Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by Phoenix520 »

Coffee shakes are hard to find out there on the road. Very few places that don’t have it on the menu are willing to experiment so
I often end up ordering an iced coffee and a vanilla shake and making my own. :dance:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:shock:

Paulina Mosbach⚓
@Paulina_Mosb
UPDATE: The line for
@WhiteCastle
Orlando is over a mile long and the wait is over 4 hours #whitecastleorlando
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

World’s largest White Castle opens in Orlando
Fast food fans wait hours ahead of opening

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... n-orlando/
The massive 4,567-square-foot restaurant is located in The Village at O-Town West at the intersection of Palm Parkway and Daryl Carter Parkway off Interstate 4.

Hundreds of fans of the chain’s famous hamburger sliders lined up, camping out overnight or arriving early Monday to be the first in line for the restaurant’s opening.

The location is now the largest White Castle in the world with indoor and outdoor seating and two drive-thru lanes.

“We do know we have lots of cravers throughout Florida & we figured we start in the center. The heart of it all and create the largest White Castle here in Central Florida,” Lisa Ingram, President & CEO said.
This is what the excitement is about. This burger is about 2" wide. :roll: A shack of 10 costs $5.99 ($6.99 in NYC area).

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The Popeye's chicken sandwich has been around for a while and the line is still 30 minutes long at all of them. Don't believe I'd be lining up for a White Castle when I can just hit the Krystal around the corner.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am The Popeye's chicken sandwich has been around for a while and the line is still 30 minutes long at all of them. Don't believe I'd be lining up for a White Castle when I can just hit the Krystal around the corner.
I didn’t know Krystal was still around. We had them in TN when I was a kid.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

It is just a postage stamp on a dinner roll, but it has it's fans.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Last time I ate White Castle I was in college. I remember them as being kinda awful in a unique way.
filly

Post by filly »

my husband wants to buy a White Castle franchise.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

White Castles must be ingested in a particular manner to be fully appreciated.
As a youngster (13-17 in early '60s) I was a 'rink-rat' at a large ice hockey rink. This was pre-Zamboni days at that rink. One of the perks of being a rink-rat was after the 8:30 - 10:30 PM session we played pickup hockey until the Super kicked us out usually around 12:30 or 1:00 AM. To replenish / rehydrate our depleted precious bodily fluids after all that exercise we would hop into the oldest guy's tiny English Ford and head for the nearest WC conveniently located next to a pony keg that never checked IDs.
Standard order was a quart of 'Olde Panther Sweat', 12 WCs (12 / $1.00 w/coupon). lots of extra onions, hold the pickle. Then off to a nearby park to enjoy the feast.
True nectar and ambrosia to my incredibly underdeveloped gourmet palate. I still get a couple several times a year but they never taste as good. I think part of that is that mid nite to 4:00 AM was the busiest time at the joint so the sandwiches were always fresh and hot. Then too also, it might have just been the beer!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Restaurants face nationwide chicken shortage

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nationwide ... =117867795
Family-owned restaurants around the U.S. are struggling to keep a steady supply of chicken tenders, wings and breasts on their customers' plates due to a nationwide poultry shortage.

Consumer demand for the bird has surged amid the coronavirus, with Americans turning to comfort foods and buying more chicken sandwiches from fast-food restaurants like KFC, McDonald's and Popeyes. As millions of Americans sat idle during stay-at-home orders last year and ordered chicken meals from local restaurants, poultry producers have been unable to keep pace.

Outbreaks of the coronavirus in meat processing plants early on in the pandemic forced many plants to close, putting further strain on the supply chain. Supplies were further constricted in February, when some chicken farms in Texas had to temporarily shut down because of Winter Storm Uri.

