TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Kendra

Re: TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm

SLQ wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am
In today's least surprising news (at least as of 9:30 am eastern) CNN reports trump himself wielded the Sharpie on the Dorian map.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/politics ... ch+Results

Now what I want to see is a reporter ask trump directly if he altered the map with a Sharpie. Especially after his shocked, "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know" response when first brought up.
So let met get this straight. Trump sets up a press opportunity for a hurricane update. Trump arranges to have in the room the map with the real cone closest to Alabama, even though it was presented to him days before. Prior to allowing the press in the room, Trump takes the old map and draws the new "cone" on it with his sharpie. Trump places the altered map behind the desk. The press opportunity begins. Trump starts talking about Alabama. Trump casually asks Kevin to haul out the altered map, as though an afterthought and as though he just typically has old hurricane maps behind the resolute desk. Kevin (who surely knows about the sharpie alteration) hauls out the map, fumbling with it in his nervousness. Trump displays his masterpiece as evidence he's not a idiot, apparently honestly believing no one would notice the sharpie doesn't match the rest of the map. Do I have that right?
That's how I'm reading it. Gonna be fun next time Kevin is due in front of a Congressional Committee. I :pray: it's one that Ted Lieu is on. That would be all kinds of :popcorn:

Why do these staffers stay and sink their reputations for this man? Why?

Slim Cognito

Re: TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm
SLQ wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am
In today's least surprising news (at least as of 9:30 am eastern) CNN reports trump himself wielded the Sharpie on the Dorian map.

So let met get this straight. Trump sets up a press opportunity for a hurricane update. Trump arranges to have in the room the map with the real cone closest to Alabama, even though it was presented to him days before. Prior to allowing the press in the room, Trump takes the old map and draws the new "cone" on it with his sharpie. Trump places the altered map behind the desk. The press opportunity begins. Trump starts talking about Alabama. Trump casually asks Kevin to haul out the altered map, as though an afterthought and as though he just typically has old hurricane maps behind the resolute desk. Kevin (who surely knows about the sharpie alteration) hauls out the map, fumbling with it in his nervousness. Trump displays his masterpiece as evidence he's not a idiot, apparently honestly believing no one would notice the sharpie doesn't match the rest of the map. Do I have that right?
That's how I'm reading it. Gonna be fun next time Kevin is due in front of a Congressional Committee. I :pray: it's one that Ted Lieu is on. That would be all kinds of :popcorn:

Why do these staffers stay and sink their reputations for this man? Why?
Last night Hannity insisted trump was correct about Dorian's Alabama adventure. Tonight, I half expect him to pull out a bunch of old hurricane maps from years ago and, lo and behold, there will be black sharpie boobs on all of them.
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk
·
31m
A North Carolina emergency official says there are reports that hundreds of people could be trapped in Hurricane Dorian's flooding on the state's islands. Local officials are planning air rescues. https://cnn.it/2UAej05
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Hurricane Dorian: Bahamas death toll expected to be 'staggering'

On Thursday Health Minister Duane Sands warned of a "staggering" final count.

"The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering," he told local radio.

Dr Ian Norton, who manages the World Health Organisation (WHO)'s emergency medical teams, also told reporters that he was also "really worried" about the potential death toll.

:snippity:

The Island of Great Abaco is virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up, no water, power or food, and militias formed to prevent looting, local media report.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

The CNN reporter who has been there since right before the storm said this morning he could smell death everywhere they went. :crying:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:46 pm

“This was a direct hit by a nuclear-grade hurricane,” says hurricane chaser Josh Morgerman, who was in the Bahamas during Hurricane Dorian.

He says he saw people who died and helped families protect their children by wrapping them in blankets. https://cnn.it/2lyBQ49

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Hurricane Dorian was so powerful that it lifted up a Humvee and slammed it into a house in Bevans Town, Bahamas, @CNN_Oppmann reports. https://cnn.it/2m11jDv

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Updated: 11:48 AM, Sep 02, 2019

NASSAU, Bahamas — A woman in Nassau, Bahamas opened her home to 97 rescue dogs to help protect them from the Hurricane Dorian.

Chella Phillips who has helped save nearly 1,000 homeless and abandoned dogs in the Bahamas in the last 4 years wrote this on her Facebook page Sunday:
"97 dogs are inside my house and 79 of them are inside my master bedroom.

It has been insane since last night, poop and piss non stop but at least they are respecting my bed and nobody has dared to jump in.

We have barricaded the refuge and nobody is outside, the music is playing in all directions of the house and the AC is blowing for them.

I managed to bring some less fortunate ones and I really appreciate some of you donating for crates.. I really needed it for the scared ones and the sick ones. so Thank you!

We may not get hit as hard as other islands and the saddest part is that after the hurricane leave the Bahamas, some islands will take a long time to recover.

Each island has abundance of homeless dogs, my heart is so broken for the ones without a place to hide a CAT 5 monster and only God can protect them now.

