Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Gardening and Lawn Maintenance

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck:
Thanks. I love dahlias too but I’ve not had much luck with them. Maybe too hot here.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Got the main veggie bed, lettuce bed, and tomatoe bed all tilled today.
Attachments
20210502_garden tilled.jpg
20210502_garden tilled.jpg (290.86 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Wish my tilled beds looked like that! My neighbour, who has a tractor with a rototiller attachment, tried to till my dahlia bed today. My bed is too deep! We had to use the manual rototiller on it.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I mowed grass today for the first time in almost 30 years.

Maybelot has quite a bit of grass. We got a Stihl battery-operated mower that uses the same batteries as our chainsaw and leaf-blower.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I am so jealous. I used to do some serious vegetable gardening. I had a huge garden at my house in Melbourne and there was something about the soil there that really made my veggie gardening super successful. My mom started calling me "the farmer" after she came over one day and looked out the back window. I have lots of photos of that garden on my Facebook page. I guess they are still there.
Off Topic
I quit using Facebook in 2016 after it came out that paid Facebook employees worked with the Trump campaign during normal working hours to maximize his reach on Facebook. Zuckerberg can kiss my ass. End of off-topic rant.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:58 pm Wish my tilled beds looked like that! My neighbour, who has a tractor with a rototiller attachment, tried to till my dahlia bed today. My bed is too deep! We had to use the manual rototiller on it.
This dirt is 20 years in the making. That was all pea gravel and swing set for the kids. By high school and the Bush43 administration, they had cars and no desire to go back there anymore. I put a tiller to it, and bent a tine. A pile of railroad ties, some chainsaw time, and lots of wheelbarrow love later, we had the beginnings of a veggie bed. Manures of all kinds, sand, compost, compost, and more compost have turned the awful fill dirt we have into something that actually grows stuff.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

From the stuff of nightmares to the stuff of dreams! I bet it has perfect drainage with that pea gravel in there.
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

As usual I started too many Tomato seeds and now I have a few extra plants. (3-4 each of Brandywine, San Marzano, Sungold & Carmello.)

If anyone in the Cleveland/Akron area would like some please let me know - I'm willing to deliver them.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I got my first strawberries out of the garden last night. Neeners.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Why is it that there is no such fucking thing as a garden hose nozzle that doesn't fucking leak? Apparently it doesn't matter how much money you spend on the fucking thing because every one of them is GUARANTEED TO FUCKING LEAK! :evil: Has anyone ever found one that didn't?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:35 am Why is it that there is no such fucking thing as a garden hose nozzle that doesn't fucking leak? Apparently it doesn't matter how much money you spend on the fucking thing because every one of them is GUARANTEED TO FUCKING LEAK! :evil: Has anyone ever found one that didn't?
I have a cheap plastic one that works fairly well. Does yours leak at the hose or at the nozzle? Sometimes you need two washers if it leaks at the hose.
Il factotum
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

+1

Without pipe dope or teflon tape at the spigot, mine usually drip a teeny bit.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:35 am Why is it that there is no such fucking thing as a garden hose nozzle that doesn't fucking leak? Apparently it doesn't matter how much money you spend on the fucking thing because every one of them is GUARANTEED TO FUCKING LEAK! :evil: Has anyone ever found one that didn't?
I feel your pain. Especially awful when its early spring. Flannel shirt sleeves are great for absorption.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I dont remember if I shared this before the great tragedy, or after our newly launched FB. Anywhoo.

I purchased a packet of Dills Giant Atlantic Pumpkin seeds. 10 for 7$. The idea was that my brother in Nashville, my brother in Greenville, Ohio, and me in NW Ohio would all plant three seeds and see who can grow the biggest pumpkin. The average weight claimed by Dills is 200-300 pounds but it is reported they can reach 1000 pounds.

Then, evil got ahold of me and I sent seeds from ordinary pumpkins to baby bro; other bro and I are growing the real ones. Baby bro always light-heartedly tries to one up other bro and me. I absolutely expect he will go out and BUY a giant pumpkin at the end of season. I'm excited.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

My grandkids tried to grow some of those last year, it produced exactly one pumpkin that got almost as big as a basketball and then promptly rotted on the vine.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

zekeb wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:45 am I have a cheap plastic one that works fairly well. Does yours leak at the hose or at the nozzle? Sometimes you need two washers if it leaks at the hose.
Both
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 am
zekeb wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:45 am I have a cheap plastic one that works fairly well. Does yours leak at the hose or at the nozzle? Sometimes you need two washers if it leaks at the hose.
Both
I have hoses that are over ten years old and doing fine *except* for a teeny bit of dripping at the hose bib. But, I replace the washers every other year or so. They harden over the winter, and don't seat well after a couple years. I get five packs at the hardware store.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I also use these garden hose brass quick release doodads on all my hoses, sprayers, and sprinklers. They allow you to swivel the hose without the straining the end.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I remember you talking about the ginormous pumpkins but not the brothers thing.

:daydreaming: That’s a great prank, pg!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:45 pm I also use these garden hose brass quick release doodads on all my hoses, sprayers, and sprinklers. They allow you to swivel the hose without the straining the end.
MrD likes those quick connects too, I'll have to see if he has any of those washers in his workshop.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:18 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:45 pm I also use these garden hose brass quick release doodads on all my hoses, sprayers, and sprinklers. They allow you to swivel the hose without the straining the end.
MrD likes those quick connects too, I'll have to see if he has any of those washers in his workshop.
When I have to use a nozzle on a hose that doesn't have a quick connect, I get consternated. The hose just doesn't cooperate.
much ado

Post by much ado »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 am
Both
If it leaks at the hose, make sure that the end of the hose metal screw-in part is perfectly flat without nicks or bumps. If not, use a fine metal file to make it smooth. If the hose end is flat and seats tightly against the washer, no teflon is necessary. It will not leak. Any leakage at the hose is due to a problem at the hose end and washer connection.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:07 am I dont remember if I shared this before the great tragedy, or after our newly launched FB. Anywhoo.

I purchased a packet of Dills Giant Atlantic Pumpkin seeds. 10 for 7$. The idea was that my brother in Nashville, my brother in Greenville, Ohio, and me in NW Ohio would all plant three seeds and see who can grow the biggest pumpkin. The average weight claimed by Dills is 200-300 pounds but it is reported they can reach 1000 pounds.

Then, evil got ahold of me and I sent seeds from ordinary pumpkins to baby bro; other bro and I are growing the real ones. Baby bro always light-heartedly tries to one up other bro and me. I absolutely expect he will go out and BUY a giant pumpkin at the end of season. I'm excited.
:rotflmao:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Patagonia Girl- Your family sounds like mine!! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Help.

After a tree was cut down, Hubs kept the wood because he wanted to build a firepit. The pit never happened and now the pile of wood is overgrown with grass and weeds. I've been trimming up the trees and bushes in that general area this morning and just have the wood pile left. Hubs warned me, before heading to work, that the wood pile may have snakes in it. So, what are my options other than setting the whole thing on fire?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “General Stuff”