Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

Gene Kooper

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by Gene Kooper »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:24 pm The murals are fabulous!!!!!!!!!

I want a glass turtle!!!!! :crying:
TRL, At the end of the glass turtle YouTube video there were several suggested videos to watch. One is entitled "Optical Glass Sculptures" by fine art glass artist Jack Storms. Mrs G and I were mesmerized by his sculptures. My bet is that you will want one of his pieces as badly as we do. Alas, the pricing of his sculptures is well beyond our discretionary funds at the moment.

I was very impressed by his use of dichroic glass and mixing glasses of different refractive indexes to create the dazzling colors. Reminds me of my geology classes in optical mineralogy and petrography, esp. when looking at minerals with a high birefringence.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I wants an egg!!!!!! :crying:

Thanks, Mr. Gneiss!!! The Fogbow could be a syndicate like with race horses and purchase a piece. Each owner is allotted time "owning" it based upon the investment!

JPCapitalist, please pick up the courtesy phone! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:58 am I wants an egg!!!!!! :crying:

Thanks, Mr. Gneiss!!! The Fogbow could be a syndicate like with race horses and purchase a piece. Each owner is allotted time "owning" it based upon the investment!

JPCapitalist, please pick up the courtesy phone! :biggrin:
I can't pick up the phone, because I am busy enjoying the 11-minute time block that I was able to afford before sending it back to Foggy.

Yes, that's impressive. I've seen that kind of cold-worked optic glass art before and always appreciated it.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Where is his studio, JT? What a cool collaborative effort! I do love art glass :lovestruck:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:04 pm Where is his studio, JT? What a cool collaborative effort! I do love art glass :lovestruck:
I wish I knew, the video just popped up in my feed.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

https://jackstorms.com/
Where there’s an option for arranged studio tours.

Also:
https://jackstormswearables.com/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Art: I don’t know it when I see it, and I’m apparently not alone. I watched an awesome documentary (on Netflix, I think?) called Made You Look. It was about an art dealer in NYC whose gallery sold a shit-ton of fake paintings over the course of 20 years or so for over $80 million.

They all came from the same source, but the gallery director, Ann Freedman, never got suspicious. These were all abstract expressionist works supposedly by artists whose catalogs were exceptionally well-documented (Pollock, Rothko, Motherwell, and others).

I don’t know the first thing about art. Abstract art, in particular, doesn’t speak to me at all. So I can’t imagine why anyone would shell out 5 million dollars for a Rothko or a Pollock. But the documentary was interesting. Check it out!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

IMHO, there are folks who collect art not because they collect beauty, or it speaks to them, but for ego and investment. While the artist may matter for those who appreciate it because they like the artist's work, but the ego/investment collectors are buying a name. The investment ones may have an eye for what would resell well later on or what may make them look good, but that is their only purpose with art. These folks are the main focus of the fraudsters.

There are those who appreciate art because it speaks to them, and those who appreciate art because it speaks about them.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That turtle is amazing! Magnificent work!

I like the street art, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

"Like any art genre, there are purists but Reynolds sees himself more as a dabbler in steampunk art."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-07/ ... /100417776

When Saxon Reynolds's dad died in 2012, he inherited an abundance of materials, antique weapons, businesses and numerous pre-loved items.

Both his father Garry and grandfather Clifford were collectors slash hoarders.

"Overnight I became the only son of an only son, who has inherited all of these things. Basically, anything you can imagine someone collecting, they collected," the assemblage artist and secondary art teacher said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Clever is the first word that comes to mind. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Now I know the origin of "steampunk". Love it!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A sterling silver paper plate probably isn't a challenge for a good silversmith. A sterling silver folding chair for your Monopoly board is again probably not a difficult task. But, bone china paper cups? Now that's craftmanship. That's art. And they're only a hundred and fifty $USD for a pair. His and Hers in the loo. Eminently practical.

Tiffany's Home Design Everyday Objects Collection

Tiredretiredlawyer

I liked this American walnut sugar shovel. Perhaps I should start a registry....
reader-tote-everyday-objectsamerican-walnut-sugar-shovel-62206489_984189_ED.jpg
reader-tote-everyday-objectsamerican-walnut-sugar-shovel-62206489_984189_ED.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

From one couple's divorce....to another person's "ready-made" art gallery.

Following a high-profile divorce, this $600-million art collection is coming to market
Estimated to fetch over $600 million in total -- "the highest estimate ever placed on any collection to come to auction," according to Sotheby's -- the collection of 65 artworks include those from Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, Alberto Giacometti, Jeff Koons, Mark Rothko and Cy Twombly.
:snippity:
In a virtual press event announcing the sale on Thursday, Sotheby's CEO Charles Stewart called it "one of the most significant and museum-quality collections of modern and contemporary art ever to come to market."

He added: "This sale will...make history as the defining moments in the art market."
I don't want all 65 art objects, just one of Picasso's diminutive pieces. :-D
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:48 am I liked this American walnut sugar shovel. Perhaps I should start a registry....

*reader-tote-everyday-objectsamerican-walnut-sugar-shovel-62206489_984189_ED.jpg
Very reasonably priced too.

OTOH, the honey dipper pricing is way over the top.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Pencil drawing of old man identified as Van Gogh work
Drawing has been in private hands since around 1910 and is now going on display in Amsterdam

Mark Brown Arts correspondent
Thu 16 Sep 2021 16.48 BST

A pencil drawing of a broken old man, head in hands looking utterly exhausted, has been identified as a work by Vincent van Gogh.

The Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam said on Thursday that it had authenticated the drawing as being the work of the man himself. Teio Meedendorp, a senior researcher at the museum, said it was a “spectacular” discovery shining light on Van Gogh’s early career as an artist living in The Hague, a time less well known than his years in Paris or the south of France.

The drawing is similar to a highly regarded one in the museum’s collection called Worn Out. This is an earlier take on the same subject and has been titled Study for Worn Out.

It was drawn in late 1882 when Van Gogh was 29 and two years into his career as an artist. He was drawing as many studies of people as he could, often recruiting models from the Dutch Reformed Old Men’s and Women’s House, paying them a modest fee of perhaps 10 cents and some coffee.

He called these models his “orphan men” and “orphan women”. A favourite was the man in the newly discovered drawing, Adrianus Jacobus Zuyderland, the only one of these models whose name is known.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -gogh-work
Tiredretiredlawyer

I just attended Immersive Van Gogh in Dallas. Go see it if you get a chance!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm I just attended Immersive Van Gogh in Dallas. Go see it if you get a chance!
Tickets with my granddaughter, November 11. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:dance:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 pm :dance:
Jan 4.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm I just attended Immersive Van Gogh in Dallas. Go see it if you get a chance!
Study for Worn Out was drawn early in the artist's career in 1882, the Van Gogh Museum said on Thursday.
The sketch has been been sitting in a Dutch family's private collection for more than a century.

The small pencil drawing, signed "Vincent", depicts an elderly labourer dressed in a waistcoat, trousers and boots, sitting on a wooden chair with his head in his hands.
"In terms of the materials, you also find everything you'd expect in a Van Gogh drawing from this period: a thick carpenter's pencil as medium, coarse watercolour paper as support, and fixing with a solution of water and milk.

"There are traces of damage in the corners on the back of the drawing, which we can link to the way Van Gogh customarily attached sheets of paper to his drawing board using wads of starch.'"

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58586492

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”