Rest in Peace

Estiveo

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Estiveo »

Erin Moran, Joanie from Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi, dies at 56.
Image Image Image Image Image

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Estiveo wrote:Erin Moran, Joanie from Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi, dies at 56.
Holy shit
The California-born actress, who also starred in “Happy Days” spinoff “Joanie Loves Chachi” opposite Scott Baio, had fallen on hard times in recent years. She was reportedly kicked out of her trailer park home in Indiana, according to tabloid reports, because of her hard-partying ways.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl= ... pt0-779330

A trailer park in Indiana is about as far down as you can fall.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Well, for someone who had the money and opportunity Ern had. But really, the "trailer park" shaming offends me. I lived in a trailer park because that was all I could manage as much darling was dying.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Patagoniagirl wrote:Well, for someone who had the money and opportunity Ern had. But really, the "trailer park" shaming offends me. I lived in a trailer park because that was all I could manage as much darling was dying.

My apologies then.

I googled up the location, and surprisingly, for Indiana, the park doesn't look all that bad.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.325853, ... a=!3m1!1e3

(I have had to do work in Indiana in the past, and while parts of the state are nice, a lot of it is . . . i'll just stop there.)

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Housing in Connecticut is a tad expensive, the more so the nearer the ocean. UConn at Storrs is 50 miles from the ocean, but despite that many or most of our support staff live nearby in trailer parks near Storrs or small houses farther away.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Malibu has the world's ritziest trailer park, with homes most Americans cannot afford. Google Paradise Cove Trailer Park.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

My parents lived in trailers (separate, far enough so dad wouldn't walk over). Excellent low-cost housing for retirees, grad students, mildly disabled adults, and low wage workers. It allowed them reasonable independence, even if too many of the residents kept the TV on Fox News.

Sadly, land prices skyrocket so the owner sold out the prime acreage for several million. 5 years later, nothing has been built on the plot.

Plus where else can you do major renovations with a staple remover, a utility knife, and a staple gun?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz »

Whatever4 wrote:My parents lived in trailers (separate, far enough so dad wouldn't walk over). Excellent low-cost housing for retirees, grad students, mildly disabled adults, and low wage workers. It allowed them reasonable independence, even if too many of the residents kept the TV on Fox News.

Sadly, land prices skyrocket so the owner sold out the prime acreage for several million. 5 years later, nothing has been built on the plot.

Plus where else can you do major renovations with a staple remover, a utility knife, and a staple gun?
And "flex tape"...don't forget the flex tape. :-D
Seriously, CB and I are doing some planning for the future, and one of the options we're considering is a place over on the west coast of Florida, but inland east of the coast, which is--basically--a lakefront "fish camp," with about 30 small cottages (which are day-by-day rentals), plus a fairly extensive "mobile home" (trailer) park for permanent residents. The camp includes a pool, tennis courts, boat slips, fishing dock, small store/bait shop, lake front swimming beach/dock, community center/bar & grill, and established community activities (in which one can participate or not, as one wishes). The trailer lots are relatively large; water/sewer/trash pickup/lawn care are provided. You buy your trailer (already in place on site, most are doublewides), pay a very low monthly lot rental, plus electric/cable/internet (although I think the place has free wi-fi). Given that all of our kids are going to, or will be going to, the University of Florida, and at least two of them are already committed to settling on/near one of the family's farm operations which is nearby, it honestly seems like a pretty darn good plan to us.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Manufactured housing building standards are quite high. You probably know to either purchase a storm shelter, dig a basement, or "tornado proof" the mobile home.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I don't think there is any way to really tornado proof a mobile home. The best you can probably do is make sure it is properly tied down and that maybe the tie downs tie down the whole structure not just the base, and then I'm not sure. I've seen too often what a tornado can do to a mobile home. It isn't pretty.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

MRich

Post by MRich »

One of the last USS Arizona survivors has been interred with his shipmates. Raymond Haerry died in September; only USS Arizona survivors can be interred on the ship.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/uss- ... board-ship

Five Arizona survivors remain.