Thank you for thinking of us and praying for us."
Phillips has a rescue called "The Voiceless Dogs of Nassau, Bahamas," click here for a link to their FB Page if you are interested in learning how to help.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Voiceless- ... 932499762/
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... eTdv2KVtZY

ETA photos at the abc link - and as usual I edited and re-edited my post
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm

https://www.noaa.gov/news/statement-from-noaakoo

I don't know which NOAA family member Barr kidnapped, but trump got them to cave.
ImageImageImage x4

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:23 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm

I don't know which NOAA family member Barr kidnapped, but trump got them to cave.
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:23 pm

SLQ wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:23 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

This week has sucked, Dorian was way too close to Florida, Bahamas is literally next door, and the damn storm won't go away. Here are some tips for stress:

But for a bit of hope and inspiration, thank you to the Chef and an amazing building still standing! These are the happiest things I've seen about it all week and wanted to share how goodness can always prevail.

Poor Treasure Cay, it was mostly destroyed, saw the hotel we stayed in leveled. NYTimes has a long story about it, it's tragic. But on the amazing, hopeful side, this Pastor discovered his church made it!
The landscape had been rearranged to such a degree, with one heap of debris indistinguishable from the next, that Mr. Symonette at times got disoriented, mistaking one cluster of homes for another.

“Wow,” Mr. Symonette muttered.

A group of men sat by the roadside near the wreckage of a Haitian community called Sand Banks.

“Pastor, how you doing?” one called out.

“I’m all right,” Mr. Symonette replied.

“Thank God for life,” the man said.

“Thank God for life.”

Mr. Symonette had one more thing to check out: the evangelical church where he was once the pastor. He had overseen its construction, which took seven years.

When it came into view, Mr. Symonette was visibly relieved. It was a tall, sturdy-looking building, and except for some pieces of roofing that had sheared off, it seemed to have survived the storm well.

Even the 20-foot-high cross that soared upward from the top of the facade remained in place, a fact that Mr. Symonette noted with satisfaction.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/worl ... amage.html

Meanwhile, I'm blown away with what Chef Jose is accomplishing, he's a saint.

José Andrés Verified account @chefjoseandres
We all are Citizens of the World. What's good for you, must be good for all. If you are lost, share a plate of food with a stranger...you will find who you are.
Washington, DC and the world
vegetablesunleashed.com

Take a look at this incredible Twitter feed, it's amazing what they are doing: https://twitter.com/chefjoseandres?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor

Jose.JPG

And they're ready in North Carolina.

I'm going to support and try to get the word out more about what they are doing... it's a sensational idea and innovative way to do it. I wish the UN would try more entrepreneurial programs like this.
José Andrés Retweeted Carnival Cruise Line
Thank you for supporting us and making sure we can deliver meals to families in need!! 🙏😘👨‍🍳 #ChefsForBahamasJosé Andrés added,

Carnival Cruise Line Verified account @CarnivalCruise
Wondering how you can help Carnival’s Bahamas recovery efforts today? Please donate now to our partners — these are two great organizations already doing important work — @DirectRelief : http://bit.ly/2kx5N4j or @WCKitchen: …

Wanted to get some positive energy out there :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photo: In honor of Lt Root Beer! Support the 699th: https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Illum ... 259897297/
Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am

"I work part-time in a funeral home, I know what death smells like," said Anthony Thompson, 27. "There must be hundreds. Hundreds."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... soar-amid/

I don't mean to be petty about Chef Andreas but there was a minor scandal(?) during Maria because there was a perception that he or his organization was funding the meals they were serving when it was actually funded by FEMA. (I never saw the point of complaining about who funded the meals.)
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... uerto-rico

What's the situation now with Dorian, is Andreas working off donations this time?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Fer crying out loud, I just saw a guy on CNN trying to peddle a story about the locals in the Bahamas shooting at private planes that are trying to bring in supplies. Kudos to the producers for immediately shutting that down and setting the record straight that there are no confirmed reports whatsoever aside from Bahamians being grateful for any and all help they are being given.

So, how long before the Chief Twitler starts spewing this garbage? I'm sure he's all in a twist debating on tweeting this "news".
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Dorian not finished yet.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Yikes! How often do storms like that to so far north?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 pm
Sandy hit New York quite hard. My brother was there at the time. But this one still retaining hurricane strenght going that far north is very unusual. But remember Ireland got hit with a Cat 1 last year, though it actually was not that bad.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Dorian is now a Cat2, again.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 pm

CBC Nova Scotia
@CBCNS
·
1h
UPDATED More than 230,000 Nova Scotians without power, military has been called in to help
http://cbc.ca/1.5274741

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:41 pm
Sandy hit New York quite hard. My brother was there at the time. But this one still retaining hurricane strenght going that far north is very unusual. But remember Ireland got hit with a Cat 1 last year, thiugh it actually was not that bad.
I was just going to say we never get hurricane like storms in the Pac NW (although we do get the occasional whopper of a wind storm), but while I remember the Columbus Day storm, I was just a kid who was so scared I climbed into bed with my parents. Wiki says that storm started from
Typhoon Freda formed 500 miles (800 km) from Wake Island in the central Pacific Ocean.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_ ... rm_of_1962

The Inauguration Day storm was pretty wicked too, so named because it was Clinton's inauguration day.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:08 pm

Now more than 300k without electricity. Many roads impassable due to fallen trees. Still hours to go before the storm moves on. US tv media barely mentions it.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm

I have a feeling I might be saying Hello to Dorian myself in a week or so.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:08 pm

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, Hampton University, a historically black institution in Virginia, will open its doors to students from the University of the Bahamas, offering a semester of free room, board and tuition to students affected.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “Current Events”