Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Well, here's a Potato Salad with raisins that Neonzx may even consider. It has no mayo (good for summer outdoor eating as olive oil does not go bad quickly).

Oliver il potato salad with raisins, lemon, and dill.
https://familyspice.com/olive-oil-potat ... -and-dill/

I have never made it, and I'm not sure if I would like it or not. I never considered dill and raisins together, as far as I can remember.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:35 pm Well, here's a Potato Salad with raisins that Neonzx may even consider. It has no mayo (good for summer outdoor eating as olive oil does not go bad quickly).

Oliver il potato salad with raisins, lemon, and dill.
https://familyspice.com/olive-oil-potat ... -and-dill/

I have never made it, and I'm not sure if I would like it or not. I never considered dill and raisins together, as far as I can remember.
Okay, I'm gonna admit something here. Potato salad is one of my guilty pleasures (even with the mayo :shock: ) and has been since I was a wee-little sprout. (but not macaroni salad :fingerwag: )

I'm not sure about the raisins, though. If I want a sugar-loaded bowl of cereal or a dessert (which I never eat), I might have them. Just give me the potatoes and the seasoned dressing.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I think I am one of three people that I know that cannot stand potato salad of any kind. Or pasta salad. The potatoes have a weird texture when cold. Even a warm or hot potato salad tastes strange to me (and has a weird texture). Cold pasta salads are just slimy to me. :sick:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

jez wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 pm I think I am one of three people that I know that cannot stand potato salad of any kind. Or pasta salad. The potatoes have a weird texture when cold. Even a warm or hot potato salad tastes strange to me (and has a weird texture). Cold pasta salads are just slimy to me. :sick:
My kids hate potato and mac salad. They do like - in small quantities - warm German Potato Salad. I could eat it everyday!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mac salad is a staple at most 808 restaurants and stands around here each with their own spin on the recipe. I'm a fan.

Same on tater salad. So many ways to make it, though not all interpretations are edible. Never had raisins, taters, and mayo in the same bowl before, but my tastebuds say it could work.

The biggest mistake people make working with raisins is not soaking them first. Plain old water is okay. Warm water is faster. Sugar water takes the flavor in one direction. Salt water another. Lemonade is good. White wine kickstarts their natural flavor. Reds crank it to eleven and breaks the knob off. At Christmas, rum soaking is a must. Should be a law really.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I like potato salad, but with red potatoes, wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, basil, parsley, and green peas. Or some other green vegetable.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Lani wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:01 am I like potato salad, but with red potatoes, wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, basil, parsley, and green peas. Or some other green vegetable.
Well, since I never do moderation well with potato or macaroni salad well, I don't have it very often. It is probably not all that healthy in larger quantities. Instead, I reduce the ingredients down to a single green vegetable, celery.

This whole discussion of potato and macaroni salad gives me a real big craving.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Peas in mac salad is a common various here.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

About time. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

About time. ;)
It’s time to have 10 buns for 10 weiners, says Heinz.

The condiment company has launched the Heinz Hot Dog Pact, a petition to finally get “big bun” and “big wiener” companies to find a solution to the packaging mismatch “once and for all.”
Or just buy 8-pack hot dogs (bigger than the skimpy dogs in the 10-packs)... :shrug:

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I dug ~25 onions a couple weeks ago. I plant them in a raised bed with about 20% compost, 50% potting mix, and 30% soil. This keeps the S content low and lets the sugar in the bulbs play a more prominent role. I started the Walla Walla and Early Red Burger onions from seed in early September.

I made a loaf of dark rye bread and we enjoyed an onion sandwich that included a healthy slice of Swiss cheese adorned only with yellow mustard. No mayo.

(Did you know that to get the dark color for dark rye bread cocoa powder is added to the dough mixture? The dough smells like chocolate cake batter while rising, but there is absolutely no hint of chocolate after baking.)

Then, last night I picked my first tomato of the season (Pink Brandywine), and we enjoyed bacon, avocado, and tomato sandwiches (this time with mayonnaise) on said rye bread.

Hot summer weather = cooler dinner time meals.