MRich

Post by MRich »

Robert M. Pirsig, author of "Zen And The Art Of Motocycle Maintenance", died today (Monday) aged 88:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-88

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Notorial Dissent wrote:I don't think there is any way to really tornado proof a mobile home. The best you can probably do is make sure it is properly tied down and that maybe the tie downs tie down the whole structure not just the base, and then I'm not sure. I've seen too often what a tornado can do to a mobile home. It isn't pretty.
The tiedowns are what I am familiar with though I don't know how helpful they are.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Harvey Pinelli

Post by Harvey Pinelli »

Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was a revelation to me in my youth.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:I don't think there is any way to really tornado proof a mobile home. The best you can probably do is make sure it is properly tied down and that maybe the tie downs tie down the whole structure not just the base, and then I'm not sure. I've seen too often what a tornado can do to a mobile home. It isn't pretty.
The tiedowns are what I am familiar with though I don't know how helpful they are.
Living a very sheltered life, imo the tiedowns will help if one gets touched be the farthest whispers of a tornado. Anything nearer to the center will show storm winds that just implode or tear apart the light walls of a trailer home (or throw a sturdier built home on its side). Even well built non-brick or non-cement houses get shredded.<I think it's one of the problems of the US building style: pave a flimys flat concrete foundation and then set some structure upon it without fixing it to the foundation. I remember all those empty foundatation platforms after storms or seen the houses just float away when high water comes.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Harvey Pinelli wrote:Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was a revelation to me in my youth.
Me too. Quite a guy. :(
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I'll miss Pirsig, but we still have William Least Heat Moon and his Blue Highways. Also a revelation for me.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

RoadScholar wrote:
Harvey Pinelli wrote:Robert Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" was a revelation to me in my youth.
Me too. Quite a guy. :(
Dirty hippies.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Chilidog wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:Well, for someone who had the money and opportunity Ern had. But really, the "trailer park" shaming offends me. I lived in a trailer park because that was all I could manage as much darling was dying.

My apologies then.

I googled up the location, and surprisingly, for Indiana, the park doesn't look all that bad.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.325853, ... a=!3m1!1e3

(I have had to do work in Indiana in the past, and while parts of the state are nice, a lot of it is . . . i'll just stop there.)
No apology required. I know a lot of trailer parks are trashy. My little trailer cost me $500, so that gives you a clue. However, many good, hardworking people live like that because they can afford nothing else due to a myriad of circumstances. "Nuff said.

Back to Erin . Scott Baio is the biggest ass on the internet. He basically said she got what she got for using drugs and alcohol. Not. She died of Stage IV cancer.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Apparently neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip are dead. Or maybe they are. Or maybe someone absconded with the silver. But we'll know at 8:00 am London time.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... gency-meet
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Lani

Post by Lani »

Whatever4 wrote:Apparently neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip are dead. Or maybe they are. Or maybe someone absconded with the silver. But we'll know at 8:00 am London time.

There's nothing on the BBC or Telegraph websites. Seems to be a hoax.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Lani wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:Apparently neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip are dead. Or maybe they are. Or maybe someone absconded with the silver. But we'll know at 8:00 am London time.

England is going to have to better than that if they want to put off Trumplestiltskin's visit. I suggest a return of the Black Death.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Lani wrote:

news.com.au
BREAKING: Queen Elizabeth II’s entire staff from across the United Kingdom has been summoned to an emergency meeting at Buckingham Palace.

All over Twitter and other sources except the BBC. Which some people say it proves something is up. BBC announces the first official whatever.
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

The Palace has made clear today that both the Queen and Prince Philip, and the rest of the upper royals, are in good condition.

http://people.com/royals/queen-elizabet ... ip-health/

You can't always believe those supermarket tabloids.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Twitter is a riot. Announcement after staff meeting at 10:00AM now. Goodnight. :bored:
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “Current Events”