Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:32 pm Allergic to meat?! Well, yes! Here is an interesting and hilarious Radio Lab podcast about meat allergy. (Not that a meat allergy is hilarious - the telling of it is)

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... /alpha-gal

Secret: Alpha Gal!
That was awesome! Thx!

Love that show when I happen to be lucky enough to have the radio on.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I subscribe to it in my podcast app.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Hm. This just reminded me that I don't listen to NPR anymore (but I still have a monthly sustaining donation to the local PBS/NPR duo). I think it's because I don't drive nearly as much as I used to(even pre-COVID), which is when I would listen. I don't even have a radio inside my home, but I think I can just pull it from the internet. I used to love Car Talk and Wad'Ya Know on Saturday mornings.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:27 am Hm. This just reminded me that I don't listen to NPR anymore (but I still have a monthly sustaining donation to the local PBS/NPR duo). I think it's because I don't drive nearly as much as I used to(even pre-COVID), which is when I would listen. I don't even have a radio inside my home, but I think I can just pull it from the internet. I used to love Car Talk and Wad'Ya Know on Saturday mornings.
My Sundays revolve around my NPR podcasts, including RadioLab, Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, and more with a little Face The Nation thrown in if they dont have idiots on. All on my little cell phone app from Spotify (the free one).

Sugar, the burnt cheese thing is something I never divulged to anyone. I had a beautiful cast aluminum comal when living south of the border. Lovingly seasoned and never did a drop of soap or a scratch pad touch it. A light brush with oil, a handful of almost any kind of cheese and wait. Crisped on one side and flipped to crisp the other and it was a treat to beat all. I like cheese done like that left in disc form, or rolled up like a bread stick.

I will probably die of a heart attack or end up in prison as Estivio has suggested.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

What's common around here that no one else knows about or eats anywhere else is chipped ham. It originated in southeast Ohio, but hit it big in southwestern PA. It's very, very finely chipped ham. It's eaten as lunch meat with whatever, usually mustard, and made into barbecue. I go in and out with it. Right now I am in. Isaly's was a local deli and ice cream chain, and they were THE place to get it when I was growing up, but local grocery chains carried if after they went out of business.

We had a friend in Michigan who had grown up in southeast Ohio, and he loved it. I would take a couple pounds with me whenever we went up to visit. I made his week!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:57 am What's common around here that no one else knows about or eats anywhere else is chipped ham. It originated in southeast Ohio, but hit it big in southwestern PA. It's very, very finely chipped ham. It's eaten as lunch meat with whatever, usually mustard, and made into barbecue. I go in and out with it. Right now I am in. Isaly's was a local deli and ice cream chain, and they were THE place to get it when I was growing up, but local grocery chains carried if after they went out of business.

We had a friend in Michigan who had grown up in southeast Ohio, and he loved it. I would take a couple pounds with me whenever we went up to visit. I made his week!
YES! Chipped ham, fried up a bit in a pan with some BBQ sauce. :lovestruck: :faint: (Cleveland)
filly

Post by filly »

Cherry barbecue sauce!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

PB and Mayo was my dads favorite weird sandwich too. :sick: I never learned to love it.

Mmmm comfort food:

Braunsweiger Butter and mustard on sourdough
Graham crackers dipped in milk
Fried cheese

Huh, I’m not so weird after all. :biggrin:
PG, ima try your feta in spinach. Do you heat the drizzle or just mix it up? Also too you remind me to make marinated carrots. Merci.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Gosh, you people are weird -- I may have to reconsider my association with any of you.

I mentioned this pre-crash of 2021.

Pierogi

It's a filled dumpling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

(Yes, I'm part Polish -- let the mocking commence)
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Pierogies are awesome!
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Estiveo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:15 pm Pierogies are awesome!
Totally!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

Estiveo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:15 pm Pierogies are awesome!
It depends on who makes them. Poorly made pierogi, especially filled with mashed potatoes are like eating lead. A skilled dough maker is a must. I really only like the ones filled with sauerkraut.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:51 pm I really only like the ones filled with sauerkraut.
And we have WINNER! :clap:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:38 am
neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:27 am Hm. This just reminded me that I don't listen to NPR anymore (but I still have a monthly sustaining donation to the local PBS/NPR duo). I think it's because I don't drive nearly as much as I used to(even pre-COVID), which is when I would listen. I don't even have a radio inside my home, but I think I can just pull it from the internet. I used to love Car Talk and Wad'Ya Know on Saturday mornings.
My Sundays revolve around my NPR podcasts, including RadioLab, Wait Wait Dont Tell Me, and more with a little Face The Nation thrown in if they dont have idiots on. All on my little cell phone app from Spotify (the free one).

