Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://mymodernmet.com/iris-scott-sage-time-painting/
Finger Painting Artist Celebrates Beguiling Beauty of the Desert Sky à la ‘Starry Night’

Throughout her career, artist Iris Scott has proven that finger painting isn’t just for kids. Opting for her digits instead of a paintbrush, her large-scale pieces offer an incredible and intimate look into how she sees the world: one that is full of color, texture, and energy. This is encapsulated in her latest painting called Sage and Time. The breathtaking landscape depicts a starry night sky as witnessed from a desolate desert that’s alive with pinks, blues, and electric yellow hues. It’s made even more magical when you remember that Scott did this all without the help of a paintbrush.
iris-scott-finger-painting-night-sky-1.jpg
iris-scott-finger-painting-night-sky-1.jpg (335.53 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow! :lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

:like:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Very cool...

Up to My Eyeballs in Art at Superblue
After a year of sensory deprivation, a critic dips a toe into the new, high-powered immersive art center in Miami.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/18/arts ... e=Homepage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:14 pm Very cool...

Up to My Eyeballs in Art at Superblue
After a year of sensory deprivation, a critic dips a toe into the new, high-powered immersive art center in Miami.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/18/arts ... e=Homepage
Some really neat stuff there!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/valerie-hadida- ... culptures/
Lyrical Sculptures of Expressive Women Tell Stories Through Body Language and Big Hair

French artist Valérie Hadida creates expressive sculptures that represent the stories of women. The pieces are bronze portraits of teenage and middle-aged women sitting in a variety of positions and expressions on their faces with body language and hairstyles to match. Some appear pensive while others look at peace. The differences demonstrate that no two journeys are the same, but like their kneaded surfaces, the figures come through with marks to show—but hopefully are better for it.

The ladies in Hadida’s life are an important influence on her work. “Mothers, daughters, sisters, girlfriends, soulmates, protectors,” Hadida tells My Modern Met, “women of all generations, who constantly inspire me.”
valerie-hadida-sculpture-7.jpeg
valerie-hadida-sculpture-7.jpeg (214.81 KiB) Viewed 7771 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's stunning!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dutch street artist Leon Keer is a master of three-dimensional art. He can transform any flat surface into a mind-bending illusion using paint. And for his latest mural, he has created Shattering, a complex balance of teacups that look as though they’re on the brink of spilling over. Painted in Helsingborg, Sweden, Keer’s mural is a commentary on the fragility of life.
https://mymodernmet.com/leon-keer-3d-teacups-mural/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

FRANCE 24 English
@France24_en
Louvre museum makes its entire collection available online https://f24.my/7VZU.t
It is free of charge.

https://collections.louvre.fr/en/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -her-alive
Last year, Baltimore artist Amy Sherald painted Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old medical worker who was killed by police, as a commission for the cover of Vanity Fair, depicting Taylor in hues of turquoise and blues, standing elegantly, like a goddess, in a long, flowy dress. “Producing this image keeps Breonna alive forever,” said Sherald.

Now, the portrait – which will be jointly owned by the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, and the Speed Art Museum in Louisville – is going on view in a new exhibition honoring Taylor, a year after her death.

Promise, Witness, Remembrance, a group exhibition opening at the Speed Art Museum on 7 April, reflects on Taylor’s life, her killing and the protests that followed in 2020, both in Louisville and around the world.

Featuring over 30 artworks, it includes pieces by Rashid Johnson, Lorna Simpson, Kerry James Marshall, Hank Willis Thomas and others.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

And I know an artist when I see her. I recognized the painting Andy just posted as being very similar in style to Michelle Obama’s official portrait, but didn’t remember the artist’s name. Google to the rescue and yes, Amy Sherald also did the one of Michelle.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

French artist Valérie Hadida
Oh, my, trl. I adore these sculptures! Merci beaucoup!
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I can't divulge too many details here, but my colleagues and I stumped across this in an unused storeroom in a basement of a building.

Fortunately, we were able to let the right person know about it and it will be finding a new home soon.

The interesting thing is, the slab of redwood was from the 1893 exhibition, but the carving appears to have been done in the 1930s.
Tiredretiredlawyer

WOW! THAT is a FIND, Chili! :o
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:33 pm WOW! THAT is a FIND, Chili! :o
It really wasn't me. I had a colleague check the room for old chemicals and paints and he mentioned it.