:snippity:

"We're getting about two-thirds of what we'd typically order and there's some days our food reps will call us and they say, 'We might not be able to get you anything'," Jeff Feather, who manages Duff's Famous Wings in Buffalo, New York, told CBS Newspath correspondent Michael George.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am The Popeye's chicken sandwich has been around for a while and the line is still 30 minutes long at all of them. Don't believe I'd be lining up for a White Castle when I can just hit the Krystal around the corner.
Last October, there was no wait for a Popeye's chicken sandwich at the drive-thru of the one near me. Maybe there are issues now due to the supply chain.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm
Last October, there was no wait for a Popeye's chicken sandwich at the drive-thru of the one near me. Maybe there are issues now due to the supply chain.
Nope. It's because there is a line around Popeye's drive thrus most days, at all times of day. That was before they ever invented their sandwich or there was a chicken shortage. We're surrounded by chicken plants here so aren't seeing high prices or shortages, at least not yet. Popeye's is the go-to ready to serve Thanksgiving meal too. Popeye's is a Southern thing I guess.

There is a Popeye's a mile or so from the house, 2 buildings down from a main intersection, 5 lanes on each street. I avoid that intersection whenever possible because there is a 50/50 chance the drive thru will have traffic backed up and blocking both roads. I've had to sit through 3 and 4 light changes to get through the intersection.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 pm Restaurants face nationwide chicken shortage

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nationwide ... =117867795
Family-owned restaurants around the U.S. are struggling to keep a steady supply of chicken tenders, wings and breasts on their customers' plates due to a nationwide poultry shortage.

Consumer demand for the bird has surged amid the coronavirus, with Americans turning to comfort foods and buying more chicken sandwiches from fast-food restaurants like KFC, McDonald's and Popeyes. As millions of Americans sat idle during stay-at-home orders last year and ordered chicken meals from local restaurants, poultry producers have been unable to keep pace.

Outbreaks of the coronavirus in meat processing plants early on in the pandemic forced many plants to close, putting further strain on the supply chain. Supplies were further constricted in February, when some chicken farms in Texas had to temporarily shut down because of Winter Storm Uri.

"We're getting about two-thirds of what we'd typically order and there's some days our food reps will call us and they say, 'We might not be able to get you anything'," Jeff Feather, who manages Duff's Famous Wings in Buffalo, New York, told CBS Newspath correspondent Michael George.
KFC is selling buckets of dark meat super cheap. White meat, not so much.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'd be perfectly fine with dark meat, but I haven't had anything from KFC for a long time.

We tried to order chicken wings (dark meat) from our favorite pizza place on Saturday, and they were sold out pretty early in the day. This place is famous for its chicken wings. I seem to remember there's a chicken wing shortage.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I have not had KFC in a while and am not sure if they even have one around her (I assume they probably do). If I go for fried chicken, I go to Popeye's. I like their sides more, and of course, the biscuits.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:15 pm I'd be perfectly fine with dark meat, but I haven't had anything from KFC for a long time.

We tried to order chicken wings (dark meat) from our favorite pizza place on Saturday, and they were sold out pretty early in the day. This place is famous for its chicken wings. I seem to remember there's a chicken wing shortage.
There has been for a few years a shortage of "chicken wings" -- which used to be cheap scrap until the Buffalo Wild Wings craze --gristle and fat and terribly unhealthy from a diet stance . And then, a few years later, restaurants started with the "Boneless Wings" -- which are not wings at all -- it's chicken breast sliced up. White meat -- never was on a "wing".

They love the lie, don't they? :shrug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Natalie Allison
@natalie_allison
Rep. Tim Rudd has purchased 200 Krystal burgers for his colleagues in the Tennessee House.
So, he's trying to help them lose weight by reducing their caloric input? ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Chick-fil-A imposes sauce limit amid industrywide shortages

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chick-fil- ... =118828884
First there was a nationwide chicken shortage. Now there is a shortage of dipping sauce for chicken, with the fast-food chain Chick-fil-A rationing customer handouts of its own sauces amid supply constraints as Americans bounce back from the COVID-19 recession

Restaurant managers at some of Chick-fil-A's 2,600 locations across the country are advising team members to allow customers just one dipping sauce portion per entrée ordered. The company said it is doing everything it can to restore its supply of sauces to usual levels.

