Sheriff Glenn Palmer - the King of Grant County

Whip

Re: Sheriff Glenn Palmer - Soon to Be Ex-Sheriff Palmer???

Post by Whip » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
thearmbarkid wrote:Image
I don't get it. :think:
[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

OregonBorn

Post by OregonBorn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:31 pm

COWS comes out in support of Palmer.

Archived for non facebook users. http://archive.is/eSIRh

Look for good and you will find it. Look for evil and it will surround you.
In life.. it takes far more positive actions to balance or erase a negative..

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm

I posted this mainly for the comments.
The Oath (with Chastity)
Like This Page · 5 hrs ·

"JOHN DAY – Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer invoked his right against self-incrimination 51 times while being questioned under oath about his handling of government records.

Palmer wouldn't answer questions about deleting emails dealing with public business and whether he had any emails related to the occupation earlier this year of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The sheriff used his Fifth Amendment right last week during a deposition in the lawsuit he faces from The Oregonian/OregonLive. The news organization sued Palmer, his office and his civil deputy in May to force disclosure of public records such as arrest reports, calendars, emails and cellphone invoices. The state public records law generally requires public officials to disclose such documents."

Full story: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... kes_t.html

Paul Niblock He should invoke it, as we all should. Don't talk to the law. Everyone should know better, particularly a Sheriff. Also, this article is misleading in that only a limited amount of documents are in dispute. This is a witchhunt for someone who understands the law and Constitution and has the authority to put the Federal government in check, if not the resources.
Sharon Walker so how do you figure he " has the authority to put the Federal government in check"? I love how you all claim such a thorough comprehension of the Constitution and the law. Not even close.

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:55 pm

OregonBorn wrote:COWS comes out in support of Palmer.

Has anyone sent that to Les for FYI and fact checking on their statements on his background? Not that they'd twist the facts or anything...

OregonBorn

Post by OregonBorn » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Kendra wrote:
OregonBorn wrote:COWS comes out in support of Palmer.

Has anyone sent that to Les for FYI and fact checking on their statements on his background? Not that they'd twist the facts or anything...
Not that I am aware of. COWS is not factual in their information that is a given.

Look for good and you will find it. Look for evil and it will surround you.
In life.. it takes far more positive actions to balance or erase a negative..

HumbleScribe

Post by HumbleScribe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
SueDB wrote:I would think taking the 5th by these two at least means that there's something there to be a deeper investigation/scrutiny of all county functions.
I would be interesting to see what a full forensic audit of the county government would turn up. It's hard to hide crap from good auditors. It's that - oh, were off a penny doesn't cut it. They want to know where the penny came from, what it did while in the county's possession, and where it went.

Audits doomed Al Capone and many other mobsters.

I vote for a full audit by the State Agency (whichever does this sort of thing) in conjunction with the Attorney General's office.

I vote Humble Scribe be appointed as the head of an independent investigation once our star reporter returns from Portland imbedded duty.
I am tickled that you would consider me for this dubious job, TRL. However, it is probably one of those situations where the county did not have very good internal controls to begin with. Tiny counties with limited budgets and unsophisticated employees generally will not have the same controls in effect as a much larger county with zillions of dollars flowing through the treasury. It is evident that Grant County had no controls over its public email servers, so why are we to think that any other sort of activity (like the concealed weapons permits) would have any sort of checks and balances, reconciliations or other internal mechanisms to reduce the incidence of error, misuse or abuse?

We cannot audit what we cannot see. If there is fraud involved, then the fraud is only as strong as the weakest conspirator to the fraud. It may not be worth the expense involved to go after someone like Palmer when we consider the overall financial impact, particularly if he loses in November.

Finally, could you imagine the disruption to the daily activities of Grant County if a bunch of forensic accountants descended upon the various county agencies and started combing through records, asking questions and doing their best to find out what has been going on? And with so many of the people there who border on unstable, it might not be the best place for us mild-mannered, bespectacled and nerdy bean counters.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:40 am

To Humble Scribe/Star Reporter:

Thanks for the audit description. Good point about trying to find fraud in small areas with few "controls" other than the constipational sherf. Perhaps the public records lawsuit is enough heat or illumination to get him out of office. :P

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:To Humble Scribe/Star Reporter:

Thanks for the audit description. Good point about trying to find fraud in small areas with few "controls" other than the constipational sherf. Perhaps the public records lawsuit is enough heat or illumination to get him out of office. :P
I don't believe the mild-mannered auditor description. My eldest son is a CPA and an auditor. He plays drums-jazz/rock/fusion, DJs the KC annual craft brew event, and can sing falsetto in key. The boy is cool.

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:32 am

Sheriff Glenn Palmer contradicts earlier statements about emails

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... t_242.html
JOHN DAY – Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer says he "never reviewed" a state policy that he has cited as justification for destroying government emails.

In a recent deposition, Palmer also contradicted his earlier claim that it was practice in his office to print emails, file the hard copies and then delete the electronic versions. Under oath, he said his office has no such policy and he never told his employees to handle emails that way.

He also testified that he released cellphone records only after redacting personal calls, including calls to people associated with the militia.

