Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

Maybenaut

Re: Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

Post by Maybenaut » Mon May 06, 2019 7:21 pm

If the DOD discovered the graves, why are they asking FEMA?
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 pm

As expected, local government is denying the report of mass graves.

https://www.metro.pr/pr/noticias/2019/0 ... maria.html

However, skimming the discussion of the news story, it turns out mass graves were first reported by the secretary of health shorty after the hurricane (translation mine):
Bodies are being found, people that were buried. Related to the hurricane we have 19 dead, which were reported by the governor, but also people have made mass graves. We have been informed that people have buried their family members because they are in areas where help has not arrived yet.
http://periodismoinvestigativo.com/2017 ... -de-maria/

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Republicans in Puerto Rico are raising funds to build a Trump statue to thank him for the rebuilding. :rotflmao:

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Mass graves: CNN was on the ground covering this story early on. Coroners were overwhelmed. No power to preserve bodies. Many died from lack of medication. Some from injuries. Some from kerosene fires due to no electricity. Coroners could stack the decomposing bodies or release to families to bury. They chose the latter. I posted the reports early in this thread.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:19 am

I’ve kept discussing the mass graves issue in meat space since there’s just not much interest in it. I think the backup at the coroners office and mass graves are different things. The backup is confirmed and I believe still ongoing with extremely graphic details of decomposition for those with strong stomachs. The mass graves are people who couldn’t get to the coroners and currently it’s unconfirmed whether any exist.

On the topic, this article came out recently covering preventable deaths which our President later denied:
https://caribbeanbusiness.com/a-deadly- ... detect-it/

It’s hard to process that someone that lives ten minutes away from you could die from lack of potable water.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:10 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Republicans in Puerto Rico are raising funds to build a Trump statue to thank him for the rebuilding. :rotflmao:
i can save them a lot of money.

Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 am

No words

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:49 am

Local politics is in complete meltdown:
The back-and-forth was the latest distraction for a U.S. commonwealth government already trying to navigate a massive bankruptcy and recover from the devastation of Hurricane Maria. The drama could hurt the government’s efforts to restore confidence in its management abilities as it prepares next year’s budget and tries to strike a deal with creditors that would spare its economy.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-treasury

My attempt at a neutral summary:

The FBI is investigating government contracts and something at the state treasury department (unclear if the two are related). The treasury secretary then went on a radio show to claim the treasury department is completely corrupt and bribes and tit for tat is commonplace. After that interview the governor replaced the secretary, some sources say it was because of the interview others say he was fired for cooperating with the FBI. After he's fired, his son goes on social media and accuses the Governor of a multitude of corrupt acts including mismanaging disaster aid and being too close with one of the contractors the FBI is investigating. In apparent response to those accusations on social media, the cops investigate the former secretary's son for the firearms he owns apparently legally.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: situation with the coroners.

https://www.telemundopr.com/noticias/de ... 27631.html

One family is being told they may have to wait a year to bury their son.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am

Julia Keleher, the former education secretary of Puerto Rico, has been arrested by federal agents in Washington on charges related to fraud and corruption
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/campaign ... ested.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm
Re: situation with the coroners.

https://www.telemundopr.com/noticias/de ... 27631.html

One family is being told they may have to wait a year to bury their son.
The story says 90-120 days wait. Still an unconscionable time for the family to wait seeking closure after the positive ID. :cry:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 am

That's on me. The text says 120 days upper estimate for DNA tests, the family says 8 months until they can actually bury the guy around 2 minutes into the video.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Stateside media are now picking up the story:
The federal authorities in Puerto Rico unveiled a sprawling corruption investigation into high levels of the island’s government on Wednesday, announcing arrests and criminal charges against six people, including two former agency directors.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/us/p ... ption.html

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 am

Logs for a private chat that included the governor were leaked showing a slew of misogynistic comments including calling MMV a “puta” which literally translated means prostitute but is a stronger insult in Spanish in the shortened form.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Hannity has decided to make shit up:
The FBI arrested multiple officials in Puerto Rico Wednesday regarding a potential “payoff” scheme using American hurricane relief aid on the island following a series of natural disasters.
https://hannity.com/media-room/report-f ... -billions/

(This did not happen)

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Re: coroners office. Governors staff got caught joking about feeding corpses to critics.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:37 pm

The chat scandal is now at the top of the Twitter news tab (although I’m not sure if that’s regional):

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Good video in English giving an overview of the story.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

White House finally chimes in:
"The unfortunate events of the past week in Puerto Rico prove the President's concerns about mismanagement, politicization, and corruption have been valid," White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement. "We remain committed to Puerto Rico's recovery and steadfast in protecting taxpayers and the Puerto Rico survivors from political corruption and financial abuse."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/puerto-ric ... -protests/

Meanwhile protests last night unfortunately turned violent:

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 am

Today’s protest was peaceful until extremists in the crowd threw Molotov cocktails at the police. Expect that this will be used to discredit the entire cause tomorrow.

Edit: A reporter for CBS is arguing that the incendiary devices were thrown by the police and not by protesters. I don't personally believe this was the case but I'm gonna mention it to avoid accusations of bias.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:17 am

Steven Miller having an orgasm now thinking of ways to get that same mess started here on the mainland.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:57 am

Begnaud posted his summary of last nights events. There’s some debate about how exactly things turned violent.

https://www.noticel.com/ahora/gobierno/ ... 1096469198

As the aerial photographs make clear, this was a massive demonstration. I haven’t seen this many people in San Juan ever.

As to Stephen Miller. Just to clarify, things only got to this point because the governor lost essentially all support on the island. His own party is starting impeachment proceedings but he insists on not resigning. The mess is not beneficial to the governor in any way so it would be stupid for Trump to try to copy it.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:39 am

Trump finally chimes in. Tweet is light on facts. None of the current scandals involve stolen or mismanaged hurricane aid. The mayor of San Juan is not involved in any of the scandals. Etc.

Meanwhile a police station was robbed, 48 guns were stolen and a note threatening the governor was left. The comments argue it is a false flag.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/seg ... o-2506357/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm

The Governor did say that if someone shot the female Mayor of San Juan it would make his life easier (part of his group text :brickwallsmall: .) Of course, once again Fat Nixon attacks a woman of color. The Governor kissed Trump's ass in public after the hurricane so of course Trump will defend him.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 am

Begnaud is growing on me.

Return to “Current Events”