Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Birding

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

I hope they eat well. Then I won't have to see so many of them. :roll:

This was in DC. I heard they are emerging around central PA, but so far I have not heard about any cicadas around here yet.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that poor bug might have had a family!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.treehugger.com/street-art-m ... a-51209091
Having won an international street art talent competition some years ago, then touring Europe and taking part in the women street artists' festival Femme Fierce, Silva nevertheless says that she came upon her large-scale vocation almost by accident:

"I started painting murals because a friend gave me some spray cans for my birthday. And with that, I went to paint on the street for the first time, out of curiosity and to try to paint something on a new scale. At that time I was drawing a little too, but I was also studying audiovisual design, so I went to try. Then I started looking for walls in my neighborhood and started painting with brushes and rollers. People in my neighborhood, Villa Tesei, enthusiastically gave up their walls to paint them and there I fell in love with painting in the public space."
bird-flower-murals-fio-silva-5-366069caaee8449db5474d2d81f6fa0b_kindlephoto-40871440.jpg
bird-flower-murals-fio-silva-5-366069caaee8449db5474d2d81f6fa0b_kindlephoto-40871440.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
bird-flower-murals-fio-silva-6-16f8d4ebc92748fa918a5c777710f4ff_kindlephoto-40921318.jpg
bird-flower-murals-fio-silva-6-16f8d4ebc92748fa918a5c777710f4ff_kindlephoto-40921318.jpg (395.39 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com
CDC urges against kissing, snuggling poultry in salmonella warning

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an advisory on Thursday warning people against getting too close to backyard poultry, citing concerns that the chickens may be spreading salmonella.
AAKdnYf_kindlephoto-37676736.png
AAKdnYf_kindlephoto-37676736.png (294.06 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
In an investigation notice, the CDC noted that backyard poultry owners should take precautionary measures when handling their animals after 163 confirmed cases of salmonella were reported in 43 states.

"Don't kiss or snuggle backyard poultry, and don't eat or drink around them," the CDC wrote. "This can spread Salmonella germs to your mouth and make you sick."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210521_183902.jpg
Estiveoshot_20210521_194611.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy makes Fox headlinez! Refuses Tucker Carlson interview interrogation! Is Foggy chicken?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Feast for birds..
And people..

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-05- ... /100157764

Millions of cicadas have begun to emerge from the ground across the eastern United States, where they will live for about three weeks before dying — unless they are eaten first.

Key points:

Cicadas are sometimes described as tasting like shrimp
They hold the record for the longest juvenile period of any insect
Females lay between 400 to 600 eggs
Billions — and possibly trillions — of cicadas will continue to appear in the coming weeks to reproduce before dying after spending 17 years underground feasting on tree and plant roots.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 am Wild turkeys roost high in up trees at night. You should see them fly up! Graceful they aren't, but they get the job done.
I can testify that they dont last long in my liquer cabinette.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

keith wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:11 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 am Wild turkeys roost high in up trees at night. You should see them fly up! Graceful they aren't, but they get the job done.
:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

keith wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:11 am
Fellow bourbon drinker! :wave: :bighug:

:bar:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

A couple weeks back, I briefly woke up at 3:15am. What did I hear at that early hour? Robins singing away. They are quite the, well, early birds.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

We have a bird chorale at sunrise and twilight. The frog chorus begins around 9:00 p.m. and continues through the night. The frogs are mostly tenors with one bass.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

That poor bass frog. He's the best singer in the bunch but he never gets the starring roles. He does get to play the evil frog, which can be fun.
Tiredretiredlawyer

And he's probably the tiniest frog out there! His voice rings out, though, among the tenor din. When you're the onliest you're the bestest. ;)
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Basses don't have to be big barrel-chested folks to show their manliness. Basses are secure in the smaller, thinner stature and can carry the rest of the group with their true power. They don't have to be big giant folks to hide a little tiny... uh.. never mind.
Tiredretiredlawyer

And the voice/size difference makes great comedy as does seeing overweight sopranos play "The Daughter of the Regiment". :oopsy:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I have Carolina wrens. My life is complete.

I am in NY, about fifty miles north of the long-accepted northern edge of the Carolina wren's range.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

My friend here in Virginia posted a bunch of pictures of roseate spoonbills at a park in Northern Virginia.

Climate change is real.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:17 am I have Carolina wrens.
Germany? Germany? Germany? :batting:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This is not good
No definitive cause of death has emerged so far as the culprit behind the now 285 sick and dying birds reported in Indiana, the state’s department of natural resources said Friday.

Officials with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources repeated their urging for Hoosiers to bring their bird feeders inside while the department continues to investigate the unexplained uptick in sick and dying songbirds across Indiana since late May.

The department sent a dozen bird samples to the Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory as part of an investigation into the affected birds, which include blue jays, American robins and Northern cardinals. The birds’ symptoms include neurological signs of illness, eye swelling and crusty discharge.

Early laboratory tests ruled out avian flu and West Nile virus.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/env ... 842801002/
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Mike Pence is home and all singing is once again baned in IN?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:44 am
Gemini, Gemini, Gemini (upstate accent).
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:02 am This is not good
No definitive cause of death has emerged so far as the culprit behind the now 285 sick and dying birds reported in Indiana, the state’s department of natural resources said Friday.

Officials with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources repeated their urging for Hoosiers to bring their bird feeders inside while the department continues to investigate the unexplained uptick in sick and dying songbirds across Indiana since late May.

The department sent a dozen bird samples to the Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory as part of an investigation into the affected birds, which include blue jays, American robins and Northern cardinals. The birds’ symptoms include neurological signs of illness, eye swelling and crusty discharge.

Early laboratory tests ruled out avian flu and West Nile virus.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/env ... 842801002/
Yeah, I saw that. As of a couple of days ago, I did not see anything on Cornell's site or the Audobon Society. In addition, this came out around the Virginia area back in March so I am having trouble figuring out if there is or not an issue. I have stopped filling my feeder for now anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:33 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:44 am
Gemini, Gemini, Gemini (upstate accent).
Down here they clearly and vigorously say "Germany, Germany, Germany!" They're one of the loudest birds in these parts.

I'm sure they were very unpopular during World Wars One and Two.

"Germany, Germany, Germ---"

BOOM!! Rat-a-tat-a-tat-tat! :shooting:

"Yeah, SHUDDAP, ya Nazi-lovin' varmint!"
Tiredretiredlawyer

The wrens here say, “Video, video, video” or “TWEET”!!! A family once nested in our garage.

Return to “General Stuff”