Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Estiveo
Verified:

Re: Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Post by Estiveo »

Deer will eat anything if forage in the wild gets thin. Then they'll keep coming back for it year after year because deer are creatures of habit.

Estiveo's Mom had her yard at a previous house landscaped with "deer proof" plants as the house was right up against the hills. Then the drought came, and then the hungry deer followed.

After the drought broke, and the hills were lush with yummy wild rye & other deer delicacies, those cervine assholes would traipse right through all that deer food and munch on the Rhaphiolepis & Ceanothus blossoms that deer aren't supposed to like if other food is available.

Estiveo's Mom finally snapped one night, hopped in her car, and chased "those goddam fucking deer" back up to the end of the street and into the hills, high beams flashing & horn blaring, much to the delight of the neighbors at 2:00 AM.

The deer were back the next night.
Image Image Image Image
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Laughing. Out. Loud.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:57 pm We used to have lots of day lilies, too. But something ate off all the blooms before they opened, too. I thought it might have been the deer, but it surprised me because the deer have been around here forever, but left them alone for a long time.
Same here, the green leaves still grow but the buds must have become like deer crack cocaine because we've not had a single bloom in 3/4 years! It's very distressing because I always looked forward to the driveway busting out in springtime blooms.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:42 pm Laughing. Out. Loud.
Yeah that! :lol:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:30 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:57 pm We used to have lots of day lilies, too. But something ate off all the blooms before they opened, too. I thought it might have been the deer, but it surprised me because the deer have been around here forever, but left them alone for a long time.
Same here, the green leaves still grow but the buds must have become like deer crack cocaine because we've not had a single bloom in 3/4 years! It's very distressing because I always looked forward to the driveway busting out in springtime blooms.
How often do you divide them? My back hurts just thinking about trying to get in that mass with a shovel.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm
How often do you divide them? My back hurts just thinking about trying to get in that mass with a shovel.
We use to do a clean up every spring because there are sooo many all the way down both sides of the fence to the house, we still have folks come and dig them up to take to their yards.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:49 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm

We use to do a clean up every spring because there are sooo many all the way down both sides of the fence to the house, we still have folks come and dig them up to take to their yards.
Invite them back! Offer them a shovel! Daylilies quit blooming if they don't get divided periodically.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Last year's garden was a WTH am I doing and this isn't Patagonia or Panama year. But beginners NW Ohio luck. And lessons learned.

Pounds and pounds of lettuce, no matter the various types, were overwhelming. This year I'll stagger my plantings.

Not enough spinach. Never enough. Or Basil.

The okra and pickling cucumbers worked well for canning. I'll be doing that again but add more cukes.

Less Hubbard squash. MUCH less.

I bought white radishes, purple tomatillos, a mixed of hot peppers and Mexican Lemon cucumbers. Some Beefsteak tomato, snow peas, arugula, herbs to plant around the house.

I have some heirloom sunflowers that originally came from my grandparents farm that I will carry on with. Mostly for birdies.

Last but not least, Hills Giant Pumpkin! They claim 200-300 pound beasts. Ten seeds were $6.

My mint has re-emerged and wild as it is, the spinach from last year planted next to it has re-emerged and growing. I have no idea how that happens.

Mother's Day here is the old farmers day for transplanting and getting it all going. Now, to find out how to stop the poison ivy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:15 am Or Basil.

Anybody who grows basil ought to read Man Of Two Worlds by Frank Herbert and his son, Brian.

So much fun with basil!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday. Mrs. V. and our daughter discussing more plants for our new corner garden.

The patio bed.

Our trees survived the Big Freeze. :biggrin:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:thumbsup:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mulch we must! :biggrin:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our corner bed is done. :biggrin:

Pots on a wall.

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

That wall is lovely.

Whatcha got in the pots, and what's in the bed?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Very nice, Volkonski! :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:43 pm That wall is lovely.

Whatcha got in the pots, and what's in the bed?
The long pots have marigolds. The round pots have ivy.

The bed has 4 rose bushes, a rosemary bush, daisies, butterfly bushes and some others I can't recall. :oopsy:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m 3/4 done with the rose bed in front. I still need to edge the bed and mulch, and set the stepping stones. The weather’s been perfect for planting this week - overcast, in the 60s mostly.

