TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Maybenaut

Re: TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, ?

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:13 pm
Kendra wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm
CNN is calling it Sharpie-gate just now. I don't know if they're the originator of that, or if picked up from somewhere else. Love it.

Also, over in the Carolinas, CNN has a live video feed of a vehicle parked by the ocean that's likely to lose the battle and head out to sea. They've been keeping a split screen open to watch the progress.
It's still up as of 2:12 pm -- surf is up to the top of the wheel wells. They're talking about it now.
Yeah, I've got CNN on and everyone at the office is watching. Any time now.
Just noticed... that's in Myrtle Beach... I wonder if it will still be there when I go hang out with a few of my besties next month...
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:06 pm

CNN just reported the vehicle owner/driver went down for a good photo and got stuck. That's going to be hard to esplain to the insurance company.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:03 pm

This guy is heading for the Stupid thread ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi to all my new followers! Folks have questions about what I do—and why. My show, #HurricaneMan, explains it all. And I have news: anyone with Internet can watch a special 2-hour "pre-premiere" episode on the SCI GO app starting TONIGHT—for free. Check it out.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm
:bighug: :thumbs:
:yeah: :thumbs:
ditto. :)
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

Jeffrey

Re: TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Rest easy, there are good guys with guns:

Volkonski

Re: TS/Hurricane Dorian -- Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Florida, Carolinas (Not Alabama, Donald.)

Post by Volkonski » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm
My son in Wilmington NC just called. The Dub is under mandatory evacuation, but Dorian hasn't even been to Florida yet. He don't gots a car, so the poor ol' rooster has to go get him. This is silly. :smoking:
So... did you ever go get your son? Or is he riding it out?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 pm
:bighug: :thumbs:
:yeah: :thumbs:
ditto. :)
Trying to catch up on things. Realist, I am so happy you heard from your granddaughter and that they were all fine. Glad the tree didn't land on the house. The fence is way easier to replace. That had to be a little scary, the not knowing for sure. :bighug:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

realist

Post by realist » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks for all the kind words. :bighug:

Yes, it was difficult not knowing for most of the day if they were okay. And yeah, I’m sure the tree crashing was scary. Luckily, and thankfully, all is well.

:thumbs:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:46 pm
Rest easy, there are good guys with guns:

They are calling fake in the replies

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:41 am

I probably should have linked Begnaud's retweet which is where I got it from:

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 am

Not buying that photo. Not island trees and too full of leaves after a hurricane. Power lines intact. :nope:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:55 am

Lani wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 am
Power lines intact.
I'm physically ashamed for not noticing that on the first go.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:37 am

I don't think that on the whole island of Abaco there are as many rednecks as in that photo.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:55 am
Lani wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 am
Power lines intact.
I'm physically ashamed for not noticing that on the first go.
Ah, don't be. This is kind of an emotional topic at this point as we are all shocked at the devistation on the Islands, and details like that are easy to miss in the heat of the moment.

I'm really pissed off at the people who made that photo and the fake story though. What assholes.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:43 am

I wouldn't put too much stock into that Bahamas Press twitter feed for accurate info. Within one day of the storm making landfall they were ranting about how incompetent the phone and power companies are because .....there is no power or phone service. They are long on questionable "breaking news" and demands for the government to do something, but short on any actual journalism. They do have some good videos of the storm, although watching them just triggers my own PTSD about massive hurricanes.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm
Foggy wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm
My son in Wilmington NC just called. The Dub is under mandatory evacuation, but Dorian hasn't even been to Florida yet. He don't gots a car, so the poor ol' rooster has to go get him. This is silly. :smoking:
So... did you ever go get your son? Or is he riding it out?
Yeah, now that realist's fambly is OK, I can talk about it.

Yeah, I jumped in the car and drove down there right after I put up that post. That was 1:55 pm; at 4:05 I walked into his dorm. At 7:00 we got home (after stopping for dinner). That was Monday. Labor Day.

The storm finally reached Wilmington yesterday. Three days later. I haven't seen any photos of looting and total devastation there. It looks like they had several tornadoes, but nobody died or was injured. If he had stayed where he was, he'd have been just fine, with a new experience to remember. Instead his buddies ("The Lads") at UNC Chapel Hill picked him up on Wednesday and he hasn't been heard from since. So I still think it was silly to evacuate him.

He'll surface when he needs a ride back to the Dub. :bored:

I used to tell my boys, "Your mom's job is to make you a nice, warm, safe, comfortable nest. And my job is to kick your ass out of the nest and make you learn how to fly." :blink:

My boys are good fliers. :dance:

Brunswick County, 50 miles south of Wilmington, where we spend a week every year at the beach, got hammered a lot more than Wilmington. They got hammered by Florence, too also.

At least with a hurricane they give you several days warning. When we lived in SoCal nobody ever said anything before the earthquakes hit. You'd be in a perfectly solid building and suddenly it turned into Jello. Shaky Jello. :towel:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am

In today's least surprising news (at least as of 9:30 am eastern) CNN reports trump himself wielded the Sharpie on the Dorian map.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/politics ... ch+Results

Now what I want to see is a reporter ask trump directly if he altered the map with a Sharpie. Especially after his shocked, "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know" response when first brought up.
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 am

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:14 am

CNN: Hurricane Dorian begins to flood downtown Charleston - (Video)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:31 pm

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am
In today's least surprising news (at least as of 9:30 am eastern) CNN reports trump himself wielded the Sharpie on the Dorian map.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/politics ... ch+Results

Now what I want to see is a reporter ask trump directly if he altered the map with a Sharpie. Especially after his shocked, "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know" response when first brought up.
So let met get this straight. Trump sets up a press opportunity for a hurricane update. Trump arranges to have in the room the map with the real cone closest to Alabama, even though it was presented to him days before. Prior to allowing the press in the room, Trump takes the old map and draws the new "cone" on it with his sharpie. Trump places the altered map behind the desk. The press opportunity begins. Trump starts talking about Alabama. Trump casually asks Kevin to haul out the altered map, as though an afterthought and as though he just typically has old hurricane maps behind the resolute desk. Kevin (who surely knows about the sharpie alteration) hauls out the map, fumbling with it in his nervousness. Trump displays his masterpiece as evidence he's not a idiot, apparently honestly believing no one would notice the sharpie doesn't match the rest of the map. Do I have that right?
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Return to “Current Events”