LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Fisheries minister did not read Brexit bill as she was busy at nativity
PM stands by Victoria Prentis over admission she was too ‘busy’ to read deal, as SNP calls for resignation

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-nativity

Boris Johnson has not read text of Brexit trade deal, Downing Street signals

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 87270.html

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

An IMHO:

I don't fail the fishery minister do not read her section of the Brexit deal on the day it got finalized. But I would have expected her and all other ministers to have studied their relevant parts prior to the voting in parliament by the end of the year. Even Boris Johnson I wouldn't expect to read 2000 pages of legalese, but I would have expected him to confirm to have read the management summeries of the various sections.

As for the difficulties the various industries have in adapting to reality of Brexit, I see a failure of the government and the public servants. The regulations that the EU has in place for third level countries, eg not bound to the EU with treaties, have been known since Brexit was the chosen path, they have not changed. The government could have set up the required bueaucracy well in advance of the expiration of the transition period. For the fish industry they could have had vets delegated to the ports and packaging sheds, no need to unload and open thousands of boxes of fishery products to perform health certifications at the wholesalers. And in general the UK government didn't really start software development to support the administrative procedures until mid-2020 (as I take it from my sources).

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

As Granny Weatherwax was fond of saying,

"Give the people what they want - and give it to 'em good and hard."

I've heard this bull before.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I can see that we are going be reading how dumb Brexit was/is/will be, it’s endless failures, and consequences both expected and unintentional, for god knows how many years. What a ridiculous and disastrous own goal.
At least America has got rid of possibly their worst ever President and with luck, apart from enjoying an ever worsening series troubles for him and his cohorts, will be able to ignore the malignant monster.
Yours not quite in despair but embarrassed,
England.
N.b. I am in the fortunate position to be comparatively unaffected. (Smug smiley)

bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 am They made their bed.....
To be fair, Northern Ireland and Scotland both voted to remain.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

bob wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Chilidog wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 am They made their bed.....
To be fair, Northern Ireland and Scotland both voted to remain.
Historians in the future may be recording the fact that Brexit was the breaking point, changing their mind to not remain, to not remain any longer as part of the UK. :shh:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Scottish fishermen land fish in Denmark to avoid post-Brexit red tape

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-brit ... ce=twitter
A fish auction in Hanstholm on Denmark’s west coast has so far this year sold 525 tonnes of fish from Scottish fishing vessels, more than double compared to the same period last year.

“We’ve had an awful lot of inquiries from Scottish fishermen about landing their catch in Hanstholm,” Jesper Kongsted, who heads the auction, told Reuters on Friday. “This is very good for our business.”

:snippity:

“Our industry is facing mounting financial losses. Many fishing vessels are tied to the quay wall,” Elspeth Macdonald, head of the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, said in a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday.

“Some are now making a 72-hour round trip to land fish in Denmark, as the only way to guarantee that their catch will make a fair price and actually find its way to market while still fresh enough to meet customer demands,” Macdonald said.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I have always considered the emphasis placed on fishing a red herring :bag: to focus the public on the facade of “sovereignty”, and the outcome being such a failure merely reinforces this. We had no cards up our sleeve and the EU knew this.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm Scottish fishermen land fish in Denmark to avoid post-Brexit red tape

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-brit ... ce=twitter

:snippity:
A snippet from another interview: it may be that the British fish processing companies that prepare the catch for export may lose significant business, even after the glitches have been worked out, cause fishermen may be happy with their new Denmark contracts and will not return the business (though a 72hour roundtrip seems contradictory to that).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

similar story of a Wales family business, owner voted for Brexit and invested much £.
Family-run business risks losing £50,000 worth of shellfish after Brexit delays at French border
Nerys Edwards said she was exhausted by the stress of waiting for £50,000-worth of shellfish to be given the green light to enter the EU

A fourth-generation shellfish wholesaler has sent £50,000-worth of fish to France and is in danger of having to write-off the whole load due to a paperwork anomaly.

Nerys Edwards, who runs her business alongside her daughter and two sons, said their future was hanging in the balance after the lorry load of lobsters, prawns and crabs was delayed for more than 30 hours on a lorry to Spain.

Ms Edwards owns Syren Shellfish, which exports shellfish from Welsh fishermen, and had sent the lorry from Pembrokeshire to the continent via Portsmouth.

But new border rules - brought in as part of the UK's new relationship with the European Union - stopped the lorry in the French port of Caen and is not being allowed to carry on until Ms Edwards resubmits paperwork.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... t-19622485
earlier:
'I voted out for my grandchildren!' Businesswoman says £40,000 Brexit hit is worth it
A LOYAL Brexiteer stunned a Channel 4 News reporter as she claimed to still support leaving the European Union even after she admitted to having spent £40,000 to prepare her farming and shellfish businesses for a no deal Brexit.
By ALESSANDRA SCOTTO DI SANTOLO
PUBLISHED: 10:28, Fri, Sep 27, 2019 | UPDATED: 18:16, Fri, Sep 27, 2019

Nerys Edwards of Syren Shellfish in Wales admitted to having already spent £40,000 to prepare her business for a no deal Brexit scenario. She said the extra burden on her company was unexpected as she did not imagine she would have to take on such an expense when she voted for Brexit in 2016. But asked whether she regretted voting to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum, she shocked the Channel 4 News reporter with a resounding and prompt “not at all”.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11833 ... -shellfish

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PS. I am waiting with baited / basted breath for the stories from other industries to show up. Like food retailers. And in spring farming. And more from the transport industry running the import and export of goods.

Return to “Current Events”