Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:42 pm I wonder how many times he had to try before he got it all? So many places to crash and burn.
I'm thinking not many re-takes. That final back-flip is impressive -- he's got his moves.
Possibly true. But, ya know he practiced every move though perhaps not on this course. He got banged up and bloody someplace. Definitely talented. The best I could do at his age was back flips off the bridge into the bayou. Young men are invincible. Kinda.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:45 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:42 pm I wonder how many times he had to try before he got it all? So many places to crash and burn.
I'm thinking not many re-takes. That final back-flip is impressive -- he's got his moves.
Possibly true. But, ya know he practiced every move though perhaps not on this course. He got banged up and bloody someplace. Definitely talented. The best I could do at his age was back flips off the bridge into the bayou. Young men are invincible. Kinda.
Oh I agree he fell a few times before that final take.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Estiveo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:40 pm
That's one way to cure constipation.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I was gonna play the video until I saw P'girl's comment. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I may be behind the curve but... I just found out that if a Wikipedia entry shows a latitude/longitude link for a location, it links to an entry in “Geohack” that as well as other information contains links to a number of different mapping providers.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Uninformed wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:30 am I may be behind the curve but... I just found out that if a Wikipedia entry shows a latitude/longitude link for a location, it links to an entry in “Geohack” that as well as other information contains links to a number of different mapping providers.
Yeah.. I've used that a bunch, but I am also a maping fan.
101010 :towel:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

At 95, Dick Van Dyke is still the consummate showman. And he’s desperate to get back onstage.
As the sitcom legend and ‘Mary Poppins’ star picks up a Kennedy Center Honor, he plots another comeback
Dick Van Dyke .png
Dick Van Dyke .png (496.74 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
(I love the photo!)
LOS ANGELES — It's springtime in Los Angeles — the second spring of the covid-19 pandemic — and Dick Van Dyke, bearded, vaccinated and finished with his morning workout, admits he's antsy. His last singing gig took place on a Saturday night 15 months ago at the Catalina Jazz Club. He packed the house. They even had to cram in extra tables as Van Dyke, backed by horns, a rhythm section and his Vantastix singers, slid through a set that included Fats Waller, Nat King Cole and the title song from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

“Oh, God, I knew I liked it, but I didn’t know how much I would miss it,” he says of performing. “I really miss getting up in front of an audience.”

The legendary star of one of television’s most revolutionary shows is 95. He’s slowed down slightly in recent years — nagging arthritis and a gait abnormality known as drop foot force him to think before he skips — but compared with most everyone else, Van Dyke remains a step ahead. At home on this morning, he and his second wife, Arlene, 49, have already moved through sit-ups, stretches and the stationary bike.

Bathed in the Malibu sun, Van Dyke talks about a career that’s stretched from the Truman administration and the sitcom revolution of the 1960s to his reinvention as a mustachioed, homicide-investigating doctor before coming full circle with that shiver-inducing leap onto a desk in the 2018 “Mary Poppins” sequel. And Van Dyke can’t get far without praising his late friend Carl Reiner, the man who hired him in 1961 to put on that crisp suit so he could report to work as television writer Rob Petrie in “The Dick Van Dyke Show.”

“I got the best damn comedy writing in the world,” he says. “And then Walt called me about ‘Mary Poppins.’ ”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am So #2 son Alex Bob Todd whatever his name is starts his new job at an electrical parts warehouse on Monday. The email says to "report to a gentleman who goes by K2". :?

I told him to go in there and say "I'm looking for the second highest mountain on the planet." That will fool them into thinking he's a smart guy with a sense of humor, or if they don't get the reference then they're dumb and who cares. The guy is probably 6' 9" tall, that's why he goes by the name of a tall mountain.

'Course, if he turns out to be Karl Koenigs, I'll tell him to quit and we'll find something else. :lol:
We had a school chum who was crazy tall, and his nickname was “Chomolungma,” Tibetan for the highest mountain.

Mainly because it was so much fun to say on acid. I think.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:shock:

The jury reached a guilty verdict. Then the defendant fatally cut his own throat in a federal courtroom.
The jury read out its verdict on Monday afternoon inside a federal courthouse in Fargo, N.D.: Guilty.

A few minutes later, the defendant’s attorney noticed him pulling at his collar. “What the hell are you doing?” the lawyer asked, a witness to the scene recounted to WDAY News.

That’s when blood started gushing from his neck.

“He had slit his neck with some object. There was blood all over the walls in the courtroom, and the Marshals had wrestled him to the floor,” the witness told WDAY. “You could hear him screaming, ‘I can’t breathe.’”

The FBI confirmed to the Associated Press that the defendant died in the courtroom after cutting his own throat with an unknown object.

