Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Birding

Azastan
Verified:

Re: Birding

Post by Azastan »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:04 pm
We had seller’s jays in Northern California. :lovestruck:
Steller's Jays and California Scrub Jays are both found in California. Steller's Jays are more 'upslope' and the scrub jays are down lower in elevation normally.

They are both beautiful birds!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

They are both beautiful birds, they are both loud & raucous, but there is one characteristic of Scrub Jays that makes them stand out. They are, universally & without exception, assholes.
Estiveoshot_20210412_124953.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:50 pm They are, universally & without exception, assholes.

I think that's part of the job description for all jays, actually.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Scrub Jays make other Jays look like amateurs.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We've always had blue jays in our neighborhood. I still chuckle about the time my husband set out a live trap. I forget what kind of pest he was trying to capture. Imagine his surprise when it caught a blue jay! (Easily released.)
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:50 pm They are both beautiful birds, they are both loud & raucous, but there is one characteristic of Scrub Jays that makes them stand out. They are, universally & without exception, assholes.

Estiveoshot_20210412_124953.jpg
I'll put our mockingbirds up against your jays any day of the week and twice on Sunday in the asshole sweepstakes. Mockingbirds will win every time.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

They prefer to think of themselves as "self-actualized". :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

This morning, on the Gettysburg PA Live Bird Feeder Cam, it was quite the reality show (Jerry Springer anyone). The grackles were all in their mating mood (beaks up and feather rustling) and also being downright nasty to the others (one even swatting a red-wing blackbird flying by). Then, a mourning dove showed up and demonstrated that while it may have a soothing voice, it is no wimp. Every time the grackles came by, it would puff up and keep them at bay or even run them off. The bluejays seemed like the quiet and calm ones this morning (along with normally territorial cardinals).

A red-bellied woodpecker got mad at something later, as well.

It was not much different here at home were 6 cowbirds (4 males and 2 females) were having some kerfuffle outside my window.

The Gettysburg PA webcam.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We've had an indigo bunting on the suet feeder for the last 20 minutes. We knew they were around here but this is the first time we've ever actually seen one. Beautiful bird.

The hummers are so plentiful this year they're lining up to get at the feeders, and the nuthatches and titmouses disappeared during the ice storm but are back with a vengeance now. All 3 feed right outside my window, about 2 feet from my face. The nuthatches are the most aggressive, but also the only ones who flee if I move.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve seen only one indigo bunting around here — it was several years ago — but I did manage to get a picture.
F0753021-72C9-4814-B94A-7AE9B6219AC4.jpeg
F0753021-72C9-4814-B94A-7AE9B6219AC4.jpeg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 5148 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Our second baby Vulture finally hatched in the creepy barn down in the woods. Last time MrD took the grandbrats down there on a tractor ride to check on them my grandson came back and said "one is doing okay but the other one is still just an egg." :lol:
IMG_7590.jpg
IMG_7590.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Baby vultures are adorable . They look like Weebles. Remember ‘Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down’?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm Baby vultures are adorable . They look like Weebles. Remember ‘Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down’?
Vultures might be the least awkward-looking of the birds of prey when they are very young. Owls, eagles, hawks, and falcons all look fluffy and disheveled as hatchlings, especially owls.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm Baby vultures are adorable . They look like Weebles. Remember ‘Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down’?
:callonme:

I do!

Hey, what did the papa bull say to the baby bull?

We bulls wobble but we don't fall down.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Snicker
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sadly, there’s a fairly large, headless red tail hawk lying prone on my compost heap. He wasn’t there yesterday. After googling, I suspect a territorial battle with the much bigger red tail we saw circling above the neighborhood this morning. Lord only knows what ate its head.

I didn’t get a picture but I’ll post one if anyone really wants to see it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kate520 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 pm Sadly, there’s a fairly large, headless red tail hawk lying prone on my compost heap. He wasn’t there yesterday. After googling, I suspect a territorial battle with the much bigger red tail we saw circling above the neighborhood this morning. Lord only knows what ate its head.

The head is the most nutritious part.
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 pm
Kate520 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 pm Sadly, there’s a fairly large, headless red tail hawk lying prone on my compost heap. He wasn’t there yesterday. After googling, I suspect a territorial battle with the much bigger red tail we saw circling above the neighborhood this morning. Lord only knows what ate its head.

The head is the most nutritious part.
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We are listening to male northern flickers dueling in song this morning.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I have been quite amused with a robin singing all day, literally, all day. Since it comes from the same spot, I was figuring it is the same one. It's impressive. It is loud enough, I can easily hear it with the windows shut and he goes on until sunset. Obviously, their vocal process is stronger than mine, even when I (a college-trained vocalist) was in full shape.

When one of the house finches gets going, it is downright loud in the backyard not that I'm complaining.
101010 :towel:
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Mrs. FRP and I have a male robin who sings the delightful morning song right outside our window around dawn every day. The only problem is that he wakes us up even earlier than our cats, and he's extremely loud.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I scurrilously blamed a tiny wren for a loud call I heard in my green belt backyard. I hereby fully and completely apologize to said wren, his heirs, assigns, et al.

The real caller is a male cardinal whom I caught red-handed, as it were, whilst watching him sing. I had been aware of the metallic cheep sound cardinals make because of a demanding one who reminded me every afternoon when it was time for more bird seed. I had also learned of a certain call cardinals made from the Cornell Ornithology Lab. My soloist performed only a part of that pattern but with such gusto it resonated through the neighborhood. It tends toward Wagner rather than beer garden in style.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Seems to have a bit of Indian Runner in him.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210502_114446.jpg
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Stuff”