Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2021 Olympics - Japan. Or maybe not.

Lani

2021 Olympics - Japan. Or maybe not.

Post by Lani »

Tokyo (CNN) When 2020 Tokyo Olympics volunteers have in recent weeks asked officials how they'll be protected from Covid-19, given the foreign athletes pouring into Japan for the event and the country's low vaccination rate, the answer has been simple.

They'll be given a small bottle of hand sanitizer and two masks each.

"They don't talk about vaccines, they don't even talk about us being tested," said German volunteer Barbara Holthus, who is director of Sophia University's German Institute for Japanese Studies, in Tokyo.

With 100 days to go until the Games, already postponed a year due to the coronavirus pandemic, questions remain over how Tokyo can hold a massive sporting event and keep volunteers, athletes, officials -- and the Japanese public -- safe from Covid-19.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/13/spor ... index.html

The virus has entered its 4th wave in Japan. Spectators from abroad will be barred from the Tokyo Olympics, and 80% of those polled in Japan want the Olympics to be cancelled again.
Screenshot_2021-04-17 Japan COVID 525,218 Cases and 9,584 Deaths - Worldometer.png
Screenshot_2021-04-17 Japan COVID 525,218 Cases and 9,584 Deaths - Worldometer.png (42.98 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
Meanwhile, SIMONE BILES!
Simone Biles isn’t looking past the next four gymnastics meets and her competitive career perhaps culminating at the Tokyo Games, but those close to her are planting a different seed: a potential third Olympics in 2024.

Biles plans to compete four more times in 2021 — at the U.S. Classic in May, the U.S. Championships in early June, the Olympic Trials in late June and her second Olympics in July and August. After that, the 36-city Gold Over America Tour — fittingly spelling out GOAT.

Biles, 24, said earlier in this Olympic cycle that she planned to make the Tokyo Olympics her final competition. But in interviews in the last year and a half, she repeatedly left open the possibility of a comeback at some point in the next cycle.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/04/ ... -olympics/
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: 2021 Olympics - Japan. Or maybe not.

Post by Luke »

What a shame for Japan, they spent so much to get ready for this and now there are big outbreaks. Hearing from friends in Osaka it's really a problem there. Guess they can bubble the athletes, but all the money they expected to recoup for the new facilities and all look like they'll be a huge loss.
U.S. warns against travel to Japan as Olympics loom
Japan has experienced a surge in coronavirus cases.
By ASSOCIATED PRESS 05/25/2021 12:37 AM EDT

WASHINGTON — U.S. health officials and the State Department on Monday warned Americans against travel to Japan because of a surge in coronavirus cases in the country, which is preparing to host the Olympics in just two months. The twin alerts don’t ban U.S. citizens from visiting the country, but they could have an impact on insurance rates for travelers and may factor into decisions by Olympic athletes and spectators on whether to compete in or attend the games, which are due to start in July. There was no immediate indication as to what effect the warnings might have on would-be Olympic-goers.

“Travelers should avoid all travel to Japan,” the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new Covid-19 update. “Because of the current situation in Japan even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Japan.”

The State Department’s warning, which followed the CDC alert, was more blunt. “Do not travel to Japan due to Covid-19,” it said in the announcement, which raised the department’s travel alert from Level 3 — Reconsider travel — to Level 4 — Do not travel. The previous alert was issued on April 21.

The United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee said it still anticipates that American athletes will be able to safely compete at the Tokyo Games.
More: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/2 ... vid-490714
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I have been to Japan many times and have good friends there. They are all OK AFAIK. They think having the Olympics there is stupid.
Editor Korir

Post by Editor Korir »

scirreeve wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:56 am I have been to Japan many times and have good friends there. They are all OK AFAIK. They think having the Olympics there is stupid.
The NBA had a successful Bubble in July-Oct 2020, and that was pre-vaccine. Now granted, they had only 300 athletes, and another 200 or so support staff, and they had no fans attending the games, but there wasn’t a single positive COVID test, AFAIK. Having TeamUSA for basketball and gymnastics will bring the most broadcast revenue for NBC, and they can be kept in a Bubble. But as far as the other events, IDK, Does anybody watch Botswana vs Uruguay team handball matches :shrug:
Acting Ambassador to Red Sox Nation
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm watching the US Olympics qualifications. They plan to be in Japan.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Not watching the olympics this cycle. I'll be happy for the success stories, but the whole thing is a farce.

They should have abandoned it. Let Paris go ahead in 2024. Reassign Tokyo to 2028 and push LA to 2032 and Brisbane to 2036.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

TOKYO — Fans will be banned from Tokyo-area stadiums and arenas when the Olympics begin in two weeks, the city’s governor said Thursday after meeting with organizers of the pandemic-postponed games.

That means the Olympics will be a largely TV-only event, after the Japanese government put the capital under a COVID-19 state of emergency because of rising new infections and the highly contagious delta variant.

