Rest In Peace

sad-cafe

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by sad-cafe »

poplove wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:33 pm Donald Rumsfeld at age 88.
Am I supposed to be sad?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Perhaps at least one known unknown is now known to Mr. Rumsfeld.

As someone said elsewhere: you go to Hell with the alibi you have, not the alibi you need.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:30 am
Am I supposed to be sad?
I'm sad that he existed.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I'm not. Disagree with his politics or not, he was a public servant doing what he thought was right. The Gulf War looked a lot better in 1990 than it does now, the second Gulf War looked better in 2001 than it does now. I'm not exactly sure who was lying or telling the truth for any of this, and history has changed my outlook on it all, especially the last 4-5 years.

When I was a kid, and when I was in the service I didn't much ask "Why?" I did as I was told. Once I got out, having known more than a few West Point officers, I held them as a group in high regards professionally, even the ones I thought were kind of jerks. In fact, most of them were kind of jerks, but as I said, they were what I thought a good officer was. But the last 5 years, all these military nut cases like Mike Flynn and friends shook that right out of me. Most of these guys are my age, and must have been around me at one time or another but I didn't know any of them. I lived with a USMA graduate a while, he knew some. A friend of mine graduated in Pompeo's class and had to have known him, as Pompeo I think was the First Captain or graduated first in his class. What a phuckstick he turned out to be.

Anyhow, I was a conservative most of my life. Until 2012 at least I was a Republican. The Tea Party turned me away and I voted for Obama the second time anyhow. But what made me open to making that change was the idea that I might disagree with Obama (or W) on policy, but he's a pretty smart guy (and yes, so is W who'd main problems were related to being a poor public speaker). He went to Harvard, Yale , Columbia. I've been to places like that, know a lot of people from places like that, and really, most of them are not too dumb. So I have to accept the idea that just maybe he (Obama or W) was right and I was wrong. Knowing that, up until Trump, I always believed that the person I agreed or disagreed with loved America as much as me and if I was wrong it would all work out. Even if I wasn't wrong, everyone would be working to do what they thought best, misguided though they may be.

Trump beat that out of me. He didn't give two phucks about the country, he just jumped in the pit like a pig in mud, trying to smear as much of it over him as he could, no matter the cost. Money, attention, power and strutting around like a kid in a cape was all he cared about, and honestly he made me care less about this country than I used to. I feel like the 9 years I was in the Army was wasted as I no longer believe as I did when I was 18-27 years old. If asked overseas if I'm "American" I don't deny it, but I mention Windsor and Toronto if I get a chance and if they think I'm Canadian, well, I'm not gonna correct them. (not a bad policy in certain parts of the world anyhow) Trump robbed me of my patriotism, my pride in the country and those 9 years and I'll never forgive him or the corrupt people who enabled them because the distraction he caused let them use him as a puppet to do what they wanted and could never have gotten away with if Jeb Bush or John Kasich had won. It's too bad Trump will never realize how and how easily Mitch McConnel and others used him and that he was like Zaphod Beeblebrox more than any real President, one who has no power but whose job it is too distract everyone from the real power. (and it ain't a guy in a shack with a cat)

Okay, now that you see what Ambien does to my writing, I'm gonna quit this rambling. But you get the gist.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I think that was interesting and well written. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Donald Trump, for all his faults, did not directly cause the deaths of untold Iraqis.

I don't believe in an afterlife, but I want to send Rumsfeld a telegram asking if Hell is hot enough for him. Good riddance. Humanity is demonstrably better now that he's gone, and it's just a shame he didn't take fellow mass-murderers Dick Cheney and Henry Kissinger with him on the journey.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://chicago.suntimes.com/movies-and ... lla-was-84
Stuart Damon, Dr. Alan Quartermaine on ‘General Hospital’ dies at 84
Damon’s family told ABC News 7 the actor had been “struggling with renal failure for the last several years.”

Stuart Damon, best known for his role as Dr. Alan Quartermaine on ”General Hospital,” died Tuesday. He was 84.

“Stuart Damon played beloved patriarch Alan Quartermaine for 30 years,” Frank Valentini, “General Hospital” executive producer, said in a statement to USA TODAY. ”He was a great actor and even greater man. His legacy lives on through ‘GH’ and all the lives he touched and all those who loved him. He will be missed.”

Born in New York City, February 5, 1937, Damon began his career on Broadway. He shot to prominence portraying the prince opposite Lesley Ann Warren in the 1965 CBS musical production of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella.”