Sugar, the burnt cheese thing is something I never divulged to anyone. I had a beautiful cast aluminum comal when living south of the border. Lovingly seasoned and never did a drop of soap or a scratch pad touch it. A light brush with oil, a handful of almost any kind of cheese and wait. Crisped on one side and flipped to crisp the other and it was a treat to beat all. I like cheese done like that left in disc form, or rolled up like a bread stick.

I will probably die of a heart attack or end up in prison as Estivio has suggested.
I didn't want to admit that sometimes I forgo the bread base and just pile up a handful of cheese in the skillet and fry it. I use a cast iron skillet though, and the edges get really, really crisp. A shake (or two) of salt and I'm in heaven. I use whatever cheese I have too. Mozz and cheddar are my favorites.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:55 pm

(Yes, I'm part Polish -- let the mocking commence)
No mocking, this is a serious question--do you speak Polish?

Some of the world's finest Arabian horses came to the United States via Poland, and there is a whole incredible history of how they got here. They, along with the Spanish Riding School's Lipizzaners, were walked across Europe during World War II.

Although this book is mostly about the Lipizzaners, it also includes the story of the Polish Arabians.

https://www.cpp.edu/agri/news/2017-the- ... y%20Pomona.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: The things I learn here…

Azastan, CalPoly Pomona is just a few miles from where I live. I had no.idea.

Kellogg Hill is the dividing line between the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys. CalPoly is a beautiful campus. It’s a working farm - There are cows, sheep and goats hanging around in the fields and a weekly farmers market. I’ll go with new eyes now.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

green seedless grapes with vanilla yogurt

triscuit, li'l slice of swiss cheese, Get Me A Switch Spicy Pepper Relish (or Cape Fear flavor, both excellent)

Yes, this is a product endorsement. The lady who makes this delivers to my front porch. Her relishes and pepper sauce are AWESOME. Met her at the State Fair a few years back.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Azastan wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:14 pm
No mocking, this is a serious question--do you speak Polish?
No, I don't speak Polish. Nor Italian. Nor Russian. But it's all in there (I'm a mutt of immigrants). :bag:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:06 pm
filly wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:51 pm I really only like the ones filled with sauerkraut.
I agree with pierogis being great comfort food, and agree with the need for a good pasta, but disagree about smashed tater filling. That's my absolute favorite.
Attachments
20180804_122933_perogis.jpg
20180804_122933_perogis.jpg (307.75 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am
I agree with pierogis being great comfort food, and agree with the need for a good pasta, but disagree about smashed tater filling. That's my absolute favorite.
Oh, come on now, the kraut offsets/complements the dumpling's flavor. Taters just make it more mush. :whistle:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:21 am
bill_g wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am
Oh, come on now, the kraut offsets the dumpling's flavor. Taters just make it more mush. :whistle:
I dress my taters up. Plus I'm not a fan of kraut. Greek and all that. We like our food fresh, not partially spoiled. :whistle:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kate520 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:45 pm :bighug: The things I learn here…

Azastan, CalPoly Pomona is just a few miles from where I live. I had no.idea.

Kellogg Hill is the dividing line between the Pomona and San Gabriel Valleys. CalPoly is a beautiful campus. It’s a working farm - There are cows, sheep and goats hanging around in the fields and a weekly farmers market. I’ll go with new eyes now.
Glad you threw the weekly farmers market in there, so that I'm not too off topic! There are still Arabians there, too--it was a stipulation that they be maintained. Last year Cal Poly Pomona registered 5 purebred Arabian foals. This is the address given:

CAL POLY POMONA
ARAB HORSE CENTER, 3801 WEST TEMPLE AVE BLDG 29
POMONA, CA 91768

:lovestruck:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:24 am I dress my taters up. Plus I'm not a fan of kraut. Greek and all that. We like our food fresh, not partially spoiled. :whistle:
Vinegar is your friend in the kitchen (works good in the laundry, too).
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:35 am
bill_g wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:24 am I dress my taters up. Plus I'm not a fan of kraut. Greek and all that. We like our food fresh, not partially spoiled. :whistle:
And after a hurricane when the black mold shows up.

Bleach doesn't kill black mold, it just makes it retreat and grow back stronger. Vinegar actually kills it.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 am
neonzx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:35 am
And after a hurricane when the black mold shows up.

Bleach doesn't kill black mold, it just makes it retreat and grow back stronger. Vinegar actually kills it.
Yes, and Amen. I have no Mayo, but I have plenty of vinegar. :lol:

Return to “General Stuff”