Next month when my grapes are ripe we frequently consume fresh grapes, assorted cheeses, and homemade baguettes. No muss and no fuss.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I don't do restaurant suggestions often, but if you find yourselves in the western Chicago burbs, I can recommend Hemmingway's Bistro in Oak Park. Their red snapper (a special of the day as apparently the chef picks up good fish on a daily basis) was wonderful.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As to the mis-matched hot dogs and buns (which does bug me), I buy Hebrew National hot dogs at Costco. They come seven to a package. Buy the same thing in the grocery store, and there are eight. :?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 pm As to the mis-matched hot dogs and buns (which does bug me), I buy Hebrew National hot dogs at Costco. They come seven to a package. Buy the same thing in the grocery store, and there are eight. :?
It's probably a prime number thing, and not something you want to delve into lightly. In fact, I'm sorry I said anything. This message will self delete in 3... 2... 1...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:56 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 pm As to the mis-matched hot dogs and buns (which does bug me), I buy Hebrew National hot dogs at Costco. They come seven to a package. Buy the same thing in the grocery store, and there are eight. :?
It's probably a prime number thing, and not something you want to delve into lightly. In fact, I'm sorry I said anything. This message will self delete in 3... 2... 1...
:faint:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

It's probably just a marketing gimmick. People tend to look at the price, not the package size. I remember around 2008, the tuna industry got devious and shrank the standard can size from 6oz to 5oz without comment. Pissed me off because that mucked up recipes.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am
It's probably just a marketing gimmick. People tend to look at the price, not the package size. I remember around 2008, the tuna industry got devious and shrank the standard can size from 6oz to 5oz without comment. Pissed me off because that mucked up recipes.
How about the increased dimples in the bottom of jars so that the cylindrical size appeared the same, but the volume decreased?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:41 am
neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am It's probably just a marketing gimmick. People tend to look at the price, not the package size. I remember around 2008, the tuna industry got devious and shrank the standard can size from 6oz to 5oz without comment. Pissed me off because that mucked up recipes.
How about the increased dimples in the bottom of jars so that the cylindrical size appeared the same, but the volume decreased?
Hm. Never noticed. I just thought the shape of the bottoms were something related to the canning process (heating then cooling).

How about Frito-lay chips. The regular size is 9.5oz, but next to it is the visibly 50% bigger FAMILY SIZE bag (all of 11oz). The extra family members get to share 1.5 oz of chips. :lol:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:12 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:41 am
neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am It's probably just a marketing gimmick. People tend to look at the price, not the package size. I remember around 2008, the tuna industry got devious and shrank the standard can size from 6oz to 5oz without comment. Pissed me off because that mucked up recipes.
Hm. Never noticed. I just thought the shape of the bottoms were something related to the canning process (heating then cooling).

How about Frito-lay chips. The regular size is 9.5oz, but next to it is the visibly 50% bigger FAMILY SIZE bag (all of 11oz). The extra family members get to share 1.5 oz of chips. :lol:
Oh yeah. I first noticed it with products purchased at Walmart. I don't shop there, but Mrs is all about saving of the pennies. She would crow about the deals they had versus Safeway and Fred Meyers. Then I pointed out there was less net weight / volume in a similar sized package making the actual price per unit was about the same. Occasionally it was more, though the package price was less.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This has been happening for a long time. I noticed the tuna cans and lots of other things changing over the years. I buy a sausage that used to come in 16 ounces. It's been 13 ounces for years. I used to feed four of us. Luckily, there aren't four of us anymore.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You'll notice the same difference between Sam's Club and Costco. My sweetie used to buy BabyBel cheeses. You could find packages of those at both Sam's Club and at Costco. The ones at Costco contained more cheeses. But how many people do per unit comparisons?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:48 pm Oh yeah. I first noticed it with products purchased at Walmart. I don't shop there, but Mrs is all about saving of the pennies. She would crow about the deals they had versus Safeway and Fred Meyers. Then I pointed out there was less net weight / volume in a similar sized package making the actual price per unit was about the same. Occasionally it was more, though the package price was less.
I have to give a bit of credit -- and I don't know if this was mandated by gov or driven by consumer demand. Most larger grocery outlets (including Walmart) put the price/unit of weight or measure on the shelf sticker.

Anyway, they got us going or coming. Once we are in a store, we're going to pick up the deals we came for -- PLUS everything else we need because we don't want to spend half a day driving around town.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 pm You'll notice the same difference between Sam's Club and Costco. My sweetie used to buy BabyBel cheeses. You could find packages of those at both Sam's Club and at Costco. The ones at Costco contained more cheeses. But how many people do per unit comparisons?
:callonme:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 pm You'll notice the same difference between Sam's Club and Costco. My sweetie used to buy BabyBel cheeses. You could find packages of those at both Sam's Club and at Costco. The ones at Costco contained more cheeses. But how many people do per unit comparisons?
+1

I once purchased prime rib for breakfast to make the point to the boys that breakfast cereal ain't cheap.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I love me my Costco (even if the annual membership is a bit more than other warehouse clubs). Good company.

Return to “General Stuff”