Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

filly

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by filly »

To be clear, mayonnaise is beloved in the "South," maybe not in South Florida, but the South. Hell, Duke's mayo is a southern institution: https://www.southernliving.com/dukes-mayo-southern-food. Better than slavery and Jim Crow.

To each his own. Mayo is not inherently bad for you. Everything in moderation. My husband hates it (except when it is incorporated into food he loves so he doesn't know it's in there).
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Blue Plate for us, and it goes in everything, including cake batter.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s an ingredient in the lime crema we make for fish tacos, who knew? It’s also a delivery system for artichokes and asparagus. :mrgreen: I love it…in moderation. I use it more than ketchup.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 am To be clear, mayonnaise is beloved in the "South," maybe not in South Florida, but the South. Hell, Duke's mayo is a southern institution: https://www.southernliving.com/dukes-mayo-southern-food. Better than slavery and Jim Crow.

To each his own. Mayo is not inherently bad for you. Everything in moderation.
Actually, it is bad for you. And I say this as I take a swig of beer. I'm perfectly imperfect.

And since a majority of residents are not from Florida -- but from the "North", we get asked if we want Mayo.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Mayo is not bad for you in moderation. It is high in fat, sure. It is oil, egg, a tad of mustard maybe, and something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar. Mayo made with Olive Oil is better of course, but any decent Mayo isn't any more "bad" than a couple scoops of real ice cream or an order of fries.

*Dukes is the best damned mayo evah!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 am Mayo is not bad for you in moderation. It is high in fat, sure. It is oil, egg, a tad of mustard maybe, and something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar. Mayo made with Olive Oil is better of course, but any decent Mayo isn't any more "bad" than a couple scoops of real ice cream or an order of fries.

You are trying to qualify Mayo. Not seeing it. I saw you tossed in the mustard defense. Um...
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What does dry mustard have to do with it? It's a spice.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I just don't get Neon's vicious character assassination of delicious, yummy, mayo. :nope:

Now, if it was Miracle Whip, that I could understand. :boxing:
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 am I just don't get Neon's vicious character assassination of delicious, yummy, mayo. :nope:

Miracle Whip was invented by the devil. It should be pink or blue or something so nobody, ever, confuses it for mayo.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Miracle Whip supposedly has sugar blended in it. Why anyone would want sugar in their mayo escapes my unsound imagination.
Il factotum
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 am Miracle Whip supposedly has sugar blended in it. Why anyone would want sugar in their mayo escapes my unsound imagination.
My baby sister loved Miracle Whip sandwiches -- just Miracle Whip alone on bread. It's fake mayo, but maybe because I made so many sandwiches for her that I have an aversion to anything mayo-ish. :sick:
Miracle Whip is made from water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, spice, and dried garlic.
It's the nasty high-fructose corn syrup as the sugar component. They put that crap in everything. One reason I quit drinking sodas years ago.

They load stuff up with sugars because it's highly addictive.
filly

Post by filly »

Estiveo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 am I just don't get Neon's vicious character assassination of delicious, yummy, mayo. :nope:

Yeah, I don't get that either. Dietary guidance has changed over the years. Unless you have some specific conditions, eating an occasional egg is not "bad for you." Ditto with salt.

I had this discussion with my doctor because Mr. Filly and I went to a nice place for our Anniversary a few years ago and the doctor and his wife were seated right next to us. Mr. Filly was afraid to use salt with the doctor there. I recounted this and the doctor told me that recent studies had shown, counter-intuitively, that salt in moderation didn't really have an adverse effect on blood pressure as was once believed. The only caveats were that if you had kidney disease or congestive heart failure, ixnay on the salt.

So it is fair not to "like" foods but a little mayo is not bad for you unless you have a specific health issue.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:39 pm

Yeah, I don't get that either. Dietary guidance has changed over the years. Unless you have some specific conditions, eating an occasional egg is not "bad for you." Ditto with salt.
I just don't like it. It tastes bad and looks like some dude had a major orgasm on my sandwich. (a visual you will never get out of your head ... 8-) you're welcome. )

Now, if you want a nice, creamy, healthy, tasty spread for your food, try some guacamole. :thumbsup:
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I agree that mayo, by itself, doesn't taste pleasant. But I do think that mayo has an elevating effect on sandwiches.

