the gymnastic moves named after you with a tainted legacy.” At press time, Carlson played a clip of Kerri Strug vaulting with a broken ankle, and pointed out how she wasn’t afraid to be ripped apart for winning gold.
https://www.theonion.com/conservatives- ... 1847380497
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:10 pm It's possible that this is satire from The Onion.
:snippity:
No...The Onion helped be greatly to know how to properly invest my portfolio while I was in the jailhouse...

Observe...

I'll see myself out :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hawaii’s Carissa Moore wins gold in first-ever women’s surfing event at the Olympics
Hawaii’s Carissa Moore defeated South Africa’s Bianca Buitendag to win the gold medal in the first-ever women’s surfing event in the Summer Olympics on Tuesday in Tokyo.

The four-time world champion, who took control at the start and surfed fluidly throughout, found the rhythm of the sea as she has in so many winning waves around the world. The final heat featured cleaner conditions as a typhoon threatening the country moved away. It was a reward after battling through “perfect storm” conditions at Tsurigasaki Beach over the past two days.

The raging winds had backed off, and the water’s surface was “starting to shimmer a little,” in one announcer’s words, as Moore, 28, earned a succession of increasing scores: a 3.17, 3.4, then a 7.33 with a two-turn combo in a discerningly selected wave.

“She found that diamond in the rough,” the announcer said.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/07/ ... n-surfing/
She's part Hawaiian, which created surfing.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

CNN article about "the twisties"
When Simone Biles scratched most of the Olympic team final, she said it was not because of a physical injury, but her mental health. This doesn't mean she felt sad, or didn't have her heart in it to compete. It means that her psychological state put her at significant physical risk. If her brain wouldn't play along with what her body knows how to do, she could be seriously injured.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/simon ... index.html
Lani

Post by Lani »

Olympic Gymnastics Live: Sunisa Lee Wins All-Around Gold
TOKYO — For years, Sunisa Lee, a teenager from Minnesota who became the Olympic all-around gymnastics champion on Thursday night, wasn’t training just for herself.

As a Hmong American, she went to the gym every day for all the first-generation Americans who wanted to achieve success when their parents had come to the United States with nothing. And she trained through grueling practices and painful injuries, including an ankle injury in the months leading up to the Tokyo Games, for her father, John, who suffered a spinal cord injury in 2019 and now uses a wheelchair.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07/29 ... s-olympics
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Convenience store robber flees in vehicle. Officer told not to engage in high speed pursuit in suburban area, it would endanger lives.

He/she begins high speed pursuit anyway. Audiences cheer as news copter follows.

Police car misses a sharp turn, careening onto a crowded sidewalk, killing a bystander. Target escapes.

Public decries reckless police chase. They should never take a chance like that.

(something like that actually happened in KC many many years ago.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

Why is this posted in the Olympics topic?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle

Return to “General Stuff”