The declaration was made by Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, and the spectator ban was agreed to by Japanese Olympic organizers, the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, and the metropolitan government of Tokyo.
https://apnews.com/article/tokyo-lifest ... 3cbd0d907e
Lani

Post by Lani »

Olympians having problems.
Alex de Minaur is out of the Tokyo Olympics after the Australian tennis star tested positive to COVID-19.

The world No.17 tested positive just 72 hours before leaving Spain to travel to Tokyo, for what would have been his Olympic debut.

It is the Australian team’s first COVID-19 positive test ahead of the Games.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronav ... 2020210716
Australian basketball star Liz Cambage has withdrawn from the Tokyo Olympics, saying she had been having panic attacks at the thought of heading into a bubble for the Games.
:snippity:
“Every athlete competing in the Olympic Games should be at their mental and physical peak, and at the moment, I’m a long way from where I want and need to be,” she said.

“It’s no secret that in the past I’ve struggled with my mental health and recently, I’ve been really worried about heading into a ‘bubble’ Olympics.

“No family. No friends. No fans. No support system outside of my team. It’s honestly terrifying for me. The past month I have been hav ing panic attacks, not sleeping and eating.”
https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/basket ... 2020210716

I wonder how the US teams are feeling. :think:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Of the 26 cases that [Olympic] organizers have announced in July, only the one disclosed Thursday has been an athlete. The vast majority of the cases were reported among local contractors. The tally does not include positive cases that were reported outside of Japan, according to The Associated Press.
:snippity:
USA Basketball also announced Thursday that point guard Bradley Beal and forward Jerami Grant have been placed under the team's health and safety protocols, with Beal unable to play in this year's Games.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/olympic-at ... -positive/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this information, but I do find it amusing.
Edit:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

The Tongo flag bearer returns for his 3rd Olympics!
tongo.jpg
tongo.jpg (116.83 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Pita Taufatofua was Tongo's flag bearer for the 2016 Olympics (taekwondo) and the 2018 Winter Olympics (cross-country skiing).
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:notlistening:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

You forgot the :cantlook:

(But would that need four hands :confuzzled: )
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I just learned that there are almost 100 American Olympian athletes who didn’t get vaccinated before they flew to Japan. :shock: I’m truly stunned that there are so many. I’m also very surprised that they were allowed to go through Japanese customs without proof of being vaccinated, since I keep reading about all the precautions that officials are taking.

I just hope that these Games don’t become a super-spreader event. So many people have devoted years working on their skills so they can have such a fanstastic opportunity. The selfishness of those who are blasé about Covid is something I simply can’t wrap my head around.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Res Ipsa wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:12 pm
I see she hasn't mellowed with age ;)

Great to see you Res!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Tongo's flag bearer deserves a gold medal. :biggrin: Mrich has a gift for pointing out eye-catching athletic wear. :daydreaming:

Hi, res! :wave:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tokyo-olym ... -foil/#app
Lee Kiefer wins third fencing gold medal in U.S. history by defeating defending champion

Kiefer ripped off her mask after the final point and shouted "Oh my God!" She placed fifth at the 2012 London Games and was 10th at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

A four-time NCAA champion at Notre Dame, Kiefer is now a medical student at the University of Kentucky. Her husband, Gerek Meinhardt, won bronze with the U.S. team in foil at the 2016 Olympics.

"It's such an incredible feeling that I share with my coach, I share with my husband, with my family, just everyone that's been a part of this," she said, her gold medal hanging from her neck. "I wish I could chop it up in little pieces and distributed it to everyone I love."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I was interested today - not cuz of the competition but I saw a lot of places in Japan where I used to hang out. Triathlon, road bike racing, fencing etc.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm loving the skateboard competition. - except for so many competitors hitting the concrete. On tv now is the women's competition. The 2 leaders are 13 years old! :o Gawd I'm old....
Lani

Post by Lani »

Update. Gold medalist is 13, the youngest gold winner ever. The silver medalist is also 13, and bronze was won by a 16 year old.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Lani wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:41 am

Meanwhile, SIMONE BILES!
Simone Biles isn’t looking past the next four gymnastics meets and her competitive career perhaps culminating at the Tokyo Games, but those close to her are planting a different seed: a potential third Olympics in 2024.

Biles plans to compete four more times in 2021 — at the U.S. Classic in May, the U.S. Championships in early June, the Olympic Trials in late June and her second Olympics in July and August. After that, the 36-city Gold Over America Tour — fittingly spelling out GOAT.

Biles, 24, said earlier in this Olympic cycle that she planned to make the Tokyo Olympics her final competition. But in interviews in the last year and a half, she repeatedly left open the possibility of a comeback at some point in the next cycle.
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2021/04/ ... -olympics/
A GOAT no more... Greatest of all time don't quit and aren't afraid of losing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I disagree that SB pulled out because she stumbled.

She has been off for a couple weeks now.

I think she put too much pressure on herself and had a mini-breakdown.

She was also the last active survivor of the sexual assault and maybe she had some PTSD
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Liz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 pm A GOAT no more... Greatest of all time don't quit and aren't afraid of losing.
What a horrible thing to say.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Stuff”