Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Squirrel is a popular sport and dish for some in Arkansas. Squirrel gumbo is usually fixed. I am not a fan of "tree rat"* food. We have a large squirrel population in our neighborhood and enjoy their antics. The red squirrels have cross bred with the gray squirrels making some interesting color designs.

*A dear friend's pet name for squirrels.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I'd eat squirrel before I'd eat rabbit. I mean the likes of rabbits that found out that just because an old man has a shaky hand, he's still flawless at 25 yards with a Benjamin Marauder air rifle fitted with a light trigger spring. Damned things do much more damage to a lawn than the neighborhood kids. Truth is, I'm not fond of squirrel. Lots of work for so little meat.
Il factotum
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm I'd eat squirrel before I'd eat rabbit. I mean the likes of rabbits that found out that just because an old man has a shaky hand, he's still flawless at 25 yards with a Benjamin Marauder air rifle fitted with a light trigger spring. Damned things do much more damage to a lawn than the neighborhood kids. Truth is, I'm not fond of squirrel. Lots of work for so little meat.
Get with the program. Ever tried escargo?. What is the purpose -- they need garlic sauce to slurp that nasty stuff down? This should be in the food fight forum. One time did, with wealthy French immigrant friends. Once.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210512_105359.jpg
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/co-state-wir ... 63064f20b8
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — Two Navy training jets collided over South Texas on Monday, forcing the two crew members on one plane to bail out and leaving one of them with minor injuries, the military said.

The two British-built T-45C Goshawk jets collided at around 11 a.m. over Ricardo, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi-based Chief of Naval Air Training tweeted.

One jet with a student and instructor aboard was able to land safely at nearby Naval Air Station Kingsville. The other jet crashed nearby after its student pilot and instructor ejected safely. One of them was treated for minor injuries at a Corpus Christi hospital.

No cause has been determined, and the Navy and local officials were investigating. They reported no other injuries or notable collateral damage.

The crash came five days after a midair collision between a small plane and a regional air freighter near Denver. Both aircraft were able to land safely without injuries.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

just a few miles from here...
Lake Worth train-truck collision
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm I'd eat squirrel before I'd eat rabbit. I mean the likes of rabbits that found out that just because an old man has a shaky hand, he's still flawless at 25 yards with a Benjamin Marauder air rifle fitted with a light trigger spring. Damned things do much more damage to a lawn than the neighborhood kids. Truth is, I'm not fond of squirrel. Lots of work for so little meat.
Rabbit is great. Especially in a pie. It used to cheap in Oz until some asshole lab rat released calecie virus (spelling) to kill off the wild population before the rabbit farms had a chance to prepare. And they did it at the wrong time of year so it didn't do much good.

Escargot is also terrific, and can also be baked into a pie, but is better in garlic butter.

Frogs legs on the other hand, are not bad, they are just pointless. At least chicken feet have flavor.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
keith wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:51 am
Rabbit is great. Especially in a pie. It used to cheap in Oz until some asshole lab rat released calecie virus (spelling) to kill off the wild population before the rabbit farms had a chance to prepare. And they did it at the wrong time of year so it didn't do much good.

Escargot is also terrific, and can also be baked into a pie, but is better in garlic butter.

Frogs legs on the other hand, are not bad, they are just pointless. At least chicken feet have flavor.
When ms and I were at "cooking school" in Tuscany, one evening we were treated to a sumptuous feast at the home of one of the local vineyard owners. Absolutely amazing food and wine.

Except: One of the dishes was Rabbit. Ms and I, having left a pet rabbit at home for this trip, said no thanks. The host was quite offended.
keith

Post by keith »

tek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:33 am
Off Topic
keith wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:51 am

When ms and I were at "cooking school" in Tuscany, one evening we were treated to a sumptuous feast at the home of one of the local vineyard owners. Absolutely amazing food and wine.

Except: One of the dishes was Rabbit. Ms and I, having left a pet rabbit at home for this trip, said no thanks. The host was quite offended.
When I was a kid, my dad bought a pig and raised it up. My sister decided it was her pet and gave it a name and rode around on its back etc. etc. etc.

It tasted great, even to my 5 year old self (sister is older). She screamed and tantrumed every time we had pork chops or bacon for years. I don't think she ate pork for 20 years after that, but she does now.

My brother-in-laws kids had a pet rabbit for years too (they are great pets). They didn't eat it when it died (actually disappeared, a fox is suspected), but they did eat other rabbits and loved it. Now-a-days they are both vegetarians, and one is a vegan even, but it has nothing to do with pets.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
If goD wanted us to ride on rails he woulda given us wheels

Hope no serious injuries
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

At Least 3 Killed and 50 Hurt in Amtrak Derailment in Montana, Officials Say
The derailment, involving five cars of the Empire Builder train, happened near Joplin, Mont., on Saturday afternoon.

By Christopher Mele, Vimal Patel and Michael Levenson
Sept. 25, 2021 Updated 10:53 p.m. ET

At least three people were killed and 50 others were injured after an Amtrak train derailed in Montana on Saturday afternoon, setting off a frantic response by rescuers who scrambled to extricate passengers from cars, the authorities said.

Amtrak said that five cars on an Empire Builder train had derailed at roughly 4 p.m. local time. About 147 passengers and 13 crew members were on board, “with injuries reported,” Amtrak said in a statement.