Damon worked on London’s West End stage also starring as a secret agent on the 1968-69 TV series “The Champions.” He appeared on British shows including “The Saint,” “Steptoe and Son” and “The New Avengers.”
img0093A.1818.0_kindlephoto-10213558.jpg
img0093A.1818.0_kindlephoto-10213558.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
I had the biggest crush on him when he played Prince Charming and again when I got hooked on General Hospital while home with First Born Son. :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

RIP - Naomi Shelton

Post by mojosapien »

Rest in Peace ---Naomi Shelton
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Edwin Washington Edwards, the high-living four-term governor whose three-decade dominance of Louisiana politics was all but overshadowed by scandal and an eight-year federal prison stretch, died on Monday. He was 93.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rison-dies
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

So which state is currently in the lead for "Past Governors convicted of Felony"? Louisiana or Illinois?

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Illinois leads 3 to 2 according to Wikipedia
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

In terms of state legislatures, Kentucky takes the crown thank to Operation Boptrot
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-eth ... e3a663575a
Gloria Richardson, civil rights pioneer, dies at 99

Richardson was the first woman to lead a prolonged grassroots civil rights movement outside the Deep South. In 1962, she helped organized and led the Cambridge Movement on Maryland’s Eastern Shore with sit-ins to desegregate restaurants, bowling alleys and movie theaters in protests that marked an early part of the Black Power movement.

“I say that the Cambridge Movement was the soil in which Richardson planted a seed of Black power and nurtured its growth,” said Joseph R. Fitzgerald, who wrote a 2018 biography on Richardson titled “The Struggle is Eternal: Gloria Richardson and Black Liberation.”

In the summer of 1963, after peaceful sit-ins turned violent in Cambridge, Gov. J. Millard Tawes declared martial law. When Cambridge Mayor Calvin Mowbray asked Richardson to halt the demonstrations in exchange for an end to the arrests of Black protesters, Richardson declined to do so. On June 11, rioting by white supremacists erupted and Tawes called in the National Guard.

While the city was still under National Guard presence, Richardson met with U.S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy to negotiate what became informally known as the “Treaty of Cambridge.” It ordered equal access to public accommodations in Cambridge in return for a one-year moratorium on demonstrations.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Robin Williams would have turned 70 years old today, such a loss.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bob-moses- ... mpion/#app
Bob Moses, champion of civil rights and math education, has died at 86

Moses worked to dismantle segregation as the Mississippi field director of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee during the civil rights movement and was central to the 1964 "Freedom Summer" in which hundreds of students went to the South to register voters.

Moses started his "second chapter in civil rights work" by founding in 1982 the Algebra Project thanks to a MacArthur Fellowship. The project included a curriculum Moses developed to help poor students succeed in math.

Moses didn't spend much time in the Deep South until he went on a recruiting trip in 1960 to "see the movement for myself." He sought out the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Atlanta but found little activity in the office and soon turned his attention to SNCC.

"I was taught about the denial of the right to vote behind the Iron Curtain in Europe," Moses later said. "I never knew that there was (the) denial of the right to vote behind a Cotton Curtain here in the United States."
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/stor ... eters-dies
Phyllis Gould, WWII defense plant worker who fought for Rosie the Riveters, dies

Phyllis Gould, one of the millions of women who worked in defense plants in World War II and who later relentlessly fought for recognition of those Rosie the Riveters, has died at age 99.

“She wants on her gravestone: ‘Mission Accomplished,’” her 95-year-old sister, Marian Sousa, said Monday. “I think she did it all.”

During World War II, the U.S. created a recruitment campaign for women to fill defense jobs to replace men who were serving in the armed forces. An iconic poster from the campaign showed Rosie the Riveter, a woman in a polka-dotted bandanna flexing a muscular arm as she rolls up her sleeve.

Female defense workers received little notice or appreciation after the end of the war but Gould fought tenaciously to honor them. She helped push for creation of the Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, established in 2000.

Gould and other Rosies met with President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in 2014. She pushed for the declaration of a national Rosie the Riveter Day, held annually on March 21, and before her death was helping design a Congressional Gold Medal to be issued next year to honor the Rosies.
Methinks should would not want to "rest" in the afterlife.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:19 pm Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bassist, 72.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/zz- ... 235029656/
:crying:

When I was young (and single) I used to hang at a bar where Billy Gibbons was also a regular. It was a dive. Loved it!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:19 pm Dusty Hill, ZZ Top bassist, 72.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/zz- ... 235029656/
That one hurts. I've been a fan for almost 50 years.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

This one hurts badly

We had tickets to see them and Def Leppard last Oct. Was cancelled because of the pandemic. Was hoping like hell it would be rescheduled
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

But wait, there's more...Ron Popeil, 86.

https://www.thewrap.com/ron-popeil-set- ... ies-at-86/
Image Image Image Image
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

How was he only 86? It seems like his commercials have been on TV since Keith Richards was a toddler.

Return to “General Stuff”