Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by northland10 »

Since my dad does some very fancy cooking, it is quite fun to point out the couple of oopses along the line, such as getting distracted and forgetting to consider displacement when brining a turkey.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pancakes in this house are crêpes, or palicsinta, Hungarian crêpes, as I grew up eating them. Every time the grandkids are here, they want palicsinta. It takes a long time to make a recipe and a half of them, but the kids have a great time filling them up and eating them. I make them all, and then we all sit down to eat.

(Don't care much for buckwheat pancakes either.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I like buckwheat pancakes, and mayo, but not at the same time.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/202 ... a-warning/
Weeks after the arrival of Brood X, the buzzy swarm of cicadas that emerge from the ground every 17 years to cover trees and sidewalks across a swath of the country, federal health officials have a new warning: People with seafood allergies shouldn’t eat the insects.

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday issued the advice to would-be bug-munchers via Twitter, noting that the cicadas “share a family relation to shrimp and lobsters.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Yesterday, I ordered filet mignon sliders from a restaurant (delivery, of course). They included various packets of condiments including...

Mayo.

I didn't use it. I was not sure if it was for the fries or the sliders which already had a light horseradish cream. It was light enough to add but did not cover the wonderful tasting meat.

The fries were nicely seasoned so any condiment would have covered that.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Hey Cosco shoppers - they have Cahills chive cheese again. It's a seasonal offering, and delicious. Get it while you can. Best served room temp.

The flavor is akin to sour cream and onion tater chips. Not delicate or subtle at all. Pairs well with red meat and robust red wine, but not fruit. Good for fondue.
Last edited by Foggy on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speling/grammer (read/red)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our long national nightmare is nearly over! :thumbsup:

TIME
@TIME
Miguel Patricio, CEO of Kraft Heinz, says the end of the ketchup shortage is in sight
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Until then, you will just need to settle for mayo.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: we European commies must have the better capitalism - we never had any food shortage, Heinz ketchup was always available (produced in the Netherlands). Of course I cannot speak for the UK brethrens under their self imposed Brexit ;)
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 am :confuzzled: we European commies must have the better capitalism - we never had any food shortage, Heinz ketchup was always available (produced in the Netherlands). Of course I cannot speak for the UK brethrens under their self imposed Brexit ;)
And I can't speak for the other 49 states or the other 57 counties of California, but there was always plenty of Heinz on the shelves when I made my frequent visits to the condiment aisle at Nob Hill Foods to restock on creamy, delicious, yummy, delectable, oh-so-good-for-sammiches, mayonnaise, which is an important part of a healthy lunch and an indispensable/irreplaceable ingredient in a BLT. :batting:
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The shortage is of small packets of ketchup used in fast food restaurants and for takeout orders.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We went to Taco Bell the other night (no judgment!) and they gave us, without even asking, 46 packets of sauce. It was literally like a double handful of sauce packets. Not a single paper napkin (boo...I use them like paper towels here) or a straw, but holy shit, we're set with Diablo sauce for several years.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:09 pm We went to Taco Bell the other night (no judgment!) and they gave us, without even asking, 46 packets of sauce. It was literally like a double handful of sauce packets. Not a single paper napkin (boo...I use them like paper towels here) or a straw, but holy shit, we're set with Diablo sauce for several years.
I had a discussion today with a manager of a restaurant I have been frequenting often (take out during the pandemic) during the last year, and even somewhat regular before that. He was mentioning how they had run into difficulty getting plastic forks, chicken (one time for two weeks on this), and other things like ketchup, mustard, and napkins.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

The rhubarb wont quit here in NW Ohio. Last year I did all the traditional rhubarb stuff. Recently I saw a recipe for a rhubarb cocktail using a syrup with it as the base. I like cocktails, but I love salads with flavoured vinaigrette more.

So a couple weeks ago, I chopped up and cooked a pound of rhubarb in several cups of plain white vinegar and a quarter cup of sugar. Cooked it to mush then drained and strained it. Bottled it an empty glass vinegar bottle. It is just wonderful with olive oil and thyme on a salad. Tomatoes and Feta, of course.

This picture is about 1/16th of what I could have harvested. I really need to thin it all out and freeze some for winter pie and.cobbler.
Attachments
201624000_4401811276498081_7236504466632301538_n.jpg
201624000_4401811276498081_7236504466632301538_n.jpg (143.72 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:22 pm The rhubarb wont quit here in NW Ohio. Last year I did all the traditional rhubarb stuff. Recently I saw a recipe for a rhubarb cocktail using a syrup with it as the base. I like cocktails, but I love salads with flavoured vinaigrette more.

