Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

sugar magnolia

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 pm I love shrimp the most, but also like lobster and crab. I haven't eaten oyster or clams for years, mainly because they aren't popular here. I had a very severe reaction to mussels decades ago and haven't touched one since.

TBH, I buy shrimp, lobster & crab, but I get products that have already been cleaned up. I hate stripping the shrimp and cracking lobster & crab shells. UGH. GROSS. I also avoid passing by a meat counter that has pig heads. :bag:
Can't believe I left oysters off my list! I can spend hours in the bar when they have the 25 cent oyster specials!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

When we stayed on Mt. Desert Island, we stayed on the quiet side, and there was a lobster pound about a mile from our house. We would have eaten there every night if we hadn't had a non-seafood eater with us. We left her home two nights, and went to Thurston's. Two nice-sized lobsters, corn on the cob, cole slaw, roll, and drink, total about $50!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

My first trip to Ogunquit, ME was a three day weekend. We arrived in time for lunch and headed straight for Perkin’s Cove, where I enjoyed the first of several lobster meals. I had lobster for dinner that night, lunch and dinner the next day, and again for lunch on the final day. I considered having lobster for breakfast as well, but opted for wild blueberry pancakes instead, both mornings. My, that was good eatin’!!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Now I'm hungry. Heading out soon to get some fresh sushi.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I cannot believe that discussion was had without a single mention of scallops. Barbarians! :eek:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 am I cannot believe that discussion was had without a single mention of scallops. Barbarians! :eek:
Here ya go Foggy:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Now youy guys are making me hungry for paella.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sunrise wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:02 pm My first trip to Ogunquit, ME was a three day weekend. We arrived in time for lunch and headed straight for Perkin’s Cove, where I enjoyed the first of several lobster meals. I had lobster for dinner that night, lunch and dinner the next day, and again for lunch on the final day. I considered having lobster for breakfast as well, but opted for wild blueberry pancakes instead, both mornings. My, that was good eatin’!!!
We had a Fogbow meetup in Maine. There was lobster, from what I gather.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Gawd had a good day the day she invented scallops. :oldman:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I was gonna make shrimp fried rice last week, but they had some beautiful bay scallops in the fish case, so I made scallop fried rice instead.

It was transformative.
Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:02 am I cannot believe that discussion was had without a single mention of scallops. Barbarians! :eek:
Au contraire!
filly wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:30 pm
Maybenaut wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:59 pm

I don’t eat anything with an exoskeleton.
Allergies?

Because mollusks and shellfish are some of the great joys of my life. But I might have to take an antihistamine with lobster, which is very distressing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 am Now youy guys are making me hungry for paella.
Careful, last night we watched a crime drama where the murder weapon was poisoned paella. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:19 am
bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 am Now youy guys are making me hungry for paella.
Careful, last night we watched a crime drama where the murder weapon was poisoned paella. ;)
What a way to go though! Especially with a good Spanish red wine.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I know you all mean well, but some of us are allergic to shellfish, and are sad when surrounded by people discussing said items.

My husband had to sneak out and get himself lobster rolls when we visited Maine several years ago, because he didn't want me to feel bad that he was able to eat them, but I would have swelled up like the Michelin man if I had been tempted to follow suit :lol: .
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My daughter is allergic to scallops. But she's a vegetarian now, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I recently rediscovered the joy of a good grilled cheese sammich. And I tells you now that the best bread for it is Orowheat Italian bread.

I made one today with pepper jack cheese, deli ham, hot cappicola, and thinly sliced Roma tomatoes at the center so they're just barely warm.
Image Image Image Image
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I had scallops for dinner. Yum.

I can't believe I've driven past this hole-in-wall looking place and never bothered until the city featured it on their FB page.

https://www.nazesseafood.com/index.html

Australian style seafood. OMG. I'm so there.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:25 pm My daughter is allergic to scallops. But she's a vegetarian now, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
My son is allergic to shrimp, lobster, tuna and salmon. (He can eat crab, scallops and most other fish.) I feel sorry for him because he is missing some of the best things in life.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Kendra wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:40 pm Australian style seafood. OMG. I'm so there.
I didn't see Moreton Bay Bug on the menu. Bug is what I remember most fondly about Australian seafood.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm I recently rediscovered the joy of a good grilled cheese sammich. And I tells you now that the best bread for it is Orowheat Italian bread.

I made one today with pepper jack cheese, deli ham, hot cappicola, and thinly sliced Roma tomatoes at the center so they're just barely warm.
If you left it open face, it would have been called a bruschetta.

My fav g cheese is one slice of aged swiss (where the salt has started to form on the rind) and a slice of real Kraft American (not the proc food product) on cracked wheat, butter fried both sides, but not smashed. *DO NOT* smash my grilled cheese please. Thank you.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 pm I know you all mean well, but some of us are allergic to shellfish, and are sad when surrounded by people discussing said items.

My husband had to sneak out and get himself lobster rolls when we visited Maine several years ago, because he didn't want me to feel bad that he was able to eat them, but I would have swelled up like the Michelin man if I had been tempted to follow suit :lol: .
How about potatoe and white cheddar perogis with red onions, green peppers, and chopped tomatoe, sprinkled with fresh parsley and oregano, served with grilled tri-tip (medium rare) marinated in red wine, and green beans?

This picture is old, but it's what I made for dinner last night.
Attachments
20180804_122933_perogis.jpg
20180804_122933_perogis.jpg (307.75 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

That looks and sounds delicious, and does not have any of my bêtes noires :lol: .
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am That looks and sounds delicious, and does not have any of my bêtes noires :lol: .
I'd make it and send it by Grub Hub, but it might be cold by the time it gets there. Sorry.

And it's not quite the same reheated. Kinda like my spanakopita.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:29 am
Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm I recently rediscovered the joy of a good grilled cheese sammich. And I tells you now that the best bread for it is Orowheat Italian bread.

If you left it open face, it would have been called a bruschetta.

My fav g cheese is one slice of aged swiss (where the salt has started to form on the rind) and a slice of real Kraft American (not the proc food product) on cracked wheat, butter fried both sides, but not smashed. *DO NOT* smash my grilled cheese please. Thank you.
Butter fried & non-smashed are the only way to go.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Stuff”