Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 pm The city recently put in our sewer system so we made the big switch from well/septic to city water. You could always tell where the laterals were because of the lush green, taller than the rest of the yard, grass.

(sigh)
That suggests they weren't very deep. OTOH, you always blame any odors on the bayou.

Hey's what's this soft dirt right here, and why is the ground bouncy?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not surprised at all. The well wasn't deep enough either.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kate520 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 am Or you could hire a dowser. :mrgreen:
One of the ladies in the club suggested that, and she has actually has experience in it... when she was a kid her dad called in a dowser to find water on their property and they did. The dowser then let her and her sister try it, and it worked for her but not her sister.

Trouble is we aren't looking for water and there are pipes in every hole I dig. We are trying to find the water VALVE, which SHOULD be halfway between the two popups (but isn't) without digging up every inch of pipe.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith

Post by keith »

FOUND IT! :cheer2:

Its under some kind of plastic cover "they" put over it, but its there. I ain't diggin' no mo'. Its up to the pros now. I'm guessing its just a bad corroded wire connection - but I'm not farting around anymore.

Also in the hole I found their discarded plastic coke bottle top, and the original coil that has already been replaced once (and by the looks of it replumbed as well!) - AND THEY DIDN"T LEAVE A MAP OF HOW TO FIND THE DARN THING FOR THE NEXT POOR SOD THAT HAD TO GO LOOKING FOR IT. :fuckyou:

LKG:LHE OEV:UHD:KUYT:OEKIJ:ADHW!!!!! Rasasnap!

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:thumbsup:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: nobody told you to look in the archives for the map :?:
piratetreasuremap.jpg
piratetreasuremap.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:21 am FOUND IT! :cheer2:

Its under some kind of plastic cover "they" put over it, but its there. I ain't diggin' no mo'. Its up to the pros now. I'm guessing its just a bad corroded wire connection - but I'm not farting around anymore.

Also in the hole I found their discarded plastic coke bottle top, and the original coil that has already been replaced once (and by the looks of it replumbed as well!) - AND THEY DIDN"T LEAVE A MAP OF HOW TO FIND THE DARN THING FOR THE NEXT POOR SOD THAT HAD TO GO LOOKING FOR IT. :fuckyou:

LKG:LHE OEV:UHD:KUYT:OEKIJ:ADHW!!!!! Rasasnap!

I swear irrigation guys do not know how to do waterproof buried connections. They don't have any love for gel filled armored cable either. They use plain old twin strand and twist locks with a little tape. Maybe they are looking forward to the future service call when it fails in the next decade.

PS: don't understand your acronym salad.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Still think he should have used an $18K ground-penetrating radar. He could have found Hoffa's body (since the Mythbusters failed with one in the Meadowlands), the lost city of Atlantis, and whatever the heck Geraldo was looking for in that hotel basement. All he got was a bottle cap which probably didn't even have the winning numbers on the inside.

Explosives would have been more fun but potentially counterproductive.
101010 :towel:
keith

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:43 am
I swear irrigation guys do not know how to do waterproof buried connections. They don't have any love for gel filled armored cable either. They use plain old twin strand and twist locks with a little tape. Maybe they are looking forward to the future service call when it fails in the next decade.

PS: don't understand your acronym salad.
Yeah, from the looks of the wires attached to the old solenoid, they were just attached with a bit of a twist and some black electricians tape. Really really lazy.

When I repaired the wires on another solenoid a couple of years ago, I crimped a spade connector onto the wires, then tested it, then squirted "Liquid Tape" onto it, let it dry, then wrapped each wire individually with black tape, then wrapped the two wires together, then piled the bricks back into the hole to leave a protective void around it (ain't no shovel gonna get to 'em), then threw the dirt back in. By Spagetti Monster that join isn't gonna corrode away this century.

Edit: Oh. Wait. Maybe I did use twist locks (I call them "wire nuts" - I guess we're talking the same thing). But I did fill them up with liquid tape though. I am not digging it up to confirm what kind of connector I used.
keith

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:03 am Explosives would have been more fun but potentially counterproductive.
One of the members suggested a back hoe trenching machine.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:30 am
Yeah, from the looks of the wires attached to the old solenoid, they were just attached with a bit of a twist and some black electricians tape. Really really lazy.

When I repaired the wires on another solenoid a couple of years ago, I crimped a spade connector onto the wires, then tested it, then squirted "Liquid Tape" onto it, let it dry, then wrapped each wire individually with black tape, then wrapped the two wires together, then piled the bricks back into the hole to leave a protective void around it (ain't no shovel gonna get to 'em), then threw the dirt back in. By Spagetti Monster that join isn't gonna corrode away this century.

Edit: Oh. Wait. Maybe I did use twist locks (I call them "wire nuts" - I guess we're talking the same thing). But I did fill them up with liquid tape though. I am not digging it up to confirm what kind of connector I used.
There are gel filled wire nuts intended for buried service. Work good. Last a long time.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby loved the Epic Solenoid Search! He worked at Genesis Data Com which installs structured cabling and fiber optic cabling including underground work. He exclaimed, "$250 an hour!!!!! For sprinklers??!!!" He is a former building contractor who thinks green concrete is a beautiful lawn. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 am There are gel filled wire nuts intended for buried service. Work good. Last a long time.
Or, you could make any cheap wire nut into a gel filled one. liquid electrical tape
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Meh. They make gel-filled butt splices too, also. When I was doing avionics installations we had heat shrinkable butt splices with solder in the center that melted when you hit them with your heat gun.
Il factotum
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:02 pm They make gel-filled butt splices too, also.
:eek:
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:29 am
zekeb wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:02 pm They make gel-filled butt splices too, also.
The biz is full of double entendres.

My question has always been if we have Jacks, how come we don't have Jills?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

change approved.png
change approved.png (39.68 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:29 am
northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:29 am
The biz is full of double entendres.

My question has always been if we have Jacks, how come we don't have Jills?
Ideal makes the best bug nuts. I ordered some when I had to change my garage door sensors.
Il factotum
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:08 am He is a former building contractor who thinks green concrete is a beautiful lawn. :biggrin:
Are you saying that he's not correct in this thinking... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I like green concrete tennis courts. Back in the last century I would have loved my very own tennis court even in my front yard. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I get a rare day to work on the yard. Except for watering, and a single lawn mowing, everything has been on auto-pilot. I'll walk that back a bit. I have plucked some cucumbers, beans, peas, and herbs. That 120F weather we had a few weeks back killed off the potato tops. I pulled all of them, really soaked the bed, and replanted. Got lots of new potatoes out of that. But overall, the garden didn't really need my help. It was fine being kinda ignored for a month.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

The dahlias are starting to bloom!

This is Granny Norman. The American Dahlia Society describes this flower as B sized, a Laciniated Cactus, light blend.
Granny Norman July 18 2021.jpg
Granny Norman July 18 2021.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:lovestruck:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dahlias, one of my favorites after gardenias. Unfortunately, living in the woods, I can't grow either.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Granny Norman :lovestruck:
Thanks Azastan :lovestruck:

Return to “General Stuff”