So a couple weeks ago, I chopped up and cooked a pound of rhubarb in several cups of plain white vinegar and a quarter cup of sugar. Cooked it to mush then drained and strained it. Bottled it an empty glass vinegar bottle. It is just wonderful with olive oil and thyme on a salad. Tomatoes and Feta, of course.

This picture is about 1/16th of what I could have harvested. I really need to thin it all out and freeze some for winter pie and.cobbler.
The hobby farm on the road between my house and my office just finished the rhubarb season. I missed it last year, so I made sure to get quite a bit this year. They only have about 10 plants but had piles of stalks at the farm stand.

I cook it as sauce, with light sugar, to put over ice cream or just to eat as a snack. We probably cooked up about 15 pounds this year, and it's a little overrepresented in the mix of stuff in the freezer.

Never tried it as a salad dressing ingredient--thanks for the idea. Will have to wait until next year. I'm going to order one Victoria plant (the most common variety, medium tart) and one Colorado Red (very tart, bright red, no green) so I can make it really zippy (read: minimal sugar) like my grandmother used to make. She always said it was done right when one spoonful made your eyelids sweat.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm The shortage is of small packets of ketchup used in fast food restaurants and for takeout orders.
If they're needed, we've accumulated 7 short tons of the these from ordering with DoorDash the past 15 months.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm The shortage is of small packets of ketchup used in fast food restaurants and for takeout orders.
If they're needed, we've accumulated 7 short tons of the these from ordering with DoorDash the past 15 months.
:lol:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:03 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:56 pm
:lol:
I would say the same, but with the way my roommate goes through ketchup, we usually have a shortage ourselves.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

The last year I've seen a lot of comments about raisins in potato salad. I have never heard or seen such a thing, have you?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

No, but why not? Add a little sweetness.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Mrich wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 pm The last year I've seen a lot of comments about raisins in potato salad. I have never heard or seen such a thing, have you?
Oh no! Just NO!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The only salad raisins belong in is carrot, and I don't eat either raisins or carrots.

Raisins in bread pudding is a felony, too.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

As a lifelong Southerner, I have heard Sugar's opinion about raisins and salads expressed many a time. There is one salad that raisins complement well. It is made at a local pub/diner by lifelong Southerners.

Ingredients:

Baby spinach fresh
Pine nuts
Slices of white onion
Raisins
Fresh fried bacon pieces
Crumbled feta cheese

Ott's Honey Mustard Dressing (my preference)
Grilled salmon if you are really hungry

This is my reward for getting through an IBS episode when I can finally eat greens again. And, of course, a Dos Equis Ambar or two to wash it down. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm As a lifelong Southerner, I have heard Sugar's opinion about raisins and salads expressed many a time. There is one salad that raisins complement well. It is made at a local pub/diner by lifelong Southerners.

Ingredients:

Baby spinach fresh
Pine nuts
Slices of white onion
Raisins
Fresh fried bacon pieces
Crumbled feta cheese

Ott's Honey Mustard Dressing (my preference)
Grilled salmon if you are really hungry

This is my reward for getting through an IBS episode when I can finally eat greens again. And, of course, a Dos Equis Ambar or two to wash it down. :biggrin:
That sounds like a cross between a hot bacon grease salad and a watermelon salad, both of which I can eat my weight in.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

PlutoTV just added a new channel... It's free, 24 hours & viewable on desktop & mobile.
Pluto said its new Julia Child channel, channel 519, will cycle through 165 hours of shows including:

The French Chef, which premiered in 1963 and concluded in 1973
Baking with Julia, which aired from 1996 to 2001
Julia Child: Cooking with Master Chefs, which aired 16 episodes from 1993 to 1994, and featured chefs including Lidia Bastianich, Emeril Lagasse, Jacques Pepin, Nancy Silverton, and Alice Waters
Julia Child Channel
Channel 519

Today, Pluto TV added the Julia Child Channel with over 165 hours of content from The French Chef, Baking with Julia, Julia Child: Cooking with Master Chefs, and more. These episodes are filled with classic French dishes, curious retro recipes, talented guest chefs, bloopers, and Julia’s signature wit and kitchen wisdom. Discover for yourself how this beloved cultural icon introduced Americans to French cuisine, and how her light-hearted approach to cooking forever changed how we prepare, eat and think about food. Bon appétit!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “General Stuff”