Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by bill_g »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:29 am
Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm I recently rediscovered the joy of a good grilled cheese sammich. And I tells you now that the best bread for it is Orowheat Italian bread.

I made one today with pepper jack cheese, deli ham, hot cappicola, and thinly sliced Roma tomatoes at the center so they're just barely warm.
If you left it open face, it would have been called a bruschetta.

My fav g cheese is one slice of aged swiss (where the salt has started to form on the rind) and a slice of real Kraft American (not the proc food product) on cracked wheat, butter fried both sides, but not smashed. *DO NOT* smash my grilled cheese please. Thank you.
Butter fried & non-smashed are the only way to go.
There *was* (past tense) a food cart in downtown Portland that made fried sammiches including the classic grilled cheese on Wonder Bread, and they *insisted* on putting the heavy flat plate on every sandwich. Ugh. Flavor was good, but if I had wanted a quesadilla, I woulda asked for that.

They made a grilled PB and banana that should be classified a controlled substance. It's crack on bread. Totally satisfying when you need it. A complete blues breaker.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm I recently rediscovered the joy of a good grilled cheese sammich. And I tells you now that the best bread for it is Orowheat Italian bread.

I made one today with pepper jack cheese, deli ham, hot cappicola, and thinly sliced Roma tomatoes at the center so they're just barely warm.

My fav g cheese is one slice of aged swiss (where the salt has started to form on the rind) and a slice of real Kraft American (not the proc food product) on cracked wheat, butter fried both sides, but not smashed. *DO NOT* smash my grilled cheese please. Thank you.
Real Kraft American? You speak in oxymoron. Find a good small producer who cares to make more than a cookie cutter cheese. FWIW, I'm originally from Wisconsin and I prefer Wisconsin cheese. I make one exception to this rule. Tillamook. I grab a Tillamook whenever I see some at the grocery store. I have the wife converted too, also.
Il factotum
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 am

Real Kraft American? You speak in oxymoron. Find a good small producer who cares to make more than a cookie cutter cheese. FWIW, I'm originally from Wisconsin and I prefer Wisconsin cheese. I make one exception to this rule. Tillamook. I grab a Tillamook whenever I see some at the grocery store. I have the wife converted too, also.
Now see? This is where food turns into religion. Kraft invented American Cheese, and they still make it. Delicious stuff. But, they also invented orange colored grease called processed cheese food with the word food being an obscene mischaracterization. These two things should not be confused, or considered analogous.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:58 am

They made a grilled PB and banana that should be classified a controlled substance. It's crack on bread. Totally satisfying when you need it. A complete blues breaker.
The Elvis. Also commonly made with bacon.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:35 am
zekeb wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 am

Now see? This is where food turns into religion. Kraft invented American Cheese, and they still make it. Delicious stuff. But, they also invented orange colored grease called processed cheese food with the word food being an obscene mischaracterization. These two things should not be confused, or considered analogous.
Schullsburg. If you want real American cheese, buy Schullsburg. Oh wait, it's made in Wisconsin and I never saw it in a store when I lived in the PNW. My brother once worked for one of those fake cheese places. He told me they mixed a bunch of mystery oils and chemicals and out came "cheese." They shipped that stuff to Kraft.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Perogies! Yum!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:27 pmPerogies! Yum!
Pierogi.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

