Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Daylight Savings Time 2021 Began: Mar 14 Ends: Nov 7

What To Do About Daylight Savings Time's Twice Yearly Changes?

Keep It at DST
27%
Keep It at Standard time (without DST)
18%
Keep It like it is now, Spring Ahead, Fall Back
45%
Other
9%

Total votes: 11

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Daylight Savings Time 2021 Began: Mar 14 Ends: Nov 7

Post by Luke »

Don't forget -- clocks spring forward an hour tonight.

Daylight saving time 2021 began at 2:00 AM on
Sunday, March 14
and ends at 2:00 AM on
Sunday, November 7

This is a ridiculous waste of time and energy. Why don't they just get rid of it already? Florida and many states are for it, Congress says they are but never get to it.

Lots of computers and electronics already adjust, but a lot of appliances and all manual clocks need to be changed.
Daylight Saving Time Cannot Be Stopped
The European Union was set to stop changing its clocks in 2021, but things got complicated. In the U.S., meanwhile, senators propose a “National Sunshine Protection Act.”
By Feargus O'Sullivan March 11, 2021, 1:00 AM EST

Lots of people hate changing their clocks when daylight saving time begins in March, but the European Union seemed prepared to do more than just complain about it: In March 2019, the European Parliament voted to dispense entirely with biannual clock changes. A continent full of people — tired of being plunged into early evening darkness in the fall and then having an hour of precious life yanked from their existence in the spring — were looking forward to the last year ever for moving to the eight-month-long DST period in the EU this month. Countries opting to keep to summer time would “spring forward” for the final time in March, while those that preferred the winter schedule would carry out their last clock change in October. In the U.S., a similar move to break the much-despised clock-changing habit has been advanced by a bipartisan group of senators, whose “Sunshine Protection Act of 2021” would make year-round DST the law of the land. State-level measures along those lines have passed in California, Florida and many other states. The arguments for abolishing the practice, which emerged in the early 20th century as a means of saving energy by shifting working hours to follow the sun, are many and varied: The disruptive effects of the twice-a-year time change have been linked to higher rates of car crashes, workplace injuries, street crime, heart attacks and general crankiness.

But as the European experience shows, killing daylight saving time isn’t easy. This month, EU residents will turn their clocks forward across the continent (on March 28, two weeks after the U.S.) without any confirmation that the practice will be abandoned next — or any — year. So what went wrong? The main culprit for the delay is arguably the pandemic, possibly with a small side order of Brexit. The issue’s tortuous passage through the complicated mechanisms of the EU also demonstrates how easily decisions in that institution can get gummed up in the gears of international bureaucracy if there’s no one pushing hard for progress. After the European Parliament’s vote, the change was supposed to be implemented following agreement from the European Council, the EU steering body comprised mainly of heads of state. The Council, however, then bounced the issue onto the European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, saying that it couldn’t push the change through until the commission had conducted an impact assessment. The commission has in turn insisted that, no, the sticking issue is in fact the council, which needs to thrash out a common position first. The result is stalemate.

The logjam could be broken pretty easily, but Europe’s governments currently have bigger fish to fry. Over the past 12 months, EU states have been too preoccupied trying to stem the transmission of coronavirus and keeping health systems and economies propped up to worry much about daylight saving. Brexit has added another layer of complication to the picture. Now that the U.K. is no longer a member of the union, it has no immediate plans to give up daylight saving within its borders (though the idea also has wide support there). So if Ireland follows the rest of the EU in abandoning daylight saving, it risks creating two different times on the island for half the year — one in the Republic and one in British-governed Northern Ireland. A solution to this would be to align Northern Ireland’s time with the Republic’s, but that would grate on many Northern Irish unionists, who would now find themselves chronologically out of step with England, Scotland and Wales. This could be fixed easily if the U.K. followed the EU — but that is something that its current government have little inclination or motivation to do.

