Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

No yum.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

filly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:11 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm
filly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:47 pm Guess what I just saw in the condiments section of the grocery store?

16 oz bottles of Chic Fil A dipping sauces!
:sick:
I saw that at the Kroger just yesterday. I didn’t even know they made such a thing.

Chic Fil A is one of those things I’ve never understood. We had one around the corner in Reston, and even before covid the line at the drive-thru was always super long.

I haven’t eaten there since the late 1990s because an acquaintance who worked there got fired when they discovered she was gay. When they had the big boycott in 2012 over Chic Fil A’s funding of anti-LGBQT organizations I was feeling pretty smug.
My son and his high school friends concluded they must put cocaine in the food!

I didn’t patronize them ever because I think the food sucks so the gay hate boycott was a no brainer for our household!
People are lazy and ignorant. It's made with just mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, mustard and honey!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I tried that Impossible brand fake meat today, a premade "burger" patty, on a bun with pickles onion tomato lettuce mayo mustard.

It wasn't horrible. It looked like meat. The texture was off a bit, and didn't really taste like meat. Mostly I tasted pickles onion tomato lettuce mayo mustard.

The best description I can think of is it's sorta like a flat, way under seasoned, falafel.

I'll stick to real meat.🐂 🐖 🐑 🐓 🦃
Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:25 pm I tried that Impossible brand fake meat today, a premade "burger" patty, on a bun with pickles onion tomato lettuce mayo mustard.

It wasn't horrible. It looked like meat. The texture was off a bit, and didn't really taste like meat. Mostly I tasted pickles onion tomato lettuce mayo mustard.

The best description I can think of is it's sorta like a flat, way under seasoned, falafel.

Mayo should not exist anywhere. That is all. :fingerwag:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Mayo is your friend. How else ya gonna make tuna salad or egg salad or make a turkey sammich moist & flavorful or eat pommes frîtes Belgian style or eat artichokes or mix it with sriracha or wasabi or Mongolian fire oil to make tasty aiolis...mmmm, mayo.
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:03 pm Mayo is your friend. How else ya gonna make tuna salad or egg salad or make a turkey sammich moist & flavorful or eat pommes frîtes Belgian style or eat artichokes or mix it with sriracha or wasabi or Mongolian fire oil to make tasty aiolis...mmmm, mayo.
And pear salad! You forgot pear salad!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:25 pm I tried that Impossible brand fake meat today, a premade "burger" patty, on a bun with pickles onion tomato lettuce mayo mustard.

It’s been a long time since I ate real beef (I’m allergic). I ate a “Beyond Meat” burger a couple of years ago and it was awful :sick: so I didn’t want to try an Impossible burger. Then we were on a road trip and we stopped at Burger King and I thought, what the heck. It tasted enough like a regular burger that it’s in the rotation - I have one every couple of weeks. They’re not great, but they’re not horrible, and I am getting *really sick* of chicken.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hey! What about salami sammiches on fresh San Francisco sour dough?!?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate520 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:50 pm Hey! What about salami sammiches on fresh San Francisco sour dough?!?
:drool:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:37 pmAnd pear salad! You forgot pear salad!
I didn't forget, I didn't even know such a horrible thing could ever be allowed to exist. (I loathe pears.)
Image Image Image Image
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Allergic to meat?! Well, yes! Here is an interesting and hilarious Radio Lab podcast about meat allergy. (Not that a meat allergy is hilarious - the telling of it is)

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... /alpha-gal

Secret: Alpha Gal!
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Pear salad? Is that canned pears with a peanut butter mayo dressing?
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Kate520 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:50 pm Hey! What about salami sammiches on fresh San Francisco sour dough?!?
That sounds about as unappealing to me as a pastrami and mayo sammich would be. Stern? Woodward? Do you agree?

OTOH, my dad’s specialty was fried salami and eggs, always served with ketchup on the side, and that was REALLY yummy. 😋
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, I prefer a hot mustard on a salami sammich, though mayo with a lot of wasabi might do in a pinch.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:03 pm Mayo is your friend. How else ya gonna make tuna salad or egg salad or make a turkey sammich moist & flavorful or eat pommes frîtes Belgian style or eat artichokes or mix it with sriracha or wasabi or Mongolian fire oil to make tasty aiolis...mmmm, mayo.
Mayo is nasty as all hell (and very unhealthy). You don't need it. You want to cream it? Use yogurt. And season it all to taste.

