Rest in Peace

AndyinPA

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP

I think I remember reading an article about him in the Obama years.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 pm
RIP

I think I remember reading an article about him in the Obama years.
Imagine all the stuff he knew, and never could say. You don't work in the WH that long without being trusted. :daydream:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/chris ... index.html
Christo Vladimirov Javacheff, who was known for his monumental environmental artworks with his late wife, Jeanne-Claude Denat de Guillebon, has died. He was 84 years old.

Together, known simply as Christo and Jeanne-Claude, they wrapped iconic landmarks in fabric, such as the Pont Neuf in Paris in 1985 and the Reichstag in Berlin in 1995; and mounted thousands of orange gates in Central Park, redolent of Japan's sacred torii gates, in 2005.
RIP

I remember his work.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

She was the last American to collect a Civil War pension — $73.13 a month. She just died.

June 5, 2020

The check arrived every month: $73.13.

Irene Triplett, who lived in a North Carolina nursing home, rarely talked about the source of the money. She was the final American to receive a pension from the Civil War – $877.56 a year from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The jaw-dropping fact that someone in the year 2020 was still earning a Civil War pension was the result of two factors: First, Triplett suffered cognitive impairments, qualifying her for the lifelong pension as a helpless adult child of a veteran. Second, her father, Mose Triplett, who’d served as a private in the Confederate Army before defecting to the Union, was on his second marriage when she was born in 1930. He was just a few weeks away from turning 84.

On Sunday, Irene Triplett died at Accordius Health, a long-term care facility in Wilkesboro, N.C., at the age of 90. A relative said she’d broken her hip a few days earlier and died of complications. She never married, and her only brother had died in 1996.

https://www.boston.com/news/national-ne ... ar-pension

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Amazing. RIP

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Is this the woman of the family ‘The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All’ is based on? It sounds so familiar.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Lani posted in Musical Interlude
John Prine (October 10, 1946 – April 7, 2020) was an American country folk singer-songwriter. He was active as a composer, recording artist, and live performer from the early 1970s until his death, and was known for an often humorous style of original music that has elements of protest and social commentary.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

kate520 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Is this the woman of the family ‘The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All’ is based on? It sounds so familiar.
I don't think so. Teen women marrying men in their 50s and 60s wasn't uncommon, and the book was about a widow, not a surviving child. The book was also written about 30 years ago.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

They had children, though, Sugar. Daughter is what I thought.
I loved that book. Wasn’t able to get into Gurganis’ other books. I might try again.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Carol Barr, wife of U.S. Rep Andy Barr of Lexington, dies unexpectedly at age 39
Eleanor Carol Leavell Barr, the wife of U.S. Rep. Andy Barr, died unexpectedly in the family’s home Tuesday, according to Barr’s office. She was 39.

“During this tragic time, we respectfully ask for privacy for Congressman Barr and his family to grieve Mrs. Barr being called home to heaven,” Barr’s Chief of Staff Mary Rosado said. “Congressman Barr may release a more detailed statement at a later date, but right now is solely focused on being a father to his two beautiful daughters.”

Barr, who went by Carol, grew up in Georgetown and went to the University of Kentucky where she majored in communications and information. The couple married in 2008 and had two young girls. Barr worked for Pfizer and previously served as the executive director for the Henry Clay Center for Statesmanship in Lexington.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces’ sweetheart, dies aged 103

Jack Malvern
Thursday June 18 2020, 12.00pm BST, The Times

Dame Vera Lynn, the singer whose morale-boosting performances during the Second World War earned her the nickname “the Forces’ sweetheart”, has died aged 103.

Her best-known song, We’ll Meet Again, became such an anthem of national unity that the Queen referred to it this year in her televised address on the challenges of Covid-19.

Virginia Lewis-Jones, her daughter, said that her mother had died surrounded by her family. “Mummy passed away early this morning after a very bad chest infection,” she told The Times. “Everything was done that could possibly be done but at 103 she just couldn’t fight it.”

Speaking from the family home in Ditchling, East Sussex, she said that the infection was “absolutely not” Covid-19 because she had been tested.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -z8xzr07pk

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm
UK
Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces’ sweetheart, dies aged 103

Jack Malvern
Thursday June 18 2020, 12.00pm BST, The Times

Dame Vera Lynn, the singer whose morale-boosting performances during the Second World War earned her the nickname “the Forces’ sweetheart”, has died aged 103.

Her best-known song, We’ll Meet Again, became such an anthem of national unity that the Queen referred to it this year in her televised address on the challenges of Covid-19.

Virginia Lewis-Jones, her daughter, said that her mother had died surrounded by her family. “Mummy passed away early this morning after a very bad chest infection,” she told The Times. “Everything was done that could possibly be done but at 103 she just couldn’t fight it.”

Speaking from the family home in Ditchling, East Sussex, she said that the infection was “absolutely not” Covid-19 because she had been tested.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -z8xzr07pk
I just saw a sign this afternoon that said “Goodbye, your Majesty. We’ll meet again.” I was trying to figure out what it meant. I think I have my answer.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Jean Kennedy Smith Dies at 92; Helped Forge Peace in Northern Ireland

The last surviving sibling in a family that wrote itself into U.S. history, she was the first Kennedy woman of her generation to take on a serious political role.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/p ... -dead.html
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

RIP Bilbo
Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:cry: I have the sadz now.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... ce=twitter
British actor Ian Holm, best known for his roles in “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “Alien”, has died aged 88, the Guardian newspaper said on Friday.

The actor, who received an Oscar nomination for his performance in the 1981 film “Chariots of Fire”, had died from a Parkinson’s related illness, the paper said.

“It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” his agent told the paper. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer. Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.”
I know he had a lot of great roles, but RIP, Bilbo Baggins.

MRich

Post by MRich »

:crying: 98 is a good run, but still this makes me sad:

Carl Reiner

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl- ... 234694208/

He was still pretty active on Twitter - this from a couple days ago

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 am
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... ce=twitter
British actor Ian Holm, best known for his roles in “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and “Alien”, has died aged 88, the Guardian newspaper said on Friday.

The actor, who received an Oscar nomination for his performance in the 1981 film “Chariots of Fire”, had died from a Parkinson’s related illness, the paper said.

“It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” his agent told the paper. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer. Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.”
I know he had a lot of great roles, but RIP, Bilbo Baggins.
Ian Holm did one of the best performances of King Lear ever. It's available on Prime Video.

A short fellow with giant-sized talent. He will be missed. :(
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

MRich wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 am
:crying: 98 is a good run, but still this makes me sad:

Carl Reiner

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl- ... 234694208/

He was still pretty active on Twitter - this from a couple days ago
and he wanted so badly to vote out dotard

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:

Such a loss. RIP

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hugh Downs, Longtime Host of '20/20' and the 'Today' Show, Dies at 99

The broadcaster, with more than 10,000 hours on the air, also served as Jack Paar’s sidekick on 'The Tonight Show' and host of the game show 'Concentration.'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... -20-875939

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

W2: Hugh Downs was still alive?
W4: Not anymore.

Yet another in a series of “Death of Someone I Thought Was Already Dead”
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 am
W2: Hugh Downs was still alive?
W4: Not anymore.

Yet another in a series of “Death of Someone I Thought Was Already Dead”
The last time I saw Hugh he was driving a 1970-something Ford to Albuquerque or someplace downhill and was getting 19 MPG and bragging about it.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Return to “Current Events”