As far as things that are "bad for you," I'm sure someone out there would tell me that my current snack of brown sugar smoked salmon from the local fishmonger on top of cream cheese on a Wheat Thin is probably not "good for me." However, it tastes amazing, so those people can bite me just as much as people who insist on being tedious and reminding me that my very occasional indulgence in large steaks and even more infrequent smoking of a cigar are unhealthy. These things bring me pleasure, without which life is not worth living.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 pmNow, if you want a nice, creamy, healthy, tasty spread for your food, try some guacamole. :thumbsup:
:shh: Don't tell Neon, but...
► Show Spoiler
:shh:
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 pmNow, if you want a nice, creamy, healthy, tasty spread for your food, try some guacamole. :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler
You know you're going to end up in hell. With your fpoon thingy or whatever along with you.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Had to look up the Miracle stuff, don't remember to have seen it in Switzerland, but Germany has a local production facility. Maybe sufficient US soldiers based in the country?
Wikipedia wrote:Ingredients

Miracle Whip is made from water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, spice, and dried garlic.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip
According to the Wiki the "miracle" name came from a newly invented emulsifying machine in the early 1930s taged as such.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm
Estiveo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm
► Show Spoiler
You know you're going to end up in hell. With your fpoon thingy or whatever along with you.
My favorite fpoon is an optimal mayo slathering device which also multitasks for stirring/blending mayo into other ingredients, thus increasing their creamy deliciousness.🥄🥑🍔🥪🥬🍅🥒🍞🧀🥚🐟🦐🦞🦀🐓
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:27 pm My baby sister loved Miracle Whip sandwiches -- just Miracle Whip alone on bread. It's fake mayo, but maybe because I made so many sandwiches for her that I have an aversion to anything mayo-ish. :sick:
Yeah, you may have found your heavy aversion. I don't use it very much, but when I have it on something, it works, most of the time.

Please tell me she made sure she had her Miracle Whip sandwich with Wonder Bread.
101010 :towel:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 am Mayo is not bad for you in moderation. It is high in fat, sure. It is oil, egg, a tad of mustard maybe, and something acidic like lemon juice or vinegar. Mayo made with Olive Oil is better of course, but any decent Mayo isn't any more "bad" than a couple scoops of real ice cream or an order of fries.

Homemade is the best mayo evah! It's not that hard to make, just makes a mess of all the doodads used to make it. But oh so worth it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:23 pm Please tell me she made sure she had her Miracle Whip sandwich with Wonder Bread.
Oh no, it was definitely store brand bread. *see "frugal" discussion elsewhere in the forum
(it's not that we didn't have the money -- it was my father grew up without so he was always conscious --- he even bought white label beer (white cans with just word "BEER" emblazoned upon them -- from the Falstaff Brewing Co)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Many years ago, I was watching my dad prepare sweet and sour pork (or chicken, I forget which). He was adding the powder from a yellow box into the bowl with the meat. However, to his consternation, it was not thickening like usual. He kept at it, and still, not much thickening. He was worried that he does not have any more left as he was finishing off the box. I said, no, there's another box in the cupboard. He says no, he's positive we do not but gets up to check. As he opens the cupboard he says, "see, no more" and I said, "no it's that yellow box right there." He said, but that's not corn starch to which I mentioned, um, neither is the box you were using.

He turns in horror to see the yellow box on the counter which was clearly labeled....
► Show Spoiler
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"sweet and sour"

It's definitely going to have the "sweet" part... :lol:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:22 am

You are trying to qualify Mayo. Not seeing it. I saw you tossed in the mustard defense. Um...
My dietician says the only foods that are “bad for you” are high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, and ... there’s one more that I can’t remember (it wasn’t mayo). Everything else in moderation, according to one’s individual needs.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:40 pm Many years ago, I was watching my dad prepare sweet and sour pork (or chicken, I forget which). He was adding the powder from a yellow box into the bowl with the meat. However, to his consternation, it was not thickening like usual. He kept at it, and still, not much thickening. He was worried that he does not have any more left as he was finishing off the box. I said, no, there's another box in the cupboard. He says no, he's positive we do not but gets up to check. As he opens the cupboard he says, "see, no more" and I said, "no it's that yellow box right there." He said, but that's not corn starch to which I mentioned, um, neither is the box you were using.

He turns in horror to see the yellow box on the counter which was clearly labeled....
► Show Spoiler
My mother made gravy with buckwheat pancake mix one time by accident. My uncle choked it down and didn't say a word. The rest of us spit it out immediately. It was pretty bad. (But so are buckwheat pancakes, for that matter.)

Return to “General Stuff”