Palmer's disclosures came under questioning by a lawyer for The Oregonian/OregonLive as part of a lawsuit seeking public records. In May, The Oregonian/OregonLive sued Palmer and his office after he ignored or declined several requests for records dating to February. That included police reports, cellphone records, emails, his calendar and records of handgun licenses. Oregon law generally makes such material open to the public.
[bbvideo=560,315][/bbvideo]

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 am

Volkonski wrote:Sheriff Glenn Palmer contradicts earlier statements about emails

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... t_242.html
And,
In the deposition, Palmer said:

* He considered calls to or from those associated with the occupation of the Malheur National Wildilfe Refuge to be "personal" so they didn't have to be disclosed to the public.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 am

Unless OR law is different than what I am familiar with, if he made cell or phone calls on a county phone then too bad so sad, those are public as well, and probably indicate malfeasance. Or as our local DA said when prosecuting a local cop for illegal behavior, just because you made what you consider a private booty call, as well as other personal calls having to do with illicit activity, on a city phone doesn't mean it is privileged. He lost and the charges were upheld and he was dismissed. There were a number of other things, but the booty calls were definitely a part of it. it sounds very much to me like Palmer got caught with his hands in the cookie jar and is trying real hard to cover it all up. I suspect they are going to have to go back to court to get the subpoenas fully enforced.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Cleaning out the screenshots folder. Found this gem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm

Kendra wrote:Cleaning out the screenshots folder. Found this gem.
Oh Jeebus, I had forgotten "Onion Skin." I think I laughed harder this time around than when this comment first surfaced. Thanks!
:rotflmao:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Les gets his very own Klatt drawing.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Sorry Sheriff. I'm on team Preacher!! :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Suranis wrote:Sorry Sheriff. I'm on team Preacher!! :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

:like:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:41 pm

http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/Local_ ... UE.twitter
“There have been no contribution/expense activity reported despite a campaign that has lawn signs and large signs posted throughout the county,” Kelly said in the complaint. “Two full-page ads have run in the local paper paid for by ‘Citizens of Grant County and Beyond in Full Support of Sheriff Palmer’ ... At the present time, there is no such PAC registered with ORESTAR.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:09 am

Is this Tuesday Palmer's election day too? If he is voted out of office, is that fairly immediate, or does he get to stay in office a bit longer?

HumbleScribe

Post by HumbleScribe » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:02 am

I just checked the Grant County election results at 07:00 PST, and ole Shurf Palmenr has 51% of the vote.

DAMMIT.

:explode:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 am

HumbleScribe wrote:I just checked the Grant County election results at 07:00 PST, and ole Shurf Palmenr has 51% of the vote.

DAMMIT.

Did you really expect anything else when so many people voted for the Orange Shitgibbon? Palmer's an intelligent, humane, consistent, law-abiding, respectful person in comparison with the new Commander-in-Chief.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
HumbleScribe wrote:I just checked the Grant County election results at 07:00 PST, and ole Shurf Palmenr has 51% of the vote.

DAMMIT.

Did you really expect anything else when so many people voted for the Orange Shitgibbon? Palmer's an intelligent, humane, consistent, law-abiding, respectful person in comparison with the new Commander-in-Chief.
Hopefully the state will go after his accreditation and they'll have to hold a special election to replace him.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 pm

http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/Local_ ... legal-fees
The Grant Count Court does not intend to cover attorney fees for Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer related to a public records lawsuit filed by The Oregonian newspaper.

In a unanimous motion Dec. 28, the court members said, after investigation, they will not pay the $78,000 in attorney fees requested by The Oregonian, or fees incurred in Palmer’s defense, because the lawsuit was not covered under the Oregon Tort Claims Act. They also requested county attorney Ron Yockim to further investigate the matter and said they may revisit it.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:10 am

That has to be one of the most poorly written and proofed article I have seen in a long time. I'd be embarrassed if I were the local editor.

I think either the county or the attorney is really confused here. If I understand it correctly this was an open records suit, and the county and sheriff lost, whether they like it or not they should have to pay the newspaper's fees. The sheriff is a county officer, and whether he was acting legally or not, he caused the situation, and they are liable, although I think they should be able to come back on him for the actual expenses since he was acting illegally.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:That has to be one of the most poorly written and proofed article I have seen in a long time. I'd be embarrassed if I were the local editor.

I think either the county or the attorney is really confused here. If I understand it correctly this was an open records suit, and the county and sheriff lost, whether they like it or not they should have to pay the newspaper's fees. The sheriff is a county officer, and whether he was acting legally or not, he caused the situation, and they are liable, although I think they should be able to come back on him for the actual expenses since he was acting illegally.
The county isn't listed as one of the parties sued.
The Oregonian requested the attorney fees after suing Palmer, the sheriff’s office and Civil Deputy Sally DeFord, requesting a judge to declare certain records to be public records and to compel their disclosure, according to documents filed in Grant County Circuit Court. The Oregonian said in the documents Palmer refused to produce the records before the lawsuit, which entitles them to attorney fees.
District Attorney Jim Carpenter ordered Palmer and DeFord to produce the records when they were requested by The Oregonian, but the records were not released until the lawsuit was filed.

Myers said Palmer’s actions regarding the records were personal, not in his official duties as sheriff.

Oregon law defines a tort as a “breach of a legal duty that is imposed by law ... which results in injury to a specific person or persons for which the law provides a civil right of action for damages or for a protective remedy.”

Except in cases of malfeasance in office or willful or wanton neglect of duty, Oregon law requires public bodies, such as the county court, to defend its officers for acts occurring in the performance of their duties.
It sounds pretty clear to me that the county isn't liable because the Sheriff wasn't acting within the scope of his duties. Refusing to release the info after being ordered to by the DA drops it right back in Palmer's lap.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 am

IMO:

(1) The county is probably not obligated to cover Palmer's fees, although that might become a complicated issue depending on the specifics of the contract that was signed with Palmer's lawyer.

(2) The county probably will be obligated to cover the newspaper's fees. Producing the records was a governmental obligation and the failure to produce the records was a governmental failure. The fact that the governmental failure was the result of clear malfeasance on Palmer's part doesn't change the fact that the government had the responsibility to comply with the request. It's basically the same situation as the Maricopa County thing with the attorneys' fees resulting from Arpaio's contempt.

(3) The county may be able to go after Palmer to recover anything they pay out to the newspaper.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”