The Liberty County Sheriff’s Office said that three people were confirmed dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/25/us/a ... rails.html?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state- ... 41df9.html
At least three people have died after an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed Saturday afternoon in north-central Montana.

The Liberty County Sheriff's Office announced that the three deaths were among the multiple causalities reported.

Five cars of the Empire Builder train 7/27 left the tracks at around 4 p.m. near Joplin, according to an emailed statement from Amtrak Public Relations Manager Jason Abrams. There were approximately 147 passengers and 13 crew members onboard.

"Amtrak is working with the local authorities to transport injured passengers, and safely evacuate all other passengers," he wrote.
I was this afternoon making plans for a trip on this route for next summer.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 pm
At least three people have died after an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed Saturday afternoon in north-central Montana.
I was this afternoon making plans for a trip on this route for next summer.
:eek: :shock:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not exactly a wreck.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith

Post by keith »

Geeze.

I was on a train in Australia ("The Ghan" : north bound from Adelaide to Alice Springs) years ago that got stopped at a siding passing point in the middle of nowhere. There was a group of police cars there to meet us. The cops came on and removed two passengers from the sleeping compartment next to my Mother's compartment. Turns out these folks had robbed a pharmacy taking a crap ton of drugs immediately before boarding the train in Adelaide.

But they got them off the train with no gun fire.

Earlier they had stopped under some overpasses a couple of times claiming that the AirCon was not working and they were going to try to fix it while they had some shade available (it was effing hot outside). Now I'm wondering if they already knew these guys were on the train and they were delaying on purpose to give the cops time to get into position at that remote siding where they wouldn't be tempted to do something stupid like make a run for it.

Regardless, the delays added up and pushed us into another weird situation. Apparently we were supposed to meet an Alby Mangels (remember him?) camel expedition somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the afternoon. Instead we got there just at sunset. As they started loading the camels onto the livestock car they got loose. It took another hour of running around in the dark to round them all up again and get them loaded.

Altogether we were over 6 hours late getting into Alice Springs. But that is all just part of the adventure with "The Ghan". My father-in-law got trapped for a week by a flooded river on the way to Darwin during The War (WWII). The last couple of days the only thing on the train left to eat was canned peaches and he never ate another peach for the rest of his life.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's a train I'd love to ride. I think it's one of the ones that has been featured on Mighty Trains on the Smithsonian Channel. The closest we've come to a drug problem on an Amtrak train is we had two people put off the train in Reno for smoking marijuana. I did notice on our last trip in June that they announced a reminder that while we might be traveling through a state where it was legal, Amtrak is US Government property, and it is still not legal on a train.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Incident: Spirit A20N at Atlantic City on Oct 2nd 2021, rejected takeoff due to bird strike, engine fire

By Simon Hradecky,
created Sunday, Oct 3rd 2021 08:34Z, last updated Monday, Oct 4th 2021 07:17Z

A Spirit Airlines Airbus A320-200N, registration N922NK performing flight NK-3044 from Atlantic City,NJ to Fort Lauderdale,FL (USA), was accelerating for takeoff from Atlantic City's runway 31 when the crew rejected takeoff at low speed (about 60 knots over ground) advising they had a bird strike into the right hand engine (PW1127G) and were stopping on the runway. The aircraft slowed safely and stopped on the runway about 550 meters/1800 feet down the runway, tower queried whether the aircraft needed any assistance, the crew replied "roll the trucks please". A short while later tower advised there appeared to be fire underneath the engine. The crew acknowledged, the fire bell was audible in the background of that transmission, and about a minute later advised they were evacuating the aircraft. There were no injuries.

The airline reported a large bird entered one of the engines, the crew braked safely and brought the aircraft to stop, received indication of engine damage and ordered an evacuation in line with standard operating procedures.

Videos show the aircraft was evacuated through the left hand forward and left hand aft main doors using slides.

On Oct 4th 2021 it emerged, that an entire fan blade had fractured at its root and separated.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4ee2677c
several video clips in article

comment: how many times do passengers need to be told to remain seated,
BUT how many times to be told to not take stuff from the overhead lockers during evacuation :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://patch.com/california/santee/pla ... ted-santee
SANTEE, CA — Emergency crews are responding to a plane crash in Santee.

The crash was reported in the 9900 block of N. Magnolia Avenue, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

The plane went down blocks away from Santana High School, which is at 9915 N. Magnolia Ave. All students were "secure," school officials said on Twitter.

Smoke was visible in the area.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

A little more info

At least one building appears to have been destroyed by fire, with crews pointing water cannons at the structure and other buildings nearby. It's still unknown if anybody has been harmed in the incident. It's also not yet known how many people were aboard the aircraft when it came down.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsan ... 994/%3famp

There are reports it hit a UPS truck parked near the school.
ETA The UPS driver died. The plane also hit two houses but the driver and someone else were the only deaths.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

DC hobbled this week.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

It's not the ship (at the moment) that is on fire, but some containers. It's difficult to fight a fire in a container, its heat may trigger fire in neighbouring containers. The ship went thru heavy seas on the coast of Canada just the days before and lost some of its cargo, the coast guard is tracking those still floating.

Return to “General Stuff”