The principal artist appears to have been Burton Freund. Some of his works are on the internet and the carving is definitely his style.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 pm I can't divulge too many details here, but my colleagues and I stumped across this in an unused storeroom in a basement of a building.

Fortunately, we were able to let the right person know about it and it will be finding a new home soon.

The interesting thing is, the slab of redwood was from the 1893 exhibition, but the carving appears to have been done in the 1930s.
Was the carving possibly done to be part of the Century of Progress International Exposition in the 30s?
101010 :towel:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

There are two parts to the art work. The large slab that is entirely carved, and the smaller, longer plank in front with the inscription.

Both artists listed on the plank were associated with the Federal Arts Project (WPA) in Chicago. Freund was somewhat more famous, but Sarnak was associated with some of the carved panels at Lane Tech.

I have become somewhat of a connoisseur of WPA art in CPS buildings. There is a lot out there.

As far as I can tell this was in created between 1936 and 1938. The world's fair in Chicago was between '33 and'34. There is an oral history at the Smithsonian that was recorded by Freund a few years before his death where he talks about this period, maybe it would shed some light. I should request a copy of the transcript.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 pm There are two parts to the art work. The large slab that is entirely carved, and the smaller, longer plank in front with the inscription.

Both artists listed on the plank were associated with the Federal Arts Project (WPA) in Chicago. Freund was somewhat more famous, but Sarnak was associated with some of the carved panels at Lane Tech.

I have become somewhat of a connoisseur of WPA art in CPS buildings. There is a lot out there.

As far as I can tell this was in created between 1936 and 1938. The world's fair in Chicago was between '33 and'34. There is an oral history at the Smithsonian that was recorded by Freund a few years before his death where he talks about this period, maybe it would shed some light. I should request a copy of the transcript.
Thanks... I figured you might have more interesting info.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Another one. Poor Frank Gunsaulus, relegated to the basement fan room.

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Bored in the pandemic, she made art by bruising bananas. Now she has an international following.
Anna Chojnicka .png
Anna Chojnicka .png (133.64 KiB) Viewed 6923 times
Anna Chojnicka was bored as she quarantined last year in her London apartment because of a suspected case of covid-19. She was so bored that she absent-mindedly picked up a banana on her kitchen table and started running her fork along the outside of the peel.

The dark lines that appeared on the peel looked interesting to her, and she watched as the marks gradually got darker. She continued doodling and was soon fascinated. She drew eyes, a nose and a mouth and — satisfied with how it looked — decided to see how far she could go with it.

She drew an abstract pattern, then a profile in shadow.

Chojnicka, 35, started making pictures that were more and more intricate using the same method — only pressure, no paint — until she sketched an Ethiopian coffee pot and cup. Her new hobby was born.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... rt-sketch/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OK, that is just awesome. I write on bananas using a toothpick. I write "POISON" or "TOXIC" or "UH OH!" but after a few days I eat the one I wrote on. :blackeye:

The payoff came this week when my #2 son asked ol' Wifehorn, "Why do you always buy the bananas with writing on them?" :confuzzled:

But that lady has more artistic talent in her little finger than I have in my whole body. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

People and institutions shove all kinds of things down into the basement...and forget all about them until chili and his crew rediscover them. When we lived in Monrovia, the high school sent a crew of teachers down to the storage basement, to which no one had been in decades, to clean it out, they were that desperate for space. They found an entire museum, literally, down there.

At one point in the past the city took over the small historical museum from the non-profit that ran it until the founder died. The new curators wanted the museum to reflect their perspective so out nearly everything went (except for Gen. Patton’s war stove. A Monrovia’s had been his personal cook/ butler. I didn’t know there were such things!)

Also, too, someone found a mural painted in 1940 rolled up in a city storage warehouse that became the adult school’s pottery studio. Bears and bear cubs are a recurring theme for the city.

Are you doing your part for the future? Put something exotically cool in your basement for the next generation to excavate! 😁
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Sometimes you find really creepy stuffs…. Like that bunch of creepy old shoes we found in a sealed up part of the attic over the old porch in our 200+ y/o house. I posted about them on the old forum back when we found them. Apparently it's an old Pagan belief that of all the garments you wear you’re shoes are the one thing to take on something of yourself; they take the shape of your foot. So if you put your old shoes in the attics or under the floors they can stand in for you and protect you from ghosts and evil spirits.
► Show Spoiler
Attachments
IMG_9287.jpg
IMG_9287.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 6897 times

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”