My little local deli here always asks if I want "mayo" on that is because down south, everyone slathers Mayo on sandmiches -- up north, that's a sin. And the owners are from the north.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yogurt has its uses, but it just doesn't have the same yummy, eggy, oily, emulsified goodness of mayo.
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:33 pm Pear salad? Is that canned pears with a peanut butter mayo dressing?
Canned pear half with a dollop of mayo and shredded sharp cheddar, on a lettuce leaf, topped with a cherry. I had it for supper last night.

https://domesticsuperhero.com/pear-sala ... n-classic/
filly

Post by filly »

neonzx wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:55 pm
Mayo is nasty as all hell (and very unhealthy). You don't need it. You want to cream it? Use yogurt. And season it all to taste.

My little local deli here always asks if I want "mayo" on that is because down south, everyone slathers Mayo on sandmiches -- up north, that's a sin. And the owners are from the north.
Where's "north?" Northern Florida?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

My go to is the Spicy Black Bean burger. I love those things, I could eat one every day. I also love falafel. I use packaged falafel mix, but I add itty bitty diced carrot and onion. And I put it in a pita bread with tabbouleh, hummus, and thick Greek yogurt (full fat of course).
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:32 pm Allergic to meat?! Well, yes! Here is an interesting and hilarious Radio Lab podcast about meat allergy. (Not that a meat allergy is hilarious - the telling of it is)

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... /alpha-gal

Secret: Alpha Gal!
Thanks PG! That was really funny! Of course, I had heard of Dr. Platts-Mills, and that Australian scientist (whose name I cannot recall), because I’ve read pretty much everything that’s ever been written about alpha gal. But I had never heard them talk, and they were really funny!

It took me several years having allergic reactions (and two trips to the emergency room) before I was ever diagnosed with alpha gal. And like the woman in the radio story, the first allergist I went to told me people in their 50s don’t develop food allergies. Then we had a guy come to do some work at our cabin, And I asked him if he wanted a cup of coffee, and I asked him if he wanted cream and he said, “oh no! That would kill me!” And then he went into this really long thing about how he started getting these allergic reactions and he didn’t know what was causing them. And I was like, back up, start from the beginning, and tell me everything that happened to you. And then I got the name of his allergist and I went to that guy.

As a frame of reference, the woman in the story said that when she had her blood tested her doctor told her the number was a little high, that it should be around 1 and her number was 3. My allergist told me anything over 0.37 is positive, and my number was 59. I had been having allergic reactions for over two years at that point. I have no idea what it is now. He said it could go down overtime as long as I don’t eat any more red meat, and as long as I don’t get bit by another tick (I’ve pulled a few off of me since then). He said the safer thing to do is to treat it as a permanent condition, which is what I’m doing. Cutting red meat out of my diet isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened to me. I do miss milk, cheese, and butter though.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Weird things I eat:

Onion & Mayo Sandwiches

Peanut Butter & Mayo Sandwiches

Grilled Cheese & Pickle Sandwiches

Feta Cheese rolled up in Giant Spinach Leaves with real Balsamic Vinegar/Grape Jelly Drizzle

Anything pickled

Liverwurst plain

*I eat decent food, healthy food as well. But those are my weird craving go-to snacks.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My father liked peanut butter and mayo sandwiches.

He did time in prison and died homeless.

I'm positive these facts are related.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:14 am Where's "north?" Northern Florida?
"North" means places that see snow. In this case, Jersey.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210523_070332.jpg
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:25 am Weird things I eat:

Onion & Mayo Sandwiches

Peanut Butter & Mayo Sandwiches

Grilled Cheese & Pickle Sandwiches

Feta Cheese rolled up in Giant Spinach Leaves with real Balsamic Vinegar/Grape Jelly Drizzle

Anything pickled

Liverwurst plain

*I eat decent food, healthy food as well. But those are my weird craving go-to snacks.
Mine are:

mustard and cheese sandwiches

Burned cheese things (tortilla, naan, english muffin, etc, with a pile of shredded cheese on top, then flipped over and
cooked until the cheese burns)

vienna sausage and green olives

cheap ham, honeydew and cream cheese

spam sandwiches (white bread, cream of mushroom soup, sliced cheese flavored food product, broiled until the cheese browns)

corn chowder and dill pickles

Return to “General Stuff”