"Due to industrywide supply chain disruptions, some Chick-fil-A restaurants are experiencing a shortage of select items, like sauces," a Chick-fil-A spokesperson said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. "We are actively working to make adjustments to solve this issue quickly and apologize to our guests for any inconvenience."

The pandemic has also stoked shortages of semiconductor chips, used cars, computers and video game consoles. The supply constraint has hampered auto manufacturing and driven up used car prices as rental car companies and individuals scramble to get their hands on vehicles now that travel is becoming easier with the widespread COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

:nooo:

:panic:

Oh wait, I've never been to Chick-Fill-A before.

Never mind.. back to your normal activities.

:bar:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I LOVE white castle

Vegas has one on Fremont Street.

Sometimes we get a traveling WC trailer during River Fest they are always busy
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Volkonski wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:38 pm Chick-fil-A imposes sauce limit amid industrywide shortages

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chick-fil- ... =118828884
First there was a nationwide chicken shortage. Now there is a shortage of dipping sauce for chicken, with the fast-food chain Chick-fil-A rationing customer handouts of its own sauces amid supply constraints as Americans bounce back from the COVID-19 recession

Restaurant managers at some of Chick-fil-A's 2,600 locations across the country are advising team members to allow customers just one dipping sauce portion per entrée ordered. The company said it is doing everything it can to restore its supply of sauces to usual levels.

"Due to industrywide supply chain disruptions, some Chick-fil-A restaurants are experiencing a shortage of select items, like sauces," a Chick-fil-A spokesperson said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. "We are actively working to make adjustments to solve this issue quickly and apologize to our guests for any inconvenience."

The pandemic has also stoked shortages of semiconductor chips, used cars, computers and video game consoles. The supply constraint has hampered auto manufacturing and driven up used car prices as rental car companies and individuals scramble to get their hands on vehicles now that travel is becoming easier with the widespread COVID-19 vaccine rollout.
It isn't any sauce masterpiece. It is a lube for gastro-disturbed idiots. Its mayo, mustard, honey and cheap bbq sauce.
filly

Post by filly »

Guess what I just saw in the condiments section of the grocery store?

16 oz bottles of Chic Fil A dipping sauces!
:sick:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:47 pm Guess what I just saw in the condiments section of the grocery store?

I saw that at the Kroger just yesterday. I didn’t even know they made such a thing.

Chic Fil A is one of those things I’ve never understood. We had one around the corner in Reston, and even before covid the line at the drive-thru was always super long.

I haven’t eaten there since the late 1990s because an acquaintance who worked there got fired when they discovered she was gay. When they had the big boycott in 2012 over Chic Fil A’s funding of anti-LGBQT organizations I was feeling pretty smug.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:01 pm
filly wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:47 pm Guess what I just saw in the condiments section of the grocery store?

I saw that at the Kroger just yesterday. I didn’t even know they made such a thing.

Chic Fil A is one of those things I’ve never understood. We had one around the corner in Reston, and even before covid the line at the drive-thru was always super long.

I haven’t eaten there since the late 1990s because an acquaintance who worked there got fired when they discovered she was gay. When they had the big boycott in 2012 over Chic Fil A’s funding of anti-LGBQT organizations I was feeling pretty smug.
My son and his high school friends concluded they must put cocaine in the food!

I didn’t patronize them ever because I think the food sucks so the gay hate boycott was a no brainer for our household!
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Yum... ?

Cicada tacos on the menu as billions emerge from the ground across the US in 17-year cycle

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-05- ... /100157764

Millions of cicadas have begun to emerge from the ground across the eastern United States, where they will live for about three weeks before dying — unless they are eaten first.

Key points:

Cicadas are sometimes described as tasting like shrimp
They hold the record for the longest juvenile period of any insect
Females lay between 400 to 600 eggs
Billions — and possibly trillions — of cicadas will continue to appear in the coming weeks to reproduce before dying after spending 17 years underground feasting on tree and plant roots.

Return to “General Stuff”