Even without these complications, getting rid of the timeshift would take some negotiation. As in the U.S., different geographies might favor summer or winter time. (Most of Arizona and all of Hawaii — two U.S. states that aren’t hurting for sunshine — currently opt out of of DST entirely, as do several U.S. territories.) While this is theoretically possible in Europe, it could get extremely complicated, with permanent time differences between countries dictated not by geography or alignment with current time zones, but by consumer choice. As the EU already straddles three time zones, the results could be madness. While permanent summer time is generally the most popular option in opinion polls — just under 60% of French people favor it, for example — northern countries tend to be more divided. Sleep researchers in Sweden, for example, warn that opting for brighter evenings over mornings could have a negative effect on sleep patterns. The idea that an EU nation was obliged to agree to a particular choice to stand in harmony with the rest of the union would be one likely to rile populists, who already like to falsely categorize the EU as a dictatorship as it is. This isn’t enough to dissuade action, but it certainly helps put clock changes to the back of the queue.

Having said that, many countries bordering the EU, including Turkey, Russia and Belarus, have already ditched daylight saving without unleashing pandemonium. Iceland, meanwhile, sprang forward for the last time in 1968, though the notion of re-implementing DST has periodically reemerged. At its far-northern latitude, the hours of daylight swing so wildly from season to season that turning the clock back or forward an hour would be a little pointless. (As this viral video from 2009 illustrates, some Icelanders have passionate feelings on the topic.) It’s hard to say if time is truly running out for daylight saving, though the fact that killing it off may be the only issue that truly enjoys bipartisan support in the U.S. Congress offers a sense of its widespread unpopularity. In Europe, clock-changing will linger on at least another year. But the larger movement among governments and public health experts to abandon the practice seems to gaining momentum. One day, the continent will not be jolted by abrupt shifts of time in spring and autumn — and will likely be ever so slightly healthier and happier for it. That day’s just not coming this month.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-ever-end
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Daylight Savings Time 2021 Began: Mar 14 Ends: Nov 7

Post by northland10 »

For the Spring Foward version, I generally reset most of the non-automatic devices earlier in the evening so I can readjust my schedule and not get to be too late. This is important when you need to get up earlier on Sunday to get ready to work (and make sure the voice is awake).
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Also Happy Pi Day.

Out from under. :thumbsup:
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Because of pandemic, I never really shifted my sleeping schedule last fall, so I have been getting up ridiculously early for the past four months. It feels great to be getting up at my "normal" time this morning.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Some people's clocks broke this morning, and others got fixed.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

The clock in my car will be right again! I use Apple car play and when I have the phone plugged in it is always correct anyway.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This is usually my favourite work night of the year, but last night we fit in 2 days in 1 less hour.

Ugh.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd love to see DST go away, and, curiously, our ridiculous sr senator proposed making DST the standard instead of...you know....standard time. I hate the idea of all these kids standing around bus stops in total darkness thanks to DST, I'm so far south, it won't be light until close to 8 a.m.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm the only one so far who said "Other." I just don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are things I like about it and things I don't.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I hate the time change, I was just starting to enjoy daylight during g my morning commute.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm a night owl. If I see 5am, it's because I'm reading a book I can't put down and I'm still awake from the day before.

There was a while, while I was working, where they were doing construction on our building and if you wanted to get a spot in the parking lot, and not a block away, you had to get to work by 7am. I got to work at 7am. I hated it.

My husband was not a morning person either. For about 5 years before he retired, he did much of his work from home. That was great, too, because he could stay in bed until almost 8am.

So I'm one of those persons who loves daylight savings time.

As far as kids waiting for buses in the dark? Have schools start an hour later during that portion of the year.
tek

Post by tek »

Ms and I both spent the early parts of our careers in manufacturing.

So, in the plant before 7am, because management/engineering being there before first shift gets in pays large dividends.

