Cats!

sugar magnolia

Re: Cats!

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:13 am Yes. It’s got an eye infection, so we’re bringing him (her, maybe) to the vet to get checked out.
A one in five chance it's a girl. Let us know!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s too little for me to tell by looking. I’ll find out at the vet.

Either way, we named it Stormy.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

:like:
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am ... we named it Stormy.
Keep her away from cats named Donald! :blackeye: :bag:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am It’s too little for me to tell by looking. I’ll find out at the vet.

Stormy’s a female.

:faint: :lovestruck: :flirtyeyes: :daydreaming:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:41 am This little one showed up at Maybelot this morning.

B3A243E5-E405-4FA1-A5C1-DB7C0EB3EA7F.jpeg
My youngest son brought one of those home the he was a teenager. Much to my objections he was very cute as so I let him stay and he was named Milo. By the time he was 2 or 3 he started using the bathtub in the upstairs bathroom as his litter box. We had words about that he completely ignored so action had to be taken and it had to be taken when he was in the act so he'd get the idea, but how....

I went to the shop and bought a couple rolls of contact shelf paper and I completely papered that bathtub with it all sticky side up.

The next day I went to work, when I got home I went straight to the bathroom. The shower curtain had been torn down and the paper was all wadded up and half stuck to the tub and the other half covered in orange Milo hair.

As far as I know he never went in that bathroom again! :mrgreen:
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:41 am This little one showed up at Maybelot this morning.

Adorable! :lovestruck: Looks pretty young... Is she even 8 weeks?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sequoia32 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Maybe not. The vet said it was hard to tell. Our vet is curb-side only ( :lovestruck: ). She’s 1.2 pounds.

She pooped in the car while we were waiting (caught it in a disposable mask, so that was good). Vet was like, “Can I see it?!” He said it looked healthy, so that’s a plus. He gave her some antibiotic ointment for her eyes, and a dewormer just in case, and sent us on our way. I went out and got her some food and toys, a litter box and litter, and a cat carrier. We’re going to keep her indoors, I think.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:22 pm
Sequoia32 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Maybe not. The vet said it was hard to tell. Our vet is curb-side only ( :lovestruck: ). She’s 1.2 pounds.

She pooped in the car while we were waiting (caught it in a disposable mask, so that was good). Vet was like, “Can I see it?!” He said it looked healthy, so that’s a plus. He gave her some antibiotic ointment for her eyes, and a dewormer just in case, and sent us on our way. I went out and got her some food and toys, a litter box and litter, and a cat carrier. We’re going to keep her indoors, I think.
Please keep her indoors or have a catio. Did you check her for fleas? They can devastate a kitten. She should get her first FVRCP vaccine, too. Besides vaccine & wormer, we give Marquis Paste to prevent coccidiosis at 4 weeks or on intake if older. Oh, and she needs another dose of wormer in 10 days unless your vet is using something I don't know about.

I was guessing 5 weeks. Barely weaned... How many teeth does she have? She has the little ones in front & her canines but how about her premolars? How far in are those?

four weeks Canines and incisors in 440-470 grams/15.5-16.6 ounces
Five weeks Premolars coming in 525-550 grams/18.5-19.5 ounces
six weeks Premolars coming in 640-670 grams/22.5-23.6 ounces
Seven-week-old kittens Premolars in 770-800 grams/27.1-28.2 ounces
Eight weeks 26 baby teeth 920-950 grams/32.4-33.5 ounces (2 pounds
Attachments
kitten teeth.jpg
kitten teeth.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks! The vet said to bring her back in two weeks. We’re definitely keeping her indoors.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

OK, good, Maybenaut.

Kittens is what I do...
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sequoia32 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm OK, good, Maybenaut.

Kittens is what I do...
Do you have any recommendations for food? We’ve just given her a little bit of regular canned cat food (a couple tablespoons at a time) because I don’t know whether her molars are in well enough for her to eat dry. I have some dry kitten formula, but I was going to wait another week before I start giving that to her just to give her molars a chance to come in.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Sequoia32 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:26 pm OK, good, Maybenaut.

