Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Post by northland10 »

Well, this topic's turned into a bunch of crap.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am Well, this topic's turned into a bunch of crap.
:)

But, it does amaze me how many people pay for fertilizer and amendments to make their garden look great, and then truck it to the curb each week after they do some yard work. Circle of life.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

northland10 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am Well, this topic's turned into a bunch of crap.
That's what makes things grow!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

IMG_1664.jpg
IMG_1664.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Snowball bush to which I conduct a pilgrimage every spring. This is about one half mile from my house.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Spring is purple at my house. First irises to bloom and native spider sorts. Excuse the mess. We haven't done outside maintenance yet.
IMG_1672.jpg
IMG_1672.jpg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
IMG_1675.jpg
IMG_1675.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
IMG_1676.jpg
IMG_1676.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am IMG_1664.jpgIMG_1665.jpg

Snowball bush to which I conduct a pilgrimage every spring. This is about one half mile from my house.
My mom had one that size in her front yard. I loved it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:08 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am IMG_1664.jpgIMG_1665.jpg

My mom had one that size in her front yard. I loved it.
:biggrin:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Love those spider things, trl. Irises too.

Maybenaut ANY TIME ! :bighug: But not first week of June!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I love spiderwort and have them all over the yard. They are considered invasive here so people tend to mow them down or dig them up but I just move them to a better place when they volunteer somewhere they aren't supposed to be.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm doing a little unlandscaping. We have an area in the middle of the front yard, circled by cement curbs that has lava rock, a hibiscus bush and an annoying ornamental tree that isn't at all ornamental. I've replaced the fabric under the rock twice in the past eight years, laying it 2-3 layers thick, and still the weeds get through. It's Florida. Anything will grow, even though it's sand.

We're relocating the bush to the back, pulling up the fabric and the curbs and going to lay sod. I can't keep up with the weeding and refuse to use Round-up.

Speaking of fertilizer, here in southern Florida, we've been dealing with red tide all winter, usually a summer problem but the gulf is so warm these days, it's year-round now. And the green algae, which was somewhat under control after they starting banning certain types of fertilizer, is on it's way down the river from Lake O.

So before getting a chance to recover from the pandemic crunch, water-front businesses are going straight into smelly dead marine animals on the beach season.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Should I ever wind up owning a house, I'm replacing all the plants in the yard with plastic ones and the grass with astro turf... :smoking:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:24 pm Should I ever wind up owning a house, I'm replacing all the plants in the yard with plastic ones and the grass with astro turf... :smoking:
As an impressionable youth of around 7 years old, I remember walking to the local Brownie meetings and having to pass a xeriscaped yard on the way there. Since this was in southern California, the plants consisted of cactus, the 'lawn' was sand, and there was a fibreglass rattlesnake keeping an eye on everything.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They do have something here called Florida landscaping which is just sand with a few environmentally friendly plants. Apparently your HOA can't force you to abandon it but you do have to post a sign acknowledging your landscaping choices so they can't hassle you.

When my son lived in Phoenix, his yard was decorative rock with a few cacti. Every few weeks, he'd rake the rocks and pull anything that popped up.

All the neighbors have services that come out and spray chemicals on their yards and post a sign to stay off for 24 hours. But nobody pays attention, especially when walking their dogs. I should study this but I've always wondered if the constant use of those chemicals on yard after yard after.... has contributed to what seems to be an increase in cancer in dogs.

We don't do that either. Yes, we have lots of dollar weed mixed in with what they call grass down here (a long grass-like vine) but it's still green and it stays low to the ground so I don't care.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

My favorite time of year in Fla. Can't reproduce the scent -- or the scent of the gardenia bush in full bloom. I'm in heaven.

These babies are two years old. I have six -- all with lotsa blooms. Next year I expect to see some woody growth. Let's grow, boys!
Frangipani.jpg
Frangipani.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:24 pm Should I ever wind up owning a house, I'm replacing all the plants in the yard with plastic ones and the grass with astro turf... :smoking:
You're a level up from Hubby. He wants a concrete yard. He is willing to paint or pour it green though. :cantlook:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:32 pm My favorite time of year in Fla. Can't reproduce the scent -- or the scent of the gardenia bush in full bloom. I'm in heaven.

These babies are two years old. I have six -- all with lotsa blooms. Next year I expect to see some woody growth. Let's grow, boys!

Frangipani.jpg
Hands down, my favorite scented flower. I can't grow them as I live in the woods. Next favorite, orchids. I have three in the kitchen window in bloom right now.

When I was growing up, my father always bought us gardenia corsages for Easter Sunday to wear to church.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:06 pm
You're a level up from Hubby. He wants a concrete yard. He is willing to paint or pour it green though. :cantlook:
That was thoughtful of him :batting:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Our front yard is mostly asphalt. Lots of parking, tho...
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 pm
Our front yard is mostly asphalt. Lots of parking, tho...
Was it a commercial building at some point?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

It was originally a small souvenir/gift shop. It got added on to over the years. The owner two owners ago turned it into a B&B. The previous owners to us thought they’d run it as a B&B also, but didn’t care much for the idea of strangers sleeping in their house. They tried (unsuccessfully for many years) to sell the place. They’re the ones who paved the parking area, thinking it would help to sell the place (it didn’t).

This place is 5,000 sq ft of weird. We wouldn’t have looked twice at it except: It borders our cabin property, and it’s got the most incredible view. We’re on the east side of a mountain, the view is to the East-Southeast. On the other side of the valley is Shenandoah National Park.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I mowed the pastures today, and potted up more dahlias. I have over 325 pots of dahlias. I also have a long driveway, which is mostly in full sun, and borders my neighbour's arena.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:o
Three hundred and twenty five? :faint:
Gloryoski, Azastan! How do you stand all the beauty? Do horses eat them?

I think I may become that way with begonias. I got some tubers this year, “Fragrant Falls” peach and lemon, and have them in hanging baskets near the back door. I already have a couple of angel wings and a rare one from Veracruz MX that was there when we bought our last house. I don’t really care for the landscape variety; I go more for the showy rex begonias.

Can you post some bloomin’ pics of your dahlias? :mrgreen:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 am :o
Three hundred and twenty five? :faint:
Gloryoski, Azastan! How do you stand all the beauty? Do horses eat them?

I think I may become that way with begonias. I got some tubers this year, “Fragrant Falls” peach and lemon, and have them in hanging baskets near the back door. I already have a couple of angel wings and a rare one from Veracruz MX that was there when we bought our last house. I don’t really care for the landscape variety; I go more for the showy rex begonias.

Can you post some bloomin’ pics of your dahlias? :mrgreen:
The horses don't eat them, but they have been known to attempt to eat them by pulling them out of the ground only to discover that they aren't nearly as appetizing as they look.

Begonias are lovely, but wouldn't survive for long here without being in a greenhouse.

One of my favourites, this is Macallister's Pride:
Macalister's Pride 2.jpg
Macalister's Pride 2.jpg (272.32 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Those are gorgeous! My sister is a flower farmer. She grows dahlias from seeds.

I’ve had good luck growing dandelions and kudzu, but not much else. :lol:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 am Those are gorgeous! My sister is a flower farmer. She grows dahlias from seeds.

I’ve had good luck growing dandelions and kudzu, but not much else. :lol:
I am good at buttercups (wet, acidic soil) but they are slowly going away after 10 years of management.

I saved seeds from this beauty and have planted them. Have no idea what to expect, though, since they were bee pollinated. This is Mars:
Mars.jpg
Mars.jpg (242.47 KiB) Viewed 2426 times

Return to “General Stuff”