filly wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm
Pierogi.
Yes!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I rarely buy the processed "American" cheese, but I do have a fondness for the Kraft Macaroni and Processed Cheese-like product. Still, I rarely have it likely due to the fact that living single, you ended up eating too much and not having a balanced meal. I suppose I could toss in some broccoli.
101010 :towel:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Where's the potato pancakes... :daydreaming:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am
Had some at a German restaurant on Friday (seated outside).
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am I rarely buy the processed "American" cheese, but I do have a fondness for the Kraft Macaroni and Processed Cheese-like product. Still, I rarely have it likely due to the fact that living single, you ended up eating too much and not having a balanced meal. I suppose I could toss in some broccoli.
Broccolli in Mac-n-Cheese is punishment, not food. Add some cream and cheese, serve peas on the side, pour some wine, you're good.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Indeed. Where are they?!?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:57 am
Indeed. Where are they?!?
Well, they were at Hofbrahaus.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m allergic to cheese these days. I really, really missed grilled cheese until I discovered a vegan cheese recipe from itdoesnttastelikechicken.com. I make the “cheese” and instead of cooking it to firm it up, I pour the liquid into ice cube trays and freeze it. Two cheese cubes thawed and heated in the microwave is yields a perfect fondue-consistency which I then spread on bread and brown lightly on the griddle. The cheese is bland enough that you can flavor it with just about anything. Fresh garlic is my favorite. Yummy!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 am I rarely buy the processed "American" cheese, but I do have a fondness for the Kraft Macaroni and Processed Cheese-like product. Still, I rarely have it likely due to the fact that living single, you ended up eating too much and not having a balanced meal. I suppose I could toss in some broccoli.
Broccolli in Mac-n-Cheese is punishment, not food. Add some cream and cheese, serve peas on the side, pour some wine, you're good.
Bacon. Bacon works. Mac & Cheese con Bacon. Mmmmmm. Someone upthread said Mac & Cheese wasn't a balanced diet?
Il factotum
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Panera now has a broccoli mac and cheese. Now I can go between that and broccoli cheese soup. I may have a fondness for broccoli.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm
Panera now has a broccoli mac and cheese. Now I can go between that and broccoli cheese soup. I may have a fondness for broccoli.
Well done. Point taken. Broc cheese soup can be good. I've made it myself with a beer base for the liquid. You get the beer flat with a quick heat on the stove. Make your bechamel sauce thick, cheese it up, add beer, toss in thawed frozen broc (they blanche it before they freeze it), or cook it fresh separately. Supposed to be soup, not fondue. So, be liberal with the beer. DO NOT boil. It will break.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Where’s the ketchup? US sees shortage as manufacturers rush to meet demand
Uptick in demand for ketchup packets during a pandemic boom in takeout dining has had an influence on the price of packets

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/a ... 1617726307
It’s an American tragedy that takes place in under a minute. You eagerly open the warm takeout bag in your hands, the smell of french fries wafting through its package. Everything seems to be there until you dig around the bottom of the bag. Nothing but napkins. Where’s the ketchup?

That experience has apparently become more common for Americans as the country experiences a ketchup shortage and manufacturers race to catch up to increasing demand for single-use ketchup packets during a pandemic boom in takeout dining.
Mrs. V. and I order Marco's pizza bowls (no crusts) and a large salad about every 3 weeks. That's enough for four (per Marco's menu) and we get 2 meals out of it. Usually it comes with 4 plastic forks and packets of red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Last week our order came with 1 fork and no packets. Could just be a careless order packer.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

So, sorta / kinda on the vegan thing for a week and a half.

I say sorta kinda because we have some stuff in the freezer I've been eating up on the weekend.

But other than that, no complaints.

We got a meal subscription for 10 meals a week.

Some of its been downright tasty.

One meal from the other day was a clunker.

There were some sautéed greens that were rather bitter and ruined half the dish.

https://purplesprout.com
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

They messed up the date. This is next week's menue
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm So, sorta / kinda on the vegan thing for a week and a half.

I say sorta kinda because we have some stuff in the freezer I've been eating up on the weekend.

There were some sautéed greens that were rather bitter and ruined half the dish.

I know this the the no recipes thread, but I highly recommend the website https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com. I’m not vegan, but I do have dangerous food allergies (dairy and mammalian meat). I founds some really delicious recipes that won’t kill me quickly (some might kill me slowly because of the sugar involved, so I tread carefully). The stuff I have tried has been really, really good, so I imagine the rest of it is good as well.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Alpha gal?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm
Chilidog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm So, sorta / kinda on the vegan thing for a week and a half.

I know this the the no recipes thread, but I highly recommend the website https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com. I’m not vegan, but I do have dangerous food allergies (dairy and mammalian meat). I founds some really delicious recipes that won’t kill me quickly (some might kill me slowly because of the sugar involved, so I tread carefully). The stuff I have tried has been really, really good, so I imagine the rest of it is good as well.
Link didn't work for me.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:01 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Link didn't work for me.
Try it again.

Return to “General Stuff”