Kittens is what I do...
Stray kitten mama started hanging around our house. 7/29 had litter under deck. Then moved them into detached garage. Wife heard them crying and found her with 3 kittens. We’re redoing kitchen and used cabinets packing to make area on porch for them. They’re starting to eat kitten food.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

She should get kitten food. It is higher in protein & calories than adult food.

For normal kittens, I wean on Royal Canin Mother Baby wet and dry then go to Fancy Feast kitten pate, continuing the RC dry. If you already have dry kitten food, that's fine. The RC is a huge expensive bag. My 3 adult cats love it so it won't go stale. :lol: Once the kittens start running around they eat the adult cats' food too but I specifically feed kitten formulations.

Oh, also rotisserie chicken, steak and salmon. :lol:

Open her mouth and see how far her pre-molars are in. If you can see them, even if they are not all the way in, you can start some dry. I sprinkle it on the wet so they know it's food too.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You are so lucky, maybenaut! An orange cat found you! Our oranges have been our favorites! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks! I went to Walmart ( :sick: ) to get a litter box and other stuff. They had dry kitten food but not wet. I’ll check her mouth next time I feed her and give her dry if I can, then I’ll look at the grocery store for wet kitten food (I may have to go to Harrisonburg to a large pet store, but I’m willing to do that).

I feel bad for her poor eyes. The vet said she had a bacterial infection and gave her ointment, but her eyelids are red and look really sore. :brokenheart:
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Warm wet compresses can help her eyes. Just be sure to do the ointment - should be twice per day. Is it Terramycin? Eyes usually get better fast.

No Fancy Feast kitten? Usually the boxes of 12 3oz cans w/ 4 flavors are available. I have trouble getting the flats of 24 3oz cans of chicken that my Odie demands twice per day even though she is over a year old now. We got her and her sisters at 4 weeks old. She had a bad Rt eye infection. Odie now:
Attachments
Odiesm.jpg
Odiesm.jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

They were out of all wet kitten food.

Ointment is “Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates, and Bacitracin zinc”.

What a sweet girl! We have three outdoor cats (they conveyed with the house). One is a female tuxedo. I told the previous owner we’d feed them. she always claimed to be such an animal lover, and she had a gazillion outdoor cats. But all she did was feed them. And she put out big bowls of food which they would then fight over. So some got really fat, and some hardly ever ate food because they didn’t get any of it so they had to feed themselves on whatever they could find (but there’s plenty of food around here for cats who know how to hunt for it). There were three cats that she couldn’t trap, and we agreed to feed them. But we look out for them, and we only give them food if they show up. But we don’t leave bowls of food out. And we put Frontline on them, because they were all covered with fleas and ticks. In the five months we’ve lived here, they’ve all gotten a lot healthier. Their coats look better and this thinner ones have put on some weight. But they are strictly outdoor cats.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.facebook.com/thecatnamedcarrot

I think they're on Instagram and YT too, but I don't follow the there. Lovely cat and so patient with all the girls. The family had another ginger cat who crossed the rainbow bridge a couple of years ago, and they never thought they'd find another like her. I don't have time to search, but there is a lovely video of the oldest daughter holding the cat before they let her cross the bridge the she's singing you are my sunshine. :lovestruck: :brokenheart:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:27 am It’s too little for me to tell by looking. I’ll find out at the vet.

Stormy’s a female.

:faint: :lovestruck: :flirtyeyes: :daydreaming:
A rare and special kitty.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:58 pm https://www.facebook.com/thecatnamedcarrot

I think they're on Instagram and YT too, but I don't follow the there. Lovely cat and so patient with all the girls. The family had another ginger cat who crossed the rainbow bridge a couple of years ago, and they never thought they'd find another like her. I don't have time to search,
but there is a lovely video of the oldest daughter holding the cat before they let her cross the bridge the she's singing you are my sunshine
. :lovestruck: :brokenheart:
Here it is. Get Kleenex.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Not goin' to watch it. :cantlook: I saw it awhile back and still haven't recovered. :crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Born 7/29 under deck
Born 7/29 under deck
75143DB6-432B-4399-AE01-167ABA5A2F25.jpeg (158.14 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Return to “General Stuff”