Theres a trellis off to the right that has a baby orange bougainvillea growing under it and a matching one around the corner against the back wall. Among the roses are lavenders and society garlic, both regular and a new variety called Purplicious :lol: that also has pale purple leaves mixed in. I’ll find a few more things to tuck here and there.
BCDD22D3-C94A-45E1-9A15-5C4E46AA3DB4.jpeg
BCDD22D3-C94A-45E1-9A15-5C4E46AA3DB4.jpeg (43.86 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
51899370-B9C4-45D3-BD72-B1CD16009809.jpeg
51899370-B9C4-45D3-BD72-B1CD16009809.jpeg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
01F84E91-AF54-48BF-803F-FD5167FE2010.jpeg
01F84E91-AF54-48BF-803F-FD5167FE2010.jpeg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
CB4D68B5-FD68-47BC-9DFD-FD577F97671D.jpeg
CB4D68B5-FD68-47BC-9DFD-FD577F97671D.jpeg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate, that’s lovely!

You were the last person I travelled to see before covid. That was late Feb -Early March 2020. Covid was a thing then, even in the US, but it wasn’t yet a pandemic.

I can’t wait to come see you and your lovely garden again!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Nice yard Mr V. I like how someone used steel posts for your fence instead of 4x4's. Those last much longer.

The ice storm literally tore down a lot of trees around here. The birch that collapsed to it's death on top of my truck is gone. My neighbors and I had it cut up and ready for removal that week along with a lot of others. We had massive piles in the street. The stump grinder came through about a month ago. He made quick work of it, but left a damn mess everywhere: large piles of churned dirt and wood chips. It took me a couple days to restack the dirt where the birch used to be. Last weekend I transplanted a volunteer peony, some day lilies, some Stars of Bethlehem, purple bearded iris, and six hardy geraniums. Zero death so far, but day lilies are showing shock. The peony has two flower heads forming. I'll post pictures later.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Picture goodness of the new peony bed. And some bonus pictures of the columbine and geums.
Attachments
20210425_columbine.jpg
20210425_columbine.jpg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
20210425_geum.jpg
20210425_geum.jpg (132.24 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
20210425_front stump.jpg
20210425_front stump.jpg (140.1 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
20210425_new peony bed.jpg
20210425_new peony bed.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

And my real pride and joy - the compost pile. I dug out a bunch of finished product for the tomatoe bed which created new space for the bin. The giant hosta has migrated into the compost pile. It loves it, and it can stay this year. But, it needs to be transplanted.
Attachments
20210425_compost 1.jpg
20210425_compost 1.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20210425_compost pile 2.jpg
20210425_compost pile 2.jpg (132.67 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:29 pm And my real pride and joy - the compost pile. I dug out a bunch of finished product for the tomato bed which created new space for the bin. The giant hosta has migrated into the compost pile. It loves it, and it can stay this year. But, it needs to be transplanted.
Would you like a horse or two? I have access to several well-aged manure piles, and it's lovely stuff :lol: .
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 pm Would you like a horse or two? I have access to several well-aged manure piles, and it's lovely stuff :lol: .
Yes, but I'm in the burbs on a quarter acre. Not enough to support a horse. Their bisquits do make nice stuff especially if the pile had a good BSF population. Do you have a manure spreader?
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 am
Azastan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 pm Would you like a horse or two? I have access to several well-aged manure piles, and it's lovely stuff :lol: .
Yes, but I'm in the burbs on a quarter acre. Not enough to support a horse. Their bisquits do make nice stuff especially if the pile had a good BSF population. Do you have a manure spreader?
I do have a manure spreader! In the winter it's too wet out in the pastures to use, so I have a manure pile as well.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:46 am I do have a manure spreader! In the winter it's too wet out in the pastures to use, so I have a manure pile as well.
Ah, the joys of cleaning stalls and stacking it in the aisle so the old man could get it with the tractor. My lower back aches just thinking about it. In my younger years I worked dairy. Bucked hay in the summer. Good times.

Return to “General Stuff”