“I can’t remember the last time an event like this happened where somebody was able to smuggle in some contraband into a federal courtroom and die of a self-inflicted wound. Very, very, very odd. Very unusual,” FBI spokesman Kevin Smith told The Forum newspaper.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rt-guilty/
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Who knew there was a Fed court house in Fargo.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... om-erosion
Darwin’s Arch, a rock formation south-east of Darwin Island in the Galápagos archipelago, has collapsed due to natural erosion, Ecuador’s environment ministry said.

Images on the ministry Facebook page on Tuesday show two rocky pillars left at the northernmost island of the Pacific Ocean archipelago, which lies 600 miles (1,000km) off South America.

The post said: “This event is a consequence of natural erosion. Darwin’s Arch is made of natural stone that at one time would have been part of Darwin Island, which is not open to visits by land.

“This site is considered one of the best places on the planet to dive and observe schools of sharks and other species.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com
Leonardo DiCaprio pledges $43m to restore the Galápagos Islands
Environmentalist actor, with other conservation groups, aims to rewild the entire archipelago and other Pacific islands in Latin America

The initiative, in partnership with Re:wild, an organisation founded this year by a group of renowned conservation scientists and DiCaprio, the Galápagos National Park Directorate, Island Conservation, and local communities, aims to rewild the entire Galápagos Islands, as well as all of Latin America’s Pacific archipelagos.

The $43m pledge will fund Galápagos projects including efforts to restore Floreana Island, home to 54 threatened species, and reintroduce 13 locally extinct species, including the Floreana mockingbird – the first mockingbird described by Charles Darwin.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210518_150133.jpg
Image Image Image Image
magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Crazy thing and I don't know where else to post it, but I got SS Disability. The crazy part is it took me only 2 months to get it and no attorney. I filled out the application in late February and I got approved April 27th. I've never known anyone who didn't have to appeal and most of those folks took at least a year if not two to get it. I guess my doctors were persuasive because I didn't do anything special. I filled it out thinking I would give it a try since Disability pays more than taking SS early which is what I intended to do when I turned 62 in July.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Congratulations! I suspect that your documentation demonstrated the disability.

I used to represent people on appeal who were denied SSD. They pushed a disorder such as multi chemical sensitivity or Fibromyalgia, but failed to document the limitations they faced. It sounds like your medical providers provided the right information. I was successful in my cases, but my clients weren't happy b/c they thought they could just state the condition - not the impact on their lives. SSD is all about the actual, functional disability, not the diagnosis in most situations.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Lani wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:35 am Congratulations! I suspect that your documentation demonstrated the disability.

I used to represent people on appeal who were denied SSD. They pushed a disorder such as multi chemical sensitivity or Fibromyalgia, but failed to document the limitations they faced. It sounds like your medical providers provided the right information. I was successful in my cases, but my clients weren't happy b/c they thought they could just state the condition - not the impact on their lives. SSD is all about the actual, functional disability, not the diagnosis in most situations.
I definitely answered the questions about what I could and couldn't do and presumably my doctors backed it up. I was surprised, but apparently 37% of the people who apply do get a positive decision in 3 months, so it's not as rare as I thought.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yep, that's how it works. It's not the diagnosis. It's the impact on your life.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, magdalen77, I suspect your paperwork was so much better than others who applied, your application went sailing through.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:shock:
The occupants of a skyscraper in China’s southern city of Shenzhen were ordered to vacate the building after it began to shake, creating chaos in the surrounding streets. Officials say no earthquake was detected in the city.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

Over in the Assault on the Capitol thread, the question was raised about why Boy Scouts would buy Kotex.

Turns out Kotex are useful for many things. In the early days of TV broadcasting, RCA developed a transmitter tube for the then-high-power TT5 transmitter that had internally-water-cooled electrodes. Lots of water connections, and they always leaked.

One old-time TV engineer wrote:
I started my TV career as an engineer with a station that used a RCA TT5 transmitter. I remember that we used to buy Kotex feminine napkins to soak up water leaks in order to stay on the air when we had tube water leaks. I was assigned to pick up cases of Kotex at a janitorial supply store, for the transmitter site.
8d21.jpg
8d21.jpg (88.92 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

In scouting we called it, knowing and using your resources. :biggrin:
101010 :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

tek wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:23 am Over in the Assault on the Capitol thread, the question was raised about why Boy Scouts would buy Kotex.

Turns out Kotex are useful for many things.
Horse owners use those products for padding hooves with abscesses. Adult diapers are useful too. Cut product in half. Apply product to bottom of hoof after packing hoof with Epsom salts or sugardine, etc., wrap with vet wrap so boot will stay on, finish with duct tape.
magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:18 am Yeah, magdalen77, I suspect your paperwork was so much better than others who applied, your application went sailing through.
I don't know about that. I am a fairly decent writer though, so that probably helped with clarity.

Return to “General Stuff”