Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:30 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:28 pm I just attended Immersive Van Gogh in Dallas. Go see it if you get a chance!
Tickets with my granddaughter, November 11. :thumbsup:
I've seen Van Gogh exhibitions before since I lived in WDC, but I really want to see this. I asked the kid about me flying over to see the exhibition with me. He and his partner had already seen it, but was happy for me to visit. We miss each other. Then the covid numbers erupted again, much of it relating to flying off island. :( I hope to be able to see it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I hope you get to, too, Lani. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

A sorrowful Frida Kahlo self-portrait which shows her cheating husband, Diego Rivera, in the centre of her forehead, is expected to smash auction records as it becomes the most valuable work of Latin American art ever publicly offered for sale.

Sotheby’s announced on Wednesday it was offering for sale a 1949 painting titled Diego y yo (Diego and I) with an estimate in excess of $30m.

If it achieves anywhere near that it will break the Latin American artist auction record, currently held by a painting of Rivera’s.

Aside from the eye-spinning price and the talk of records, the painting itself is a fascinating one, shining light on the Mexican artist and her tumultuous relationship with Rivera.
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... on-records
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Fish Art!!!!

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Lani wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm Fish Art!!!!

Wow! I'm saving a link to that for my grand brats, I'll have them on Monday and they love stuff like that!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:06 pm Fish Art!!!!

https ://twitter.com/i/status/1439446552259358720
Thanks. That's amazing.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I confess to watching it 3 times. :oopsy: What a beautiful mandala!
Tiredretiredlawyer

I just sent it to my grandgurlzz! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I can just see the lady Japanese puffer fish when she gets a load of that masterpiece.

"Oh, Bobby! You made that for little ol' me? You're amazing! You're so awesome! You're my favorite Japanese puffer fish ever!"

:batting: :lovestruck:

'Course, they can't roll around on the bed having sex, they'll mess up the artwork! :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

those are the fish that make such great sushi aren't they? Just make sure they are properly prepared or else it will kill you?

Maybe that is another kind of puffer fish though.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

The video caused me to think of the wonder of watching how various birds can manoeuvre with their amazing skills developed over the ages. I’ve seen film of whales, dolphins, flying fish, and many others, but it’s stunning a fish could develop such an intricate behaviour.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hubs will not be pleased to learn the bar was just raised by a tiny little fish.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

WOW!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Atomic veil to save fading Van Gogh sunflowers
Tom Whipple, Science Editor
Monday October 18 2021, 12.01am BST, The Times

Vincent van Gogh’s sunflowers are wilting. Each time a photon of light hits the paint on the petals, there is a chance of it sparking a reaction. After 130 years of photons there have been many chances — the sunflowers are now withered and faded.

A graphene film could have protected them, scientists have found. Researchers inspired by the plight of Van Gogh’s paintings have shown that spraying an atom-thick film of the carbon can block damage from sunlight while remaining invisible.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/atom ... -sn9hqw8xh
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer

COOOLLLL!!!!!! :clap: :lovestruck:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Renaissance Paintings re-imagined by Mechanics:

auto1.jpg
auto1.jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
auto2.jpg
auto2.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
auto12.jpg
auto12.jpg (99.54 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:like:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://mymodernmet.com/agnieszka-niena ... rm=forever
What appears to be a photograph of a girl showing off her Hieronymus Bosch-inspired tattoo isn't a photo at all. It's actually an incredible oil painting by Polish artist Agnieszka Nienartowicz. Graduating just two years ago from the Fine Arts Academy of Gdańsk, she demonstrates incredible skill at her craft. This particular painting combines the work of Hieronymus Bosch, a forefather of the Northern Renaissance, with tattoo art for a decidedly contemporary feel.

Interestingly, the piece, which shares a title with Bosch's iconic The Garden of Earthly Delights, was first conceived of in Nienartowicz's own private reflections. With a deep interest in man's internal emotions and conflicts, she found the 15th-century painting as a perfect vehicle to convey her message. “Humans are full of contrasts and contradictions, they want to do good and instead they do evil,” the artist shares with My Modern Met. “I was thinking about human nature, about sin and the will of evil which are inscribed in our being, like written inside us. And then I connected it with the Bosch's triptych, which speaks of human nature. I love this painting, it is so strange, weird and beautiful at the same time.”
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Brava!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
The statue of a doctor who experimented on enslaved women still stands in Alabama. But now there’s also a monument to his victims.

Michelle Browder is a Black artist and activist who runs a civil rights tour company called More Than Tours — so named, she says, because "it's an experience."

Still, no historic site on the tour riles Browder as much as a statue on the lawn of the Alabama State House. Not the one honoring Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy and defender of slavery. It’s the one across the lawn, commemorating a 19th-century physician most people have never heard of: J. Marion Sims, the so-called “father of modern gynecology.”

In the mid-1840s, Sims performed torturous experimental surgeries on approximately 10 enslaved young Black women, without anesthesia or their consent. (He sought consent from their owners.) An enslaver himself, Sims was credited with curing a distressing and humiliating complication of childbirth known as “vesicovaginal fistula” — a hole between the bladder and vagina — and developing other gynecological procedures and tools, including a type of speculum.

In recent years his legacy has been scrutinized by scholars and debunked. They’ve noted that the type of speculum he claimed to invent had long been in use by others and that some of procedures he utilized were not really his, or were dangerous. Many have also decried the racism and sexism inherent in Black women being used as test subjects.

Others have linked the story to the national debate over monuments to Confederate history: Protesters successfully lobbied for another statue of Sims to be removed from New York’s Central Park in 2018.
► Show Spoiler
imrs.jpeg
imrs.jpeg (188.32 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”