Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

MN-Skeptic

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 pm You'll notice the same difference between Sam's Club and Costco. My sweetie used to buy BabyBel cheeses. You could find packages of those at both Sam's Club and at Costco. The ones at Costco contained more cheeses. But how many people do per unit comparisons?
I love me my Costco (even if the annual membership is a bit more than other warehouse clubs). Good company.
In Quicken, I classify my Costco membership as Entertainment. :lol:

Actually the Costco membership will be working out for me this summer. I’m going through Costco to get a new furnace and air conditioner. My current ones are 42 years old. I’ll get a Costco gift card equal to 10% of the cost of the new furnace and A/C. I’ll also be charging it on my Costco credit card, so I get something back from that too.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Saw a menu today for a burger that had "bordelaise ketchup." I am not even sure what that is. I can only figure they thickened the sauce and added some ketchup-like stuff.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:00 pm In Quicken, I classify my Costco membership as Entertainment. :lol:
:shrug: LOL

I'm not sure exactly how you can get away with "entertainment" --

But they are a good company. I've had Sam's Club, BJs, and Costco. I now just hold Costco. I think they were one of the first major corps to put in $15 minimum wage for their employees. The difference is dramatic in how customers are treated when they walk in. (and the company donates to liberal causes -- so that's a bonus).

And you're from MN -- Target is way up my list, too, also.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:36 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 pm As to the mis-matched hot dogs and buns (which does bug me), I buy Hebrew National hot dogs at Costco. They come seven to a package. Buy the same thing in the grocery store, and there are eight. :?
It's probably just a marketing gimmick. People tend to look at the price, not the package size. I remember around 2008, the tuna industry got devious and shrank the standard can size from 6oz to 5oz without comment. Pissed me off because that mucked up recipes.
I haven't bought tuna in awhile, but as I understand it a can now contains 5.5 oz of tuna. Shrink it another .5 oz and the container will cost more than the product.
Il factotum
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:29 pm I haven't bought tuna in awhile, but as I understand it a can now contains 5.5 oz of tuna. Shrink it another .5 oz and the container will cost more than the product.
You called me out -- you all saw that, Zeke called me out.

5 ounces.

;)

They shrunk the product, they didn't lower the price. They were still making bank.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:15 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:00 pm In Quicken, I classify my Costco membership as Entertainment. :lol:
:shrug: LOL

I'm not sure exactly how you can get away with "entertainment" --

But they are a good company. I've had Sam's Club, BJs, and Costco. I now just hold Costco. I think they were one of the first major corps to put in $15 minimum wage for their employees. The difference is dramatic in how customers are treated when they walk in. (and the company donates to liberal causes -- so that's a bonus).

And you're from MN -- Target is way up my list, too, also.
"Entertainment" because I find the people watching there to be entertaining. Plus I find just wandering the aisles and seeing what they carry entertaining.

I'm a big fan of Target too - both for shopping and for their stock. While most of my investments are in index funds, I do hold some individual stocks in my Roth IRA. I own shares of both Target and Costco. I bought Target back in the spring of 2009 when the stock market was about at its bottom. It's gone up.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tomato ketchup is so dominant in US cuisine that most people don't know that "catsup" was originally made with mushrooms or walnuts and no tomatoes at all.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 pm They shrunk the product, they didn't lower the price. They were still making bank.
How much of the 5 oz is oil?
Il factotum
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:42 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 pm They shrunk the product, they didn't lower the price. They were still making bank.
How much of the 5 oz is oil?
I dunno. I only buy it water packed.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

You buy that? Water or otherwise? It must be nice to be made of money. :talktothehand:
Il factotum
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:47 pm You buy that? Water or otherwise? It must be nice to be made of money. :talktothehand:
Nope not made of money -- but I do my tuna salad with mustard, diced celery, and Old Bay... no mayo. ;)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:37 pm "Entertainment" because I find the people watching there to be entertaining. Plus I find just wandering the aisles and seeing what they carry entertaining.

I'm a big fan of Target too - both for shopping and for their stock. While most of my investments are in index funds, I do hold some individual stocks in my Roth IRA. I own shares of both Target and Costco. I bought Target back in the spring of 2009 when the stock market was about at its bottom. It's gone up.
Target's awesome. They ended their guest educational program several years ago
https://www.target.com/c/take-charge-of ... /-/N-xazi3
(where Red cardholders could earmark a small percent of every purchase to their school of choice -- it had be massive program to manage). My high school was my choice.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Taco Bell's menu hit by nationwide shortages of ingredients

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/taco-bell- ... =124728198
More specifically, a multitude of complaints on social media pointed to a lack of beef, chicken, hot sauce and 10-inch tortillas at the Yum Brands division, which runs nearly 7,500 Taco Bells, most of them in the U.S.

:snippity:

"Due to national transportation delays happening throughout most of the industry, we may temporarily be out of some items. Apologies for the inconvenience and we hope to feed fans' current Taco Bell cravings again soon," the chain told CBS MoneyWatch in an emailed statement.

That said, Yum Brands CEO David Gibbs recently spoke about the strong national appetite for chicken sandwiches amid a general tightening in domestic poultry supply, telling an earnings call in late April, "Our main challenge has been keeping up with that demand."

Yum Brands is not alone is finding it difficult to keep its eateries stocked. Chick-fil-A in May found itself rationing its dipping sauces at its 2,600 locations across the country, citing "industrywide supply chain disruptions."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:eek: shortages without even leaving the EU :?:

:lol:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I have a good supply of Taco Bell sauce packets in my car glove box if anyone needs. ;) :towel:
(somehow, they seem to self multiply :? )
Lani

Post by Lani »

Re Target, I've become a fan. Most of my online shopping is now with Target instead of Amazon. The price is often lower and the shipping is much faster. This fall, we'll finally have a store on my island. The lowest starting wage is $15.75, $5.65 higher than the state's minimum wage.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Visiting Cape Cod this weekend.

The price of fresh shellfish is more than double what it was when I was last here in 2019! :shock: Lobsters are over $13 a lb. Softshell clams are practically a dollar each in restaurants.

Guess we will be skipping the seafood this trip. :crying:
Liz

Post by Liz »

It's BLT season.
How many slices of bacon do you use. On toast or plain bread?
I make it toasted with 4 slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Husband and son want more bacon. Request denied.
I make bacon in oven on cookie pan lined with parchment paper.... 12 slices of bacon fill the sheet.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Liz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm It's BLT season.
I make it toasted with 4 slices of bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Husband and son want more bacon. Request denied.
I make bacon in oven on cookie pan lined with parchment paper.... 12 slices of bacon fill the sheet.
Definitely AT LEAST 4 pieces of bacon. I never seem to have all three ingredients at the same time and have been happy with a BL, a BT, or TL. Simetimes I substitute L for S (Spinach -fresh). Always with the most fantastic condiment of all time, *Mayonaise! And always on toast.

* Dukes or Blue Plate preferred.
filly

Post by filly »

That's a lot of bacon!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm That's a lot of bacon!
There's a reason bacon is listed first, you know.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

It is the first thng gone. Bacon is made. Then, get the stuff out for the sandwich. Assemble with bread, greens, tomato, mayo... crap, bacon is gone. Make more bacon, rinse and repeat (or eat an LT sandwich).
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Liz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm It's BLT season.
Crispy bacon (4-5 slices). Squishy bread (NOT toasted). That is all. No L. No T. No mayo.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

A big ole sloppy heirloom, thick sliced hickory smoked bacon, lettuce if I have it. Salt, pepper, Blue Plate, Bunny Bread.

Eat over the sink.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

All of the above.

Return to “General Stuff”