I am still an early bird.. Ms, being retired, and lost some of that.. ;)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

In Florida, our legislator passed a bill 2-3 years ago and signed by then Gov Scott to keep DST year-round. But wait because it has to be approved by the Fed DC Congress and it's still not come to the floor for votes. :waiting:
somerset

Post by somerset »

I chose “other” because I’m for DST, but not changing it back and forth. I’d like to see the US make DST permanent. I’m still bouncing back and forth between Asia (where time doesn’t shift) and the US. It would be good, I think, if we adopted one time standard and stuck with it. Standard time would be OK, but I’m partial to DST.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

somerset wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 pm I chose “other” because I’m for DST, but not changing it back and forth. I’d like to see the US make DST permanent. I’m still bouncing back and forth between Asia (where time doesn’t shift) and the US. It would be good, I think, if we adopted one time standard and stuck with it. Standard time would be OK, but I’m partial to DST.
My issue with DST (or changing times at all) is our school schedules. The high school kids go first in the morning -- which means they are catching their bus at around 6:20-6:30am to be there for 'first bell' at 7:05. The second wave are the elementary students. The third wave is middle school students -- first bell is around 9am.

There are many areas of my county that don't even have street lights. And there have been deaths with kids waiting for their bus in the dark.
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:18 pm
somerset wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 pm I chose “other” because I’m for DST, but not changing it back and forth. I’d like to see the US make DST permanent. I’m still bouncing back and forth between Asia (where time doesn’t shift) and the US. It would be good, I think, if we adopted one time standard and stuck with it. Standard time would be OK, but I’m partial to DST.
My issue with DST (or changing times at all) is our school schedules. The high school kids go first in the morning -- which means they are catching their bus at around 6:20-6:30am to be there for 'first bell' at 7:05. The second wave are the elementary students. The third wave is middle school students -- first bell is around 9am.

There are many areas of my county that don't even have street lights. And there have been deaths with kids waiting for their bus in the dark.
OK. But does it really make sense to have the whole country change the time standard twice a year, rather than just have the local school districts change their schedules as needed?
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

somerset wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:50 pm

OK. But does it really make sense to have the whole country change the time standard twice a year, rather than just have the local school districts change their schedules as needed?
:yeahthat:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Apologies, worded it poorly. What was meant was should DST be all year round (meaning don't change the clocks twice a year). I see it was confusing and am sorry. We'd rather have it light later and into the evening... it was setting around 5:30 pm and missed the extra hour. Agree about the kids, it's easier to change the school schedules than make everybody else deal with it. Farmers lobby against it too. But the worst part is the time change itself, scientists say it takes a day per hour to get acclimated, so those trips to Japan really could take 10-12 days to really be on track. Why put people through it twice a year? Betting they will change it, it's too confusing.

Changed up the poll, here were the original results. Krosis (sorry in dragon language):

DST.JPG
DST.JPG (31.47 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

That would cause even more confusion than DST does. Working parents have razor thin time schedules to balance jobs, school and child care as it is. Sending kids to school an hour earlier or later without changing working hours would throw everything into total chaos. It's bad enough for a kid to get sick, or have unexpected snow days, or any other disruption that causes working parents to scramble for child care that doesn't match their work schedule.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

To change the schedule everybody involved with the school, all the printed items, and all of the databases that contain class-related information would have to change. It would also impact the parent's ability to get their students to school while getting themselves to work (and also various related child care arrangements). Businesses who hire students as employees along with other businesses impacted by a school schedule would also be impacted.

Telling schools to change twice a year would be a huge impact and a great deal more disruptive than the rest of change some clocks twice a year. Really, I fail to see the big deal people changing their clocks (and I have also lived near one of the lines so I have gotten the full impact of either a really late sunrise or a really early sunset).
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

:like:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:18 pm :snippity:
Yes, we who are old enough remember we went on extended daylight savings time back in the 1970's during the first oil embargo to "save energy" and the perception was it was putting children catching school buses in the dark in peril whether the statistics backed it up or not. I think that experiment lasted for all of a year.

I would prefer that we just stay on standard time year round and if businesses want to implement summer hours they are free to do so.

Return to “General Stuff”